As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Running a Win95 game on Windows 8 [Solved!]

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited March 2019 in Help / Advice Forum
So I grabbed this at a swap meet:

20190224_1028270.jpg?width=440&height=591

This game is Old.

Untitled.png

Folder contents:
unknown.png?width=400&height=207

I tried compatibility mode, but no dice; it only does Win 95, this needs 3.1.

I have DOSBox thanks to GOG games, but it says it has to be run under Win32. Is DOSBox my best bet, or should I try another avenue?

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Win95 and 3.1 run on DOS so you should be able to run them in DOSBOX and run it that way.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    If it's Windows 3.1/95 then it's very likely going to be a 16-bit Windows program, which will never ever run on a 64-bit OS. You will need either a virtual machine, an actual old machine, or(but I can't make promises on this one) a 32-bit version of Windows 8/10 with NTVDM enabled to run 16-bit applications.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Win95 and 3.1 run on DOS so you should be able to run them in DOSBOX and run it that way.

I tried, it gave me an error. Do I need a special version?

wVEsyIc.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    If you can filter through the childish bickering you can try what's laid out here.

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=44878

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    You are going to livestream and record your playthrough of this game interactive experience, right?

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    You are going to livestream and record your playthrough of this game interactive experience, right?

If I get it running, sure.

wVEsyIc.png
    This is what DOSBox tells me:
    unknown.png?width=609&height=412

wVEsyIc.png
    Progress...

unknown.png?width=400&height=273

TLDR - I found a shell for Win 3.1 that you run INSIDE DosBox. OSception, yeesh.

wVEsyIc.png
    After an hour of struggling...

unknown.png?width=400&height=300

The captain has denied my request to stay on board. :D

wVEsyIc.png