As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Division 2] Launching in March! Beta has started.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    The only skill I’ve felt was underwhelming was the adhesive launcher. Sentry Gun and Seeker are essentially the same as the first game but with neater manual controls and the drone, at least the Replenisher version, it’s stupid good at keeping things alive.

Yeah but like the sentry gun is a division 1 skill, the sniper version new to this one is mostly garbage, limited ammo, doesn't do enough per shot and has to be baby sit. Its like the seeker mine which is the div 1 version is way better than the airburst variant change for division 2. Or how the drone has a decent heal version or a "what are they thinking" mortar strike seemed to me to either not work, or have enemies dodge it when I tried it. Maybe on pc its better, but on xbox its not.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I’m getting way more kills with the Div2 Airburst seeker and Sentry. Seems to be a lot easier to target.

-Loki- on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    How do people feel about weapon attachments as unlocked skills

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I downloaded the demo and played the first mission. I guess I don't "get it". What is the point of this game? As someone who never played Division 1, I don't really even know what this game *is*. Is it a loot shooter? An RPG? Is there a story? What is the goal of the player?

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    In general I like them. The concept of bonuses and maluses is neat and I like not having to grind to get a certain combo of rolls. I also like that because they provide a malus of some kind the bonus effects are pretty strong so the mod attachments feel substantial.

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I downloaded the demo and played the first mission. I guess I don't "get it". What is the point of this game? As someone who never played Division 1, I don't really even know what this game *is*. Is it a loot shooter? An RPG? Is there a story? What is the goal of the player?

Yes, yes, and yes.

The goal of Division 1 was to murder a bunch of dudes named Alex in order to obtain ever-fancier beanies.

The goal of Division 2 seems to be ignoring political under- and overtones to help a series of squatter communes become fancier.

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Division 2's plot seems a bit odd to me. The last one was 'there's a virus in NYC', this one has gone full-on Fallout 3 post-apocalypse. Not complaining, but it feels like a strange escalation.

• squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular

There is a story - it takes you through different missions as you deal with factions and unlock upgrades for your base (assuming it continues to work like Division 1). It's a looter shooter with heavy emphasis on the loot and gear build and not as much on the finesse of the actual shooting. So like a Diablo or Anthem as far as gear goes. What I think makes it feel weird for some people is A. the setting being fairly realistic instead of sci fi/ fantasy and B. it being a 3rd person cover based iteration of the looter shooter genre.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I'm all in on the 15th. . .

It's also a bit early to talk about plot when we've seen all of three main missions from the game.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    The beta has completely convinced me to get this. I was on the fence partially because of the no Steam version but I've had a lot of fun playing. And as an added bonus it doesn't run like complete garbage on my computer (unlike Anthem). I've got it at mostly high with a couple ultra settings and have for the most part been able to maintain 60 FPS.

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • NumiNumi Registered User regular
    My biggest issue with the skills right now is the excessive cooldown on some things but that might become a non-issue at endgame with proper skillpower.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Unlocked the Firestarter Chem Launcher and while it's clunky to use, it's a lot of fun. See a few dudes in cover? Lob one over there and laugh when their muzzle flash ignites them all. In the library side mission I managed to land one with fuel containers all around. Half the zone we were fighting in lit up.
    Division 2's plot seems a bit odd to me. The last one was 'there's a virus in NYC', this one has gone full-on Fallout 3 post-apocalypse. Not complaining, but it feels like a strange escalation.

Yeah I thought this too. But the first game was pretty apocalyptic too, just had JTF instead of civilian patrols. The settlements are the biggest leap to me - 7 months is a short time and these settlements are pretty intricate. The cutscene with the woman at the settlement gave the impression of a long fight for the area, which is at odds with the 7 month gap. But then, 7 months could feel like an eternity when you're fighting for your life every day.

-Loki- on
  • squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    Unlocked the Firestarter Chem Launcher and while it's clunky to use, it's a lot of fun. See a few dudes in cover? Lob one over there and laugh when their muzzle flash ignites them all. In the library side mission I managed to land one with fuel containers all around. Half the zone we were fighting in lit up.

Yeah I thought this too. But the first game was pretty apocalyptic too, just had JTF instead of civilian patrols. The settlements are the biggest leap to me - 7 months is a short time and these settlements are pretty intricate. The cutscene with the woman at the settlement gave the impression of a long fight for the area, which is at odds with the 7 month gap. But then, 7 months could feel like an eternity when you're fighting for your life every day.

The thing that was weird to me about the settlements (or at least the Theatre settlement) is why would you make this weirdly elaborate community out of this place. Why not, you know, fortify an apartment building or several that are close together. It seems weird to abandon housing that exists and could be re-purposed to create a impromptu living space out of a theatre and its rooftops.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    squall99x wrote: »

The thing that was weird to me about the settlements (or at least the Theatre settlement) is why would you make this weirdly elaborate community out of this place. Why not, you know, fortify an apartment building or several that are close together. It seems weird to abandon housing that exists and could be re-purposed to create a impromptu living space out of a theatre and its rooftops.

concentrations of contaminated areas, would be one reason.

better circulation of air/open areas and a general fear of enclosed spaces that could spread disease quickly could be another.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”

The first game was a contained disaster zone, whereas this is a fairly large open environment that's been fucked for months. It feels more like the whole country is fucked, maybe the world. If people have spent 7 months building settlements here, that might mean the game's more about rebuilding in the ashes of civilisation, which is thematically pretty different from the first.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    squall99x wrote: »

concentrations of contaminated areas, would be one reason.

better circulation of air/open areas and a general fear of enclosed spaces that could spread disease quickly could be another.

Also there are small dressers and flower pots blocking the staircases in most of the buildings. There it no way a human could get through that to access the higher levels!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

The first game was a contained disaster zone, whereas this is a fairly large open environment that's been fucked for months. It feels more like the whole country is fucked, maybe the world. If people have spent 7 months building settlements here, that might mean the game's more about rebuilding in the ashes of civilisation, which is thematically pretty different from the first.

Yeah fair enough. Just agreeing that it feels super different to the first game. Which is good, gives both games a distinct feel.

I did Viewpoint Museum. That was a fun mission, including the EMP generators from Underground which fucks your abilities until they're gone.

Div 1 had a couple radio signals/indicators that the virus hit everywhere. Which makes sense something highly contagious that originated in new york and presented as just an aggressive flu would have spread like wildfire around the world. Like by the time people realized what it was pretty much everywhere not remote as fuck would have it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »
    Div 1 had a couple radio signals/indicators that the virus hit everywhere. Which makes sense something highly contagious that originated in new york and presented as just an aggressive flu would have spread like wildfire around the world. Like by the time people realized what it was pretty much everywhere not remote as fuck would have it.

Yeah, it spread very quickly.

Also, there were/are asymptomatic carriers. The Cleaners were right!

Well they were right in like body disposal was going to be a harsh but necessary thing needed in great numbers in new york, they just uhh well didn't exactly discriminate on what a "body" was...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

In the Division 1, there was a weaponized small pox attack that happened during Black Friday in New York. People got sick, then started dying, the city panicked, things went to shit, etc.

The Division itself is a super secret military organization that only gets called to action during extreme events. The first wave went to New York to secure things in the immediate aftermath of the virus attack. It didn't go well. Many agents were killed, some defected once they saw how little support they had... in the long run, things got worse, with various militarized civilian (and former Division) factions running the city, and making life terrible for the innocent civilians and first responders that still remain.

You play as an agent of the second wave, sent in to fix the mess. It seems like it takes place sometime the following February given the timeline (could be wrong).

So, yeah, there's definitely a story. It ranges from trying to secure the city neighborhood by neighborhood, to trying to get basic services up and running, to pushing back against the various bad guy factions, to trying to find out who engineered the virus, exactly how it was weaponized, and if a cure can be found. Plus other stuff.

It's a loot shooter. Gotta get that gear.

It has RPG elements. You get skills, perks, and abilities as you level up.

Your goal is to progress through the story. The endgame (at least, in the first game) largely takes place in an area called the Dark Zone, which is where the first wave had its greatest failure. It's extremely lawless and dangerous, with slightly altered gameplay from the rest of the map.

I played through the first's level 1-30 story and liked it, although I never bothered with the endgame stuff (seemed to be mostly shooting stuff for shooting stuff's sake with little to no story content).

Well they were right in like body disposal was going to be a harsh but necessary thing needed in great numbers in new york, they just uhh well didn't exactly discriminate on what a "body" was...

Probably the most chilling 'found footage' in the first game was the person hiding in the shop from the Cleaners.

I'm enjoying the demo (especially now I've got a nice high damage, low ROF rifle), but the UI is pretty nasty on PC. Menus require clicking, tab, ctrl, V, F, E, Q... there's also a bunch of icons there that don't mean anything to me.

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    UI is terrible but the game seems pretty fun from the first couple missions I played.
    Not very optimized though, I got an overclocked 1070ti and can barely push over 60 with some stuff at medium.

edited March 2019
    Have they said whether or not chests containing gear/weapons will respawn (or scale, assuming there's world tiers) in the world?

I'm assuming the random bags of mats will respawn similar to the lootable areas in D1.

tastydonuts on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

In the Division 1, there was a weaponized small pox attack that happened during Black Friday in New York. People got sick, then started dying, the city panicked, things went to shit, etc.

The Division itself is a super secret military organization that only gets called to action during extreme events. The first wave went to New York to secure things in the immediate aftermath of the virus attack. It didn't go well. Many agents were killed, some defected once they saw how little support they had... in the long run, things got worse, with various militarized civilian (and former Division) factions running the city, and making life terrible for the innocent civilians and first responders that still remain.

You play as an agent of the second wave, sent in to fix the mess. It seems like it takes place sometime the following February given the timeline (could be wrong).

So, yeah, there's definitely a story. It ranges from trying to secure the city neighborhood by neighborhood, to trying to get basic services up and running, to pushing back against the various bad guy factions, to trying to find out who engineered the virus, exactly how it was weaponized, and if a cure can be found. Plus other stuff.

It's a loot shooter. Gotta get that gear.

It has RPG elements. You get skills, perks, and abilities as you level up.

Your goal is to progress through the story. The endgame (at least, in the first game) largely takes place in an area called the Dark Zone, which is where the first wave had its greatest failure. It's extremely lawless and dangerous, with slightly altered gameplay from the rest of the map.

I played through the first's level 1-30 story and liked it, although I never bothered with the endgame stuff (seemed to be mostly shooting stuff for shooting stuff's sake with little to no story content).

That's exactly my experience.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited March 2019
    Aridhol wrote: »
    UI is terrible but the game seems pretty fun from the first couple missions I played.
    Not very optimized though, I got an overclocked 1070ti and can barely push over 60 with some stuff at medium.

I’m running a 1070gtx and an i7 6600 and I can run at high 1440p, though I turn down extra streaming (higher settings are meant for SSDs) and Volumetric Fog (mostly because Volumetric Clouds are an FPS killer in AC Odyssey and I figured Fog would be the same). Haven’t run an FPS checker but it’s smooth gameplay.

Guessing optimisation is something that’ll get worked on after release when it starts hitting different PC configs in large quantities.

-Loki- on
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Have they said whether or not they're chests containing gear/weapons will respawn (or scale, assuming there's world tiers) in the world?

I'm assuming the random bags of mats will respawn similar to the lootable areas in D1.

I *think* I've seen a gun chest respawn in a control point, they definitely scale with level if it was a refreshed one.

I played the Invaded mission this morning and the changes to Signature ammo spawn are very noticable, I was getting a couple of drops per encounter for the first 2/3 of the level which was sweet. Also I think the difficulty might have been reduced, or things were just clicking a bit more this time.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Have they said whether or not they're chests containing gear/weapons will respawn (or scale, assuming there's world tiers) in the world?

I *think* I've seen a gun chest respawn in a control point, they definitely scale with level if it was a refreshed one.

I played the Invaded mission this morning and the changes to Signature ammo spawn are very noticable, I was getting a couple of drops per encounter for the first 2/3 of the level which was sweet. Also I think the difficulty might have been reduced, or things were just clicking a bit more this time.

Haven't played the invaded mission yet for the open beta but it could be due to them decreasing ttk for players and enemies slightly, also using the signature weapon would help too. It was basically a boss delete button when I played the sniper in closed beta.

• NumiNumi Registered User regular
    The overall difficulty was reduced quite a bit from how it was in the private beta. But you can still get rolled pretty hard if you don't watch the positioning, there is a certain parking garage section that can still become a total mess if you spread out too much and give the enemy a flanking route.

• Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    I played Div 1 and played the beta this weekend, expecting to like it. I was not disappointed. I had trouble with the drone and getting the seeker where I wanted it, but otherwise it was fine. What was really strange was the location.

SO I WORK IN THE RONALD REAGAN BUILDING (aka the Jefferson Trade Building). I have to admit that it was an unbelievably detailed rendering of the building and its interior. The detail was stunning. Specifically, they captured a few details in a way that made me wince. There are connective hallways and stairwells that connect the food court to the parking garage that were replicated in an exact way.

I almost wonder WHY they put that much detail in, but it is there either way. I look forward to seeing which other building received this attention because the streets clearly reflect what I would call a "google street view" level of reality. That wasn't unexpected (i.e. freedom plaza and the Willard as central locations) but the interior was very surprising.

It will certainly make my arrival at work tomorrow feel a bit strange, but I guess I now know that the California Tortilla is a great place to fend off bad guys attacking from the Commerce Building underground tunnel.

m!ttens wrote: »

Haven't played the invaded mission yet for the open beta but it could be due to them decreasing ttk for players and enemies slightly, also using the signature weapon would help too. It was basically a boss delete button when I played the sniper in closed beta.

Yeah, I played enough to finish the first mission and the boss' armor broke so much faster. Feels like 1-2 seconds for a red bar, 3-5 seconds for a vet, ~10 of sustained fire for the named. Generally seems like all enemies have less armor than the previous go, possibly due to spawn adjustments.

Like Hyena rushers weren't as full of the helmeted ones, etc.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    As someone unwilling to tolerate the Anthem launch state, ever does Division fall based on the beta?

What is this I don't even.
  • CroakerCroaker Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    As someone unwilling to tolerate the Anthem launch state, ever does Division fall based on the beta?

The pace of fixes between closed and open beta is a good indicator. It's impossible to tell until release, obviously, but this is a much more feature-complete game with fewer major/structural issues.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    That's cool that the beta runs through the end date. I've been out of town since Thursday so I figured I'd only get a couple hours tonight when I land but it looks like I'll get all tomorrow as well, since it doesn't went until 1am PST on the 5th.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I saw someone on reddit with a thread that was basically "no huge loading screens and you can set map waypoints? GOTY"

For me I am greatly enjoying it coming from Div1, there's a bit of wonkyness in some parts of the UI/UX but most of that is things that can be actually patched (I hope), fingers crossed that the Div1 inventory behavior of mark as junk, auto scroll to next item is at the top of that list.

7qmGNt5.png
    You guys know you can loot directly to junk, right? Either when quick looting (right stick on a controller) or selecting it when examining loot before picking up.

Oh definitely if it's clear downgrades, but sometimes I'll just grab stuff and compare it later

7qmGNt5.png
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    So I haven't paid any attention to this game since it was announced. Saw that there was an open beta and decided that I enjoyed the bit of time I put into 1 so lets check it out.

Game seems mostly like what I remember from 1 so far but man is this UI straight garbage. It's very clear that it was designed for consoles and that they just ported it straight over to the PC and only slapped different button prompts on it. I don't know if this was a thing with the first since I played that on PS4.

It took me longer than I care to admit to realize I had to either double click on the menu option or click and hold space. Also the whole design is just really hard to read on PC since you're using a mouse to select the different options instead of having to use a dpad or analog stick to move through the various options and, I assume, have it highlight the various options as you cycle through them.

Easily my biggest complaint out of the few hours I've played. The whole PC UI needs to be overhauled.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
    Not sure if it was the group I got paired with but I had a lot f trouble with the Invaded mission this time. We wiped several times. Also I had worse signature ammo drops than the Private beta which was annoying.

I definitely noticed boss armour sections breaking faster though, which was a very nice change.