As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Purple
    Stragint wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Got any blues or purples or greens? Oil can look like any of those depending on the thickness of the film and its contaminants.

Would any of those colors look weird on gold?

I'm gonna be painting some spots gold on the skeleton and weapons and the armor plates are going to be Space Wolves colors.

A blue wash can look nice on gold, keeping in mind that it will dull it down quite a bit. I haven't tried it but I imagine the same can be said for purple washes.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Green is a pretty universally used color for radiation

I was thinking about that, but I already use a bright green for glowy eyes and sensors as contrast to the red armour. Hrmmm.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Maybe paint their bases deader than the rest of the army. Put some black withered plants on them.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Got any blues or purples or greens? Oil can look like any of those depending on the thickness of the film and its contaminants.

Would any of those colors look weird on gold?

I'm gonna be painting some spots gold on the skeleton and weapons and the armor plates are going to be Space Wolves colors.

A blue wash can look nice on gold, keeping in mind that it will dull it down quite a bit. I haven't tried it but I imagine the same can be said for purple washes.

Just curious how blue, green, or purple will look over the skeleton. I have almost all the wash colors so I have some options.

For now I'm gonna paint small details on the skeleton gold, probably retributor gold, something really shiny to start since I plan on doing the shoulder pad trim gold.

I plan on doing the exhaust pipes at the top warplock bronze.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    [
    It actually seems like there is something wrong with the trigger. It isn't pushing all the way up when I release it so it keeps releasing air and paint. Not sure how to fix it.

When you look at where the airbrush connects to the air hose, when you push the trigger that makes a little pin descend, letting the air in. Is anything interfering with the actuation of that? With those quick change connectors I was talking about up-thread, something about them is slightly off from my regular who connector so that when I press the trigger, that pin gets jammed somehow and doesn't close completely, meaning air and paint keep flowing even when I release the trigger.

• Options
    [
    It actually seems like there is something wrong with the trigger. It isn't pushing all the way up when I release it so it keeps releasing air and paint. Not sure how to fix it.

When you look at where the airbrush connects to the air hose, when you push the trigger that makes a little pin descend, letting the air in. Is anything interfering with the actuation of that? With those quick change connectors I was talking about up-thread, something about them is slightly off from my regular who connector so that when I press the trigger, that pin gets jammed somehow and doesn't close completely, meaning air and paint keep flowing even when I release the trigger.

I'll have to check it when I'm airbrushing tomorrow. It is all put away right now.

I wish I had like a paint by numbers thing to look at as a guide while painting. Not really sure were else I want to put paint before the wash.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Purple
    Time to earn my keep around here. Finished the bases for my terminators that have been done for a year:
    Jg35h4l.jpg

Now moving on to some breachers, but they are giving me a real hard time because I was an idiot who fully assembled them before painting.

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    I a few weeks ago I found out about Warcolours' Nostalgia '88 line, a recreation of the original Citadel Colour line that came in the tall round pots that P3 uses currently - the ones that last decades without drying out. I ordered the core set about 5 days ago and they arrived from Cyprus yesterday!

CYZWpv6l.jpg?1

They are the real deal. The look, the consistency, the smell, everything is as I remember it. A gold that isn't just a sparkly yellow! I feel like a kid again. I cannot recommend these paints enough. I'm about to go order another set and the inks right now. If you were ever curious as to what all the fuss was about, you owe it to yourself to grab some. Also I hear that all the other Warcolour products are great too.

I also snagged some kolinsky sable brushes that turned out to be pretty great for the price.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Agh, I'd be very tempted to buy that if it wasn't for those damn caps... :/
    Also, did they lift the ban on importing Kolinsky to the US?

Also also, I've finished the CSM... I'm putting it in a spoiler as I don't wanna look like I'm raking up points, heh (it's just some minor corrections and a base).
    TD6kJQr.jpg

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    The amount of contrast on that power armor makes me feel things.

In my dick.

• Options
    Trying to clean off some old models again. Isopropyl alcohol isn't really doing anything to clean these off.

This is so tedious to do.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Purple
    Trying to clean off some old models again. Isopropyl alcohol isn't really doing anything to clean these off.

Try to find some Biostrip 20 if you can. I don't know what the hell's in it but it's absolutely incredible at stripping paint from plastic and metal.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Mayday wrote: »
    Agh, I'd be very tempted to buy that if it wasn't for those damn caps... :/
    Also, did they lift the ban on importing Kolinsky to the US?

Also also, I've finished the CSM... I'm putting it in a spoiler as I don't wanna look like I'm raking up points, heh (it's just some minor corrections and a base).
    TD6kJQr.jpg

But those were the good caps.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Okay, I haven't actually used them, but I hate the ones in P3, they usually get their flap torn off over time and then it's hell to open. Were the old Citadel better in this regard?

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Burnage wrote: »

Try to find some Biostrip 20 if you can. I don't know what the hell's in it but it's absolutely incredible at stripping paint from plastic and metal.

This stuff is amazing. Works like a charm, no fumes, and is much faster than any other stripping method. It takes about an hour or two, compared to leaving things overnight in other methods.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I've noticed that regular 91% isopropyl alcohol works absolutely great for stripping models if you forget about them and leave them sitting in an old pickle jar for like two months.

The paint literally washes right off.

• Options
    Purple
    Mayday wrote: »
    Okay, I haven't actually used them, but I hate the ones in P3, they usually get their flap torn off over time and then it's hell to open. Were the old Citadel better in this regard?

The lids are the same as used by P3 but they've received some upgrades in recent years. The tabs are slightly more rounded which creates a little less pressure at the contact point and the hinge was changed from 1 strip to 2 thin ones. I haven't had any break since nor have I had the hinges rip or crack. I had also learned to use a lighter touch after having used them extensively in the 90's.

He also sells replacement lids for like $0.35.

Incidentally, only the Nostalgia line comes in pots, all the other paints come in droppers.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Because of this thread I bought some Vallejo metal burnt iron. We'll see, how that works.

Any advice for a nice dark gold tone base colour? I have Balthazar gold and retributor base colours and the retributor is much too yellow and the Balthazar doesn't work that well as a base colour, it just doesn't cover well.

• Options
    Purple
    Vallejo Metal Color to the rescue once again! Their gold is great. It's a tad on the green side though. A flesh wash over top generally fixes that though and you'd probably be doing that anyway.

Fun side note: if you want to tint metallics, use ink instead of paint. It does double duty of thinning and tinting without diluting the metallic nature of the paint.

• Options
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »

This stuff is amazing. Works like a charm, no fumes, and is much faster than any other stripping method. It takes about an hour or two, compared to leaving things overnight in other methods.

Can I buy it in the US? I haven't been able to find anywhere that sells it.

• Options
    Purple
    RE: golds

The Warcolours nostalgia shining gold is also fantastic, I used on this WIP ultramarine and then just added a brown ink wash. Also the dark silver is a 2:1 mix of mithril silver and black ink - viola! boltgun metal!
    jEsAdkEm.jpg

(They aren't paying me to plug them, I swear)

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Purple
    RE: golds

The Warcolours nostalgia shining gold is also fantastic, I used on this WIP ultramarine and then just added a brown ink wash. Also the dark silver is a 2:1 mix of mithril silver and black ink - viola! boltgun metal!
    jEsAdkEm.jpg

(They aren't paying me to plug them, I swear)
    Well, obviously, as you talk up a different paint line every 0.5 or 1 posts. ;P

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Anyone explain the difference between inks and washes?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Purple
    Inks are watery and have highly-concentrated pigment.

Washes (or shades) are basically paint thinned heavily by adding either matte or gloss acrylic medium and possibly some surfactant to reduce surface tension. They are liquid skill.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I went through my old paints as I fix up my painting setup for the first time in a decade and found these old Ink droppers that still look great, but they are so thin I wasn't sure when I should use them.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Purple
    Jumped on the bandwagon and grabbed a bottle of vallejo gunmetal and of burnt iron.

The more non-citadel paint I pick up the more I realize that the reason I rely so much on citadel stuff is that the base/layer/drybrush/etc paint system they have takes the brainwork out of choosing which paints to use.... sadly I think it's also a crutch keeping me from getting better with paints in general.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Khraul wrote: »
    Jumped on the bandwagon and grabbed a bottle of vallejo gunmetal and of burnt iron.

The more non-citadel paint I pick up the more I realize that the reason I rely so much on citadel stuff is that the base/layer/drybrush/etc paint system they have takes the brainwork out of choosing which paints to use.... sadly I think it's also a crutch keeping me from getting better with paints in general.

I feel the same way. I keep seeing so many cool paints, I really the Vallejo air and metallic stuff, the LGS I go to just got in a huge shipment of Scale 75 and Fantasy & Game Color paints that look interesting.

I wanna get more of them or at least more GW airbrush paints but I already have roughly 90ish different paint bottles of GW paints and I want to use those before I try to branch out to other paints. I do also like to look at the Warhammer TV paint tutorials for ideas and if I want to build out my paint collection with a different brand I then have to look up a paint that matches the ones used in the video and that is a pain.

• Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    better light in the day means i can do a bit of crafty painting in meetings. as such some i've actually finished someone. night lords sorc:

psDpNr2.jpg?1

Wm0EyvP.jpg?1

first attempt at a force sword has not gone well, but lessons have been learned!

• Options
    Purple

I feel the same way. I keep seeing so many cool paints, I really the Vallejo air and metallic stuff, the LGS I go to just got in a huge shipment of Scale 75 and Fantasy & Game Color paints that look interesting.

I wanna get more of them or at least more GW airbrush paints but I already have roughly 90ish different paint bottles of GW paints and I want to use those before I try to branch out to other paints. I do also like to look at the Warhammer TV paint tutorials for ideas and if I want to build out my paint collection with a different brand I then have to look up a paint that matches the ones used in the video and that is a pain.

I heartily encourage folks to try out different paint ranges to find the best for each use. However, I would warn against ending up like me and being more of a paint collector than a painter. Seriously you don't want to know how much paint I own.

There's no shame in using GW paints. They're excellent paints that come in tons of colors, are super easy to find, and most online tutorials use them. Every part of the range is good, even the metallics which is more than can be said of most paint lines. Literally the only negative is the pots they use and that can be remedied with buying cheap dropper bottles in bulk and a little patience.

There's lots of equivalency charts out there but I have found them to be pretty hit-or-miss. Even previous GW -> current GW conversion is spotty at best.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Saw this on Thingiverse and just had to print it as some scatter terrain.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3460882
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3451361

c6Kdh4j.jpg

• Options
    And done.

75lq7D3.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2019
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Purple

I heartily encourage folks to try out different paint ranges to find the best for each use. However, I would warn against ending up like me and being more of a paint collector than a painter. Seriously you don't want to know how much paint I own.

There's no shame in using GW paints. They're excellent paints that come in tons of colors, are super easy to find, and most online tutorials use them. Every part of the range is good, even the metallics which is more than can be said of most paint lines. Literally the only negative is the pots they use and that can be remedied with buying cheap dropper bottles in bulk and a little patience.

There's lots of equivalency charts out there but I have found them to be pretty hit-or-miss. Even previous GW -> current GW conversion is spotty at best.

I keep kicking tires on swapping my GW paint into droppers.... but I can't find anywhere how many mil's are in a GW pot. What size of dropper bottle do I need to buy?

Related... My wife got me a joke flask in my christmas stocking last year, and it came with a tiny stainless steal funnel that'd be perfect for swapping paint from pot to dropper. It's something I should really get around to doing

Edit - Also what's the best agitator to add? I've heard stories of ball bearing rusting and ruining paint.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    You can get glass or lava beads if you’re worried about that. They’re not as heavy but unless the paint is super thick it should be fine. GW paints say they have 12ml in them.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Purple
    D01AEOgV4AE4xYq.jpg
    wraith buddies

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular

I’ve found doing an 80/20 mix of alcohol to peroxide helps a bit too.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Purple
    I've been (slowly) building up my Beastclaw Raiders force, and giving in to my compulsive need to tinker with them. My plan is to make a mixed (roughly 50/50) male/female ogor force. Since GW doesn't make (or talk about) female ogors, that means I have to take care of it. I've made a prototype / proof of concept.

ifxfyfaucx7p.jpg

More pics in spoiler:
    vdy0azqmeqtn.jpgxm8daimtdu7m.jpgyxfkv9n6ybxz.jpghk5b68rjzgjx.jpgoi3foh43gpod.jpg

The boob window is accidental. There was a huge air bubble I had to cut away. I'll either patch it or leave it; some of the male ogors were modelled by GW as bursting out of their pants, so it's no stretch (pun intended) to have this ogor bursting her tunic.

Changes compared to male ogor base figure:
    • Dramatically slimmed down upper arms
    • Slimmed down neck
    • Cut off love handles to give a more slender waist
    • Edit: Trimmed around the belly hole
    • Sculpted belly over belly hole
    • Sculpted breasts
    • Made broader hips/thighs and larger butt
    • Made face narrower
    • GS tunic, veil and wimple
    (Still need some cleanup on the GS, but his is just the proof of concept.)

Thoughts on improving the concept?

[Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Purple

I stick to citadel paints because I don't want to do the extra step of color matching. If I'm painting Ultramarines (which I currently am), I know I can just grab Macragge Blue and Calgar Blue and those are the blues I want. I don't have to color match them, and hope they are exactly right, only to find out two of my models look slightly different because XYZ's color matched "ultramarine blue" isn't quite the same as Macragge blue.

I really wish Citadel would do something about their paint bottles though. They suck. Why a company with their resources hasn't just moved to dropper bottles yet I'll never know. I hate to fall back on the old "it's to make more money because your paint dries out faster" thing, because I don't find most humans in a company actually think like that...but it does boggle the mind.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Purple
    Don't forget Altdorf Guard Blue, the actual Ultramarines Blue equivalent!

For some stupid fucking reason.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

I stick to citadel paints because I don't want to do the extra step of color matching. If I'm painting Ultramarines (which I currently am), I know I can just grab Macragge Blue and Calgar Blue and those are the blues I want. I don't have to color match them, and hope they are exactly right, only to find out two of my models look slightly different because XYZ's color matched "ultramarine blue" isn't quite the same as Macragge blue.

I really wish Citadel would do something about their paint bottles though. They suck. Why a company with their resources hasn't just moved to dropper bottles yet I'll never know. I hate to fall back on the old "it's to make more money because your paint dries out faster" thing, because I don't find most humans in a company actually think like that...but it does boggle the mind.

I am probably one of the few people who doesn't mind the citadel bottle it's better than the generic flip top ones. I don't like dropper bottles mainly because of how I learned to paint.
    I know their paint system is confusing as hell and I feel it's to miss sell paints or sell paint bundles. It doesn't help people tweak their take on the color of certain armies or characters when you look online. {an example of this was pre youtube I had no idea how necron monoliths were painted I thought it was green and a ton of wash it didn't help one of the people I found was doing this and using a ton of tissue/tape}

But it's turning spring once more all I have to do is find the base/stand for my light and I back in business painting!

This discussion has been closed.