As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Division 2] Launching in March! Beta has started.

• NumiNumi Registered User regular
    On PC you can use the standard explorer controls with mouse + ctrl or shift when selecting loot which is kind of nice. Also there are salvage stations scattered around that appears to give you a single list of everything in your bag so that you can quickly select all the stuff you want to trash.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I think you can dismantle while picking up too..

One thing that I've noticed this go round is reload and weapon swap times feel like they're longer... even the quick swap to pistol

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    I will just put it out there that I really dislike the new trade-off approach to mods. It just feels unnecessarily shitty. And a game like this doesn't have wildly different enough playstyles to make the trade-offs seem interesting. All guns need to 1) shoot accurately and 2) do damage. That's it. You get to move the slider between those. Most other games I've seen incorporate negative modifiers have a ton of stat/build variety such that you can build around your intended playstyle, but here... you just shoot things. Everyone shoots things. Making me choose whether I want to be less accurate or deal less damage just make every mod feel shitty rather than rewarding.

edited March 2019
    Afaik, the higher rarity mods have lesser penalties? At least, I hope they do.

I think it's also baked in as a counter to stacking all CHD/CHC with no downsides to make uber guns that are unbalanced, esp in PVP.

Hopefully they won't be making another House (or recycling exotics in general... hope that stays Destiny's shtick).

tastydonuts on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

One thing that I've noticed this go round is reload and weapon swap times feel like they're longer... even the quick swap to pistol

Swapping between 1 and 2 feels about the same. Swapping to pistol is a bit longer. Swapping to and from your signature weapon is about twice as long as between 1 and 2.

Makes sense for the signature weapon, they’re powerful guns. Pistol is a bit weird since it’s only place is a Hail Mary if you ran out of ammo and need to finish something off.

• squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

Swapping between 1 and 2 feels about the same. Swapping to pistol is a bit longer. Swapping to and from your signature weapon is about twice as long as between 1 and 2.

Makes sense for the signature weapon, they’re powerful guns. Pistol is a bit weird since it’s only place is a Hail Mary if you ran out of ammo and need to finish something off.

The swap to an ability to try and use can be brutal as well. Switching from your weapon to fire the chem launcher smoke and them back to your weapon to set if off can feel like an eternity. An eternity in which the enemy has moved out of your fire smoke anyway.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    That we're still having sound issues that are actively worse from the private beta is slightly worrying

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »
    That we're still having sound issues that are actively worse from the private beta is slightly worrying

I loaded into the Viewpoint missions yesterday and it cut all music audio, only had the chatter from the enemies and all gunfire and explosions sounded as if they were coming through a tin can phone from 100 miles away and still even then slightly muted. It was...odd.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I swapped over to try the Beta on the PS4 and boy it's night and day, in terms of technical smoothness. Yeah it's at a seemingly locked 30FPS, but it sure as hell looks great and I'm not getting those audio issues that I was on the PC.

. . .as for this little slice of a game. This is how you do an Open Beta to drive up pre-order numbers. Appearantly there is a straight up PvP mode that I completely missed in the PC demo (though it does suffer from the same nonsense that DZ did at the games start, i.e. matchmaking stinks).

As for the mods. . .I mean isn't that how mods have usually worked in games? You slap a silencer on a weapon it's damage reduces, etc. Idon't mind it here as you need to just prioritize what is of value to you.

Seriously considering throwing my thumbs up to UBI with a gold pre-order because boy has this fed the looter-shooter fix I've been needing.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    I actively don't like the mods they have in the demo at least scopes. Like they actively hurt your ability to dps, especially locking people in to the scope view no matter what weapon they attach it to, and so many are like -crit numbers which seems like it should be the other way around? I put on a scope to aim better? Why does that lower my crit?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Yeah I’m not a fan of the new scope mechanics. Let me fire without it and manually scope. Also don’t make me unscope to reload a single action rifle.

As for sound, during the first beta I was paranoid that my HDD was dying because I was getting these weird sounds I couldn’t place.

I figured out this time that they were the audio cue for the radio messages you can pick up, they’re just super weirdly loud. They sound kinda like a grinding HDD.

-Loki- on
    I just hope its because we don't have epic/yellow scopes and those don't actively punish you for putting them on a weapon. Otherwise I'll not use a scope on any weapon in this game, I just don't like how they act, and their stats are poor.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I just hope its because we don't have epic/yellow scopes and those don't actively punish you for putting them on a weapon. Otherwise I'll not use a scope on any weapon in this game, I just don't like how they act, and their stats are poor.

Using a scope on console in the first game was nigh impossible. Zoom/vision blocked was awful and no matter what you set your sensitivity to they were never accurate enough to use with a controller.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
    Weirdly the 4x scope doesn’t automatically zoom (I use them on the new single shot rifles), so it’s a conscious decision to make the longer distance scopes zoom automatically.

Weirdly the 4x scope doesn’t automatically zoom (I use them on the new single shot rifles), so it’s a conscious decision to make the longer distance scopes zoom automatically.

I had a lower zoom scope, I think 2x or 4x (whatever one you can get from buying with perks in the BoO) and it definitely zoomed. So maybe it depends on the scope itself?

oHqYBTXm.jpg
    squall99x wrote: »

Using a scope on console in the first game was nigh impossible. Zoom/vision blocked was awful and no matter what you set your sensitivity to they were never accurate enough to use with a controller.

Yeah I'm on xbone and its the same in d2 at least both in private beta and public one. It just makes using a scope this obnoxious thing.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    They did that because people were putting bizarre scopes on guns - like a 12x scope on a pistol - because of the passive bonuses to crit/headshot. If you never needed to aim-down-sights, like in a close range engagement, and you have a fast firing, easy to aim weapon, it made an overpowered combination. This seems like a "good" solution to me.

I'm actually a bit disappointed about the number of flaws in the PC version of the game. The PS4 version runs flawlessly. I was slightly annoyed by ISAC audio coming from both my TV speakers -and- the controller, but this as far from a game-breaking issue and easily ignorable. I looked for a setting for this but maybe I missed it?

Having said that, after playing Destiny on both platforms, I'm actually not convinced that it is possible to have a shooter on both systems that has any type of realistic balance. Aiming on the PC is just too easy and too accurate, so anything that is even moderately difficult on the PC s going to be hellishly hard on the consoles (unless you have godlike aim and the reflexes of a 12-year old girl). Conversely, even gameplay that is tuned to be "hard" on the consoles is still going to be "easy" on the PC. I just don't know how they are going to be able to have consistent gameplay between the two when the inherent difficulties are so askew.

26904.png
    edited March 2019
    The only optics that forces the scoped in view on ads is the vx1(12x), all the other scopes work the same as in tD1. The red dot and holo scopes will give you a slight bump if you hit the scope key when in ads while the acog will give you the 4x zoomed view with the red ring. The vx1 also has that massive headshot damage so I guess they are trying to avoid the issue from the first game where we all slapped a 12x scope on all our ARs and then ran around shooting as if it had iron sights.

Numi on
    Stupid wrote: »
    They did that because people were putting bizarre scopes on guns - like a 12x scope on a pistol - because of the passive bonuses to crit/headshot. If you never needed to aim-down-sights, like in a close range engagement, and you have a fast firing, easy to aim weapon, it made an overpowered combination. This seems like a "good" solution to me.

I'm actually a bit disappointed about the number of flaws in the PC version of the game. The PS4 version runs flawlessly. I was slightly annoyed by ISAC audio coming from both my TV speakers -and- the controller, but this as far from a game-breaking issue and easily ignorable. I looked for a setting for this but maybe I missed it?

Having said that, after playing Destiny on both platforms, I'm actually not convinced that it is possible to have a shooter on both systems that has any type of realistic balance. Aiming on the PC is just too easy and too accurate, so anything that is even moderately difficult on the PC s going to be hellishly hard on the consoles (unless you have godlike aim and the reflexes of a 12-year old girl). Conversely, even gameplay that is tuned to be "hard" on the consoles is still going to be "easy" on the PC. I just don't know how they are going to be able to have consistent gameplay between the two when the inherent difficulties are so askew.

The problem is that it means that console players, or at least a good portion of them, will probably not get to take advantage of any stats scopes offer at all, since they won't use them because the scoped in view/sensitivity is just a giant pain in the ass to use. It would be much easier to go back to not having to have a player scoped in and instead just make it so that certain scopes/attachments only work on certain guns - which they already do on some weapons.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I'm pretty sure the sniper scopes are autozoom as a conscious decision because people used them in Div1 as headshot damage statsticks on guns that had no business sporting 12x scopes.

edit: man i got beat so hard. like y'all had 12x scopes on your keyboards or something

m!ttens on
    Numi wrote: »
    The only optics that forces the scoped in view on ads is the vx1(12x), all the other scopes work the same as in tD1. The red dot and holo scopes will give you a slight bump if you hit the scope key when in ads while the acog will give you the 4x zoomed view with the red ring. The vx1 also has that massive headshot damage so I guess they are trying to avoid the issue from the first game where we all slapped a 12x scope on all our ARs and then ran around shooting as if it had iron sights.

I'll take your word for it since I'm too lazy to check - but everything I tried that wasn't iron sights forced me to into some sort of scope view instead of just a magnified 3rd person view like was offered in the first game.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
    m!ttens wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the sniper scopes are autozoom as a conscious decision because people used them in Div1 as headshot damage statsticks on guns that had no business sporting 12x scopes.

Yeah, I think everybody agrees that it is a conscious decision. But there has to be a better middle ground somewhere - assuming its working that way on all scopes, since it did on all the ones I tried- just restricting certain scopes to certain weapon types and giving me whatever benefit they have on the ones that are classified for the weapon type I am using.

The over all issue is just that using a scope, even on a sniper, in Division on consoles, was awful. People would just use the 3rd person not scoped in view and try and line up the little white reticle between bloom from shots fired. They were shitty, unresponsive and impossible to use worth a damn for most everyone I ever saw. So if you wan't any useful stats added to your sniper you now have to deal with a scope that makes you just not want to use a sniper at all.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
    squall99x wrote: »
    Numi wrote: »

I'll take your word for it since I'm too lazy to check - but everything I tried that wasn't iron sights forced me to into some sort of scope view instead of just a magnified 3rd person view like was offered in the first game.

I had to check it before writing the post because I was slightly unsure and on PC the only scope that would autozoom on holding down right mouse was the vx1.

The better solution is to limit what scopes can go on what weapons. They already do this for mods. Eg Just don’t let pistols equip something better than improved iron sights or some other hard limit.

Fucking over people using scopes properly to stop people abusing them sucks.

. . .can we take a moment to appreciate (some) of the AI. In some of the groups I've been in, the AI is more co-ordinated than my team, actively looking for flanks, and completely wrecking the shit of lone wolf players. And their call-outs are good feedback for the player as well; just done really well.

Particularly on that Invaded mission, holy heck. Also that's real smart of them to give players a peek at a high level end-game mission and what kind of gear is dropping at that level, as well as the other kinds of factions/enemies there are in the game. And I don't even mind re-using the same mission structure.

. . .not going to kick any other looter-shooters (shlooters?) while they are down but this is absolutely how you do one. I mean it's entirely possible that the full game is a dumpster fire but - -

edited March 2019
    The AI in these games is a standout, particularly for an open world game. Even in the first game it’s smarter than most games. Most open world games AI moves pretty randomly or even just stands in place or just rushes the player.

Listening to them talk about the Snowdrop engine I have to assume it’s because they built everything connected, even the AI, so it’s likely easier to write AI that reacts to certain objects and player location.

I’m playing Ghost Recon at the moment and the AI difference is amazing.

-Loki- on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    It's so weird that nobody uses bikes, cars or armoured vehicles in this world. Like there's no reason why they wouldn't

edited March 2019
    The civilians use trucks as doors.

My guess is it comes down to fuel. Generators would be the priority for that.

Countries tend to only have a few months reserve. For example, it came out recently Australia should have 90 days worth, but only actually has 17 days worth. Also if the whole world got hit, production and transport of it would grind to a halt.

This is 7 months after the first game so it’s not unreasonable to expect reserves are gone and people are scrounging for it.

-Loki- on

Countries tend to only have a few months reserve. For example, it came out recently Australia should have 90 days worth, but only actually has 17 days worth. Also if the whole world got hit, production and transport of it would grind to a halt.

This is 7 months after the first game so it’s not unreasonable to expect reserves are gone and people are scrounging for it.

Yeah. The military and similarly organized groups still have access to fuel and even armoured vehicles. You... don't want to see armored vehicles in this game.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I often find myself wondering who is making all of the ammunition (and guns) that we are casually expending. I mean, I'm not really a gun person, and part of tat is because I know how much ammunition costs and it's more than I care to spend for a bit of "fun".

26904.png

Yeah. The military and similarly organized groups still have access to fuel and even armoured vehicles. You... don't want to see armored vehicles in this game.

Yeah the vehicles in div 1 were awful bullshit fights that had no fun to them.

pleasepaypreacher.net

There’s vehicle fights? I’ve not seen any yet. Just did the police station and Lexington.

edited March 2019
    I mean. . .it's not been that long since the outbreak so there's definitely a shit ton of ammo at military facilities around the country and gun stores. Then you figure the means to making it haven't gone obsolete so I'm sure there's someone out there who has rejiggered the ammo making capability to suit their needs.

EDIT: Horde mode confirmed. . .oops.

ED! on
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular

There’s vehicle fights? I’ve not seen any yet. Just did the police station and Lexington.

I think they are in the incursion missions (which I have not done, other than trying the tv studio one and that one is a load of hot bullshit)

m!ttens wrote: »

I think they are in the incursion missions (which I have not done, other than trying the tv studio one and that one is a load of hot bullshit)

Yeah there are two vehicles in incursions that I know of and both are complete garbo shit. There was also the colonel bliss fight with a helicopter that was also kind garbage.

And the scope answer is a crap answer "People used them too much in the last game so we made them completely useless in this one." Ok thanks? like again could just be the demo, but the scope use and their modifiers for the most part are crap, like reducing crit chance or damage? Why would I want that?

I do know I want an m700 in the main game, holy god once I took that awful scope off it was a beast, body shot kills on regular enemies and almost a full down on purple and higher with a head shot.

I do like that the summer setting will allow for more fashion, if I ever get a drop. Two betas not one cosmetic drop.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • RhahRhah Registered User regular
    I guess I sort of like the flavor of NPcs having tags of what they are doing but if I can’t join them on patrol or help them work on something and get credit for it then it is a little pointless I thought it would be a beefed up version of the civilian in need from 1 but you don’t interact at all unless I am missing something.

You could take the scope off the signature rifle? Oh yeah I’ll be swapping to something a bit shorter.

I find the engagement ranges are far too short for a 12x anyway.

edited March 2019
    You could take the scope off the signature rifle? Oh yeah I’ll be swapping to something a bit shorter.

I find the engagement ranges are far too short for a 12x anyway.

Nah this is just a drop rifle, not the signature one. Its basically a bolt action marksman rifle, 7 rounds individual load so no magazine, but man it wrecks equal level enemies.

Also I swear they changed the semi auto rifles (not the marksman ones, the mid range between ar, and a marksman) to have a smaller recoil bloom when you fire in cover, which thank god in the private beta those things had such a large reticule using them at distance was super frustrating.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    So, I'm now thinking a lot of the changes with the swaps and skill use and the like is to make these actions more deliberate.

I wonder if Lone Star will make a return, heh.

I thought it was said sets like they had in 1 are not coming back, though that might just be a dodge until they add them.

pleasepaypreacher.net