As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Division 2] Launching in March! Beta has started.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    So, I'm now thinking a lot of the changes with the swaps and skill use and the like is to make these actions more deliberate.

I wonder if Lone Star will make a return, heh.

Definitely feels like they wanted a slower pace to firefights. The Chem Launcher feels like it’s deliberately meant to open an engagement, either glue a dangerous foe in place, nuke a group or set up a trap, rather than something you bust out mid firefight.

Finally saw the preview graphic for the Firefly and it’s another drone. Considering the drone we got to use has attack and support abilities, I’m really curious what the Firefly actually does. It’s the one skill they haven’t shown anywhere.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    It's the Macross!

edit: was thinking of the hive.r

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    So, I'm now thinking a lot of the changes with the swaps and skill use and the like is to make these actions more deliberate.

Definitely feels like they wanted a slower pace to firefights. The Chem Launcher feels like it’s deliberately meant to open an engagement, either glue a dangerous foe in place, nuke a group or set up a trap, rather than something you bust out mid firefight.

Finally saw the preview graphic for the Firefly and it’s another drone. Considering the drone we got to use has attack and support abilities, I’m really curious what the Firefly actually does. It’s the one skill they haven’t shown anywhere.

The firefly is a skill that got dropped from division 1, its a stun drone, or at least the default is a stun drone.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I think that the scope thing would be less annoying if there wasn't a delay to switch over to the scope when ADSing. that adds up.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

The firefly is a skill that got dropped from division 1, its a stun drone, or at least the default is a stun drone.

Was that the thing that was meant to be for people playing on a tablet from the early video?

It’s going to have to do more than just stun to hold up to the other abilities.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Was that the thing that was meant to be for people playing on a tablet from the early video?

It’s going to have to do more than just stun to hold up to the other abilities.

Something like that, like its some kind of aoe stun or something? I can't recall if it was marco or nothingbutskillz who had a video that showed it prototyped in div 1 and had the skills listed for it in div 2.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I noticed when poking around in the max level characters that gear mods and weapon talents in addition to requiring a minimum "gear score" (which is not quite the same as Div1, but certain pieces of armor have talents classified as firearms, armor and skill talents) to use, there are also skills that have a maximum score allowed to be active. Could be tricky balancing these abilities.
    u9MUDiB.jpg?3
    jYRfpWu.jpg?1

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Anyone know if the Division 2 has any kind of level sync or party scaling? It was absent from the first one and made leveling with friends kind of a pain in the ass.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Anyone else notice the enemies going prone? Was that new this beta? I don’t recall it happening in the private beta nor in the first game.

• Options
    Anyone else notice the enemies going prone? Was that new this beta? I don’t recall it happening in the private beta nor in the first game.

They went prone in the previous beta, just one type of enemy really seems to do it often (True Sons)

• Options
    I did like how one of the settlers called out "Everyone ok" like right next to the bodies of like 4 hyenas. Uhhh sure...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Anyone know if the Division 2 has any kind of level sync or party scaling? It was absent from the first one and made leveling with friends kind of a pain in the ass.

Yes, level scaling will occur if you group up and items that drop will be for your level (so they will automatically unscale when you go back to single player). Additionally, two dark zones will have item normalization in place and the "invaded" dark zone which looks to rotate roughly every week will be un-normalized and probably (hopefully?) have all the griefers concentrated in it.

• Options
    I’m still concerned about normalisation in the dark zones. It might bump sub-30 people to 30 along with their gear, but lower tier gear doesn’t have the gear level abilities, or has much weaker abilities. If those are left as is, a geared level 30 will still likely have an insurmountable edge over sub level 30 players.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »

Yes, level scaling will occur if you group up and items that drop will be for your level (so they will automatically unscale when you go back to single player). Additionally, two dark zones will have item normalization in place and the "invaded" dark zone which looks to rotate roughly every week will be un-normalized and probably (hopefully?) have all the griefers concentrated in it.

Thanks. Generally, does it seem like the team carried the lessons learned from D1 over to D2 in its current state? Or is it like Destiny 2 where it was one step forward and two steps back in a lot of respects?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Thanks. Generally, does it seem like the team carried the lessons learned from D1 over to D2 in its current state? Or is it like Destiny 2 where it was one step forward and two steps back in a lot of respects?

We really don't know at this point, because the major issue with D1 at launch was being forced to only do the dark zone as end game, and we don't know if their new end game will be that engaging in the pve only world.

I know I'm more negative about it than others and I apologize for that who are excited, but in the beta I've had sound issues out the yang, and spawning issues where enemies for a given area will spawn stuck in a door or otherwise out of bounds, one fixed by leaving and coming back, others didn't get fixed at all.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    If you did the invaded mission on the private beta do you have to do it again in the open beta for the armband?

• Options
    If you did the invaded mission on the private beta do you have to do it again in the open beta for the armband?

The thing says either beta. Then again there doesn't seem to be any good indicator for what you've unlocked from the betas. I tried to find it on ubisofts website and like the 3 different logins, but couldn't come up with anything.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I’ve actually had a whole hostage execution mission spawn underground. The icon was ground level and I could hear people talking but nothing. The enemies were at ground level, but the key and people to rescue were trapped below the street.

I’ve also had enemies spawn in front of me. Like I see a lone Hyena patrolling, I sneak up and shotgun them and 3 more just appear.

The beta definitely has bugs.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    I’ve actually had a whole hostage execution mission spawn underground. The icon was ground level and I could hear people talking but nothing. The enemies were at ground level, but the key and people to rescue were trapped below the street.

I’ve also had enemies spawn in front of me. Like I see a lone Hyena patrolling, I sneak up and shotgun them and 3 more just appear.

The beta definitely has bugs.

Yeah I've had pop in enemies and like graphical pop in that wasn't present in the private beta. Makes me wonder if they were testing something else in this beta?

I do hope in release the darkzone quest is not like it is in the beta, because man alive that's a trek.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Yikes! For having devs that are fans of the PC version, it sure seems like that one is miles behind the consoles in terms of stability and playability! I can't think of anything game-breaking that I've seen over the past two weekend tests. That is, aside from the occasional server crash.

I popped back into Div 1 when the servers went down last night (at 7:30 pm local time :bigfrown: ) and I was shocked and amazed at the differences between same level guns in Div 2 vs my crappy -5 level guns in Div 1. The guns in Div 2 feel a lot less impactfull overall, sometimes taking a full clip to down an enemy. For purple enemies it's at least two, sometimes three full clips. Maybe it's because I was able to take the time to find guns that suit my particular plodding gameplay style in the original game and the guns I'm using in the sequel/beta are just based on the biggest DPS numbers with zero regard to what they actually are. Specifically, I was shocked with how much better the old (Div 1) G36 felt compared to the new (Div 2 full-auto) FAL. (Having said that, I did get a LVOA in the prior beta and I really like the burst fire semi-auto mode, so maybe it really just is a playstyle vs gun mismatch!)

I also was amazed at how relatively tanky my Div 2 character is (compared to my Div 1 character)! After playing in Div 2 for most of the weekend, my Div 1 character feels like he has tissue paper for armor and I'm eating heath packs like they're going out of style! Maybe that's the same thing though... if -my- guns are less impactfull, maybe the enemy's guns are too, making me feel more tanky and generally making for longer TTK overall. (For what it's worth, I prefer a longer TTK since it allows for more strategy and planning, and less 'twitch' and mechanical skill.)

Also, I find LMGs really Really REALLY hard to use on a controller!

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    The bugs I was describing aren’t exactly game breaking, more irritating. So far I haven’t had anything that halts my progress.

I’ve had the opposite reaction to the guns in Div2. The guns in Div1 are super, super inaccurate until you start putting mods on them and getting into Superior quality. In Div 2 I’ve found the same guns are generally much more accurate earlier and being as I’m using mouse and keyboard, it’s much easier to put a bunch of shots into the head and down 2 guys with one clip. 3 if I’m real lucky.

Same with the gold tank bosses, I will generally spend 2 clips chewing their helmet off, then a few rounds to kill them with headshots.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Guns are more impactful in div 2, and you can get hosed a lot faster in it than div 1 (though admittedly this is from me having played div 1 for 100+ hours with like full sets that make me more hardy).

It definitely feels slower to do things though in div 2, slower to draw guns, slower for skills to activate, faster to die...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TTK has been reduced pretty significantly from the closed beta to the open. I also found when playing the max level characters that some minimal tweaking of weapon mods can have a really significant boost to efficacy. I specced an SMG on my crossbow lady to maximize crit chance and damage and it would delete veterans (purples) in ~80% of a mag and burn off most of the armor on elites with a full mag. Likewise, I made my AK-47 or whatever variant it was into a very stable medium range armor stripper and damage dealer.

My biggest gripe right now is that some of the SHD tech seems almost useless while others are extremely powerful. I'm hoping that as we start finding SHD tech mods and gear with skill power that some of the weaker powers will get better to use.

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I'm really glad they included the endgame characters to try in beta. I was enjoying the game, but not loving it. Trying that invaded mission was great fun, enemies have a huge range of powers, and play so aggressively. It really sold me.

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Another big change from the closed to open beta was the change to sig ammo. Last time I think I got maybe 1 drop the entire mission, so I basically never used it. Last night, I probably got 10 drops for my crossbow throughout the mission, which meant I was popping that out for every yellow bar that appeared. Felt more like a Destiny 2 heavy weapon and was a really noticeable improvement.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    They've added another day to the demo. My guess is it was picking up steam later in the weekend and people were like "Holy shit. . .this is really good!" so they tossed a bone. I might get in some DZ action to see how things have changed.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    White rogue is a really cool addition, you can run around hacking terminals and stealing loot while building your rogue status without having to go full on asshat.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I never played the Division. Tried the beta this weekend because my buds are looking for another co-op online game to play. After trying this and Anthem. This feels like a much more complete experience. Lots of things to do and collect. The shooting feels good too. The interface is slick and only falters in some very specific cases.

The couple of things that stuck with me is that the abilities available in the beta felt either kinda boring or the cooldowns were so long you didn't get to really use them more than once an encounter. I also didn't know if I liked the fact that the entire game was just one tileset. The game felt like a more complete Fallout 76 but with only an urban area.

All in all I think I like it and I think we're going to buy into it. But truthfully it just made me wish Anthem was was robust as this game cause shooting hooded mooks isn't the most exciting thing in the world.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    ill be playing this far more than I will be playing Anthem until that game gets it shit together.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    It’s definitely a more muted and real world-ish aesthetic than Anthem, but I actually like the relative groundedness of the setting. There’s a kinda modesty to things like a brightly colored plastic tarp over a little worktable appearing in a settlement that’s compelling in its own way. I like the look of Anthem overall but it did strike me from the demo as “Marvel + Destiny but a little less stylish.” Needs the Moroccan style flair of destiny 2, maybe.

Mileage varies as always, of course.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    It's been a while since I played 1 but cancelling abilities feels like it takes way longer and maybe doesn't refund cool down time anymore?

Assault turret seems way stronger in this one. It's actually getting kills for me. Shooting mans still feels pretty good.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Not that I want to harp on it, but a problem with Anthem (IMHO) is that it has fallen in to the "WoW-Clone" trap. That is to say, years ago you had all these WoW-clones coming out to cash in on that sweet, sweet MMO money but the problem was that they were all copying vanilla WoW 1.0 and by that time WoW was already an expansion or two in and had made quite a lot of improvements.

Anthem, from my experience, fits this mold but with Destiny. They failed to realize that the looter shooter genre has improved greatly since those days. Hell, current D2 isn't the same game as launch D2. Same applies to stuff like The Division and Warframe.

And while it is absolutely true that Anthem can improve greatly over time, first impressions matter. Just ask D2 or The Division. I loved The Division, but trying to get my launch day buddies to play it after all the improvements was like pulling teeth.

More on topic.

I didn't get a chance to play the beta, but I am very happy to see generally positive feedback from those who did. I was worried that The Division 2 might start off in the same place (design wise) as The Division and that Ubisoft might've failed to capitalize on what they've already learned. It seems those fears are unwarranted.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    The Division is more grounded in reality and they're leaning more into tactical gameplay than the first one. While I think over time they'll shorten the base cooldowns somewhat, you will be able to mod into skill haste to counter it (a poster on the thread I talk about after this said he's at 81% CD reduction, among other things).

haha... so on The Division reddit, a PVP player has a long read over Div 1 vs Div 2 pvp and this jumped out re the turrets:
    checkpoint turrets are not as effective as people thought they were. I have managed to bypass them by attracting NPCs and deploying my turret. Also, you can still camp checkpoints by sitting down the street with a sniper rifle...complaints don’t seem that valid anymore.

They also note that the movements are a little bit slower compared to Div1. The fact that shotguns may actually be viable in CQC, even vs SMGs is good to note.

(Post)

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I do have to say that I've run into way more bugs in this beta than I did in either Anthem's open beta or it's release. A lot of sound bugs including one where I lost all sound and then it crashed so hard I had to hard reset my Xbox. I'm also getting a lot of enemies that load without textures or have the textures load really late. I've died multiple times to these.

I ran into a rogue broadcast world event but the guy carrying the key ran outside of the demo border and then died so I couldn't finish the event. Granted that one is more nuisance than bug.

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »
    I do have to say that I've run into way more bugs in this beta than I did in either Anthem's open beta or it's release. A lot of sound bugs including one where I lost all sound and then it crashed so hard I had to hard reset my Xbox. I'm also getting a lot of enemies that load without textures or have the textures load really late. I've died multiple times to these.

I ran into a rogue broadcast world event but the guy carrying the key ran outside of the demo border and then died so I couldn't finish the event. Granted that one is more nuisance than bug.

That wax my experience on the xbox. The sound issues were actively worse in this beta than they were in the private one, as were the like texture and enemy spawning issues.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Someone posted a few pages back that the audio issues are supposed to be fixed for the launch I think? On pc I got an audio glitch once but it cleared up quickly so I guess I'm lucky in that regard.

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Someone posted a few pages back that the audio issues are supposed to be fixed for the launch I think? On pc I got an audio glitch once but it cleared up quickly so I guess I'm lucky in that regard.

I'd be more inclined to believe that, if the sound issues were not worse from the previous beta.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The Division is more grounded in reality and they're leaning more into tactical gameplay than the first one. While I think over time they'll shorten the base cooldowns somewhat, you will be able to mod into skill haste to counter it (a poster on the thread I talk about after this said he's at 81% CD reduction, among other things).

haha... so on The Division reddit, a PVP player has a long read over Div 1 vs Div 2 pvp and this jumped out re the turrets:
    checkpoint turrets are not as effective as people thought they were. I have managed to bypass them by attracting NPCs and deploying my turret. Also, you can still camp checkpoints by sitting down the street with a sniper rifle...complaints don’t seem that valid anymore.

They also note that the movements are a little bit slower compared to Div1. The fact that shotguns may actually be viable in CQC, even vs SMGs is good to note.

(Post)

I've seen so many bitchy posts on the Division reddit page about weapon mods and I feel like people aren't understanding math at all. That or the thought of thinking they are "losing" something in the tradeoff.

If I have a very inaccurate but relatively stable gun, say an LMG, adding a mod that drops accuracy by 20% to increase stability by 20% is a huge win. Let's say the accuracy stat is a numeric value of 1.0 and stability is at 7.0. That mod means my accuracy is now 0.8 or a reduction of 0.2 and by stability is now 8.4 or an increase of 1.4. Additionally it seems like stats may have a minimum value, as I modded an LMG last night where I took all the -ACC mods and the last mod I added didn't seem to move the comparison bar at all. The only stat that seems to jump out at me as not being great to use as a "dump stat" is reload speed, as the worse you drop it the longer and longer your reloads are going to get.

• Options
    For me why do mods need to have drawbacks instead of just boosts like they did before? This just feels like a baffling miss step like being forced to scope.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

(Post)

I've seen so many bitchy posts on the Division reddit page about weapon mods and I feel like people aren't understanding math at all. That or the thought of thinking they are "losing" something in the tradeoff.

If I have a very inaccurate but relatively stable gun, say an LMG, adding a mod that drops accuracy by 20% to increase stability by 20% is a huge win. Let's say the accuracy stat is a numeric value of 1.0 and stability is at 7.0. That mod means my accuracy is now 0.8 or a reduction of 0.2 and by stability is now 8.4 or an increase of 1.4. Additionally it seems like stats may have a minimum value, as I modded an LMG last night where I took all the -ACC mods and the last mod I added didn't seem to move the comparison bar at all. The only stat that seems to jump out at me as not being great to use as a "dump stat" is reload speed, as the worse you drop it the longer and longer your reloads are going to get.

Yeah, there certain weapons will be able to carry the penalties of mods better than others... This may also force some diversity in gunplay. It probably won't. Reload speed is definitely going to be one of those keeper ones for most weapons...

Talents would also factor in, depending on how the bonus/penalties work. Are they to base or to the total?