As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    So here's one:

I few months back, after letting the PC run idle for at least about five minutes, my system fans start running faster and making more noise. When I shake the mouse, the go quiet until another five minute idle passes. I did some investigating and discovered that my CPU temps rise (after idle) by three to five degrees (never much more than ~30).

I never made any change to my fan profiles and other than a Steam game or similar, have installed nothing that wasn't an IS or other program update.

Any ideas about what would make the CPU run a bit hotter on idle and then dip back on a minor manual action?

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    is it actually running idle? Are you looking at task manager to see if there's something that starts eating CPU?

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I hadn't. I was hoping that it was a common enough issue. Turns out, it sort of is. After about ten or so minutes of idling, CPU usage would spike to 100% and the culprit was RuntimeBroker.exe which is a Win10 thing that manages app usage. Apparently it or an app breaks and it starts freaking out.

I used the tips here. I hadn't disabled all the tips about Windows, so I did. But that didn't do it. I had already turned off updates from more than one place. But it was disabling the background apps that did it. I didn't turn all of them off, and I don't remember which ones were on. All that is left on is Calculator, Settings, Weather, and Windows Security. (I'm pretty sure I never turned anything else off previously so it's from whatever is 'on' by default.)

After a reboot and sitting for thirty minutes there was no unusual spike in usage. Back to silent running! Huzzah!

I think a MS update (I'm sure it was from before the borked rollout) must have 'fixed' an app by breaking the fuck out of it somehow.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    and I mean, just as a course of random usage a CPU being utilized every so often is not actually a bad thing. Windows is always doing approximately 234987328347234978 things. Sometimes that needs CPU for a minute.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Oh, sure. During my testing it would spike momentarily and then settle back to ~1%. But I'm not talking about that. It was 100% ALL THE TIME once RuntimeBroker started doing its thing. The only other things that I've ever been doing that did that was running Handbrake or something to convert media to Mp4.

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Is there a way to force Windows to update the time automatically on boot? Time in Windows gets messed up every time I boot into it after being in Linux. It sorts itself out eventually but often not for quite a while after booting. Fixing it manually by toggling set time automatically on/off is annoying.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Check your time in bios?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    Is there a way to force Windows to update the time automatically on boot? Time in Windows gets messed up every time I boot into it after being in Linux. It sorts itself out eventually but often not for quite a while after booting. Fixing it manually by toggling set time automatically on/off is annoying.

Are you comfortable with setting up a task in Task Scheduler? I found a couple solutions. Seems like one key thing is to make the task only start if a network connection is available.

https://superuser.com/questions/529367/automatically-sync-windows-time-more-often-than-default
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/426071/how-can-i-sync-the-computers-clock-upon-startup

Shadowfire wrote: »
    Check your time in bios?

Boot to the BIOS after having the system disconnected from a power source. If the time is wrong, the CMOS battery likely needs to be replaced.

Shadowfire wrote: »
    Check your time in bios?

Boot to the BIOS after having the system disconnected from a power source. If the time is wrong, the CMOS battery likely needs to be replaced.

It's nothing to do with CMOS battery, it's one OS storing time in UTC while the other uses local.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    evilbob wrote: »

Set your Linux install to use local time instead of UTC.
    Not sure what you use, but on newer Ubuntu, the command is just "timedatectl set-local-rtc 1"

You can modify the Windows registry to use UTC, but it's not as reliable as changing the linux side.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    So this is very interesting. The last couple fast ring builds of windows have included unspecified "gaming improvments"

So some people have done some digging, and it looks like Microsoft is porting a lot of the native Xbox infrastructure directly into Windows 10. There's a lot of geekery around file formats and libraries and back end stuff, but boiled down the simplest form, it looks like Windows 10 might be able to, at some point, natively support Xbox One games.

so like, right now for games that have Xbox and Win10 versions, they're different binaries/files. In the simplest terms developers have to export a version of the game to work on both, which does add some complexity.

What Microsoft is testing is basically that the same file you download and play on your Xbox will work on PC. this could, in theory, mean every single Xbox One game could work on Windows.

This is actually a really big deal, and I hope they get it working.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    It's incredible interesting from an emulation standpoint.

What would it mean for Xbox 360 games? For original Xbox games?

Simple time means that we're not worried about preservation of Xbox One games for the same reason we're not worried about preservation of PS4 games. But you go back a generation or two, and then things get a lot harder for hardware and software.

That's what I'm really interested in. Plus, you know, you won't need quite the same horsepower to emulate Xbox 360 and original Xbox, almost certainly.

Synthesis wrote: »
    It's incredible interesting from an emulation standpoint.

What would it mean for Xbox 360 games? For original Xbox games?

Simple time means that we're not worried about preservation of Xbox One games for the same reason we're not worried about preservation of PS4 games. But you go back a generation or two, and then things get a lot harder for hardware and software.

That's what I'm really interested in. Plus, you know, you won't need quite the same horsepower to emulate Xbox 360 and original Xbox, almost certainly.

I guess it depends on how much of the xbox one OS infrastructure they're porting to Windows 10. As of right now, the only datapoint we have is an Xbox One binary that Microsoft is testing with.

oXbox could/should be much easier to emulate/support than Xbox 360 since that console also ran X86. I'm not sure if they'll put the PowerPC emulator needed for the 360 games into Windows 10, but there's no reason they couldn't.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Hmm yeah, the evidence is really strong here. This is super cool stuff, and I honestly love how Microsoft's finally getting their shit together around their gaming ecosystem.

• jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    That sounds awesome, I have a 2017 surface pro as my main Windows PC and I use my Xbox via streaming to play games on it when the TV is otherwise occupied. I'm hoping to switch to a surface book 3 later this year and it would be great to just be able to play games on it.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    There are a lot of fiddly details about PC gaming that PC ports get wrong. Things like detecting when the selected system audio device has changed (“whoops, I need to switch to my headset”), or when a controller has been turned on after the game has started. It’d be super cool if all that stuff just worked automatically by virtue of the developer having targeted a console (and the game having gone through the platform-holder approval process).

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Reading that made my brain hurt. because hashtags. Now I want to start hashtagging random words when I write #emails.

I just want to be able to play my original xbox games on pc dammit.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I just want a PC release of Guardian Heroes. It's the only game I miss from my Xbox. :(

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    oXbox could/should be much easier to emulate/support than Xbox 360 since that console also ran X86. I'm not sure if they'll put the PowerPC emulator needed for the 360 games into Windows 10, but there's no reason they couldn't.

The Xbox CPU was x86 (it was basically a slightly beefed up Coppermine mobile Celeron) but the console itself a lot of custom hardware (mainly the GPU, but especially audio), and there is basically zero public documentation on how a lot of it works. I'd be excited if Microsoft brought original Xbox emulation to Windows, because without official support it will be a long time if ever before we see Xbox games running at native speeds without serious issues on a PC. It would be pretty great to see what the modding community would be able to do after sifting through the official release as well.

The Xbox library wasn't exactly stuffed with exclusives, but getting certain PC ports from the early 2000s running on Windows 10 can be a colossal pain in the ass, so if we had some decent emulation framework in the future it might just be easier to run the Xbox versions of popular cross platform games from that era on Windows instead of their native versions/other console emulators.

wunderbar wrote: »

The Xbox CPU was x86 (it was basically a slightly beefed up Coppermine mobile Celeron) but the console itself a lot of custom hardware (mainly the GPU, but especially audio), and there is basically zero public documentation on how a lot of it works. I'd be excited if Microsoft brought original Xbox emulation to Windows, because without official support it will be a long time if ever before we see Xbox games running at native speeds without serious issues on a PC. It would be pretty great to see what the modding community would be able to do after sifting through the official release as well.

The Xbox library wasn't exactly stuffed with exclusives, but getting certain PC ports from the early 2000s running on Windows 10 can be a colossal pain in the ass, so if we had some decent emulation framework in the future it might just be easier to run the Xbox versions of popular cross platform games from that era on Windows instead of their native versions/other console emulators.

I mean, they've already made a number of oXbox games available on Xbox One so.......

OG Xbox emulation sounds super easy because it's an x86 processor, roughly geforce 3 gpu, uses basically direct x, runs on pretty much a windows NT kernel.

Problem is it's set up to run literally everything in ring 0 with direct access to hardware.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    MS got over half the Xbox library running on a machine with a PowerPC architecture (the 360), and a handful on the Xbone, of course. If they have the will, I think they could do it. It's likely to be tricky, and probably expensive, but they may already have the technical backbone in place.

I'd love to see it; the Xbox was my primary system of choice in that era, and as well as (I'd argue) a better catalogue of exclusives than it's usually given credit for, it tended to have the best versions of multiplatform games too; often the only console versions with native progressive scan and widescreen, sometimes with bump-mapping etc thrown in.

It seems fanciful, but then, I never thought they'd do it on the Xbox One. But they did. And Phil Spencer does seem to genuinely care about preserving at least some of the old Xbox legacy. Of course it could then get shoehorned into the next Xbox generation as well. It'll be interesting to see.

Problem with backwards compatibility on 360 is PGR1 runs like shit and it's one of the games I really want to be able to play again.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Oh, it's far from perfect, I'll admit that. PGR2 gets a black screen on the gear selection screen too.

There's reasons why I still have an actual Xbox.

GladiAHFUCKIT!

• übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Quick question, any of you running LTSC 2019?

camo_sig.png
    Jesus Christ. Microsoft finally backed down off the ledge on Windows 10 updating.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/04/microsoft-going-to-extreme-lengths-to-ensure-may-update-avoids-mistakes-of-1809/

tldr:

Starting with the 1903 update, Micirosoft will no longer force it immediately on users. When user checks for updates they will be promted to either install the monthly patch for their current version, or the new windows version. the new windows version will be optional until your current windows 10 version is going out of support, in which case it will then become mandatory and force an install.

users will also be able to defer the monthly patch for a week, five times. Meaning you can essentially skip a month of security patches if you so desire. After a month it will force you to take the patch.

This is a great compromise. It ensures everyone on Windows 10 remains up to date on security, and allows deferring version updates but still ensures everyone remains supported.

Also Windows 10 1903 will go out to release preview ring next week and not be deployed to the general public until May, to hopefully prevent the debacle that was 1809.

This is a win for everyone.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    The 6-month cadence still seems silly.

They should either do full Arch Linux-style rolling distro of the components or back off to annual releases.

a5ehren wrote: »
    The 6-month cadence still seems silly.

They should either do full Arch Linux-style rolling distro of the components or back off to annual releases.

eh, at least with the ability to not take the version update you can in theory skip 2 version updates altogether before it forces you to take one.

Yeah that's true. Personally I'm a sucker and sit on the Release Preview ring anyway, but all that does is get me the final build a week early :+1:

a5ehren wrote: »
    Yeah that's true. Personally I'm a sucker and sit on the Release Preview ring anyway, but all that does is get me the final build a week early :+1:

Not anymore, now you get it a month early!

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I'm still on 1803, they can take all the time they want to iron the kinks out. If it isn't broke, don't fix it!

My home PC is on 1809, and it's fine. Though I don't actually ever use any of the new stuff they add.

My work laptop is on 1709, which is actually where I'd want 1903 first.

ye 1809 has been totally fine since they fixed the two bugs that made it into the initial release because they skipped release preview because they wanted it out on an arbitrary date.

I am fucking stoked to get 1903 on my work computer. the windows sandbox is going to be life changing for me.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Man, I just wish that I was a non-business-user could get my hands on LTSB. I don't want Windows changing, I don't want it rebooting on Microsoft's schedule, I just want my environment setup and working and consistent while I take security patches and maybe every 2-3 years do a full reimage.

Instead of every 6 months having half my damned workflow break.

The days where dicking around with my computer was fun are long past, I just want it to work when I get home.

Orca wrote: »
    Man, I just wish that I was a non-business-user could get my hands on LTSB. I don't want Windows changing, I don't want it rebooting on Microsoft's schedule, I just want my environment setup and working and consistent while I take security patches and maybe every 2-3 years do a full reimage.

Instead of every 6 months having half my damned workflow break.

The days where dicking around with my computer was fun are long past, I just want it to work when I get home.

Well, look up a few posts and we have good news for you.

For anyone who is interested, 1903 is now in the insider release preview ring.

oh hey 1709 is out of support as of today that's cool.

I have to re-write like half of the OP for the new windows 10 support models