As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Division 2] Launching in March! Beta has started.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Anthem is fertile ground, they just need to grow a bunch of shit in it. I don't know if they are interested in doing the "seamless" open world thing though (although I guess it is I don't remember any loading) like TD.

. . .also I think mindless free-roaming combat is easier to design when you're on the ground. Anthem had just the Wyverns for air enemies. Here the factions feel interesting, not the least of which because they actually emote back to you.
    Carpy wrote: »
    It's been a while since I played 1 but cancelling abilities feels like it takes way longer and maybe doesn't refund cool down time anymore?

Assault turret seems way stronger in this one. It's actually getting kills for me. Shooting mans still feels pretty good.

They don't refund no. Cancelling is really only there to refresh the cooldown if your turret is out of the way; hopefully they "fix" that.

EDIT: I just took a look at what they added to The Division 1. . .holy shit. The Underground mode alone! That's crazy. Hopefully those Underground markers aren't just spots underground as they were in the beta and they have this feature in release. Seems like Conflicts was in the previous game (though right now it's as unbalanced as the Dark Zone was).

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Cooldowns in the Division 2 are generally longer than in Division 1. Cancelling an ability before it ends may refund part of the time (you'll see the orange vs dark grey bar, but not all). Are you sure they don't refund?

If you're aiming an ability before using it, pressing "B" or its equivalent will put the weapon away and not trigger the cooldown. For abilities with multiple uses the refresh still happens. Not really sure how the timing on that works though.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • NumiNumi Registered User regular
    Cancelled abilities refunds you 50% of the cooldown, so the turret gets a 60s cooldown if cancelled as opposed to a 120s one if destroyed. I haven't seen any information on how it works at high skillpower, it might be half of base still or half of the actual cooldown.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Anthem is fertile ground, they just need to grow a bunch of shit in it. I don't know if they are interested in doing the "seamless" open world thing though (although I guess it is I don't remember any loading) like TD.

Um

The chief complaint everywhere is that Anthem has far too many loading screens.

Numi wrote: »
    Cancelled abilities refunds you 50% of the cooldown, so the turret gets a 60s cooldown if cancelled as opposed to a 120s one if destroyed. I haven't seen any information on how it works at high skillpower, it might be half of base still or half of the actual cooldown.

Does it? The grey bar must be based on what the remaining time is then, because it certainly doesn't start at half when moving from the current firefight to the next.
    -Loki- wrote: »

Um

Correct. The parenthetical is misplaced and refers to TD.

I believe that you can set your cooldown timers to be numeric instead of bars if you really want to know.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

Um

I've played something like six games recently that have had weirdly unnecessary loading screens for things like accessing the UI and just generally poor functionality slapped onto solid gameplay engines. Is there like some quiet crisis in UI and game design going on in the industry right now, because it certainly feels like standards have fallen across the board in the last couple of years? Lots of solved problems are getting unsolved.

Phillishere on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

Um

I've played something like six games recently that have had weirdly unnecessary loading screens for things like accessing the UI and just generally poor functionality slapped onto solid gameplay engines. Is there like some quiet crisis in UI and game design going on in the industry right now, because it certainly feels like standards have fallen across the board in the last couple of years? Lots of solved problems are getting unsolved.

Its almost like they didnt even look at the looter/shooter genre to see what other folks were doing. No waypoints on maps, no text chat, poorly implemented loot, poorly implemented/wasted effort crafting system , no way to see your actual stats on your javelin, the list goes on and on.

This UI is pretty shitty too, at least using KB/Mouse.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »

Um

Its almost like they didnt even look at the looter/shooter genre to see what other folks were doing. No waypoints on maps, no text chat, poorly implemented loot, poorly implemented/wasted effort crafting system , no way to see your actual stats on your javelin, the list goes on and on.

I can understand having problems with your first loot shooter's loot and mission dynamics. A lot of companies get those wrong.

But the basic menu and UI functionality were solved problems, and the regression is not limited to Bioware. The feeling of "Why is this behind a loading screen, and why is it taking so long?" is very common these days. It feels like we are relearning lessons the games industry figured out in the '00s.

Tom Clancy's The Division 2 is coming out March 15th.

Preorder Today!

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Is there an edition that lets you play early? My preorder said I can play on the 12th.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Anthem stuff should go in the Anthem thread.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Is there an edition that lets you play early? My preorder said I can play on the 12th.

Yeah gold and up get a 3 day head start. I am bummed I was only able to get the regular version but oh well.

• NumiNumi Registered User regular
    I think all the upgraded versions have the 3-day early access.

Hmmm, is there a confusing excel spreadsheet type chart we can look at :D

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    For me why do mods need to have drawbacks instead of just boosts like they did before? This just feels like a baffling miss step like being forced to scope.

Maybe I didn't get too far into the beta, but the only scope that forced scoping for me was the 12x. The 4x still toggled.

SniperGuy wrote: »

Yeah gold and up get a 3 day head start. I am bummed I was only able to get the regular version but oh well.

Well shit I took off friday, but didn't take off earlier... Oh well that means friday is the push day!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited March 2019

You're absolutely right my friend!

If you preordered the Gold, ultimate, Dark Zone Definitive or Phoenix Shield editions, you will indeed be able to play three days early!

[But why wait? Right now you can enjoy the Tom Clancy's The Division 2 Open Beta, we've even extended it, just for you!

edit: whoops, misread that elsewhere.

tastydonuts on
    cptrugged wrote: »
    For me why do mods need to have drawbacks instead of just boosts like they did before? This just feels like a baffling miss step like being forced to scope.

Maybe I didn't get too far into the beta, but the only scope that forced scoping for me was the 12x. The 4x still toggled.

Maybe this was a change from the private beta, but I swore in the private beta every scope even like a 1.x locked me into scoped view.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    That reminds me I have to figure out what edition I am going to buy. Might just pull the trigger on the Ultimate edition.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I had the same experience. I used the 4x on the Assault Rifle and Rifle class weapons and both were toggled

Doesn’t fix 12x scopes not being a toggle not being dumb. As said earlier, if they’re worried about 12x scopes on pistols just don’t let pistols equip 12x scopes.

The biggest issue is scopes now unscoping to reload, even single action rifles. Shits just bad design.

-Loki- on
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

Maybe this was a change from the private beta, but I swore in the private beta every scope even like a 1.x locked me into scoped view.

Definitely changed then. I had to scramble to re map the toggle scope feature cause I couldn't figure out how to scope with the 4x.

oh, I did read right:

If you really need to squeeze that last bit out.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Definitely changed then. I had to scramble to re map the toggle scope feature cause I couldn't figure out how to scope with the 4x.

I'm not sure if The Division 2 imported keymapping from any The Division 1 files it might be autodetecting being installed, but on mine, it defaulted to the same mouse button as Division 1 (MMB).

I dunno, maybe the whole scoping thing just doesn't bother me as it doesn't change how I use bolt-actions: mouse non-ADS target reticle over target's head -> hold right-click long enough to pop out of cover -> pull trigger -> watch big-ass damage number pop out of target's head. It feels like there is zero deviation if you can get the center of the circle over your target's head and scope in.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Erlkönig wrote: »

I'm not sure if The Division 2 imported keymapping from any The Division 1 files it might be autodetecting being installed, but on mine, it defaulted to the same mouse button as Division 1 (MMB).

I dunno, maybe the whole scoping thing just doesn't bother me as it doesn't change how I use bolt-actions: mouse non-ADS target reticle over target's head -> hold right-click long enough to pop out of cover -> pull trigger -> watch big-ass damage number pop out of target's head. It feels like there is zero deviation if you can get the center of the circle over your target's head and scope in.

The toggle was good when you were close enough to get that headshot without scoping. Now that a 12x will automatically zoom, unless you had it directly on the center of their head or they move slightly, you’re now looking at air, and slight mouse movements will massively shift your aim.

• squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular

That's basically what console players kinda want back? In Division 1 if you ADS'd but didn't toggle the scope on it would just give you a bit of zoom, tighter reticle and less sensitive movement to your weapon via your settings and you would pop them in the head, wait for the white ADS reticle to tighten back up and pull the trigger again. The scoped view is absolute shit for aiming on consoles on any weapon. Using a powerful zoom sniper scope for the stat bonuses on a sniper now forces the previously optional scope toggle and its absolutely awful on a controller.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
    edited March 2019
    If the snap to downscope took about a tenth as much time as it takes now, forcing the scope wouldn't be as bad. The time cost is the main issue, imo.

If you take the scope off a marksman, it functions the same way that it would in D1 for the MDR/etc weapons

tastydonuts on
    If the snap to downscope took about a tenth as much time as it takes now, forcing the scope wouldn't be as bad. The time cost is the main issue, imo.

If you take the scope off a marksman, it functions the same way that it would in D1 for the MDR/etc weapons

Yeah its what I do, I make them scopeless. Then again I did the same thing in d1...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2019

The toggle was good when you were close enough to get that headshot without scoping. Now that a 12x will automatically zoom, unless you had it directly on the center of their head or they move slightly, you’re now looking at air, and slight mouse movements will massively shift your aim.

From the time I picked up a Covert SRSA1 and ran a pair of missions exclusively with it (with a shotgun in my second weapon slot) to when I replaced it with an M44 dropped from an armored grenade-spamming dude protecting the NatGuard weapon cache, I think I missed maybe 2 or 3 shots using the order of operations above. I don't even let the scope finish unblurring, and it's still landing headshots from across courtyards as long as you can see the head, run your mouse at low enough sensitivity, and place the center of the hollow circle on target.

Literally the only time I've stayed scoped in (chambering new rounds notwithstanding) is when targets are running and I'm pulling dragged shots to polish them off.

And yeah, I would imagine that it sucks with a controller. Hell, I could barely play the console version of Division 1 because I relied so much on scoped rifles in that game on PC and the ability to nail flick shots 9 times out of 10.

Honestly, I kinda like the way it is now (with the caveat being that this is from a purely PC-centric perspective).

EDIT -

Yeah its what I do, I make them scopeless. Then again I did the same thing in d1...

If you want the option to do a scope-less ADS while still having the option for a scoped toggle, toss on a 4x. It functions identically to the scope toggles in Division 1. The only drawback being the (what appears to be) 20-MOA center dot...holy crap Massive...while I haven't picked up an ACOG in real-life, I can't imagine the center dot is that huge.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I've found the 4x scope to be just as effective at nailing shots from the other side of the map. I've even found the maximum range on a few guns because the 4x scope was just that good. I'm FAR from a good mechanical player though, so my "perfect" shots rely on me sitting in cover for 2 seconds, lining up the shot and them sitting in scope/zoom for another 3 to 5 seconds waiting for the AI to peek out. Which is probably laughable to anyone with actual skill!

I also made an interesting discovery last night. Maybe I'm late to this party, but the supply crates at the control points respawn!! Except for the one "big" crate that is the reward for the initial - and maybe subsequent? - capture. And since the crates always give level appropriate goodies, it's basically a free money machine. With a small but non-zero chance of super-high quality gear. I got super lucky and got two lvl 8 purple gear pieces last night before I logged off.

26904.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Played the beta and it didn't really grab me though the premise was interesting.

In some ways it feels more like the game that should have been there in the first place and not so much a progression at least imo.

Oh my sweet lord. Hard Mode. I'm in love with this game all over again. I also like how it's not just boosted enemies, but they replace enemies with the heavy variants and still mix in the low tier red health enemies. I also like how you have to think smart about positioning because the enemy WILL flank you and just start laying into your cover.

. . .I'm also thinking that in randoms, Glass Canon builds aren't so great as a lot of people don't know how to heal? I see droves and seeker mines just chilling on the full health user.

Really excited to see how brutal these raids are. I hope they really come with AI patterns and unique abilities.

edited March 2019
    The drones that heal people are pretty different to what was available in the first game. Sure there will be people who just activate them to keep themselves topped up but give it time, people will learn how to send them to other people.

-Loki- on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I do have to say that I've run into way more bugs in this beta than I did in either Anthem's open beta or it's release. A lot of sound bugs including one where I lost all sound and then it crashed so hard I had to hard reset my Xbox. I'm also getting a lot of enemies that load without textures or have the textures load really late. I've died multiple times to these.

I ran into a rogue broadcast world event but the guy carrying the key ran outside of the demo border and then died so I couldn't finish the event. Granted that one is more nuisance than bug.

I didn't run into many bugs during the anthem beta because 90% of the time it just wouldn't load. Hopefully this beats that.

What is this I don't even.
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I do have to say that I've run into way more bugs in this beta than I did in either Anthem's open beta or it's release. A lot of sound bugs including one where I lost all sound and then it crashed so hard I had to hard reset my Xbox. I'm also getting a lot of enemies that load without textures or have the textures load really late. I've died multiple times to these.

I ran into a rogue broadcast world event but the guy carrying the key ran outside of the demo border and then died so I couldn't finish the event. Granted that one is more nuisance than bug.

I didn't run into many bugs during the anthem beta because 90% of the time it just wouldn't load. Hopefully this beats that.

I didn't have any loading issues during the open demo, that's too bad that you did. I think some other people in the thread mentioned they did as well.
    Oh my sweet lord. Hard Mode. I'm in love with this game all over again. I also like how it's not just boosted enemies, but they replace enemies with the heavy variants and still mix in the low tier red health enemies. I also like how you have to think smart about positioning because the enemy WILL flank you and just start laying into your cover.

. . .I'm also thinking that in randoms, Glass Canon builds aren't so great as a lot of people don't know how to heal? I see droves and seeker mines just chilling on the full health user.

Really excited to see how brutal these raids are. I hope they really come with AI patterns and unique abilities.

The first time I tried the invasion I ended up getting matched into a hardmode group and didn't know it. After about 15 minutes of getting swarmed at the first checkpoint and respawning into the cross fire of 3 yellow mobs I was about ready to throw my controller through the wall. I only realized what had happened when someone left and the pop-up mentioned hard. I definitely don't have the patience to do that with randos but premade seems like it'd be good times.

• squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular

From the time I picked up a Covert SRSA1 and ran a pair of missions exclusively with it (with a shotgun in my second weapon slot) to when I replaced it with an M44 dropped from an armored grenade-spamming dude protecting the NatGuard weapon cache, I think I missed maybe 2 or 3 shots using the order of operations above. I don't even let the scope finish unblurring, and it's still landing headshots from across courtyards as long as you can see the head, run your mouse at low enough sensitivity, and place the center of the hollow circle on target.

Literally the only time I've stayed scoped in (chambering new rounds notwithstanding) is when targets are running and I'm pulling dragged shots to polish them off.

And yeah, I would imagine that it sucks with a controller. Hell, I could barely play the console version of Division 1 because I relied so much on scoped rifles in that game on PC and the ability to nail flick shots 9 times out of 10.

Honestly, I kinda like the way it is now (with the caveat being that this is from a purely PC-centric perspective).

EDIT -

If you want the option to do a scope-less ADS while still having the option for a scoped toggle, toss on a 4x. It functions identically to the scope toggles in Division 1. The only drawback being the (what appears to be) 20-MOA center dot...holy crap Massive...while I haven't picked up an ACOG in real-life, I can't imagine the center dot is that huge.

Man I watched someone show a run through farming Resistance one time because I was curious how they were doing it so efficiently solo and it ended up being a guy on PC that was just straight up quick scoping/drag scoping every enemy that spawned almost instantly. I watched for a minute and then turned it off since it might as well have been video from another universe.

It's interesting to see alot of PC players having issues with the beta as far as they layout and how things are designed since they released that trailer awhile back touting all of the knobs and levers you could turn on the PC and the fact that (at least to my perspective) the entire first game was balanced around gameplay on the PC with console just having to hope it kind of worked as best it could.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
    The combat still works great with a mouse and keyboard, and there’s plenty of options, both video and otherwise, you can tweak to get the best out of your machine.

But PC versions being the buggiest is normal considering all the different machine combinations possible. What will be important is how rapidly they’re addressed.

The menu system though is straight garbage regardless of platform.

edited March 2019

The first time I tried the invasion I ended up getting matched into a hardmode group and didn't know it. After about 15 minutes of getting swarmed at the first checkpoint and respawning into the cross fire of 3 yellow mobs I was about ready to throw my controller through the wall. I only realized what had happened when someone left and the pop-up mentioned hard. I definitely don't have the patience to do that with randos but premade seems like it'd be good times.

Yeah I didn't finish a HM Invasion. Every group failed at the ISAC terminal which I think is great. Honestly the difficulty doesn't seem like Destiny Hard/Nightfall (where casual groups were unlikely or impossible) but that you can fail a mission without coordinating with your team I'm all for. Randoms will learn as mentioned up-thread, and even with similar specializations in one group, that's only one weapon and I'm sure people will swap out skills/weapons for each combat zone. Or I hope so.

ED! on
    I thought the Invaded mission was a LOT harder this time. Guessing I got matched to Hard Mode? We finished it, but we wiped at 3 separate places and were constantly on the ropes. It was a great challenge but I thought the difficulty spike from last beta was a bit much. Red bar enemies took more than a clip to kill.

• Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the beta but this is not a $90 upgrade over The Division.