As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RIP Dave Cockrum dead at 63

GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Graphic Violence
http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/news/116456727499743.htm
Dave Cockrum Passes Away, Aged 63

Posted: Sunday, November 26
Posted By: Jason Brice
Print This Item

In an announcement from Clifford Meth, a close family friend of the Cockrums, it has been revealed that Dave Cockrum passed away this morning. The statement reads as follows:

With a heavy heart, I regret to inform you that Dave Cockrum passed away this morning. After a long battle with diabetics and its varied complications, Dave died in his sleep early this morning.

Dave's many creations—including some of the X-Men's staple characters—brought tremendous joy to his legion of fans. For three decades, he was a beloved fixture at comics conventions across the country where he would sketch for a pittance and encourage would-be creators. Those of us who knew Dave personally will remember him as one of the sweetest, jovial, most generous individuals in the comics industry. I'll miss my friend very much.

There are no details of services at this time. Dave asked to be cremated, and his widow Paty is burdened with the news, so well-wishers are asked not to call. Email can be sent to magnetorampant@yahoo.com.

SBC wishes to extend sincere condolences to the family and friends of Dave Cockrum.

I met him briefly back in March, and while he looked as if he was in poor health, he was an incredibly nice man.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on

• Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    This is sad news.

Being the LSH and X-Men junkie I am, I grew up with Cockrum's art in nearly every book I read. His second run in the 80s is some of the first comics I ever read. He's truly one of the greats, and he gets overshadowed by Byrne.

I have no love for Paty Cockrum most days, but today my prayers go out to her and her family.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2006
    As the co-creator of characters like Colossus, Nightcrawler and Storm, he's one of the creators who undeniably left his mark on the series for decades to come, even though he's often been overlooked in favour of bigger names who came after. He's given us some classic characters, and his stories were the ones that finally helped the X-Men take flight as a major league comic. It's those mid-seventies issues that really laid the groundwork for the X-Men's success, and without Cockrum... well, we'd all be reading something very, very different right now.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Bogart wrote:
    As the co-creator of characters like Colossus, Nightcrawler and Storm, he's one of the creators who undeniably left his mark on the series for decades to come, even though he's often been overlooked in favour of bigger names who came after. He's given us some classic characters, and his stories were the ones that finally helped the X-Men take flight as a major league comic. It's those mid-seventies issues that really laid the groundwork for the X-Men's success, and without Cockrum... well, we'd all be reading something very, very different right now.
    That's entirely true. He also gets a lion's share of credit for Wolverine's popularity, I think, since he's responsible for the near-total redesign that he had when he became an X-Man.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited November 2006
    Man, that's sad to hear, especially at only 63. His stuff has such a classic, solid feel to it.
    After a long battle with diabetics ... Dave died in his sleep early this morning.

Fucking diabetics. I hope he gave 'em hell.

DMAC on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2006
    DMAC wrote:
    After a long battle with diabetics ... Dave died in his sleep early this morning.

Fucking diabetics. I hope he gave 'em hell.

I love you, DMAC

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    holy shit.

major D: face. Mr. Cockrum is the reason I want to bone Storm.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited November 2006
    Oh man, this sucks.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Sad to hear. CNN had a short article about him. He died wearing his Superman pajamas and will be cremated wearing a Green Lantern shirt.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/28/comic.death.ap/index.html

Marathon on