As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbp]Hunger of the Beast[ToA]

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Skills: Yes
    I believe Har's only choice is Lunge over Riposting Shadows
    A: Piercing Thrust, Purge, Counter Stance, Execute
    S: Duelist Finesse
    M: Shadow Walk
    U: Flowing Blades

Har tightens her grip on her hammer, and creeps south 3, before taking up her counter stance.

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d2 for caster action choice

caster action choice:
    1d2 2 [1d2=2]

• Options
    edited February 2019
    The man in the red robe shouts an arcane word and raises his staff, and a bolt of lightning arcs between its tip and the wolf.

Caster (1) uses Thunderbolt on Ajax!
    Geth, roll 1d10 for attack roll
    Ajax reacts with Dodge, blocking damage and dashing to E8:F9.
    Caster (1) moves to E13.

Healer (2) uses Waters of Life, healing Regular (7) for 5.
    Healer (2) moves to G13.

@AustinP0027 Victor's turn!

attack roll:
    1d10 4 [1d10=4]

Xagar on
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Victor whispers to his group, "Looks like they are attacking the wolf. Which side are we taking here?"

Victor moves south 3 (to A4)

@joshgotro

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    "We're here for the bandits! Avoid the beast!"

Aub kicks into Colonel's sides. Colonel rushes to B10.

As Colonel comes to a halt Aub jumps up and feet touching the saddle, [Murderous Leap] leaps and dashes to I9.

Aub uses [Devastation] towards 6.

Geth roll 1d10 for dark magics.

@Xagar

dark magics:
    1d10 4 [1d10=4]

joshgotro on
  • Options
    oxejpuwg34xg.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Aub lands, her hair a vertical streak of red, settling behind her and the sword she just plunged into the ground. She tears it free and hissing bolts of black lightning pulp the wet earth in front of her, crawling over the group of shocked men.

Aub attacks G10:I12, dealing 4 damage to Regular (6), and 2 damage to Regular (5) and Regular (7). The Soldier (3) reacts with Deflect and blocks the damage.

---
    The Soldier growls at Aub, but remains focused on the bigger threat as he sees it, moving to F9 and using Shoulder Ram to push Ajax back 1 tile. He then strikes with his sword, using Enduring Strike to heal for 3 and deal 6 damage. Ajax's Enrage increases the damage to 8.

Regular (4) behind the Soldier does the same, moving to E9 and cutting into the beast's flank, dealing 8 damage total. At this, Ajax roars, and its hair extends into spiked bristles in a now-familiar way. He seems further enraged.

Regular (5) moves to H9 and swings at Aub, who takes the hit for 6 damage, choosing not to react until the right moment.

Regular (6) limps over to H12 towards his Healer, shouting for help.

Regular (7) charges forwards to I10, but Aub experty parries, blocking -4 damage with Focused Defense, negating the remaining 2 damage with her plating, and reacting with Counter to deal him 6 damage. The man falls, neatly run through.

---
    Ajax will counter with his own forceful move to F8:G9, using Shove to push Soldier (3) back 1 tile. He then rears up and slams the ground, sending mud flying and blasting the snow into eddies that gently swirl back into their typical fall.

Ajax uses Slam, attempting to inflict stagger and dealing 6 damage to D6:I11, attacking 3, 4, 5, 7, and Aub.
    The stagger counteracts the Soldier and Aub's stability, removing it, and 3 and 4 are looking mighty unsteady.

Geth, roll 1d10 for stagger success
    Geth, roll 1d10 for slam attack roll

---
    No one has any end step actions.

---
    Regular (7) loses 1 Spirit at the end of the round.

stagger success:
    1d10 7 [1d10=7]
    slam attack roll:
    1d10 8 [1d10=8]

Xagar on
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Round 2
    4tmmvoan2fzf.png

@discrider Har's turn!
    (At the start of Har's turn, Counter Stance ends.)

Xagar on
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    "od dammit Aub"
    Xagar wrote: »
    Regular (5) moves to H9 and swings at Aub, who takes the hit for 6 damage, choosing not to react until the right moment.

Regular (7) charges forwards to I10, but Aub experty parries, blocking -4 damage with Focused Defense, negating the remaining 2 damage with her plating, and reacting with Counter to deal him 6 damage. The man falls, neatly run through.

Ajax uses Slam, attempting to inflict stagger and dealing 6 damage to D6:I11, attacking 3, 4, 5, 7, and Aub.
    The stagger counteracts the Soldier and Aub's stability, removing it, and 3 and 4 are looking mighty unsteady.

"Aub!"
    Dropping all pretense of stealth, Har Lunges to C9.
    And then assesses the situation further.
    (A7->A9->C9)

discrider on
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    "Hey!", Aub shouts, the smell of burned fur filling the air, "What are you doing to that dog? Barn-razers".
    Her eyes glow blue as she glides through the brush, hammer poised.
    Har uses [Flowing Blades]
    Har moves to E10, half pushing through, half teleporting, before lashing at the stunned regular for 8 damage and sweeping out at the Soldier for 6 more.
    Felling the stunned regular (I'm assuming that -3 means no reaction), she then turns her full attention to the Soldier, attacking for another 8.

Geth roll 1d10 for sweep.
    Geth roll 1d10 for spiking the Soldier.
    If the soldier is also defeated, Har then dashes 2 from E10 to G10 post attack, and then dashes 1 to H10.
    Attempting to defeat H9, then bouncing off to attack H12, and then flanking and attacking the healer to stop at H13.

Otherwise she has a post attack dash-2 to somewhere after failing to fell the soldier

sweep:
    1d10 2 [1d10=2]
    spiking the Soldier:
    1d10 9 [1d10=9]

discrider on
  • Options
    @discrider The soldier is defeated, and you may continue your Flowing Blades.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Running across to Aub (H10) she barely stops to pile drive Regular 5 into the ground.
    "You're insane!", she mouths in passing, flecks of brine peeling off her hammer and from the corners of her eyes.
    Dashing to H11, she swings at the mewling Regular before moving past to H13 onto the metaphorical mother

Regular 5 not reacting.
    Geth roll 1d10 for Reaction from Regular 6
    Geth roll 1d10 for Reaction from the healer as 8 damage encroaches.

Reaction from Regular 6:
    1d10 4 [1d10=4]
    Reaction from the healer as 8 damage encroaches:
    1d10 6 [1d10=6]

discrider on
  • Options
    They didn't even get time to run.

---
    The two figures in the back share a look, and run downhill.

Geth, roll 1d10+2 for caster Speed check
    Geth, roll 1d10+2 for healer Speed check

If you would like to pursue them, you can exit the edge of the battlefield on your turn and enter a chase, where everyone involved makes Speed checks to determine how the chase is going. If the results are within 3, then you're treated as if you're adjacent to each other.

---
    @AustinP0027 Victor's turn!

caster Speed check:
    1d10+2 10 [1d10=8]
    healer Speed check:
    1d10+2 11 [1d10=9]

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Victor blinks, and the battlefield changes.Har and Aub are in the middle of the fighting, and he’s forced to try and keep up. Moving quickly through bushes, the Radiant scrambles forward to catch up with his allies, who move much quicker than he does.

Move to A5 -> B5 -> C5

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    @Xagar to check

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    @Xagar to check

(You shouldn't be moving diagonally.. might be able to cast from C5?
    Not sure how the within 6 works)

• Options
    edited February 2019
    (yeah, within 6 means 6 distance away measuring by foot. That is using this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxicab_geometry
    So you won't be able to reach.
    Ring 6 would reach, rather than Within 6.)

discrider on
  • Options
    If I can’t go diagonal, then farthest I can get is C5, which is where I would move.

This is why we don’t run away from the healer....

• Options
    edited February 2019
    If I can’t go diagonal, then farthest I can get is C5, which is where I would move.

Just to summarise:
    Wolf is annoyed.
    All the others are dying bar the lightning casting Mage and the opposing cleric, and they're currently running away.

On balance, I would agree with you, but we appear to be okay at this moment.

Maybe we could think about stabilising a regular or two, otherwise Colonel is nearby..

discrider on
  • Options

It's OK, the same thing happens in my home game.

And yep, you can't move diagonally (unless you're a rogue).

• Options
    edited February 2019
    I should also mention again that "x by x ring" is a ring of "x by x" squares. For example, Aub's Quake Stomp, a 2x2 ring, is the same as a 5x5 square centered on her. The wolf's Stomp is a 2x2 ring as well, but hits a larger area since he's 2x2 himself.

Xagar on
  • Options
    edited February 2019

So, you could possibly also move off the map to the east to give chase to the mage and Cleric.

Aub's rather lucky that Counter + Lunge allowed Har to catch up in all honesty, whilst/because she was being murdered..
    I rather only thought I'd be using it to close distance on attacks targeting Har.

discrider on
  • Options
    @joshgotro Colonel/Aub's turn.

• Options
    I've edited my stuff above to show only the move (which you've already recorded)

• Options
    I'm a shit.

@Xagar Move Colonel to I9 and Aub is going to mount and give chase.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    And then we never saw Victor ever again
    But sometimes, on a quiet night, I can almost still hear him, trudging alone through the forest

discrider on
  • Options
    Jeeeeeeeerrrrrrrkkkkkssss

• Options
    @joshgotro Both Aub and Colonel have an action remaining, and are conveniently right next to a bandit - mounting just costs your move.

• Options
    @joshgotro Both Aub and Colonel have an action remaining, and are conveniently right next to a bandit - mounting just costs your move.

All the bandits should be defeated?

• Options
    #5 is still up per the map

• Options
    edited March 2019
    #5 is still up per the map
    discrider wrote: »
    Running across to Aub (H10) she barely stops to pile drive Regular 5 into the ground.
    "You're insane!", she mouths in passing, flecks of brine peeling off her hammer and from the corners of her eyes.
    Dashing to H11, she swings at the mewling Regular before moving past to H13 onto the metaphorical mother

Regular 5 not reacting.
    Geth roll 1d10 for Reaction from Regular 6
    Geth roll 1d10 for Reaction from the healer as 8 damage encroaches.

Thanks geth :P

Reaction from Regular 6:
    1d10 10 [1d10=10]
    Reaction from the healer as 8 damage encroaches:
    1d10 1 [1d10=1]

discrider on
  • Options
    Colonel is going to kick him in the face. If that doesn't kill him Aub will use Measured Strike.

Geth roll 2d10 for VIOLENCE

VIOLENCE:
    2d10 12 [2d10=3, 9]

• Options
    edited March 2019
    As I recall, I think you were diagonal moving for part of your Flowing Blades, so I redid all the dashes so they would work...he's pretty donezo anyways.

EDIT: And he gets finished off after blocking Colonel's hooves.

Xagar on
  • Options
    Nah, it was E10 - > 4 -> Soldier -> G10 -> H10 -> 5 -> H11 -> 6 -> H13 -> Healer and stop

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Ajax, unable to reach the oh-so-tasty looking horse and rider, and unwilling to attack Har, will move to D5:E6 and try to capture Victor in his jaws with Kidnap.

Victor again is able to use his Shimmering Veil to not get grabbed, but takes 12 damage.

@discrider Har's turn!

Geth, roll 2d10 for attack roll, effect roll

attack roll, effect roll:
    2d10 4 [2d10=1, 3]

Xagar on
  • Options
    He's not chasing the lightning bolt Mage that lightning bolted him?

• Options
    FUCK WE KILLED Victor.

• Options
    You think that Ajax looks to be attacking the closest possible target.

• Options
    Bad dog!

• Options
    fhfvh2z8gfvz.png