As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[L5R LCG] Imperial cycle has releases faster than One Punch Man fight scenes.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Any chance of feedback? Here's some refinement of the deck I've been using for 7 months. Turns out I stumbled on a good archtype on my own, though you wouldn't know it...

https://www.bushibuilder.com/l5r/deck/?deck=500a092e-9bfb-11e8-9c0e-020c407d2d9d&public=y

I would cut a Cav Reserves for a third Wayfinder. Cav Reserves isn't really a card you want 3 of in my experience.

No disrespect, but no way in hell. :D

I've had at least one match where I had 2 of my Cav reserves cancelled. I've also had more than one match where I used cav reserves twice in the same conflict (after being cancelled). It's too bread and butter on breaking stuff.

I get where you are saying, but I do have quite a few other cavs - and I'm going to be doing some more tweaking by getting rid of things that don't synergize with Cav reserves. :)

I do want to try to get Stay Your Hand into my deck though...

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Any chance of feedback? Here's some refinement of the deck I've been using for 7 months. Turns out I stumbled on a good archtype on my own, though you wouldn't know it...

https://www.bushibuilder.com/l5r/deck/?deck=500a092e-9bfb-11e8-9c0e-020c407d2d9d&public=y

I think you could probably cut down on the Censures - how often do you have the favor? Defend Your Honor is also a possible choice. A third Wayfinder is a correct choice, I think, since knowing where provinces are is always good and he gives you the shugenja trait to play more Cloud the Mind (which you probably want 3-of too). That also lets you trade out Border Fortress for a more useful air province, like Manicured Garden. Appealing to the Fortunes or Pilgrimage is also probably better than Shameful Display for your void province since you don't want to defend all that much, and Shameful is only good if you are defending. Oddly enough, you could even consider dropping Court Games entirely - you might just have better cards!

I would probably toss Yumino - your cards in hand are often more valuable than a single +2. Use her slots to bring Tetsuko and Shono up to 3 each, they're MVPs in the deck. I also really like Moto Nergui and would try to fit him in if possible - maybe losing some Favorable Grounds/Palace. Send home is a very good skill in a aggro deck, and keep in mind you can also do fun plays like Charge! Regulars, Nergui them home, then have them to participate in your next challenge.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Okay, wayfinder's going back in. :) I also want to put a Harmonize back in - that's been a mainstay in my deck ever since I switched to Phoenix, and it puts in work too. Again, send home shenanigans, even if it sends home one of their chars too.

The censures were a recent addition. I was thinking I needed something to cancel events, but.. maybe not?

I could've sworn I updated the deck with Pilgrimage. I think you are right, Border Fortress doesn't terribly fit the playstyle and other scouting is better. Nergui was in an earlier version of this deck..

Does everyone run 40-card conflict, or is slightly more an okay thing?

Edit: Yumino was a mistake, I misclicked - meant Utaku Kamiko. Should I still remove her? It's another big, expensive hitter but it has some potential of just being a powerhouse.

I can get rid of some non-synergistic cheap stuff, like Sneaky Shinjo or Utaku Infantry, to bump up Tetsuko and Shono. Nergui's a little tougher to get in.

Edit 2: Deck's been updated.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    New article up about the Unicorn clan pack, talking about the non-purple cards.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Couple of new RPG products announced today.

Courts of Stone, about castles, keeps, and courts.
    Winter's Embrace, a new adventure with YA BOIIIIIIIII on the cover.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    It looks like we can predict the product line for the RPG now. Books with a great clan, minor clan, and another topic of focus (shadowlands, courts so far) and an adventure covering that topic released at the same time.

If the books have as much depth as Emerald Empire, I'm going to have to buy all of them...

• Options
    I'm getting very upset at FFG / ANA.

They just announced the second pack in the upcoming cycle. And with it, more FFG-store exclusive art cards. It's a minor thing, I know, but I have supported the game through a hell of a lot at my local store, and seeing all these exclusives is getting very, very annoying.

• Options
    I'm getting very upset at FFG / ANA.

They just announced the second pack in the upcoming cycle. And with it, more FFG-store exclusive art cards. It's a minor thing, I know, but I have supported the game through a hell of a lot at my local store, and seeing all these exclusives is getting very, very annoying.

Every time I see an announcement for L5R (LCG or RPG) the top comments are complaining about this.

Which I completely agree with. I wonder if they are locked in to doing this for a time and haven't been able to respond to the backlash. Or maybe, despite being completely awful for local stores, it is increasing sales.

If they offered this as an in store incentive, I'd almost certainly start preordering. I'm not going to do it from FFG though (shipping costs are stupid).

• Options
    SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    So I bought 1 core set to try this game out with my wife as we love playing games together and we've enjoyed Arkham Horror and LOTR LCG from FFG. We did the Lion/Crane starter decks and our first impression is that this game is LONG (our 1st game took us 3.5 hours). It's really because there are about a million different choices to make all the time, which can be pretty overwhelming. We are going to try it again with the same decks and maybe different clans to see if we can get our speed up - is there something we are missing you think though?

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Spherick wrote: »
    So I bought 1 core set to try this game out with my wife as we love playing games together and we've enjoyed Arkham Horror and LOTR LCG from FFG. We did the Lion/Crane starter decks and our first impression is that this game is LONG (our 1st game took us 3.5 hours). It's really because there are about a million different choices to make all the time, which can be pretty overwhelming. We are going to try it again with the same decks and maybe different clans to see if we can get our speed up - is there something we are missing you think though?

You have a real core of it. The game speeds up as people memorize cards and possibilities, but probably the singular ?challenge? ?downfall? of this game above all others is the game length and frequent pass back and forth of play.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Spherick wrote: »

You have a real core of it. The game speeds up as people memorize cards and possibilities, but probably the singular ?challenge? ?downfall? of this game above all others is the game length and frequent pass back and forth of play.

Thanks for the confirmation - gonna try and get a couple more games in to see if things speed up - preferably I'd like to get a game in below 90 minutes. You're right though that a lot of time on the 1st game was trying to read every card six different times to see what they did and look up silly rules questions (can you pay to put fate on a character played from Charge! for instance - still not sure?).

All that being said - its a super strategic and fun game and I really enjoy the transient nature of the boardstate. Really had some swingy turns that changed the tempo of the game completely - usually don't get that in other games.

Edit: I did wish they had a flow-chart or something of when the action windows are - would make my life easier!

Spherick on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Tournament rounds are 65 minutes and most games come in under that. In addition to just playing faster the example decks are obviously sub-optimal which means it takes longer to get a decisive enough advantage to end the games.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Tournament rounds are 65 minutes and most games come in under that. In addition to just playing faster the example decks are obviously sub-optimal which means it takes longer to get a decisive enough advantage to end the games.

If I wanted to make better decks using 1 core - do you recommend just mashing a couple of clans together and playing that way without regard to deckbuilding rules?

• Options
    I can usually play tourney games in 30-40 mins. At our elemental championship, with 26 players and 5 rounds, only about 5 games went to time.

Sadly, the 1 core experience of this game is horrid. The problem, and what leads to long play times, is the variance. To include all 7 clans, they could only print 1 of each core card in the base set. This means that you have very little stability or focus, and that draws out turns.

Everyone.. literally everyone I've introduced the game to, I've told to not judge it till you play with 2 cores. Even the 1 core / 30 card deck setup is inadequate. But I also recognize that such is an expensive buy in.

I don't know if mashing together dynasty cards will speed up the game, as it isn't built for that and the variance problem wouldn't be solved.

Honestly, I'd recommend one of two paths:

1. Proxy. Try full-on 40 card decks with 2-3 copies of each, looking around for starter deck configs and such. This is the cheapest way to play the game, and perhaps Jigoku can help with that.

2. Look into getting a clan pack (Scorpion and Phoenix out now, Unicorn and Crane coming soon) or the Deluxe pack. This will provide a lot of interesting cards, though the core cards are still super important.

The nice thing about an LCG is that it's a one time investment. And more than that, because of how thin the core is, there will be very little wasted cards outside of the neutrals.

• Options
    If I wanted to limit my investment for now - which would you recommend - getting a 2nd core set or grab a clan pack?

• Options
    I'd 100% recommend a second core as the next purchase, especially if you are building decks for 2 people. They can often be found for well under MSRP.

I'd probably suggest a 3rd core after that, but a clan pack (if you want to play that clan) or maybe Children of the Empire would be good.

• Options
    I would probably buy the second core, then Children of the Empire. If you definitely enjoy the game, then you can start considering packs in cycles, clan packs, or the third core.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I can usually play tourney games in 30-40 mins. At our elemental championship, with 26 players and 5 rounds, only about 5 games went to time.

Sadly, the 1 core experience of this game is horrid. The problem, and what leads to long play times, is the variance. To include all 7 clans, they could only print 1 of each core card in the base set. This means that you have very little stability or focus, and that draws out turns.

Everyone.. literally everyone I've introduced the game to, I've told to not judge it till you play with 2 cores. Even the 1 core / 30 card deck setup is inadequate. But I also recognize that such is an expensive buy in.

I don't know if mashing together dynasty cards will speed up the game, as it isn't built for that and the variance problem wouldn't be solved.

Honestly, I'd recommend one of two paths:

1. Proxy. Try full-on 40 card decks with 2-3 copies of each, looking around for starter deck configs and such. This is the cheapest way to play the game, and perhaps Jigoku can help with that.

2. Look into getting a clan pack (Scorpion and Phoenix out now, Unicorn and Crane coming soon) or the Deluxe pack. This will provide a lot of interesting cards, though the core cards are still super important.

The nice thing about an LCG is that it's a one time investment. And more than that, because of how thin the core is, there will be very little wasted cards outside of the neutrals.

I imagine the game has picked up pace as people have gotten better, but the first grand tournament I went to still had over half the games going to time. Extreme expertise probably gets it shorter, but it's a very long game with lots of analysis paralysis.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Yeah, it really isn't an issue now.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I really just wish my FLGS still had a community. Basically totally died out after last christmas and now I'd have to drive 45 minutes to an hour on a weeknight instead of 10 minutes down the road on a Sunday afternoon.

• Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    I really just wish my FLGS still had a community. Basically totally died out after last christmas and now I'd have to drive 45 minutes to an hour on a weeknight instead of 10 minutes down the road on a Sunday afternoon.

I wish I was better at maintaining a community. I blame myself (probably unfairly) for it.

Then again, I want to play, and organizing limits play.

• Options

Man, I still can't get a good read on what they're up to. They're definitely starting to throw up "totally a cult" signs, though.

There's three options I can see.
    1) Kolat plot to raise a peasant army. Everything so far seems to still mesh with their ethos, and if they need to lie to the people a bit for their own benefit, so be it.

2) I'm not saying that the "little teacher" in this case is actually Fu Leng, but... if they start talking about "My new vision taught me some basic rituals anyone can perform, and now the people have the power to strike back at the samurai..." BLOODSPEAKAH

3) It could be legit? Or a weird side-route trying to prepare the people for a impending Shadowlands invasion.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »

Man, I still can't get a good read on what they're up to. They're definitely starting to throw up "totally a cult" signs, though.

There's three options I can see.
    1) Kolat plot to raise a peasant army. Everything so far seems to still mesh with their ethos, and if they need to lie to the people a bit for their own benefit, so be it.

2) I'm not saying that the "little teacher" in this case is actually Fu Leng, but... if they start talking about "My new vision taught me some basic rituals anyone can perform, and now the people have the power to strike back at the samurai..." BLOODSPEAKAH

3) It could be legit? Or a weird side-route trying to prepare the people for a impending Shadowlands invasion.
    I mean, it really feels like Kolat, but crossed with Fudoism. Regardless, I do wonder if Daisetsu will support it.

• Options

New fiction day...

And a VERY special Unicorn preview...

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Also a new article went up today for... basically all games? Talking about the new Open Play series of kits for stores.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    We knew it was coming.. but the way it played out...

• Options
    Pack 3 of the upcoming cycle announcement:

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options

New preview article, talking about the non-Crane cards in the Crane clan pack.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    In case you guys aren't part of the RPG thread, I'm asking for some story ideas for a series of L5R self-contained adventures I'd like to develop, if anyone is interested.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options

And now the Crane previews from their pack.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Lion clan pack announced, leaving Crab and Dragon as the last 2 to release/announce.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/4/19/the-emperors-legion/

Holy shit on Embrace Death...

l5c27_a1_embrace-death.png

That art, that theme, that influence cost...

• Options
    edited April 2019
    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    The new rules reference is up and they decided to just completely rewrite like 3 cards with errata which I think is nuts.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Also new roles!
    Based on the votes that were cast, the following roles will be available to each of the clans starting on May 6th:

Crab: Seeker of Void

Crane: Seeker of Void

Dragon: Keeper of Water

Lion: Seeker of Air

Phoenix: Seeker of Void

Scorpion: Keeper of Air

Unicorn: Keeper of Water

These are in addition to the roles that are currently available to each clan through August 2019, as visible on the Clan Roles page.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    That feeling when you have a Aranat running around with 10 Pol due to getting a full-bonus Speak to the Heart.

The entire court, nodding it's head to the argument being made. Shoju is just sitting in the back, wondering what the eff is going on.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Looks like we're heading back into the best season: preview season.

Crane previews up on The Crane Haus

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    We have our rotation plans for L5R!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/5/23/mono-no-aware/

I, for one, am very happy about this. It's shorter than Netrunner by a significant margin. Which means they are learning.