As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Let's hope they don't pull a Bethesda, they're not too bad yet.

I don't see that happening. CDPR is pushing what they can do in a video game with the idea that they have to do it right to compete, and sticking with a genre their fans would like. Bethesda pulled a complete 180 and created a game most of their community wouldn't like, then pissed off their modding community and rushed out a bad Rust clone all while talking like they just made the next WOW.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Man, I've forgotten all about this game.

Not in a bad way, more of a its been talked about for so long I'm kind of just ignoring it until it finally comes out.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

What do you mean? These guys don't seem to have any problem releasing stable, refined products without crippling the game with big development shortcuts, outdated engines, or terrible design and writing.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    And BTW, I hope their 'when it's ready' idea is validated. I expect this game to be out in 2020, albeit very early 2020, purely based off the reference to the source material. One of the few downsides of the company was their need for a rather inhumane crunch time for Witcher 3. So if it's coming out 'when it's ready', there should be no 'crunch'.

And, you know... hopefully they found a new marketing guy to be on Twitter, because the previous guy was a bit tone deaf.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    The trouble with describing something as "pulling a bethesda" is that it can mean any of like a dozen ways to horribly ruin a game and drive a franchise into the ground

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »
    And BTW, I hope their 'when it's ready' idea is validated. I expect this game to be out in 2020, albeit very early 2020, purely based off the reference to the source material. One of the few downsides of the company was their need for a rather inhumane crunch time for Witcher 3. So if it's coming out 'when it's ready', there should be no 'crunch'.

And, you know... hopefully they found a new marketing guy to be on Twitter, because the previous guy was a bit tone deaf.

Considering their response to crunch was to romanticize it as just part of their studio culture and how you make good games.

It's uh, fairly easy to guess they're still treating workers badly.

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular

What do you mean? These guys don't seem to have any problem releasing stable, refined products without crippling the game with big development shortcuts, outdated engines, or terrible design and writing.
    I don't know about stable or refined. The first two Witcher games were buggy and rather unstable when they first released. Even Witcher 3 was kind of an unoptimized hog when it came out. To CDP's credit they took the time to iron them out afterward but I intentionally waited on buying any of them for several months after release because I didn't want to deal with that.

That being said CDP has displayed a clear desire to try to be"the best" where Bethesda often seems content with "good enough."

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I seriously doubt Fallout has been "Driven into the ground. . ." They took a chance, it failed - doesn't stop 3 or 4 (or any other the other Bethesda jank-games) from being solid.

CDPR seems to be taking a chance here as well in making a truly seamless open-world game. . .just from a first person perspective. I'm sure they'll stick the landing by making the game they want to make (much in the same way Bethesda makes the games they want to make).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    The trouble with describing something as "pulling a bethesda" is that it can mean any of like a dozen ways to horribly ruin a game and drive a franchise into the ground

I'm genuinely perplexed at what you're referring to other than FO76, which was unquestionably a disaster. FO4 was mixed but hardly ruined. I don't think it's fair to say they've run the franchise into the ground. 76 was (I assume)
    a one-off experiment and while it failed, I don't fault them for stretching their wings a bit and trying something new (unless they fail to learn from it). Now if they plant their flag into making 76 the flagship of the studio, then that's bad.

And uh, they haven't exactly run Elder Scrolls into the ground. I mean that new title card was a rush but I didn't feel like it was an overwhelming amount of content, I think I can handle some more.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Elder Scrolls Online is a failure of pretty serious proportions.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    3clipse wrote: »

"In February 2017, it was announced that the game had surpassed over 8.5 million in retail sales[77] having around one million monthly active players.[78] In June 2017, it was announced that more than 10 million players had played the game since release, and that the game had around 2.5 million monthly active players.[79]"

Yeah, they only sold in the hundreds of millions of dollars. :rotate:

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    well, shows you how much I know.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Yeah but it didn't kill WoW. (not baggin' on you, eclipse, that's just the laughable standard that wave of MMOs was held to when it launched)

Bobble on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »

Considering their response to crunch was to romanticize it as just part of their studio culture and how you make good games.

It's uh, fairly easy to guess they're still treating workers badly.

The preview video that was just posted began with an interview with a dude from the studio who looked like he needed an intervention he was so tired. That shit hasn’t changed.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I was mainly referring to them taking 8+ years for to finish it and releasing meh spinoffs instead.

• Options
    My brother and his gf are heavy into ESO these days. Apparently they've done solid work the last 2-3 expansions and fleshed things out. I guess they've found their niche and it's doin' alright.

Though ultimately Bethesda's just the publisher on that one, so they shouldn't get the same credit/blame as with the other titles.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    My brother and his gf are heavy into ESO these days. Apparently they've done solid work the last 2-3 expansions and fleshed things out. I guess they've found their niche and it's doin' alright.

Though ultimately Bethesda's just the publisher on that one, so they shouldn't get the same credit/blame as with the other titles.

Oh yeah ESO is in a much better position nowadays since the overhaul then when it first launched.

Turns out if you give TES fans a TES-like MMO instead of a WoW-clone they will responded positively. Who knew?

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »

I'm genuinely perplexed at what you're referring to other than FO76, which was unquestionably a disaster. FO4 was mixed but hardly ruined. I don't think it's fair to say they've run the franchise into the ground. 76 was (I assume)
    a one-off experiment and while it failed, I don't fault them for stretching their wings a bit and trying something new (unless they fail to learn from it). Now if they plant their flag into making 76 the flagship of the studio, then that's bad.

And uh, they haven't exactly run Elder Scrolls into the ground. I mean that new title card was a rush but I didn't feel like it was an overwhelming amount of content, I think I can handle some more.

I viewed it more as a commentary on how Bethesda has a reputation for putting out really fun but, um, lets go with cobbled-together games that are only super fun until said cobbled-togetherness breaks a 60+ hour save and then the only hope is that a fan patch fixes it in a year or two because Bethesda is already on to cobbling together it's next really fun generally functional game.

I mean I've played Bethesda games since Daggerfall and I've loved almost all of them but I can't even begin to pretend that they have a reputation for functionality.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Oh neat 30 new posts in the Cyberpunk thread! Must be some new...s...

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Oh neat 30 new posts in the Cyberpunk thread! Must be some new...s...

Your first mistake was thinking there could be news. That's how the 'corps bait you in.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Tbf they could do with not making any news for a bit

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

"In February 2017, it was announced that the game had surpassed over 8.5 million in retail sales[77] having around one million monthly active players.[78] In June 2017, it was announced that more than 10 million players had played the game since release, and that the game had around 2.5 million monthly active players.[79]"

Yeah, they only sold in the hundreds of millions of dollars. :rotate:

To be fair, they were selling ESO for peanuts for a while, it was in a Humble Bundle, etc. Easy to inflate sales data.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I don't see a point in arguing which corporation's culture is shittier cause I mean...

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    2077 and another unnamed AAA RPG by CD Projekt will be out by 2021 which is interesting and depressing at the same time.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Why is that depressing? Nearly guarantees 2077 by at least 2020 and then probably something Witcher/Gwent related I'm guessing.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Seems pretty clear they're aiming for it to be one of the first AAA megahits for the next generation of hardware/streaming services.

• Options
    ED! wrote: »
    Why is that depressing? Nearly guarantees 2077 by at least 2020 and then probably something Witcher/Gwent related I'm guessing.

I was thinking it would come out 4th quarter 2019 but it looks like it won't.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was also hoping for the game as a current generation title, but I trust CD Projekt to know what they want and what to do.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Q1 or even Q2 2020 should put it this gen.

It might even go cross-gen.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Q1 or even Q2 2020 should put it this gen.

It might even go cross-gen.

Most likely cross-gen. Rumors (for a long while) have Sony and Microsoft unveiling new hardware at E3, with it being available next year.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Sony revealing new hardware will be interesting, whatever platform they'll take to announcing that. I thought Sony was ditching E3 this year.

EDIT: More outdoor musical "experiences" so you can hear a man playing a guitar as you get more TLOU2 footage, maybe a shamisen for another Japan feudal era setting game. Weird colour blobs with feelings bouncing across 4 widescreen monitors as bumpers between trailers.

(Sony E3 2018 was kind of a let-down, from a showmanship standpoint)

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Sony is skipping E3 this year. Honestly, they probably should've skipped last year too.

EA is skipping E3 as well to focus on EA Play instead.

Some journalists have joked it'd be easier to list who is doing E3 this year then to list who isn't.

But this is probably the last year before Next-Gen hype starts. Though I feel like it may be 50/50 that Microsoft announces Xbone 2: Electric Boogaloo this E3.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Xbone 2.

X box one two.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Xbone 2.

X box one two.

Twelve already?

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Xbox One was such a dumb name for their third console. Kind of painted themselves into a corner.

Still, Xbox 360 had a pretty daft suffix too.

I can't see them going with Xbox Two, or Xbox One Two, but Xbox Twelve I could see. :lol:

It'll have a daft suffix again, no question.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    No need to worry about consoles with stadia.

• Options

You should see a doctor about that.

• Options
    lwt1973 wrote: »

You should see a doctor about that.

ctrs677mrnfi.jpg

• Options
    Xbone 2.

X box one two.
    I might just wait for the Xbox one two three

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    It'll be the Xbox Omega after.

What is this I don't even.