As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Love all this Dirt Rally feedback, thanks everyone! I look forward to getting the chance to play.

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    I'm not getting it unless it's on sale for a good price, because fuck Codemasters.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    I'm not getting it unless it's on sale for a good price, because fuck Codemasters.

Wait what? Codemasters used to be one of my favourite game development companies, with games like Micro Machines, TOCA Touring Cars, Colin MacRae Rally, Sensible Soccer, Dirt... What'd they do?

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »

Wait what? Codemasters used to be one of my favourite game development companies, with games like Micro Machines, TOCA Touring Cars, Colin MacRae Rally, Sensible Soccer, Dirt... What'd they do?

Made a lot of promises about DiRT 4 based on people liking Rally.

Game was a trash fire.

Lots of half promises to look at fixing handling etc to carry people past refund periods.

DiRT 4 was the first time I genuinely felt ripped off by a game.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Vettel binned the Ferrari in testing at Barcelona, going off at turn 3 at 150mph. He said it was an issue with the front left, but the car took so much damage it's going to be hard to pin down what happened. They got it out again for Leclerc with seven minutes to go.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Jazz wrote: »
    Vettel binned the Ferrari in testing at Barcelona, going off at turn 3 at 150mph. He said it was an issue with the front left, but the car took so much damage it's going to be hard to pin down what happened. They got it out again for Leclerc with seven minutes to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgs84F8Pqyc

This might be the only available video, and it's not great quality, but going off the massive tire smoke out of no where it looks like the front left might have locked up going into the turn

Veevee on
    Hamilton has said he's shocked over how bad the viewing figures have got (in the UK for live races). https://www.planetf1.com/news/hamilton-shocked-by-terrible-viewing-figures/

Honestly I hadn't realised they were that bad, but I'm not actually surprised at all. There seems to have almost been a paradoxical but aggressive push to get people to stop watching for the last few years; the Sky TV element is a huge part of that, and this year it's only going to be worse.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    It's almost like putting at least 2 stacked paywalls in front of your audience dramatically reduces it!

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    edited March 2019
    It's almost like putting at least 2 stacked paywalls in front of your audience dramatically reduces it!

Who'd've thunk it?

Jazz on
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Meanwhile, iRacing making a case for just watching digital races:

https://youtu.be/C0bTJjYi1Rg

Some of these make me really wish I had an extra hour or two a day to fire it up again.

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, iRacing making a case for just watching digital races:

https://youtu.be/C0bTJjYi1Rg

Some of these make me really wish I had an extra hour or two a day to fire it up again.

Finger on the resub button like you don't know...

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i have strange feelings about this coming F1 season

it feels like a lot of the arcs have come to an end... and unless Merc and Ferrari are totally equal then there's not a lot to watch for other than a potential Red Bull resurgence/collapse

OR Ferrari is dominant but LeClerc is a challenge to Vettel so we can get a Hamilton/Rosberg situation

but man oh man if Chase Carrey has any power please get Bottas out of that seat and put someone good in there to give us a show vs. Hamilton

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Gonna be interesting to see how things play out in two weeks. Everyone seems high on Ferrari but you have to wonder how much Merc is sandbagging.

steam_sig.png
    I’m still hopeful for the aero changes giving us more fun drafting chase downs and passing throughout the field. Remains to be seen though.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I'd like to see a closing of the gap between the front 3 and everyone else, but that's probably not going to happen.

Watching Hamilton run hot laps for a season isn't any fun, and I can't understand why F1 is okay with that sort of thing, but maybe as a recent fan it's something that works for them?

I'd much prefer a season where the championship was between more than two drivers. At least for part of the season. Is there any doubt at all that if Vettel isn't up to it this year again, Hamilton will take another driver's championship? Is there any doubt that no one else is in a position to challenge Merc? Is there any doubt that the real action is going to be in the mid pack?

So who cares about the top teams? Their shit isn't interesting.

Unless the changes do something about that, I can absolutely see F1s viewership continuing to tank.

One of the problems with tv coverage, at least the Sky feed we get here in the US, is that they spend about 90% of the time on the top six positions throughout the race. Occasionally that is exciting but really it is infinitely more fun to watch, say, 8th-12th desperately trying to get as many points as they can.

It’s a bit better with the online F1tv stuff but still not the same without the knowledgeable commentary to go along with it.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I kind of feel like I watch F1 out of habit and not because the racing is good because it certainly isn't and hasn't been for ages. If I want really good open wheel racing IndyCar is my go to. The racing is incredibly close and almost any driver can legitimately contest for a win.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    My hope for this year is for Bottas to become truly unhinged and have a ferocious win-at-all-costs attitude. Dude needs to start making his own waves!

steam_sig.png
    Ferrari will not be running the Mission Winnow logos in Australia.

Choice quote:
    "Winnow is not a brand, it has nothing to do with tobacco, because it concerns the transition from tobacco to electronic [products]."

:eh:

Also, there's this:
    The first hint at a looming change came when a revised F1 2019 entry list issued last week gave Ferrari's team name simply as 'Scuderia Ferrari', and not 'Scuderia Ferrari Mission Winnow' as originally used.

I can't help but mentally pronounce that stupid brand to rhyme with "minnow", as in the small fish. Which I'm 99% sure is not how they intend it. Which in turn means I'll keep doing it.

I can't help but mentally pronounce that stupid brand to rhyme with "minnow", as in the small fish. Which I'm 99% sure is not how they intend it. Which in turn means I'll keep doing it.

Is that... not how you're supposed to say it?

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    edited March 2019
    I thought it was supposed to be "Mission Win Now", it was just stylised with the last two words joined up to create the not-Marlboro logo... I could be completely wrong, of course!

This is all just another example of why it's shitty branding! :lol:

Jazz on
    I thought it was supposed to be "Mission Win Now", it was just stylised with the last two words joined up to create the not-Marlboro logo... I could be completely wrong, of course!

This is all just another example of why it's shitty branding! :lol:

No, it's definitely "Winnow" as in "separate the desirable from the undesirable."
    "Winnow is not a brand, it has nothing to do with tobacco, because it concerns the transition from tobacco to electronic [products]."

This is my favorite kind of wordplay and obfuscation they're doing. Sometimes, they insist that the new brand has nothing to do with tobacco or e-cigarettes. Then in other places (like this quote) they just say it has nothing to do with tobacco.

I mean, this sort of sideways marketing where you market some nonsense meaningless brand in order to eventually direct people towards your real brand seems like a shitty marketing strategy for a normal company, but if you're a cigarette company that can't market on TV at all I guess it's pretty good in comparison.

At least PMI picked something that nobody had used, so when you google it you get to their stuff. BAT has screwed up by naming their campaign with McLaren after a John Woo movie.

steam_sig.png
    Cheers for the clarification; you learn something new every day :)

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Looks like we're getting a rule change in F1, wherein the person with the fastest lap in the GP will get a championship point, if they finish in the top 10.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/47497979

I like it!

• KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    I do always like new rewards other than just "Win race". It makes for some side-math-y stuff like "Well, we won't pass this person, but we can burn the fuck out of a lap and hopefully finish in a position where we don't lose any more places and at least close the gap by one point" or something like that.

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    In case you missed the link in the article I posted above, here is an interesting story on where F1 is going in a few years.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/47422390

Khavall wrote: »
    I do always like new rewards other than just "Win race". It makes for some side-math-y stuff like "Well, we won't pass this person, but we can burn the fuck out of a lap and hopefully finish in a position where we don't lose any more places and at least close the gap by one point" or something like that.

One I used to like was a couple of points systems (and several decades) ago, when a win got you nine points, second got you six, and third got you four. So a team prioritising one driver might get the win, but the team that prioritised both drivers or even just reliability (a much bigger weakness back then), even if they didn't win, would outscore the winner. Consistency, reliability and teamwork were rewarded, especially in the constructor's championship.

That then changed when a win got bumped up to ten points, making it worth the same as a second and third put together. Never was as keen on that.

And despite my raised eyebrow when it changed to the 25 points for a win we have now (which overnight rendered all "points scored in a year/career" stats meaningless), at least second and third outscores a win again, and even by a fractionally better margin, comparatively.

I think the extra point for fastest lap is long overdue, it's been suggested for long enough.

Certainly a better idea than double points for the last race of the season. (Which no-one ever seemed to point out was also on a track where it was very difficult to overtake, certainly to make it stick.) At least it made no difference in the end...

edited March 2019
    oldmanken wrote: »
    In case you missed the link in the article I posted above, here is an interesting story on where F1 is going in a few years.

Sounds nice, but it seems to be considering no "offensive aerodynamics" to try and keep the status quo.

We might need to consider a standardized rear wing in the future.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »

One I used to like was a couple of points systems (and several decades) ago, when a win got you nine points, second got you six, and third got you four. So a team prioritising one driver might get the win, but the team that prioritised both drivers or even just reliability (a much bigger weakness back then), even if they didn't win, would outscore the winner. Consistency, reliability and teamwork were rewarded, especially in the constructor's championship.

That then changed when a win got bumped up to ten points, making it worth the same as a second and third put together. Never was as keen on that.

And despite my raised eyebrow when it changed to the 25 points for a win we have now (which overnight rendered all "points scored in a year/career" stats meaningless), at least second and third outscores a win again, and even by a fractionally better margin, comparatively.

I think the extra point for fastest lap is long overdue, it's been suggested for long enough.

Certainly a better idea than double points for the last race of the season. (Which no-one ever seemed to point out was also on a track where it was very difficult to overtake, certainly to make it stick.) At least it made no difference in the end...

I am still standing firm on the hill that grid place penalties for mechanical changes (eg gearbox replacement, fuel/tyre fuckery etc) should be replaced by (or supplemented with) Constructors point penalties, mostly for this reason.

7qmGNt5.png
    (which overnight rendered all "points scored in a year/career" stats meaningless)

Has anyone looked at the records and assigned the old drivers points using the current point system?

Veevee wrote: »
    (which overnight rendered all "points scored in a year/career" stats meaningless)

Has anyone looked at the records and assigned the old drivers points using the current point system?

If I had any free time, I could whip this up in a spreadsheet. But alas I have too many screaming children.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

Sounds nice, but it seems to be considering no "offensive aerodynamics" to try and keep the status quo.

I think there should be standardised front and rear wings for all teams, and set maximum limits for total downforce.

And it should be a fraction of what it currently is.

edited March 2019
    Drovek wrote: »

I think there should be standardised front and rear wings for all teams, and set maximum limits for total downforce.

And it should be a fraction of what it currently is.

To do that FIA would have to accept the fact that the cars will not be as fast as the previous years cars, and I don't think they want to accept that. There is a huge push to make the cars faster every single year, but I think they've already hit maximum mechanical grip leaving downforce as the only option.

I don't think the problem is "dirty" air so much as there is just less air available for the trailing car. What I think needs to happen is mandate that all aerodynamic parts direct air flow towards the center of the car instead of away from the car, and that a certain percentage of air must travel under the rear wing.

Edit: Here's a little video by Mercedes talking about the aero change, comparing this years car vs last years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsFjDou_4qk

Veevee on
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Remove downforce and let them have active suspensions again?

First episode of that Netflix thing was pretty good, it's definitely more of an explainer of what f1 is rather than anything more at this point though. Still, it's nice to see embedded stuff and it should build on things the series progresses I hope.

7qmGNt5.png
    edited March 2019
    Veevee wrote: »

If I had any free time, I could whip this up in a spreadsheet. But alas I have too many screaming children.

Luckily it's already been done!
    https://formula1.markwessel.com/season

Pick your season, pick your points system.

Edit, also what you are asking for (all-time points comparison) is here:
    https://formula1.markwessel.com/alltime

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
    First race for Indy is today. The Grand Prix of St Petersburg 1:30pm eastern (about 4 hours from now) on NBCSN.

Tune in, it's usually a great race.

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Formula E in Hong Kong was a bit of a nail biter at the end, with a surprise twist after the race.
    Lotterer got done dirty, Sam Bird punctured his tire near the end and went on to win. But then got a 5 second penalty, which bumped Mortara to first place

Those were some ridiculously narrow turns at Hong Kong and the amount of contact was pretty noticable.

F1 2018 is free to play on Steam for the next couple of days, and 75% off until next week. Good time to take a look!

This discussion has been closed.