As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kingdom Death: Monster - Super models struggle to survive the (NSFW) grimdark

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Test: Decoration ⇨ Success

Elodie's expert direction and prop placement results in a play real enough to inspire, but not real enough to maim. Freya stomps away shaking her head at these young whippersnappers and their new "surviving through a settlement year ideas". Still everyone is inspired and more importantly alive.

Seriously...I'm logging into Rotten Organ reviews and putting this at zero % right now.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    if we don't get amonia, there is no point in doing the leather worker yet. waiting for @MrBody to give us our four innovation cards to choose from.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    I think it's safe to say we'll want to innovate. Anyone opposed before we do that? From there we'll be able to plan the rest of our turn.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Oh yes. We need to innovate, that's non negotiable.

I'm also looking back at year 2 and trying to see if we had anything leftover besides a lantern scrap.
    MrBody wrote: »
    Total resources gained
    91z1qm2zck9l.jpg
    BEN EDIT: We have 1 lantern scrap as well.

Quoting this again for TOTP.

With innovate, we chose the generics.

Monster bone and hide.
    Here is the tricky part. Organs...
    Do you all want another cat eye circlet, or a shot at the leather shield?

I'll say personally, I want to get Khrom shield spec'd as an alternative tank to Badrolls. Plus, shield spec/mastery is really good.

But I have to realize, that we dont have ammonia at this moment, nor probably the hides needed for making a shield this year... Or next year... I know, hindsight 20/20 but at the time, symposium was the better call, and it should alleviate another chance this and next year for ammonia.

Plus if we get ammonia, I know you all want sickles and pickaxes, (totally needed) and that throws my argument for another crafting site out the window this year.

So tldr, do you all want to spend the cat eye or the ??? for the required organ?

I say spend ???

Welcome to me trying to think this all out as I type it...

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    I thought we might have had one organ. (and the scrap, which we have no way to use right now).

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Yep. I looked back through the last discussions.

What we have is what is posted plus a lantern scrap.

We were wondering what to do about lion testes and ???. We made the frenzy potion and grease with them.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    yeah use the ??? for the generic organ. (and generic hide, and generic bone) for the innovate.

There shouldn't be a question if we are going to innovate, that has to happen.
    a second cats eye isnt really necessary right now.

• Options
    We'll see what the innovation is, but a second katar seems pretty sweet though!

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    azith28 wrote: »

Elodie's expert direction and prop placement results in a play real enough to inspire, but not real enough to maim. Freya stomps away shaking her head at these young whippersnappers and their new "surviving through a settlement year ideas". Still everyone is inspired and more importantly alive.

Seriously...I'm logging into Rotten Organ reviews and putting this at zero % right now.

You came expecting a Saw franchise entry, and left feeling like you watched Beauty and the Beast?

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options

You came expecting a Saw franchise entry, and left feeling like you watched Beauty and the Beast?

I should have realized...it was rated G.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Just got back. Gotta go right to sleep for an 8am interview 30 miles away tomorrow. Will update when I get back around noon.

• Options
    Good luck

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Is there any reason to keep the cat eye?
    Do we want two bracelets?

• Options
    I say the cat eye is fair game as an organ, but don't want to make any plans until we see the innovate options.

• Options
    Well, if we use the ??? as an organ to innovate, then we can't use three bone for the weapon smith and another cat claw for a second katar.
    Weapon smith sounds good if it can get BadRolls to 3 courage (he's at 2 at the moment)

• Options
    I'm not so sure a second katar should be on the priority list right now, but either way i think we may be short resources to do a lot and have to reconsider, so i agree, lets use the cat eye instead of the ??? to give us a little more flexability.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Resource List tracking:
    (from storage)
    broken lantern (scrap)
    (from hunt)
    (organ)Eye of Cat
    (hide)White fur
    (hide)Curious hand
    (hide) Monster Hide
    (hide) Monster Hide
    (bone)Lion Claw
    (bone) Lion Claw
    (bone) Skull
    (bone) Monster Bone
    (Wildcard) ???

Cyclops Fly vermin.

Used: Eye of Cat, Monster Hide, Monster Bone. for Innovation.

azith28 on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I'm open to either ??? Or cat eye as organ. I was originally under the assumption we wanted a second cat eye circlet

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    having a backup amulet isnt a completely useless thing but i don't think we can afford to dump resources into backup equipment just yet.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Good luck

Bleh! Nuts to that place. One of those businesses that prides itself on "great work culture experience" but is more like a controlling cult.

Anyway, update commencing.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Spending bone, hide, Cat eye, 1 endeavor

myy04bohkvi0.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Ammonia's pretty good (presumably leather worker upgrades, pick, scythe, whip. ), so better stuff.
    Drum's pretty good, the survival ability is nice and Rawhide drums are good against intimidate (although being courageous also defends against intimidate, as does insanity sorta)
    Nightmare training is good if we have the survival limit and can get permanent upgrades to our villagers.
    Pretty sure we just let damaged villagers die though, so don't think we need beds.. unless there's an intimacy effect.

Edit: Bed gives +1 Strength to newborns on a 7 or 8 on the intimacy roll.
    Still pretty bad, as we have no way of triggering intimacy at the moment.

I sort of want the weapon smith so we can get a match maker to trigger intimacies if that's a thing it does.
    If so, we won't be able to build a lot of tech from ammonia immediately

discrider on
  • Options
    So question about the nightmare training- do all villagers have survival, or just departing ones?

Cause if the villagers thar aren’t leaving have survival then that’s pretty amazing- we can get lots of bonuses with a high enough survival limit...or am I missing something?

• Options
    edited March 2019
    El Skid wrote: »
    So question about the nightmare training- do all villagers have survival, or just departing ones?

Cause if the villagers thar aren’t leaving have survival then that’s pretty amazing- we can get lots of bonuses with a high enough survival limit...or am I missing something?

I think most of our survival comes from "Departing survivors gain survival", so you have to go fight, come back with enough survival left in the tank already, and then train.

The 7 or 8 result for intimacy also grants like +10 survival to the parents to I think.

discrider on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    You get one for first being named. After that it needs to come from gear/events/depart bonuses so usually only happens to people who've been on a hunt.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    While Valen’s fatalism is tempted by Nightmare Training, I think Ammonia is probably a better bet.

• Options
    humm. all decent....but heres the thing. currently rawhide armor is generally 1 armor per location. Upgrading to leather armor next moves that up to 3 armor per piece, and the shield and whip become available.

Currently we have only been fighting white lions, and thats fine. the lions resource deck is weighted a bit to give more hide than bone/organ anyway, even if we have not really seen that yet.

Ammonia lets us skip an armor level, and opens tech further. i like bed as well, but Ammonia has to be the priority.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Can’t we get ammonia for free if we keep going for lions?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Resource List tracking:
    (from storage)
    broken lantern (scrap)
    (from hunt)
    (organ)Eye of Cat
    (hide)White fur
    (hide)Curious hand
    (hide) Monster Hide
    (hide) Monster Hide
    (bone)Lion Claw
    (bone) Lion Claw
    (bone) Skull
    (bone) Monster Bone
    (Wildcard) ???

Cyclops Fly vermin.

alright doing a little theory proposal here.
    if we build the leather worker we will be down to:

(bone) lion claw
    (bone) lion claw
    (bone) skull
    (scrap) broken lantern
    and thats all. we wont be able to make anything except some bone weapons. (Having used white fur, curious hand, monster hide and ??? to build the leather worker)

Alternatively if we built the weapon crafter we would likewise be down to only
    white fur (hide)
    curious hide (hide)
    ???

likewise, this does not leave us with enough resources to build anything available from the weapon crafter.

I think the leather worker will be better for us to go for at this time. we have enough weapons to fight right now after all.

now after we build, we should augury. maybe more than once depending on the result. and im stealing the insanity point from the skull before we end up using it if nobody has any objections.

it kinda sucks that nothing really gets made but i think we have to do it.

• Options
    Can’t we get ammonia for free if we keep going for lions?

the roll that gave us that option is from the lion specific hunt events...while its not impossible to get, its a random draw, and i would not want to rely on getting it that way.

• Options
    Resource List tracking:
    (from storage)
    broken lantern (scrap)
    (from hunt)
    (organ)Eye of Cat
    (hide)White fur
    (hide)Curious hand
    (hide) Monster Hide
    (hide) Monster Hide
    (bone)Lion Claw
    (bone) Lion Claw
    (bone) Skull
    (bone) Monster Bone
    (Wildcard) ???

Cyclops Fly vermin.

alright doing a little theory proposal here.
    if we build the leather worker we will be down to:

(bone) lion claw
    (bone) lion claw
    (bone) skull
    (scrap) broken lantern
    and thats all. we wont be able to make anything except some bone weapons. (Having used white fur, curious hand, monster hide and ??? to build the leather worker)

Alternatively if we built the weapon crafter we would likewise be down to only
    white fur (hide)
    curious hide (hide)
    ???

likewise, this does not leave us with enough resources to build anything available from the weapon crafter.

I think the leather worker will be better for us to go for at this time. we have enough weapons to fight right now after all.

now after we build, we should augury. maybe more than once depending on the result. and im stealing the insanity point from the skull before we end up using it if nobody has any objections.

it kinda sucks that nothing really gets made but i think we have to do it.

If the weapon smith is built, then we could still craft a second katar for the x2 speed bonus if we use the ??? for bone for the smith and reserve a cat claw for the katar.

Similarly, you can turn the skull into a skull helm if we go the leather worker.

I think I'm leaning more towards the weapon smith.
    But if we have ammonia, then I'm happy going the leather worker too.

• Options
    The ammonia from the lion hunt also required someone to have something like 3-5 understanding in order to learn it.

I'll vote ammonia.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    the thing about the weapon smith is that most of the stuff it makes we cant make until we get heat.

0 Counterweighted Axe 2 6 4 weapon,melee,axe,2H. Reach 2. 0.5-aff-red = on a perfect hit, do not draw a hit location (monster suffers 1 wound).
    Weapon Crafter 1x bone, 1x hide, 1x organ

1 Finger of God 2 5 5 weapon,melee,spear,2H. Reach 2. 1-aff-green/1-aff-blue/1-aff-red = if you have +5 survival then gain +1 accuracy and +1 strength.
    Weapon Crafter 1x phoenix finger, 4x bone

2 Manacles 2 8 0 uses whip profiency. Note that manacles cause no wounds. On a successful wound roll, they lower a monster's movement by 3 (for each successful wound roll). Use Whip Proficiency number for the Strength rather than 0. If a survivor carries manacles during an event where another survivor would leave the group or settlement, roll an attack. On success, they are prevented from leaving.
    Weapon Crafter 2x iron, 1x lion tail

3 Rainbow Katana 4 4 4 katana,finesse,2H. Frail. 0.5-aff-red/1-aff-green/1-aff-blue = gains Deadly.
    Weapon Crafter heat, 1x phoenix beak, 1x rainbow droppings, 1x iron, 6x bone

4 Scrap Dagger 3 7 2 dagger,metal. On a perfect hit, gain +2 strength for the rest of the attack.
    Weapon Crafter heat, 1x bone, 1x scrap

5 Scrap Sword 2 5 3 sword,metal. On a perfect hit gain +4 strength for the rest of the attack. 2x 1-aff-red/1-aff-blue = gains Deadly.
    Weapon Crafter heat, 2x bone, 1x scrap

6 Skullcap Hammer 2 7 3 club,bone. On a perfect hit, monster is dazed and gains -1 speed token until end of its turn. Max -1/round.
    Weapon Crafter 2x bone, 1x scrap

7 Whistling Mace 3 6 3 club,bone. On perfect hit, reveal next AI card. Place it on top or bottom of AI deck. Unwieldy: if any attack rolls are 1, you hit your self and suffer 1 damage.
    Weapon Crafter 2x bone, 1x organ

8 Zanbato 1 6 6 grand,2H,bone. Slow, Frail, Deadly (+1 luck). 0.5-aff-red/1-aff-green = Gaints Devastating 1: whenever you wound, inflict 1 additional wound.
    Weapon Crafter 1x great cat bone, 2x hide

Everything italizied would be uncraftable for at least several lantern years. while i wouldnt mind going for a counterweight axe for whoever specializes in axes, the zanbato, is still frail equipment, which is bad for future monsters (dense locations). the mace isnt bad, but the specialization isnt the best.

Since its use is further in the future, id rather not build the weapon crafter just yet.

as far as the katar, how bout we save the lions claw component and after the next hunt we promise to make the katar (only need one hide at that point). i think from the last hunt that we can deal with another level one lion pretty well with what we have, and i definately will want to replace any bone weapons next settlement, so getting the katar this year isnt a vital thing.

azith28 on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Dude...this is like the sixth time I've asked you not to post spoiler stuff ahead, and this one immediately after saying I wanted to keep the weapon crafter and other building a surprise. You can only be surprised your first playthrough. You can min/max everything you want on any subsequent playthrough.

The friday night campaign is open to anyone with no restrictions if you would rather play that one instead.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Dude... you are adding an unnecessary level of difficulty into an already super difficult game if you will not let us look at the boards of what we are building before we choose to build them. Planning the settlement out is VITAL to success in this game. Several people playing have obviously played before or are familiar with at least the early/mid bits, its impossible for us to completely ignore what we know. I'm not spoiling STORY or Events. You want me to quit, fine, but this game has more than enough instances of walking your character into death blindly and unpreventably that to keep it interesting and fun you have to feel your in control of something. thats what the settlement phase is for. I've always played settlement planning this way.

• Options
    Looking at the weapon smith, the Endeavour on it is no sure thing.
    Probably better to get the leather worker (after ammonia), or just build pickaxes and scythes for resources.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    discrider wrote: »
    Looking at the weapon smith, the Endeavour on it is no sure thing.
    Probably better to get the leather worker (after ammonia), or just build pickaxes and scythes for resources.

trying to operate under MrBody's rules, i'm voting ammonia. The immediate benefits are scythes and pickaxes which also affect our hunts to gather more resources. It also leads us to tech to use scrap.
    nightmare training is a no go at the moment. we only have a limit of 4 survival, and so it requires someone to have not spent survival at all on a hunt or risk death (par for the course atm)
    beds are nice, but we can't benefit from it just yet with our 'wounded' surivors. It does benefit babies, but we can't reliable make them yet to begin with.
    drums, a good case, immediately useful in making a rawhide drum and for potential cures for disorders, but to me, ammonia outweighs it.

I am aware that we might not be able to craft some gear if we go for a crafting station this time around... that's the point. we are trying to open up our gear options for next year.
    we wanted to make babies, the weapon crafter is the *only* option available to us at this point for settlement courage proc'ing.

Lions are what are on the menu for the time being. We did very well against the last lion, and I think we can make that happen again this year.
    Until we can dash, antelopes are a no go for me, even with having scythes, and there are parts that I *really* want from the antelope, but we have no ability to process them yet beyond turning it all into basic gear.

My proposal for weaponcrafter means we can start making better weapons, which are much much better at confirming wounds, and start farming scrap as well as an alternate source for armor. hide is incredibly scarce for the amount we need to outfit hunters. farming up scrap can help alleviate that.
    weaponcrafter also gives a chance for settlement courage which ties into babies...

none of this is set in stone guarantee'd for making babies or what not. but its what's available right now, and can help springboard for better stuff next year.

Too bad for BadRolls, but we do have the frenzy potion, which we can give to a newbie hunter. Khrom is set for mental toughness for a while. We can have other new hunters gain insanity from the frenzy pot.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    I know that some people are looking at the building upgrades, and seeing that we can't immediately use them, because of the material requirements. That is correct.

But look at how many resources we usually get. About 8 to 10. And not guaranteed to completely draw bone or hide or organ, along with needing the trifecta for innovations. We build now to benefit next year.

We are going to need good weapons next year, more so than armor.

I also recommend we hold off on spending many hides too, beyond just a scythe, and maybe bandages. We really need someone equiped with bandages.

You have not seen a bleed effect spiral from combo claw and/or bloody claw and/or vicious claw, which can kill a hunter in two turns regardless of armor.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Okay so we all agree ammonia?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    yep, get ammonia

a4irovn5uqjp.png