As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Conan Exiles: Penny Arcade Server Now Online

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I jumped back into this pretty hard over Christmas vacation. I'm just playing on an official PVP server. It's one I had played on previously so I already had a character around level 25 on there. Better than starting over completely, but I still had to start my base over.

Anyway, I noticed a couple pretty significant changes since the last time I had played.

1) Using the carpenter's bench to make shaped wood now produces bark as a byproduct. It seems that you get 1 bark per 10 wood spent. @Tube You will appreciate this change since I know you hate bark.
    2) They nerfed the hell out of the ease-of-obtaining Set arrows. They were moved from the carpenters bench to the Set alter (which makes sense.) What sucks is that they now also cost a token of zeal for each stack of 10 arrows you make. This makes the cost of these arrows insanely pricey compared to before.

I mean, in all fairness that nerf was justified. Set arrows were too good for how easy they were to obtain. But now they're so expensive they're almost not worth making. You gotta farm a whole lot of human hearts to make antidotes to get zeal tokens to get arrows. And since all the religion items are mutually exclusive with each other, that means you aren't farming Soul Essence for Ambrosia, or anything else.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I also jumped back into this over the weekend... looks like they made throwing axes less shitty. I guess they stack now, and are recoverable. Could be fun to make an axe-thrower...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular
    yea, the recent update changed a lot about archery, and added some quality of life fixes. The next update (in test now) will have even more big changes. Purge mechanics and such. Looking forward to it.

3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
    edited January 2019
    Yeah, I've still never seen a purge.

Fun anecdote. As I said above, I'm playing on an Official server. Standard rules. And even on official server, the Purge is buggy as hell. I filled my purge meter about 1/3 of the first bar while I was building my base. And I never logged out and it reset while I was playing. Lost all my purge progress without even logging. It just vanished. Logged back on the next day, built a bunch more stuff and my purge meter stayed at 0 the entire time.

Lucascraft on
    I also jumped back into this over the weekend... looks like they made throwing axes less shitty. I guess they stack now, and are recoverable. Could be fun to make an axe-thrower...

I've never once even used a throwing axe or javelin.

But I did notice that bow mechanics are improved. Right Click zooms you in a bit and lets you hold your shot for a while. It gets wobbly and unsteady the more you hold it, but I'm assuming as you improve your Accuracy trait that wobbliness will decrease. While holding your draw with Right Click, you fire with Left Click. This new system works way better than the old way they did it. The added zoom makes a big difference.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    The javelin was nice for its comparable damage to iron weapons without using iron, but far too easy to chuck away and lose. Its moveset was also nice if friendly fire was on since it was mostly thrusting animations. Otherwise yeah, no real reason to use the javelin.

Nice to hear the game continues to improve.

Anyone here have any experience with building a gazebo-like structure in Conan?

I'm trying to prototype out a gazebo using the Khitan tile set, to make like this cool Chinese looking outdoor garden gazebo. I plan to put my well in the middle of it. I will decorate it with benches and fun lights and stuff. The part I'm struggling with is the roof. Just wondering if anyone has any tips for building a round gazebo to place a well in.

Any of y'all try the Midnight Grove dungeon or learn the Jhebbal Sag religion?

I have done some online searches and can't really seem to find any good info on it. What level is the dungeon?

• The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    This might help with the floor, https://i.imgur.com/FLwEonM.jpg from there a roof should be easy enough.

The Deliverator on
    edited March 2019
    Pretty big new patch today, Conan fans.

Patch Highlights:
    • Clan Members show up on the minimap now
    • Increased XP gains from crafting and killing
    • New VOIP chat stuff
    • Purge improvements (the purge should maybe actually spawn now)
    • New Purges
    • Unnamed City overhaul, new enemies to fight there, more bosses, and this is now a perpetual adventure area instead of a place you go once and forget about
    • Fragments of Power - a new looted item from elites in the Unnamed city that grants your character more Feat points (to learn recipes)(a level 60 can now theoretically learn every recipe in the game if they grind enough fragments)
    • Animals can now spawn as elite versions of themselves, which drop demon blood and more standard mats when killed

Full Patch Notes

Lucascraft on
    Big patch, yay! Finally! Archer AI fix!

Bonus: it doesn't appear to have broken any of my mods (or vice-versa). Everything seems good on my server. I have a number of mods that will definitely need updates, but at least things are functional.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    Liking the new Patch. Didn't screw up my server either.

Yeah, this new patch so far feels really stable and made a lot of great changes. I played a fair amount this weekend.

A few bugs...

For some reason, I can't craft the improved carpenter's bench or the new dismantling bench. I have the feats. I have the mats. Whenever I click to try to build one I get "Cannot begin crafting item" instead.

I hunted down the new black yeti world boss last night. I solo'd him without ever taking a point of damage, because he just stood there. Literally never attacked me once. #Anticlimax

The archer thralls will now shoot arrows and follow you properly. Yay! But, they will happily blow through 2 full stacks of star metal arrows shooting them point blank into walls or firing at imaginary enemies in some distant land. So, they still suck.

Otherwise, yeah, things are good. Stable, relatively functional, etc.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    This patch is getting me back into building my Evil Fortress For The Benign Preservation of Yoggist Culture.

I approve of this patch, except where it's broke to hell and being weird... like so much else of what Funcom does.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    Haven't played since shortly after the paid release (beta?). Been seeing it come up a lot on steam though. Are a lot of you still active? I might hop on the server today. Tryna game more, booze less. ;)

Yall wrote: »
    Haven't played since shortly after the paid release (beta?). Been seeing it come up a lot on steam though. Are a lot of you still active? I might hop on the server today. Tryna game more, booze less. ;)

I'm not sure the server we had is still going.

Back when I tried it the direct connect coop seemed to work pretty well though you were limited in how far away you could go from the host.

Still, I found it a fun survival game with an actual ending, definitely check it out on this free weekend.

I believe the main server is no longer running. A couple of us have private servers running though.

• YallYall Registered User regular
    BitTWist wrote: »
    I believe the main server is no longer running. A couple of us have private servers running though.

Anyone looking for more players, feel free to PM me the details.

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    So you guys playing in any particular server?

I seem to have already gotten the hang of a few things, but I guess getting together with people would be the next logical step. Not sure if to continue in my current server (one of the official ones) or just jump into another with some classy gents.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I just had a thought...
    Anyone know if it is possible to cut-off learning recipes? I wonder if it would be fun (at all) to only be able to craft some pretty basic items, and have to salvage anything more advanced.

You would probably need a mod for that. I do not think the base game allows for you to cap or disable the progression system.

If you plan on doing something like that you would probably also need a mod to adjust some of the game balance to account for your reduced recipe cap.

A group of work friends picked this game up over the weekend after the "Free Play Weekend." We've been having a fun time on my private server. I don't know how long any of them will stick with it, but right now a couple of them are pretty hardcore into it.

One guy has already logged like 40 hours on it since Thursday night or Friday or whenever the free play started.

Wow.

I learned something new this weekend, based on a question that one of my friends asked while we were playing.

One of my friends asked if you can equip a truncheon on a fighter thrall and use them to help you knock out other thralls. I did not know the answer, as I had never thought to try that.

So I tried it. It works. So we loaded up one of our level 4 named fighters with a Steel truncheon, and took her onto the pirate ship and watched as she laid wasted to all in her path, leaving none conscious. It was glorious.

Lucascraft wrote: »
    Wow.

I learned something new this weekend, based on a question that one of my friends asked while we were playing.

One of my friends asked if you can equip a truncheon on a fighter thrall and use them to help you knock out other thralls. I did not know the answer, as I had never thought to try that.

So I tried it. It works. So we loaded up one of our level 4 named fighters with a Steel truncheon, and took her onto the pirate ship and watched as she laid wasted to all in her path, leaving none conscious. It was glorious.

Well, hot damn.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    I started a new game last night. There's this one exile camp across the river near the broken bridge that usually gets eaten by three crocodiles but for some reason there were a dozen or more crocs hanging out there this time. No idea what that was about. I managed to kill them all but I didn't get much for it because no skinning knife yet.

I keep thinking they ought to do more with the starter area. They can't make the map any bigger apparently so you have that big desert area to the south and the river area but there's not much there and no reason to stick around very long. Seems like a waste. They could add copper and tin as resources around the river and add a copper/bronze tier of items. There's a bunch of areas that could use another resource pass(the jungle especially).

Part of the problem is that you have a weirdly linear progression from the desert to the frozen north (didn't play with any DLCs so not sure how those are slotted in), and your quest to build better goods forces you to keep going.

Which yeah it's too bad since there isn't much point in building a huge base until you have access to iron or are in the north. But yes this limits how much you really want to build early on or in a particular setting.

Part of the problem is the multiplayer aspect could have caused this decision to only allow basics near the starting river, thus pushing more advanced players towards the jungle/highlands/high desert areas where iron is found thus clearing the river for newbies.

I still remember fondly thinking I could get a trade system going in ARK, but that had mostly the opposite problem where all the resources could be found almost anywhere and you were better off just farming it yourself.

When I'm not adventuring, I'd love to come abodes to trade my goods from far away lands but alas that just does not seem to be a thing survival games I've played have gotten a handle on.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Part of the problem is that you have a weirdly linear progression from the desert to the frozen north (didn't play with any DLCs so not sure how those are slotted in), and your quest to build better goods forces you to keep going.

Which yeah it's too bad since there isn't much point in building a huge base until you have access to iron or are in the north. But yes this limits how much you really want to build early on or in a particular setting.

That's probably my biggest complaint about Conan Exiles. I much prefer ARK's way of doing the map. Zones of a certain level just seems so antiquated, and I don't like that I have to spend time tooling around the desert before I can reasonably move to the highlands. I still usually rush to the highlands and just avoid mobs like the plague until I've leveled up enough from farming and crafting. I like how with ARK you can typically just decide where you want to have a base, go there, and get started. Some areas are more dangerous than others, sure, but it feels less gated in ARK.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Its a double edged sword either way.

It was annoying a bit in Ark to just get smashed by a trex or something 5 mins in, and in exiles you get that sandbox to not be threatened, but then on the other hand you go out, build a base on the river, 10 hours in the game you have to abandon it, so you move north, then you move north again, etc, and eventually you just have all these unused buildings lying around, or they decay or whatever.

Jealous Deva on
    I have always assumed that the map/progression system of Conan was designed with PVP in mind, and over time the game has shifted away from PVP focus and seems to be much more about adventuring and PVE.

But if you think about it from a PVP viewpoint, it makes a lot of sense. They try to bottleneck players into the highest resource areas, thus driving conflict. They designed the map to be a warzone for resources, but the community doesn't seem super interested in that.

I had to go back and clear out all my old buildings that I constructed on my march north because the purge kept spawning on my first river base. Purge never wants to spawn at my base with lvl 4 archers.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I have always assumed that the map/progression system of Conan was designed with PVP in mind, and over time the game has shifted away from PVP focus and seems to be much more about adventuring and PVE.

But if you think about it from a PVP viewpoint, it makes a lot of sense. They try to bottleneck players into the highest resource areas, thus driving conflict. They designed the map to be a warzone for resources, but the community doesn't seem super interested in that.

I have always suspected the pvp appeal in these kinds of games was overestimated and what people really want is to just build big buildings and cool stuff, with a side of exploration and resource hunting. Like fallout 4’s settlement system with less limitations and other people.

Which is why I was baffled by FO 76, but that is another thread.

Jealous Deva on
    BitTWist wrote: »
    I had to go back and clear out all my old buildings that I constructed on my march north because the purge kept spawning on my first river base. Purge never wants to spawn at my base with lvl 4 archers.

I saw my first purge ever! Never got one to spawn until the patch that turned the purge bar purple.

But our first purge attacked our first base. It was a Starved Exiles purge. Then we got another purge a few days later and again, same base, same purge. It's a small sample size, only 2 purges so far, but so far they have both landed at the same point, even though when the second purge happened we have a much more advanced base over by the pirate ship, which I would assume should spawn a Black Hand purge.

I'm wondering if maybe they don't use some sort of underlying heatmap to throw the purge at the biggest base by size. Our old abandoned starter base is larger just by nature of all the crap we built there, even if it's lower level and not as developed. It probably covers a bigger surface area. Our new, better base is more efficiently built and is fairly compact.

I just turned purges off on my server. They where more frustrating then fun after awhile.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I can't think of a survival game that does this off the top of my head (so there absolutely could be one that does), but I've long liked the idea of certain key resources being located in certain zones.

Like X resource is only found in the Jungle, Y resource in the Desert, Z resource in the Highlands, etc etc. 90% of resources would be found everywhere, it'd just be certain ingredients you'd have to go on expeditions for.

I like that idea because I'm simultaneously not a fan of the ARK approach of everything you could ever want being within a few feet of you and all the best stuff is located in one zone approach of Conan.

Now granted, on PvP servers I could see this being really griefed all to hell. Hell, I could see it being griefed on public PvE servers too. But I don't play on any of those so, eh.

Actually I wonder if maybe there is a mod that does this.

fake edit- Does not appear to be. Though there are mods that add the fancy resources to everywhere else. Which I guess is nice. I'll probably use it in the future.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    I've set some strict rules on them on my server with my friends.
    1) There has to be a minimum of 3 people online for a purge to trigger
    2) Time restrictions so that purges only happen in the evenings when we're all home from work and available for play, and on weekends they don't start till noon.

On a side note:
    It seems that getting bark as a byproduct of creating shaped wood has been patched out with the latest update. I've noticed that hasn't been happening anymore.

I've set some strict rules on them on my server with my friends.
    1) There has to be a minimum of 3 people online for a purge to trigger
    2) Time restrictions so that purges only happen in the evenings when we're all home from work and available for play, and on weekends they don't start till noon.

On a side note:
    It seems that getting bark as a byproduct of creating shaped wood has been patched out with the latest update. I've noticed that hasn't been happening anymore.

Yeah, they removed that and put bark as a thing you can get with the advanced carpentry station.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Karoz wrote: »

Part of the problem is the multiplayer aspect could have caused this decision to only allow basics near the starting river, thus pushing more advanced players towards the jungle/highlands/high desert areas where iron is found thus clearing the river for newbies.

I've always assumed pvp was the main driving force behind a lot of the design decisions, especially resource placement. The map seems designed to funnel players towards certain areas especially when you factor in the need for access to npc thralls(or brimstone).

I'm still not sure how the jungle zone fits into progression at all. It seems like a half finished side grade that exists simply to house a dungeon or two. I hope they get around to filling in some of the empty spots because it has some interesting locations for base building. I've thought about building a base just offshore. I wonder how the purge would work with that. I don't suppose it would spawn sea monsters to attack the base.

Edit: Oh hey speaking of resources did they add some iron along the newbie river at some point? I don't think any of my mods did that(none are designed to add resources) but there's iron there where there didn't used to be and it doesn't show up on any of the resource maps online(need to find an updated one).

Poketpixie on
    edited March 2019
    I hit level 60 last night on my latest character / build. Started over with the group of friends I'm playing with.

I'm wanting to give the Fragment of Power thing a try. Any of you have any experience with this? All I know is that I need to farm something in the Unnamed City, which drops Fragments of Power. Then my understanding is that they need to be turned in somewhere. And when you do that, you earn extra feat points to unlock extra recipes. My understanding stops there, at basically no details of the specifics of it.

Edit: I found a good Youtube video on it:

Lucascraft on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    So I started playing this again (single-player) and wanted to mention a new mod I found that I've wanted since thralls, basically:

CharEditLite

This mod adds a new item, called the Magic Mirror, than you can use from your inventory. This brings up their own character editor, allowing you to edit your character. That's nice and all, but another function it has is you can create a "shard" of that character preset, which is another inventory item that basically acts like a character design template. You can use it in your inventory to bring up the transfer appearance menu. It has checkboxes for various things you can choose to apply, like Gender & Voice, Face, Skin Color, Eye Color, Hair, etc. So you could create different shards for different haircuts, or completely different characters, allowing you to swap appearances on the fly.

The best part of the mod is that you can also put the shard in a thrall/workstation inventory and use it there, and it will let you apply it to the thrall. You can even have an outfit in the preset for workstation thralls. It requires the item to put it in the preset slot, but it doesn't actually use the equipment piece. An example of a cool way to use these (just randomly picked out of the air, not something I totally did) is you can create a shard with max boob size and apply just the body settings to all of your thralls. You can also use it from a thrall's inventory and click "Capture" and it will overwrite the shard's preset with the settings of the current thrall. Then you can use it from your inventory, edit them completely (face shape, skin tone, everything), put it back and apply it to them, allowing you to completely customize a thrall. Or if you just want like a thrall uniform, put the clothing in a shard and only apply the outfit settings to each thrall.

Basically, I wanted the ability to customize thralls, including clothing of workstation thralls, and this does that and more. It will also even automatically add custom colors if you're using a mod that adds them. The only downside I've found is while you can customize the background color of each shard to help tell them apart, you can't edit text on them in anyway that I can see so I have to remember that "black is the craftsman clothing, pink is the naked clothing, and purple is the one with my appearance". That's only if you want to save presets for things, otherwise you can just have one shard that you edit as needed.