As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Roleplaying Games] Thank God I Finally Have A Table For Cannabis Potency.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Im interested to see where the final version ends up and how it fits in to the existing TTRPG landscape.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Pathfinder 2e coming August 1st.

Hype.
    I'm super excited to see how this creates an interesting new dynamic to Edition Wars.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

Hype.
    I'm super excited to see how this creates an interesting new dynamic to Edition Wars.

"Sir, the war has escalated! Now there are multiple fronts!"

• ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Hype.

"Sir, the war has escalated! Now there are multiple fronts!"
    It's basically Battlefront II.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    Genesys: Android book is quite nice. It's about what I expected. I really like the hacking rules and kinda wonder if I could ever get a hackers game going. In the vein of Watch Dogs 2.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Im interested to see where the final version ends up and how it fits in to the existing TTRPG landscape.

If you've followed the playtest, they've added 210 pages and completely rearranged everything. They had a whole bunch of wiggly little rules issues (like shields being mostly useless) that I hope they've ironed out, but we won't know until the book drops.

I only really got to interact in the playtest as a GM, and I had a blast. They've streamlined (and improved) monsters, diseases, poisons, and traps, and I'm cobbling together a social combat system from some older paizo products. You actually have tools to challenge players outside of throwing more monsters at them.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Genesys: Android book is quite nice. It's about what I expected. I really like the hacking rules and kinda wonder if I could ever get a hackers game going. In the vein of Watch Dogs 2.

Ooooh it's out? I'm super interested in a non-fantasy setting for Genesys.

If you've followed the playtest, they've added 210 pages and completely rearranged everything. They had a whole bunch of wiggly little rules issues (like shields being mostly useless) that I hope they've ironed out, but we won't know until the book drops.

I only really got to interact in the playtest as a GM, and I had a blast. They've streamlined (and improved) monsters, diseases, poisons, and traps, and I'm cobbling together a social combat system from some older paizo products. You actually have tools to challenge players outside of throwing more monsters at them.

Do you feel that based on whats in the playtest so far that it will be full featured with the core book, or does it feel like it's going to follow the same issue as P1 with splatbook bloat?

Do you feel that based on whats in the playtest so far that it will be full featured with the core book, or does it feel like it's going to follow the same issue as P1 with splatbook bloat?

I don't think P1 had an issue with the core book not being fully featured. I played in a level 1-18 game over two-three years with just core and ultimate combat/magic, and I had a blast. As for splatbook bloat? Yeah, it's a paizo product so they're going to release tons and tons of stuff. Starfinder has about as many books as 5e does, despite only being out for a little over year.

Good news is that quality has shot up ever since they let Jason Buhlman take the lead on a lot of books, and they've finally figured out how to make non-magical dudes fun to play without resorting to weeaboo fightan' magic.

There's a really good Mass Effect homebrew splat for Genesys if you're interested.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

Hype.

Guys this is our chance to scoop up all their disaffected has older players by making a new take on 3.5

Ahem

“Remember when Pathfinder wasn’t a dumbed down pen and paper MMO for mouth-breathing babies?

Return to the classic RPG experiences you love with our new take on old d20: twice the traps in chargen equals twice the fun!”

Then you paste the link to the Kickstarter and boom, we’ve bought out Paizo in a hostile takeover within a year

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    THAC0 is Wacko

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    THAC0 is Wacko
    Wacko is short for "What Attack Can Kill Others" and is a number from 10 to -20 (negative is better). You have to subtract a negative number (which represents armor and defense on your target).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Kadoken wrote: »
    THAC0 is Wacko
    Wacko is short for "What Attack Can Kill Others" and is a number from 10 to -20 (negative is better). You have to subtract a negative number (which represents armor and defense on your target).

I learned something today also what

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I mean, people bitch about Thac0, but at the time, it was remarkable because you no longer needed a big-ass table to figure out if your character can hit a target. It's a number right there on your character sheet. It's a concept that seems like a no-brainer now, but from the wargaming roots of RPGs, there was a long time when lookup tables were the norm for all combat.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I mean, people bitch about Thac0, but at the time, it was remarkable because you no longer needed a big-ass table to figure out if your character can hit a target. It's a number right there on your character sheet. It's a concept that seems like a no-brainer now, but from the wargaming roots of RPGs, there was a long time when lookup tables were the norm for all combat.

On the other hand, sometimes lookup tables can be more fun, such as in Arms Law.

desc wrote: »

Hype.

Guys this is our chance to scoop up all their disaffected has older players by making a new take on 3.5

Ahem

“Remember when Pathfinder wasn’t a dumbed down pen and paper MMO for mouth-breathing babies?

Return to the classic RPG experiences you love with our new take on old d20: twice the traps in chargen equals twice the fun!”

Then you paste the link to the Kickstarter and boom, we’ve bought out Paizo in a hostile takeover within a year
    Then you just commission a bunch of mid-tier art and slap it on the 3.5e SRD, and multi-million dollar publishing empire is yours.

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Why hasn’t anyone tried this before?!

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Is this a bit?

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Is this a bit?

no, this is a bit

0000175.jpg

rRwz9.gif
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular

For about a week now. Yup. It's pretty awesome.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    There's a really good Mass Effect homebrew splat for Genesys if you're interested.

This is my favorite post on the Citadel

(where where where)

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited March 2019
    Ringo wrote: »

This is my favorite post on the Citadel

(where where where)

Yes indeed! I require this.

Also I'm already planning a westmarches style persistent world set around Neo Vegas in the American Southwest for when all of my players can't make the regular genesys game. That way we can still keep fresh with the rules and play in a completely new setting.

webguy20 on

Hype.

Ahem

What's really funny about this is that PF2 is basically D&D 4.5.

Just picked up the Genesys:Android book. So excited!

Also don't look up "Neo Vegas" if you're trying to find futuristic art of Las Vegas. You end up with a screen full of Neo Nazis. Whoops.

Hype.

Ahem

What's really, really funny about this is that D&D 4.5 has been around for years. It's called 13th Age. (and it's amazing)

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

Hype.

...oh, of course, on the first day of GenCon.

...boy that's going to be a long line around the Paizo booth, isn't it?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular

Just picked up the Genesys:Android book. So excited!

Also don't look up "Neo Vegas" if you're trying to find futuristic art of Las Vegas. You end up with a screen full of Neo Nazis. Whoops.

I hesitate to ask why

Ardent wrote: »

Hype.

Ahem

What's really, really funny about this is that D&D 4.5 has been around for years. It's called 13th Age. (and it's amazing)

As much as I enjoyed 13th age, it's 6 years old and hasn't had much in the way of releases or interesting APs. Looking forward to a more steady release schedule.

I’ve never understood the hype about 13th age. I like the narrative elements of the icons and relative positioning in combat, but everything else about the system is clunky if not dull.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I’ve never understood the hype about 13th age. I like the narrative elements of the icons and relative positioning in combat, but everything else about the system is clunky if not dull.

It was intended to evoke feelings of D&D.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited March 2019

It was intended to evoke feelings of D&D.

Not to chuck a spear your way, but what does that even mean? D&D has so many meanings to so many people. Even the lead designers talk about how personal of an experience D&D is to them: For Jeremy Crawford, D&D is about Gothic Fantasy Horror and Romance, where more narrative mechanics (background, inspiration) should have a larger impact than ability scores and class features. For Chris Perkins the game is all about running dungeon modules with esoteric monsters, traps, and weird but powerful loot. For Gygax it was about codifying rules for sweet looking minis as they fought each in weird dungeon landscapes.

"Love Letter(s) to D&D" was practically the tag line for everything made between 2008 and 2016. Touchbearer, Dungeon World, Dungeon Crawl Classics, weird niche indie products like Lamentations of the Flame Princess; even D&D Next had evoking the feeling of classic D&D as a design goal, but clearly these games all run on different chassis. If you love 13th Age I'm not going to yuck your yum, but in my opinion the mechanics of the game are hit or miss (literally for the majority of them) with an incredible amount book-keeping. Sometimes games can take the best of two different design philosophies, but IMO 13th Age misses out on what made both 3rd edition and 4th edition incredibly memorable for their fans.

edit: in hindsight I am kinda yucking your yum if you like 13th Age. I ran it for 5 or 6 sessions right when it came out and my group had a lot of dissatisfaction with it. We swapped to 5e without a look behind us.

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I love 13th Age, but it doesn't quite scratch the same itch as 4e for me personally. It's a great way to play D&D in its own right but I don't feel as much scope to scheme and startegize in combat.

rRwz9.gif
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I love 13th Age, but it doesn't quite scratch the same itch as 4e for me personally. It's a great way to play D&D in its own right but I don't feel as much scope to scheme and startegize in combat.
    We're never going to see something like 4e again because Wizards pretends it was a sales failure and most people who've never actually played it just hear how boring it is.

• ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    Combat choices and builds are kind of a weakness, but I did think they got the classes to shine in their niches. I really like the skills for D&D-esque games.

edited March 2019
    So I'm working on my Genesys:Android game. The book doesn't really touch on anything but New Angeles in Ecuador, and I'm having my game set in Las Vegas and the surrounding desert so I'm playing up some calamities that have happened to the US 40 or 50 years before the setting of the game. There was the "big one" along the western seaboard and the "Valley" of California from just south of redding to the hills north of Los Angeles is now flooded, and is somewhat like the Mediterranean. Los Angeles and San Diego split off from the mainland and are now their own island, and are one of the Megacities on the West coast. San Francisco is another, along with Portland. Seattle was laid waste in the earthquake and recovered, but wasn't able to go MegaCity.

During the earthquake it triggered a minor eruption of the Yellowstone Caldera, and caused a bit of a long winter over a few years. Between this cooling and the introduction of Fusion global warming has halted for the time, but many areas are still ravaged by the sea level rise that did occur, and the extreme weather that still exists from all this.

Due to all this along with extreme military spending caused the US to fracture. The West coast split off into the Pacific Collective, Libertaria spring up from Nevada, eastern Oregon, some bits of eastern California, southern Utah, Colorado and New Mexico, becoming a Libertarian State where capitalism reigns over all. Texas finally succeeded and claimed Oklahoma and Kansas with it. The Rest of the US remained together. Northern Utah, Idaho and some of Montana became the Mormon Collective after the eruption caused the upswelling of a massive underwater supply into the great salt lake, making it into a large inland sea and massively increasing the fertility of the surrounding area. The Mormon's saw it as a sign of God's grace and are currently building a new Temple, a giant Arcology larger than any on earth currently. Due to their survivalist leanings it will be also one of the most heavily defended.

So anybody have any fun story things that they can think of? Vegas itself is going to be crazy, about 10 times it's current population but not really in a bigger geographical area and being completely un-regulated will be one of the premier gambling and gaming areas in the world. Area 51 will certainly be a thing and potentially might be some other "weirdness" out in the desert.

webguy20 on
    I love the cyberpunk genre. I'm not well versed in Android specifically, but I've got lots of ideas about what kinds of games I'd want to play in it. My go-to is always episodic mission-oriented games. This can be accomplished by a Shadowrun-esque group that works for various shady contractors, a military or para-military special forces team, or some other highly missionized group (maybe like a survey team or maintenance tiger team). Let the players make their characters independently (so that they each have their own secret past): you don't have to worry about aligning player goals because the team's goal is clearly laid out for them with each adventure.

Split each adventure into 2 phases: the mission planning phase and the execution phase. When you detail the adventure, make it location based and get detail oriented. I like to shorthand difficulty levels for various aspects: things like Security (level 1 = mall cop, level 2 = bank, level 3 = military installation, level 4 = James Bond Villain) and what those mean in gameplay terms. For example something that has level 1 security would have easy to pick physical locks that aren't linked to an alarm. A physical alarm system based on things like contact door and window alarm dongles. If there's a camera it's not actively monitored. If there's a guard there then they don't have any legal jurisdiction and are armed with non-lethal weapons and a frowny-face (if they're armed at all). Basically simple, obvious, isolated systems with no redundancy. Level 2 steps those up with potentially digital systems (things like electrical/magnetic locks and motion-activated alarms) with armed guards and back-up or off-site monitoring. At level 3 these systems are interconnected and redundant with lethal security that won't ask questions. At level 4 just make shit up; they're basically magic bullshit at that point where the PCs can't really overcome anything but can delay/stave off the inevitable for brief periods of time.

Missions are pretty simple and somewhat formulaic. Start with an overall objective: Infiltration (sneak in and plant/take something), Exfiltration (sneak in and retrieve something/rescue someone), Assassination, Protection, Survey (go somewhere, find out what's going on), rarely Demolition (which is pretty much just Infiltration, but with multiple things to do and higher stakes). Make the win condition and then build the rest of the adventure around that, filling in the details as required. You'll get a feel for what is important to your players and what kinds of puzzles they enjoy. To keep things from getting stale you should always have some sort of unpredictable twist: some X factor that throws a wrench into the session. Occasionally change the mission halfway through the adventure. You can do this often when the mission starts as Survey, but don't limit it to that: go wild. What started as a rescue mission turns into Demolition as the prisoner gives higher priority actionable information of how the prison actually houses a secret bioweapons lab. Pull from spy thrillers, action movies, horror, you name it.

As for running the game, split your sessions either 50/50 or 25/75 between mission planning and execution. If your players like more combat then lean towards less mission planning time. Put your players on a timer and take an active role in their prep as some sort of NPC director otherwise they'll spend practically all their time bickering about how they should go about planning. If you play a four-hour session and give them one hour to plan, then figure out a basic skeleton and have them fill in the details. You can even give them a road map. When mission planning time is up then it's go time and any loose ends either get filled in by you (in the most basic and least advantageous way possible) if it's absolutely necessary, or they get dealt with in the moment:
    Mr Johnson wrote:
    Your mission today is to infiltrate the Kasa corporation in New California and install this plant in their network. You'll be infilled via commercial transportation to a location of your choosing. You can take as long as you like, but your exfil is either via helo between 2000 & 2200 local time or you're walking home. Security is going to be tight: I suggest either a cover or you pay off someone to get you in. We're not sure where their data center is but you'll need to physically access the main node in order to upload the plant. Needless to say if security is tipped off to any tampering the whole op is off...

Think like how you want your players to think: if you'd approach this problem via assuming an identity then work on a few of those and drop some hints in the planning phase. Don't be afraid to intervene if they're going off the deep end or missing something crucial. At the end of the planning session they should have a clear roadmap of how the rest of the session should go. The emphasis there is because you're going to throw a big wrench into a crucial detail: that guy they were going to impersonate got fired yesterday and now they need to alter their identity or modify their approach because the clock is ticking. Just like the planning session the execution ends when you said it would: no extending the clock or doing an unplanned part 2. If they don't finish the op on time then they don't get paid (halve their XP or whatever in Genesys). If they finish the adventure with plenty of time to spare that's when you can get into more character centric stories. They go to a bar and chill out to spend their credits or meet up with some contact they've been trying to pursue on the side. Really encourage them to decompress in-character (maybe with actual libations at the table).

That's my two-cents on the genre. It's probably my favorite to run, but sadly I haven't been able to muster a group outside of 5E games. Truth be told, if I ran it myself I'd want to use my own home-brew system rather than any other, though Shadowrun probably comes closest.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    edited March 2019
    Hey this is some fucking awesome advice! I'm thinking it might be fun to come up with a table of random complications. Then when I create stuff for them to do at the end I can generate a random complication or two to give me and my players some spice.

I'm excited for Android because as much as the whole cyberpunk/Shadowrun aesthetic really interests me, I never have wanted to have to really dig into the shadowrun books. I'm already running a main Genesys game set on the fantasy D&D high seas that I've put together from scratch, and this game is for when we have a player who can't make it (Lots of travel for work) with a system I don't have to do too much bolting on to.

webguy20 on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    The Sprawl does a lot of stuff I love with mission oriented planning and such for cyberpunk stuff. If your game takes off, may be worth grabbing just to up your bag of tricks

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG