As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Magic The Gathering Arena] OOPS All Planeswalkers

SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
edited May 2019 in Games and Technology
RickRude wrote: »
Magic The Gathering. The CCG that started it all. Now in a format like hearthstone, and other less forms of CCG.

MTGArena_logo.png

It's currently in open beta and you no longer need to wait for a key! Simply download the client here and register
https://magic.wizards.com/en/mtgarena

If You're new to Magic check out the second post for some tips!

Open beta is live!
Use code PlayRavnica for 3 free packs!
Announcement trailer
https://youtu.be/tpOySUK3Vdc [/b]

So what is it?

It's Magic the Gathering as we all know and love and in a free to play format. You get daily quests for gold (the free currency), which you can use to play in constructed events, and draft events. The current currencies are Gold that you get from quests, and Gems you get from certain events and can purchase. Packs are purchasable with gold and gems, and the various limited formats and quick draft/constructed.

Current events always available events

Currently they are running a free singleton event to celebrate the open beta, and the first sealed event to my knowledge with Guilds of Ravnica. For 2000 gems you get 6 15 card packs to build a deck with, and get 3 normal arena boosters no matter how many games you win.

They've changed up the modes but the closed beta events were

Free Play
Quick Constructed - Gold/gem fee with gold rewards
Competitive Constructed - Gold/gem fee with gold rewars
Quick Draft - Gold/Gem fee with Gem rewards
Competitive Draft - Gem fee with Gem rewards

And then they have rotating modes on top of it with a gold fee usually.

Differences From Magic Paper / MTGO

One big thing is boosters. If you purchase a pack, they are 8 card packs. There are wildcards you can draw in the packs that let you craft any card, and each pack moves you closer to guaranteed Rare and Mythic Rare wildcars. There is no dusting system, you get wildcards through various means and they are currently trying to figure out what to do with 5th copies of cards. Currently you get progress towards "The vault" which you open up and get a bunch of wildcards at once. They feel this is unrewarding at the moment and are looking to change it.

Drafts however you get full 14 card boosters, even with a land slot. There is no foils though. Also, you draft against AI pods, that use data from MTGA and MTGO to calculate how the AI drafts, and then you play until a set amount of losses, much like hearthstone, that varies on the Quick or Competitive draft. QD is Bo1, while CD, is B03 with sideboarding.

Useful tools
This section is for add ons. I know of one I can recommend that has been featred on the official forums. Has deck export/import functions, and most importantly (at least to me) gives you a link where you can go through all your draft picks pick by pick.

https://mtgatool.com/

Here's a sample of the tool with a draft I went 6-3 with
https://mtgatool.com/draft/802ab61c-71c3-4e49-8f36-ea09f0bbe665

So that's it in a nutshell

They plan on having the same release dates as paper, and parity with paper. They are not sure on legacy formats and such.

There's more to add, and I need to edit this I'm sure. Any tips let me know. I'm not great at magic just dabbled over the 37 years of my life off and on and love the game. Hated the price and could never play paper. This F2P game has me hooked.

And it's Free!!!!

i-CV2d9W4-2100x20000.jpg

The next post contains some helpful tips from forum members new to magic.

PlayWarSpark - 3 packs 'War of the Spark'
PlayAllegiance - 3 packs 'Ravnica Allegiance'
PlayRavnica - 3 packs 'Guids of Ravnica'
ShinyGoblinPirate - Full art 'Fanatical Firebrand'
SparkleDruid - Full art 'Druid of the Cowl'
FoilFungus - Full art 'Deathbloom Thallid'
ParallaxPotion - Full art 'Revitalize'
SuperScry - Full art 'Opt'
STARTERSTYLES - (This is a failsafe code in the event someone skipped the tutorial so you may already have these but doesn't hurt to redeem it anyhow) 'Arena card sleeve' , Full art 'Luminous Bonds', 'Divination', 'Doomed Dissenter', 'Viashino Pyromancer', 'Llanowar Elves', and 'Meteor Golem'

SkutSkut on

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    yooooo, Ashiok's back!

I hope they can add them as a profile character. i'd love to have an avatar that matches my gender. (It's nightmares, BTW.)

• KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    I swear if they kill off the best planeswalker ever (Tamiyo), I will riot. (and gain a +1/+1 counter)

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Korror wrote: »
    I swear if they kill off the best planeswalker ever (Tamiyo), I will riot. (and gain a +1/+1 counter)

They need to add more mechanics like riot, when playing a card gives you a choice of three different entrees.

For real, I can't wait to replace the text on Ashiok's next card with this:

"Are you a he or a she?"
    "I'm Ashiok"
    "I mean are you a man or a woman?"
    "I'm a planeswalker"
    "No, what's in your pants?"
    "Nightmares!"

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    frankly it's very frustrating that they locked in the character avatars at core set 19 and haven't done any new ones since

liEt3nH.png
  • BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    psmk077kmvrc.jpg
    OmniDraft is an amazing format.

Highlight from the last game.
    pp3ia5ayeo04.jpg

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    It is very silly. As you'd expect card draw is king.

The gravetide doesn't seem to work right though..I drafted that card and could only play cards in the graveyard that went there after it came out

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i got killed on turn 1 in omnidraft.

they tutor chained final parting into final parting to start their chain.

cabal paladin in play, rescue in the yard, play the mirari conjecture.
    return rescue to hand, cast rescue on the mirari conjecture, replay mirari conjecture...
    infinite cabal paladin triggers.

i wasn't even mad. that was a ridiculous draft.

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    That seems to be the way to 7-0. Turn one combo kill or bust.

Fun and Interactive Magic!

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    So 2 of the stained glass walkers seem to be new walkers (unless someone here recognizes them?). And does Jaya's head look a little off like it may be cut/pasted onto her body or something or is it just me:
    h2y9snf48yk21.jpg

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    All of them have stained glass art + regular heads, Jaya is just that technique going wrong

I ate an engineer
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I imagine it would've been hard to capture the distinct look of the characters while doing the faces in a stained glass style.

admanb on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    The faces are in a stained glass style though, just with more modern techniques applied than what you'd see in medieval works. In the late 1800s early 1900s there were companies producing stained glass with basically that level of fidelity on faces.

Hah, I just got taken out in the draft shenanigans mode by Cabal Paladin + Guardians of Koilos x2 combo. Infinite loop!

edited March 2019
    Also if you want to make your opponent really sad in that mode, play Dampening Sphere.

(if you want to either make them REALLY sad or lose hilariously play Lich's Mastery)

edit: and took someone out turn 1 with the infinite combo I mentioned before.

7 wins! The last one I drew all but 6 cards in my deck turn one. Card draw is a liiiitle busted in this mode.

Phoenix-D on
  • furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I did the omindraft when they did it in December. There were a small subset of cards that were superior to all others and winning came down to how many of those you saw in draft and your starting hand. Getting T1 wins was pretty common.

I won't spend 5k gold to play it again.

furbat on
    Oh yeah, i showed my dad that Danny Trejo was the spokesperson for this and now he wants a PC and internet....

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    It being that easy, there has to be something a small donation to Mr. Trejo could accomplish if one were so inclined.

• FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I just played against a spicy Nexus-like deck that used Lich's Mastery, Chance for Glory and The Minari Conjecture to take a number of turns and then kill me with a big, duplicated Banefire.

To the guys credit, he played fast so I wasen't bored while he did his thing.

steam_sig.png
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    That's the Rainbow Lich deck. It's pretty funky.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • gBAZgBAZ Registered User regular
    Arena needs more game modes.
    It can't be too hard to make a 'singleton' mode as well as a 'pauper' mode.
    Just a simple 'deck check' is all they would need before entering que/game.
    Even commander could be added without much work.

What the hell is taking wizards so long?

Also, the rng seems pretty bad, often getting me few lands, with a 27/60 land deck, OFTEN!
    I say 90% of my losses are from having bad draws limiting my mana base.

I just feel sad as f2p only gaining like 1 pack + 6 random cards per day (+3 packs a week from weekly quests) vs someone whom obviously spent hundreds to a thousand dollars.

The f2p side of it, needs more stuff to due, I can get my daily 15 wins in about 1 to 2 hours.

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Singleton and Pauper show up as special events for the weekends generally.

Arena biases land draws in your favor compared to paper, so bad RNG is less likely. It's possible certain combinations confuse it I suppose.

They do have pauper and Singleton just not all the time.

Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Arena biases land draws in your favor compared to paper, so bad RNG is less likely. It's possible certain combinations confuse it I suppose.

They do have pauper and Singleton just not all the time.

Only in your first seven in bo1. Otherwise the randomizer is completely normal. i.e. it’s random.

Alternate game modes are sweet but you have to be careful about splitting the player base. Commander is actually technically trickier, as well as being not a great format with the small card pool.

F2P is F2P. Magic’s is definitely not the best but it’s also not the worst.

• NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    I have mixed feelings about if pauper/Singleton should always be up. On one level they are fun, and if people want to play them let them play them. On the other hand without knowing the number of players keeping them around all the time could leave them with too few for good match making. Also since they are standard with a relatively small card pool I think keeping them up all the time could result in a solved and stale metagame quickly. With pauper for instance based on last time petitioners just seems to strong in the format. If they kept it up all the time they might need to do some banning.

edited March 2019
    So only special times they have singleton/pauper?
    It's not like it puts more stress on the servers, its still 60 card decks, just need to make sure the deck is legal for said format before the match
    They should honestly permanently enable both singleton and pauper.

I'm quite new, and all ready super tired of the few cards I have.
    I want to try many cards and decks, I simply don't have access to.

Oh, on the 5th card problem, I read they planned on making a 5th card, reroll same rarity and same set, is this implemented yet?
    I've got several 5th cards last few days that just 'poofed'.
    So why should I use my wild cards on a 4th copy, in the chance the 5th card I get nulling me a card?

gBAZ on
    nm7uqrngek6m.jpg

This deck got me my first 7 win run....
    5uru68vx1uwg.jpg
    And it was a PERFECT run.

I'm dying.

The 5th card problem was solved for rares and mythic rares. Commons and uncommons will still vanish into your vault.

Permanently enabling singleton and pauper would be risky because those formats are very fragile. A weekend isn’t long enough for them to be solved, but in a couple weeks there would be a couple clear best decks, everyone would get bored of it, and then it would just sit as an option that new players would click on and sit in five minutes queues before giving up.

I do think it would be better if they had a regular rotating constructed format, because the 5k gold draft formats are neat but don’t solve the same problem.

gBAZ wrote: »
    So only special times they have singleton/pauper?
    It's not like it puts more stress on the servers, its still 60 card decks, just need to make sure the deck is legal for said format before the match
    They should honestly permanently enable both singleton and pauper.

I'm quite new, and all ready super tired of the few cards I have.
    I want to try many cards and decks, I simply don't have access to.

Oh, on the 5th card problem, I read they planned on making a 5th card, reroll same rarity and same set, is this implemented yet?
    I've got several 5th cards last few days that just 'poofed'.
    So why should I use my wild cards on a 4th copy, in the chance the 5th card I get nulling me a card?

Alternative formats have a huge cost in terms of splitting the playerbase and making matchmaking take longer and perform worse. This is especially true given the fact you generally want to have a Bo1 and Bo3 queue for any permanent mode that's available. MTGArena already has ten events at any given time, with four constructed formats, two draft formats, one sealed format, two constructed ladder formats, and one wacky format. That's a lot of ways to split up the playerbase and even though I personally like Singleton a lot, I don't think it's necessarily great if you add that and pauper to the mix forever. I do think that having pauper or singleton as a permanent fixture and removing Constructed Event and Traditional Constructed would be reasonable, as those events only exist as ways for players to try to eke out extra rewards and don't serve the purpose of a "competitive" event as well since the Ranked ladder was implemented.

As far as fifth cards go, they have implemented their preferred fifth card fix already. If you have 4x of a mythic or 4x of a rare from a given expansion, it will silently reroll any fifth copies into a new one. If you have all the mythics/rares from that expansion, or get a fifth copy in draft/sealed, it will instead give you 20 gems for a rare or 40 gems for a mythic fifth copy. Commons and uncommons just disappear into hidden vault progress, which is basically irrelevant but means that (once you have most/all commons/uncommons) every ninety packs will give you 1x mythic, 2x rare, and 3x uncommon wildcards.

I ate an engineer
    At least with direct challenge, we could still choose to do a format of our choosing with a friend, right?

No ingame way to chat yet is there? or a friends list?

I think about 10 drafts of a set you have 100% of will do it too.

• furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    The 5th card solution was a sugar coated shit sandwich.

Yes, now you don't get duplicates of rares and mythic rares from packs but...

Once you do hit 100% completion of rares you get 20 gems for each 5th copy of a rare. About 1/10th of a pack. Mythics give 40, which is worse but this almost never will happen see below.

If you do go for set completion, you'll hit 100% of the rares about 1/2 way to completion of mythics at which point each pack refunds you 1/10th of a pack of gems.

ICRs now give the terrible gem rates. Oh and ICR rates were nerfed heavily.

Your commons and uncommons still fill the vault, but not rares/mythics, so you won't fill the vault either.

On the plus side, if you are not a whale you will easily complete all the rares each set as it releases. As a new player though...

furbat on
    For a person who repeatedly said ICRs were too generous and talked endlessly about the absurd value of constructed event, I don't get why nerfing ICRs is such a sore point.

Plus, you kinda proved the benefit of the new system yourself. F2P players can get almost all rares each set. That's pretty good.

I ate an engineer
  • BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    For a person who repeatedly said ICRs were too generous and talked endlessly about the absurd value of constructed event, I don't get why nerfing ICRs is such a sore point.

Plus, you kinda proved the benefit of the new system yourself. F2P players can get almost all rares each set. That's pretty good.

Can confirm. Have every rare in RNA from grinding Bo3 drafts for the low, low price of $0.

Also trying out this Orzhov list in ranked Bo1. Liking it so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX94802l824
    7 Plains (RIX) 192
    4 Basilica Bell-Haunt (RNA) 156
    5 Swamp (RIX) 194
    2 Venerated Loxodon (GRN) 30
    4 Dauntless Bodyguard (DAR) 14
    3 Fungal Infection (DAR) 94
    3 Legion's Landing (XLN) 22
    3 Cast Down (DAR) 81
    2 Ajani, Adversary of Tyrants (M19) 3
    4 Tithe Taker (RNA) 27
    2 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper (RNA) 186
    3 Mortify (RNA) 192
    4 History of Benalia (DAR) 21
    4 Isolated Chapel (DAR) 241
    4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
    2 Orzhov Guildgate (RNA) 252
    4 Knight of Malice (DAR) 97

I’m not gonna argue that nerfing ICRs was necessary but I do think that solving the fifth card problem was an acceptable trade-off. Solving the fifth card problem makes every aspect of the F2P and paid economy of the game more pleasant, while ICRs really just reward hardcore grinders.

Since there is no trading, why even use a system nearly identical to the physical version?

I could get behind a $10 monthly subscription that makes all cards available. Would be pretty cool.
    (they could of course, still keep track of your cards, and just enable the use of more then you own).

I could even get behind a $10 per set price point, meaning to 4x a single expansion = $40. (since currently 6 expansions available, would = $240 total)
    $240 all at once to basically 'catch up' is a bit much for me... but, knowning a new expansion comes out 4 times a year, $40 every 3 months doesn't sound so bad. (similar priced compared the subscription pricing model)

gBAZ wrote: »
    Since there is no trading, why even use a system nearly identical to the physical version?

I could get behind a $10 monthly subscription that makes all cards available. Would be pretty cool.
    (they could of course, still keep track of your cards, and just enable the use of more then you own).

I could even get behind a $10 per set price point, meaning to 4x a single expansion = $40. (since currently 6 expansions available, would = $240 total)
    $240 all at once to basically 'catch up' is a bit much for me... but, knowning a new expansion comes out 4 times a year, $40 every 3 months doesn't sound so bad. (similar priced compared the subscription pricing model)

They are using this system because it makes them more money and aids in player retention by allowing players to get perceived value from F2P grinding and from daily/weekly rewards. It's way beyond the scope of the thread, but that sort of thing is basically common practice for all free to play games and almost any other system is leaving money on the table, which just isn't going to happen.

As it stands, the effective price point to have every card available is to play F2P in a dedicated fashion, and spend $100 per expansion on a big set of packs. That's effectively $33/month if you want to think of it in those terms, which is both expensive for a paid game and yet relatively cheap for either Magic as a whole or a generic F2P game where you want all the content.

I ate an engineer
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    milski wrote: »

Can confirm. Have every rare in RNA from grinding Bo3 drafts for the low, low price of $0.

Also trying out this Orzhov list in ranked Bo1. Liking it so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX94802l824
    7 Plains (RIX) 192
    4 Basilica Bell-Haunt (RNA) 156
    5 Swamp (RIX) 194
    2 Venerated Loxodon (GRN) 30
    4 Dauntless Bodyguard (DAR) 14
    3 Fungal Infection (DAR) 94
    3 Legion's Landing (XLN) 22
    3 Cast Down (DAR) 81
    2 Ajani, Adversary of Tyrants (M19) 3
    4 Tithe Taker (RNA) 27
    2 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper (RNA) 186
    3 Mortify (RNA) 192
    4 History of Benalia (DAR) 21
    4 Isolated Chapel (DAR) 241
    4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
    2 Orzhov Guildgate (RNA) 252
    4 Knight of Malice (DAR) 97

I put this deck together and am so far 0-8 in combined ranked and unranked. It is just getting dumpstered by any sort of control. (Edit: after playing it for a bit longer, what is this deck even supposed to beat? It has an okay match against monored and can win games where the op mulls to 5, but that's about it)

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    This deck that I posted near the end of the last thread...
    73valwui4ow7.jpg

Easy 7-0! Games honestly weren't ever even close.
    s1148ntbe9yv.jpg

The only change I made to the deck was +1 Plains -1 Mountain after the first game. Cast Zacama in 6 of 7 games, one of those games twice because my opponent bounced it. It won me the game every time. Used every mode multiple times and then smashed in. Hope I'll someday draft a deck this fun again.

• NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Today was the scheduled Ban announcement. No changes and they emphasized they have no intention of banning Nexus of Fate in BO3 or paper.
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/march-11-2019-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2019-03-11

This discussion has been closed.