As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] THARGOIDS INVADE BUBBLE! December 3308 Update!

• Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    Oh hey Elite thread, you're alive! Not playing myself at the moment, but keeping up with the game. Seems there is a station at Sag* now, Explorers Anchorage:

https://i.redd.it/shpm8r1v4zh21.pngshpm8r1v4zh21.png

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I'm still slowly doing missions for Ghosts in Obambojas in an attempt to start a conflict with the controlling faction. We're getting there!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      dylmandylman Registered User regular
      Lodbrok wrote: »
      Oh hey Elite thread, you're alive! Not playing myself at the moment, but keeping up with the game. Seems there is a station at Sag* now, Explorers Anchorage:

https://i.redd.it/shpm8r1v4zh21.pngshpm8r1v4zh21.png

It's pretty bare bones at the moment, no restock/repair or Cartographics. It does have outfitting though. I have some gear on the way to turn my exploration Phantom into something a bit more survivable.

The CG to get it upgraded starts in a couple of weeks, when the DW2 expedition arrives.

• Options
      @dylman The CG will be out at the location itself I presume? A bit far for me to head out to right now unfortunately.

Also, saw this pic just now... I want atmospheres! (The background here is a blue gas-giant in a system with a blue sun). That pic almost makes it look like it was taken on an atmospheric planet...

https://i.redd.it/spjva3t6bwh21.pngspjva3t6bwh21.png

• Options
      @Lodbrok Yes, it'll be a mining CG based at the station. With no limpet restocking it's going to be interesting to say the least.

• Options
      Todays random nice pictures incoming!

Does this remind you of something? (Apparently the background was made in Planet Coaster, fitting!)

8bzg9u5e9ai21.jpg

Reminder, these ships are huuuuuge:

vyv5cjcsu4i21.jpg

But, here is what's up; If you are low on high grade materials for mining, and don't mind a 1500ly trip, there is a good way of stocking up in HIP 36601:
      https://reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/atd8oy/worried_about_raw_materials_do_this_one_little/

• Options
      IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
      After a very generous mining trip (which could've had even more generous yields had I chose the right place to offload my Low Temp Diamonds) I now have about 78 million credits. Would you guys suggest the Krait Phantom, Krait MkII or Python as a next step up? The Kraits seem to be faster but the Python has more space for cargo bins.

steam_sig.png
      Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
      Backlog Challenge List
    • Options
      Ianator wrote: »
      After a very generous mining trip (which could've had even more generous yields had I chose the right place to offload my Low Temp Diamonds) I now have about 78 million credits. Would you guys suggest the Krait Phantom, Krait MkII or Python as a next step up? The Kraits seem to be faster but the Python has more space for cargo bins.

All three are great multirole ships that can be made to do everything well. The Krait MkII is slightly biased toward combat, the Phantom exploration, and the Python cargo capacity. Personally I find the Python boring to fly, while the MkII is my absolute favourite ship, but that's just my opinion.

• Options
      IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
      edited February 2019
      I bought a Python!

...And then I sold it again! I'll probably stick to mining with my AspX.

I'll also probably go back to buy it again and actually fit it for combat now that I can afford to uniformly A-rate the thing. My squadron's minor faction is currently at war in a system and I'd like to take my first swing at Conflict Zones.

Ianator on
      steam_sig.png
      Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
      Backlog Challenge List
    • Options
      BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
      dylman wrote: »

All three are great multirole ships that can be made to do everything well. The Krait MkII is slightly biased toward combat, the Phantom exploration, and the Python cargo capacity. Personally I find the Python boring to fly, while the MkII is my absolute favourite ship, but that's just my opinion.

Phantom takes the lead for combat over Mk II IMO. Depending on your flavor of combat I guess. Phantom can stack much more armor/integrity, which is important if you might be facing other players.

• Options
      SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
      I bought a Python!

...And then I sold it again! I'll probably stick to mining with my AspX.

I'll also probably go back to buy it again and actually fit it for combat now that I can afford to uniformly A-rate the thing. My squadron's minor faction is currently at war in a system and I'd like to take my first swing at Conflict Zones.

Even if you find you don't like the combat, the python can also serve as a midsize hauling/bulk passenger ship. Virtually identical cargo space to a Type-7 but weapons actually able to fight off pirates and doesn't need Large landing pads. So if you've got a Type-7, you can sell it to help pay for the python and not lose any mission functionality.

When I first made a deliberate attempt at combat after all my time purely exploring and light trading, it was for the one Engineer's prereqs. As such, I started my combat career in low conflict zones and went in my unengineered Cobra MKIII because of the cheap rebuy. Because I'd never really sought out combat before, I didn't realize this was rather stupid because CZ ships are a lot tougher than normal pirates and RES ships. It was a real slog to get all those combat bonds with my baseline weapons and shields. I could maybe take out 1-2 small ships (1-on-1, not counting just poking at something half a dozen other ships were already focused on) most trips before needing to repair/rearm because damage was so low I couldn't kill most of them before they jumped away. On top of that, for about 1 in 3 trips I'd get real lucky and a Spec Ops group would jump in right on top of me and vaporize my ship with their first volley.

I know better now, but the power gap between stock and engineered ships and CZ and RES is kind of ridiculous.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    • Options
      edited February 2019
      Bigity wrote: »
      dylman wrote: »

Phantom takes the lead for combat over Mk II IMO. Depending on your flavor of combat I guess. Phantom can stack much more armor/integrity, which is important if you might be facing other players.

Yeah, while I try and play in open where possible, my only interest in PvP is escaping interdictions.

Speaking of which, it must be time to relink Rinzler's guide for the newer players in the thread. While it's quite old, the advice is still invaluable. [NSFW: swears]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh9AWV_BWo0

dylman on
    • Options
      steam_sig.png
      Backlog Challenge List
    • Options
      TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
      I've been back and doing some flying now that I've got some awesome HOTASAS action going on. Being able to use a throttle for long haul trucking and a stick for precision strafing makes just general flying around a lot more fun.

Once I realized I could just go run missions for random engineering materials and then just trade them later I got way more enthusiastic about leveling up engineers however I was less enthused when I ran into an SRV mission that involved scanning an emplacement only to find out that mission has been bugged for months. Oohhhh wellllll.

wWuzwvJ.png
    • Options
      That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
      I've been mining void opals in my python and running them to a few different stations buying them for 1.6m/unit. Ice ring planets are stupid common and most have a hotspot. Over a few nights I raked in about 250m spacebux and cash purchased a Krait MkII. I was able to transfer most of my python's A rated modules to it too. Now I've got a stock python kitted for mining and a Krait I'm going to gear up for combat.

• Options
      AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
      Been awhile since I last played, does PA have a Squadron?

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    • Options
      Axen wrote: »
      Been awhile since I last played, does PA have a Squadron?

I have a squadron I made, Ghost Raccoons, that has been the default. We rock out of Obambojas.

• Options
        BeornKBeornK Registered User regular
        Axen, I'm in a squadron that's focused on mining (iMU). However, squadrons are really pretty useless compared to discord. Regardless of squadron status I do recommend you check out our discord for mining related questions. Its fairly chill, and although the discords been a little less active after the DW2 mining CGs there's lots of good information there and people to fly with ect. (We helped organize a lot of the mining component for the two Distant Worlds 2 mining CGs)

https://discord.gg/jFcrtdj

So if anyone wants to know the ins and outs of mining (big painite/void opal profits) or is just looking for people to wing up with swing by. We still do the normal bounty hunting, CZ and so on too. (Some of us might even engage in some piracy from time to time. ) There are groups for PC, Xbox and PS4 although our xbox group has gotten a little light.

DS0mQJS.png
      • Options
        In more elite news, it sounds like the new patch is adding two size 1 slots to all small ships and one size 1 slot to the rest. They are also adding some new modules to play the game for you (super docking computer and super cruise assist mode).

DS0mQJS.png
      • Options
        General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
        Now to fully automate bulk trading.

3DS Friend Code:
        Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
      • Options
        LogicReasonLogicReason Registered User regular
        Did my first trip out to some Thargoid things. Went and visited a crashed ship and a barnacle site. Very eerie.

• Options
        Did my first trip out to some Thargoid things. Went and visited a crashed ship and a barnacle site. Very eerie.

Awesome! Let me know if you ever want company. I did some of that back in January but always game for more. I still need to actually go Xeno hunt.

• Options
          Hello E:D thread! Hope you are still enjoying the game, I'm on a hiatus right now, haven't booted the game up in weeks. Maybe next patch....

Anyway, just wanted to put this out there, Isinona is back (again)! First video in a year, watching it now. Some say they are not that good a FA-Off pilot, but I disagree... they make flying FA-Off flying look effortless and I still haven't seen smoother flying from anyone else. Well worth watching for people old and new:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=7iB9fyCTmPk

• Options
          TubeTube Registered User admin
          super docking computer?

• Options
          SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
          Tube wrote: »
          super docking computer?

Automates both docking and undocking.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
        • Options
          TubeTube Registered User admin
          HOOK IT TO MY VEINS

• Options
          JazzJazz Registered User regular
          edited April 2019
          Some might cry "heresy!" but Frontier: First Encounters had that too and it was honestly great. Although docking in that made ED look like a cakewalk, but still.

In practice I guess it included the equivalent of super cruise assist as well. Jump to system, bring up destinations, click on the one you wanted, go to fastest time acceleration, bang, you're there and already auto docking. Simple as that.

Jazz on
        • Options
          I once tried docking in a coriolis station with 0 assist. I ended up getting stuck in a corner and did enough damage to the station trying to get free that it agro'd on me and blew up my ship. Autodocking and flight assist (and the ability to override them as needed) have been a real savior. IDK how often I'd use the takeoff assist though. I've never had a problem aiming for the mail slot. When leaving a station I'm usually speeding, often boosting through the slot and never wait my turn when there's a line. I definitely like the idea of supercruise assist though. I'm constantly getting distracted and overshooting my targets. It would be sweet if it could line you up for the next hyperspace jump too.

• Options
          AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
          Undocking is easy-peasy. Go straight up for a bit, hit boosters. It’s like two buttons you gotta press. :razz:

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
        • Options
          I'm less interested about the advanced docking computer than the impact of the new 2 free slots on smalls and the 1 free slot on the the rest of ships. The DBX can finally carry all the things with the new slots. Heck I theory crafted a hull tank viper 4 with over 5k effective armor (2.9k absolute). A lot of big ships can now toss a dss or limpet controller in that size 1 slot. Or you can toss in a size 1 thermal hull reinforcement to augment your light weight reactive hull and free up a larger slot for something else...

I will say that undocking in a belugia is a pain Axen, but I'm not sure I'd trust the docking computer to undock me after watching how the npc's stall and get blown up....

DS0mQJS.png
        • Options
          Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
          The idea that they're finally spending some time adding new tools through ship customization is very interesting. I always felt that there were way too few important choices when it came to your ship construction.

• Options
          edited April 2019
          I keep shaking my head when they talk about how the supercruise computer "optimally" brings you in and avoids a "loop of shame" when the most efficient approaches have involved screaming in like a bat out of hell before looping into a gravity brake that spits you out inches from the drop in point and in alignment with the mail slot. Said loop makes you dramatically harder to interdict too.

The computer still gonna be useful for bulk trading or long range passenger missions though.

General_Armchair on
          3DS Friend Code:
        • Options
          BasilBasil Registered User regular
          Man, yeah. If you ain't hitting the gravity well, why are you even a pilot?

9KmX8eN.jpg
        • Options
          LogicReasonLogicReason Registered User regular
          Having visited some Thargoid stuff, I decided to head even deeper into the black and went to a Guardian site and Beacon. The Sentinels there caught me off guard, but I was able, I think to fully complete one of the sites. And the beacon pointed me to a second one I landed at and logged out for the night. Here's a little gallery of my fun:

https://imgur.com/a/bRVxMzw

• Options
          expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
          So, my dad bought this for me on sale for Xbox so I could play with him. Before I knew of this, I'd bought the game on PC because it was on sale and I like exploring things.

So now I have it on both. I understand today is the big update day for newbie players like me, so I'm into that. I like the idea of going out to find derelict ships and based on my reading in the last few days I feel like there might be some still undiscovered derelicts out there. For example, the two companion ships to the Zurara from the Destiny Project could potentially be floating out there. Maybe there's more than 15 generation ships too?

How likely does that seem, based on Frontier? Or is that kind of stuff only patched in around updates or in conjunction with community events and the like? And I realize it's going to be months before I can get enough money and practice and stuff to even think about jumping out on a fools errand like searching the Hawking Gap or Conflux for such a thing.

Djiem wrote: »
          Lokiamis wrote: »
          So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
          Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
          Steam
        • Options
          They do tend to leave things floating around unannounced. IIRC a few times they got egg on their face because players found things before they were done.

As for "months before I can explore", that depends on how long your play sessions are but you could potentially have a ship capable of long range exploration by the weekend. First off, I always recommend newbies beeline for the cobra mk3 since it's by far the best ship in its weight class. It's a workhorse that will serve you well until you branch out into more specialized ships. Some relatively low investment ways to make money are an exploration circuit known as the "road to riches" (Google it), or imo the more entertaining task of mining ice diamonds and void opals and then transporting them to lucrative markets.

You can probably get away with both of those tasks with an adder, but a cobra would be more comfortable for the mining.

IIRC the most popular long jumper ships, sorted by expense, are the Hauler, diamondback explorer, asp explorer, one of the kraits, and the anaconda. A Diamondback should be well within range of purchase after only a few loads of void opals. Unlocking access to the engineers to upgrade your jump drive, and unlocking the guardian fsd booster will be their own goals to work towards to really maximize your jump range.

3DS Friend Code:
        • Options
          expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
          edited April 2019
          Well I got started on PC a bit last night. I only had an hour or so, and didn't realize some of that was going to be tying my steam account to a new Frontier account.

I've been doing the training. I struggled for a while with KB+M flying, until I realized how inordinately stupid it was to make the mouse x-axis be roll, making that yaw and rolling on the keyboard was much better. Taking off and docking weren't so bad, luckily the sidewinder fits through the slot in whatever orientation though, because matching the roll of the station was tough coming in. I ended with the basic combat tutorial, which either shows how crappy KB+M flying is, how terrible I am at it, or how completely shit the Sidewinder is at turning, I'm not sure yet. I did figure out that turning faster is a range on the throttle rather than a uniform "slower is tighter" though.

[edit]Oh yeah, I did realize at some point that the tutorial voice suggested moving energy pips around to different systems to make shit work better, but the game didn't actually tell me how to do that. I just didn't bother looking it up and muscled through the end of the combat tutorial without it, because I had to get to bed soon and I was already burned out on stopping every minute or so to look up a binding, or to bind something. The tutorial did okay at telling me the previous keybindings at least for supercruise and the like, but completely failed at telling me HOW to move pips when telling me that I should, and I just couldn't be bothered to stop playing AGAIN to look something up.

expendable on
          Djiem wrote: »
          Lokiamis wrote: »
          So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
          Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
          Steam
        • Options
          CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
          For me, KBM was no good at all. Like flying with oven mitts on.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
        • Options
          Don't waste too much time with the tutorials. They're pretty garbage at preparing you for gameplay. Especially the combat missions. Familiarize yourself with the flight controls and then hop into the game.

Default energy pip controls for keyboard are the arrow keys. They're more intuitively used when using a joystick, and there they're controlled by the hat switch.

3DS Friend Code:
        • Options
          I am pretty effective with KB&M after remapping a bunch of controls. I've got pitch and yaw on the mouse. W and S control the Z axis, A and D do roll and finally E and F control speed.