As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Borderlands] Sorry, your Vault is on another planet...

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    That's good to know. I guess I should've asked "Which one has the most characters from the other game," since I know there are quite a few cameos among the secondary cast, most obviously Handsome Jack.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Probably 2. It is is the better game in a lot of ways as well.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Of the three, BL2 is the best, yeah. It actually introduces the main story (and therefore some characters you're familiar with), and while the gameplay isn't as quite as refined (for relative definitions of refined) as TPS, it's more fun.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Just finished Borderlands 2 for the first time, without having touched any of the DLC content. We're currently at level 37. What's the general recommendation: play the DLCs now or start True Vault Hunter Mode and play the DLCs when we get to them?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    I usually wait to be max level to do the dlc but if you have never done them you might as well go ahead. Everything will be super low level is the only caveat.

edited November 2017
    Yeah, I think that's the thing. If I understand correctly, the DLCs will be capped at level 30-35, unless I proceed to TVHM. Is that correct? And TVHM should adapt to my current level to some extent, right? (Personally I wouldn't mind a bit of a challenge, while my wife is usually quite happy to vastly outrank our enemies. I guess it's cathartic after a day at the office.)

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    TVHM ends up requiring you to slag everything to do halfway decent damage, though. I don't mind a challenge, but that just got tedious for me.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    Did you play solo? I've done some Googling, and it seems that many people say that TVHM is still okay but UVHM can turn into a slog. Then again, one person's exciting challenge is another person's frustrating slog.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    TVHM doesn't adapt. UVHM adapts to the highest level person in the party at all times and is hard enough that a full playthrough of the main game and DLCs will tax your patience if you've already 100%ed the game twice before. In my opinion, every quest in the game should be played twice so alternate decisions can be made for full enjoyment. If you're interested in playing enough to get to max level and really milk everything out of the game (I.E. spend lots of time in UVHM), I recommend leaving the DLCs for TVHM and beyond. If you're more casual players, you might find that UVHM is too much of a hassle.

To be honest, I recommend that anyone getting into UVHM use the gibbed save editor to level their equipment with them so they don't have to spend time farming up equipment every few levels. I didn't start until 150 hours of play time or so, but I refuse to ever again spend energy on finding different component or level variants of equipment that I've already come across. Especially on UVHM where two or three levels can make a 50% damage difference in a gun.

Are there any Penny Arcade groups for Borderlands 2/TPS that are still active at all? I'm getting the itch again, but solo play is a lot less interesting.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    TVHM ends up requiring you to slag everything to do halfway decent damage, though. I don't mind a challenge, but that just got tedious for me.

I didn't think TVHM was that bad, but I was also playing Maya so slag was always on tap. UVHM was balls.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    Play the DLC now.

As far as TVHM, only pick up any mission that rewards cash/xp/eridium, because after you beat the story mode, the game will level with you (up to 55, I think?) so you can get the best possible version of whatever gear can be rewarded. Well, specific gun/gear parts aside.

sig.gif
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Thirith wrote: »
    Just finished Borderlands 2 for the first time, without having touched any of the DLC content. We're currently at level 37. What's the general recommendation: play the DLCs now or start True Vault Hunter Mode and play the DLCs when we get to them?

I'd recommend starting TVHM, then play the DLC on TVHM once you reach Sanctuary. Playing through all that DLC overleveled won't be that interesting or fun.

EDIT: You may want to play the Tiny Tina DLC first, for a magic missile drop. It's an automatically recharging double homing slag grenade which makes TVHM and UVHM much more manageable.

Arteen on
    Thanks to everyone for their feedback and tips. My character's a Siren and I've got the Ruin skill; I'm thinking that we're covered reasonably well with respect to slag, at least for starters. Then again, perhaps I vastly underestimate the challenge of TVHM.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Really it depends what you're playing for.
    If you just want to see what story/quests/jokes they came up with, play now.
    Tiny Tina really feels like a good place to end playing, story-wise (as it's most definitely set in post main-game).
    The hook of let's blow up Helios kind of gets lost after some other guys go and do it for them, though.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    UVHM DLC is 4 player groups only imo.
    You can solo it but you'll end up farming equipment every 20 minutes where a team can last a bit longer.
    That said I would also not play any of it but digistruct peak until you're max level as there are great unique quest reward guns that require you play the story to unlock their quests.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Cheers. Based on what I've heard, I'd tend towards TVHM, while my wife would probably go for doing the DLC straight away. Still, I now have more information which we can base our decision on.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    Necroposting because of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5V-tHWxWQw

Apparently there is a Community Patch out, which has changed a boatload of stuff in the game, and allowed modders (as in not Cheat Engine or Gibbed's Save Editor) to make new guns/gear for BL2 and not have the game break. Maybe now my dream of a Legendary Banshee Class Mod for Maya can actually happen.

Here's the link.

sig.gif
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Unless I missed it in the link, I wish the class changes were compiled in a easier-to-read format instead of spread across all the change logs.

I did pull my 62 Mech out of mothballs to mess around with it, and decided to try out a no-Anarchy shock build using the left and middle trees... and it's doing some work? I still have trouble with some big hits, but I'm just chewing through badasses like a chainsaw through butter. Havn't fought a real boss yet, though.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    "Shock Siren" Gauge is pretty neat, those reloads can be a killer though.

sig.gif
  • CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    1 Moonstones are now AutopickUp
    Hooray!

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I still play this game about other week. I got my Gunzerker just about as strong as you can get at op8 as far as I'm concerned, and I got my buddy into it. Currently playing through uvhm as Gaige and him with Sal.

The cheesy writing and thin plot or whatever never bother me. BL2 is probably my most played game and I've still yet to find anything that comes close to how much fun I have playing through with friends.

We joined a BL2 club on Xbox and dupe weapons to trade for others that we don't feel like grinding. One time we put out a message asking for an op8 Conference Call after a week of grinding Warrior. We get a response in like a minute. He joins our game and he asks "What kind?"

We sort of pause and respond, "Uh whatever you got buddy." He then proceeds to toss out one of every element. We ask him what he wants in return because we have a decent stock of other weapons.

"I'm good." And he signs off. Thanks mysterious hero.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    I'm guessing that means the savegame editor works for console versions. The trade economy becomes pretty arbitrary when you can fabricate any item that can occur in the game (and a few that can't) at any level with any parts with about one to two minutes of work.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    psst...

Borderlands 3 is probably gonna be announced at PAX East.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    I had a theory they were waiting to see how badly Anthem screwed the pooch.

persona4celestia.jpg
    I'll laugh if that's just a modern port of the first Borderlands game.

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »

I always get plenty of hate for this but the minimal story and presentation of the first one made me love it , so I would be ok with that. Felt like everything got cranked into meme x100 mode for the second . Also hoping for being able to skip exposition for the third one. There is no amount of words for the amount of hate I developed for some characters after the hundred and hundreds of hours put into the game. Mostly Tina and Ellie . As far as characters go I would be perfectly fine with Gaige and Krieg and the crew from tales and older vault hunters showing up , lukewarm to actively hostile (with special venom to anything from the pre sequel ) to everyone else.

I 100% BL1 , spent hundreds of hours on bl2, I think I got to lvl 14 on the pre sequel and just started falling asleep every time I played it.

Just please be good...it would break my heart for it to suck.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Or a Battle Royale game. They can call it... Border Royale.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    They went out of the way to put the number 3 in the teaser picture. Every news article about it is already saying Borderlands 3. If they don't reveal Borderlands 3 it's going to be Blizzcon all over again.

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2019
    Henroid wrote: »

I'm honestly surprised that it hasn't happened yet. With how much focus the games already have with looting and inventory, it feels like a natural fit. Especially with how weird guns can get.

"A old abandoned Dahl training facility" is basically the easiest fit ever.

Although it's possible that the old engine couldn't handle it.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg

I always get plenty of hate for this but the minimal story and presentation of the first one made me love it , so I would be ok with that. Felt like everything got cranked into meme x100 mode for the second . Also hoping for being able to skip exposition for the third one. There is no amount of words for the amount of hate I developed for some characters after the hundred and hundreds of hours put into the game. Mostly Tina and Ellie . As far as characters go I would be perfectly fine with Gaige and Krieg and the crew from tales and older vault hunters showing up , lukewarm to actively hostile (with special venom to anything from the pre sequel ) to everyone else.

I 100% BL1 , spent hundreds of hours on bl2, I think I got to lvl 14 on the pre sequel and just started falling asleep every time I played it.

The Pre-Sequel was actually really good IMO. It pared back on the meme-y humor, improved the storytelling with stuff like player characters actually conversing with NPCs, and dialed back some excesses of BL2 like the absurd level scaling.

It just wasn't ambitious, and the monotonous moon setting was not as appealing as the varied locales of BL2.

I hope Gearbox is able to recognize what TPS did well.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Is anyone else thinking this is a good excuse to start playing BL2 again for a couple of weeks?

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

Bit late for that, The Division 2 was poised to strike that wound and seems to have done so.

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

Isn't that a Tuesday in the life of a scav? :P

The Pre-Sequel was actually really good IMO. It pared back on the meme-y humor, improved the storytelling with stuff like player characters actually conversing with NPCs, and dialed back some excesses of BL2 like the absurd level scaling.

It just wasn't ambitious, and the monotonous moon setting was not as appealing as the varied locales of BL2.

I hope Gearbox is able to recognize what TPS did well.

Well, it was a game released on the last legs of the PS3 and 360. The budget wasn't that high, I think, but I liked what they did the lasers and moon gravity.

Jet packs would have been nicer.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
    Is anyone else thinking this is a good excuse to start playing BL2 again for a couple of weeks?

There's been rumors of some kind of sequel hook dlc coming for a while now so yeah probably

-Loki- wrote: »

Bit late for that, The Division 2 was poised to strike that wound and seems to have done so.

To be fair, though, it's Ubisoft. It's a coin flip whether they would've ended up screwing it up anyway.

persona4celestia.jpg
    -Loki- wrote: »

To be fair, though, it's Ubisoft. It's a coin flip whether they would've ended up screwing it up anyway.

The divisions loot system is so confusing already theyd have to work really hard to screw it up anymore

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Odds probably low on Randy performing his magic at the Pax East presentation?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

Borderlands 3 will tell me if Gear Box just got supremely lucky with the first Borderlands or if they actually have some talent in their studio. BL2 was incredibly disappointing and the presequel wasn't much better (soundtrack was absolutely fantastic though).

Obviously it's my opinion blah blah. I know people enjoyed the shit out of 2 but so far nothing they put out compares to how good the first one was.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I did really enjoy BL2. I enjoyed the first one too quite a lot, but its rushed nature was noticeable. Which couldn't be helped, when you decided to completely change the art style and tone of a game at the last minute it is bound to happen. Totally worth it though in the end.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    In general I've seen BL1 and BL2 interchange or be on equal footing for peoples' favorites but still be really good. TPS is the one I see mostly "feh" opinions on, with the uncommon "no it's actually good!"

I was poking at BL2 just now few a half hour or so and noticed it had problems staying connected to Steam. Is that just on my end or is the game old enough that it's just bound to happen?

This discussion has been closed.