As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] April showers bring May Birthdays

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I’m seriously considering a refund for Phoenix Point at the moment.

A very legitimate concern I saw on the Facebook announcement, people backed via FiG as investors with the knowledge that it would be available on Steam and GoG. This announcement has changed their investment potential.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Halo Master Chief Collection is coming to Steam. That is pretty excellent news.
    Edit: Halo: Reach as well. Woo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88VBun17AMI

Isorn on
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Wow, we are getting some free DLC for Dead Cells in two weeks:
    https://youtu.be/X56EtuqXfek

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    You guys ever have a moment where it sinks in that you'll never truly be able to catch up and then you just laugh in the madness of it all?

Yeah, me neither.

I'm ok.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Looks like Phoenix Point is the next game to join Epic Game Stores 1 year exclusive club.
    Hades at least was a brand new thing no one knew about and is basically spending its early access exclusive.
    Metro got weirder since it'd been selling on Steam for a while first.
    Phoenix Point is even rougher, not only has it been being sold on Steam they basically did all their alpha/betas through steam and used the community tools for that etc.
    As well as being a Fig backer project that people were expecting Steam keys out of.

So expect much wailing and gnashing of teeth on this one.
    They are offering backer refunds for upset folks.

Epic must be throwing down some pretty heavy bags of money for companies to be like "nah who cares if we piss off everybody interested in our game, let's take the money up front".

Epic store has no shitty garbage and no rape controversies, gives you Unreal Engine 4 for free and eats less than half of the cash bite.
    also, 69% of devs said Valve doesn't do enough to earn 30%.

Epic store is much better for a lot of devs.

And I personally wanna foster competition, maybe then Valve will take their heads out of their colons.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Actually happening. I'll be damned.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Looks like Phoenix Point is the next game to join Epic Game Stores 1 year exclusive club.
    Hades at least was a brand new thing no one knew about and is basically spending its early access exclusive.
    Phoenix Point is even rougher, not only has it been being sold on Steam they basically did all their alpha/betas through steam and used the community tools for that etc.
    As well as being a Fig backer project that people were expecting Steam keys out of.

Epic must be throwing down some pretty heavy bags of money for companies to be like "nah who cares if we piss off everybody interested in our game, let's take the money up front".

Epic store has no shitty garbage and no rape controversies, gives you Unreal Engine 4 for free and eats less than half of the cash bite.

And I personally wanna foster competition, maybe then Valve will take their heads out of their colons.

However, you don’t get 15 emails a day about someone trying to access your Steam account by repeatedly guessing the password.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular

wsfqdasivu1c.png

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    And all those Monster Hunter World places give a Steam key that activates on Steam, so... what? Both games are solely on one platform.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    And all those Monster Hunter World places give a Steam key that activates on Steam, so... what? Both games are solely on one platform.

Epic doesn't allow companies to generate keys to sell elsewhere. After it comes out, the division 2 will only be available on uplay and EGS, which is screwing over the regional pricing in some places

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »

Epic doesn't allow companies to generate keys to sell elsewhere. After it comes out, the division 2 will only be available on uplay and EGS, which is screwing over the regional pricing in some places

To be fair, this was Ubisoft’s entire reason though. They want you buying on uPlay so they get 100% of the sale, and chose Epic deliberately to drive people to uPlay.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Fuck Epic.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    thank you @Pixelated Pixie for Undead Horde!
    ocu4ck75dnq0.jpg
    It does look cute, doesn't it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    So I've been MIA for a while because I had some real world stuff going on and I poked my head into chat to talk about the Halo news. I noticed Sunset Overdrive came out for PC and was super happy about it. A monster noticed and took advantage of my happiness.

hvmz0fzh4sfo.jpg

Thanks @destroyah87

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    OaFFffW.png

I don't understand why @destroyah87 would do this. It seems completely uncalled for.

Thanks! I really liked the first one in all its wonky janky glory. :D

<3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Fuck Epic.

Fuck Valve too, while we're at it.

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Fuck Epic.

I've been on the Fuck Epic Bandwagon since Fortnite killed Unreal Tournament.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Random question, but has anyone played Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver recently and more importantly how? Keyboard? Controller? I feel like this game is probably awesome, but the controls are killing it for me.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular

We’ve gone round on this before, but IMO, exclusivity does not generate competition. Larger shares to devs does not generate competition (the price the consumer pays doesn’t depend on the percentage to developers).

Epic can be competition, but to do that it needs to develop a decent value proposition for its platform that isn’t reliant on exclusives. It’s not there yet, and in the meantime, is actively lowering the quality of the consumer experience.

Also I want to play my copy of Phoenix Point, but don’t need a new and exciting service account to get hacked.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I’m seriously considering a refund for Phoenix Point at the moment.

A very legitimate concern I saw on the Facebook announcement, people backed via FiG as investors with the knowledge that it would be available on Steam and GoG. This announcement has changed their investment potential.

I smell a class action.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Aren't they offering refunds for anyone who wanted it on Steam?

• Options
    Aren't they offering refunds for anyone who wanted it on Steam?

Yes. However, you do get it on Steam after the 1 year exclusivity. Essentially they’re giving you the Epic version with your Steam or GoG version.

However, there’s signs that the Epic launcher will be required even for those. The free DLC this deal enabled is specifically added to your Epic account. Also the Epic launcher will handle all updates, while the game won’t require the Epic launcher to run. This sounds suspiciously like they’re pulling a Ubisoft, with your game license being through Epic and Steam/GoG just launching through that.

If that’s the case, people ordering the GoG version for a DRM free installer are out of luck. And even though you get a Steam key, it’ll likely still require the Epic launcher.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Random question, but has anyone played Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver recently and more importantly how? Keyboard? Controller? I feel like this game is probably awesome, but the controls are killing it for me.

It was several years ago but I remember being on the keyboard and it not controlling great. I think there are some programs or what not that could get the 360 controller working but I just suffered through.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

It was several years ago but I remember being on the keyboard and it not controlling great. I think there are some programs or what not that could get the 360 controller working but I just suffered through.

You ended up beating it with the keyboard controls?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Halo MCC coming to PC is cool, but kinda not surprising. But it coming to Steam is monumental. Microsoft could have easily made that a Windows Store exclusive and no-one would have been the least bit surprised. But on Steam? Bloody hell. I never thought I'd see that.

On the Xbox One, the entire thing has been rebuilt from the ground up, by the way. It's no longer the mess it was at launch. It's pretty great now, and the PC version will doubtless be similarly polished (all the PC-specific options you'd want are already confirmed). And with Halos 1-4, ODST and now Reach all included, with all their original multiplayer maps to boot, it's probably the best big compilation release this side of The Orange Box. And, given the low price it goes for on the Xbox now, it will probably be pretty cheap too.

It's worth looking forward to, is what I'm saying.

(Even Microsoft is being better than Epic :lol: )

• Options
    edited March 2019
    It requires Xbox Live still, so I imagine they worked something out with Valve.

EDIT:An Xbox Live account, PC players get to play for free while Xbox players have to slum it with a monthly fee.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    -Loki- on
  • Options
    -Loki- wrote: »

MP is free and if the campaigns are priced like ODST, it'll be $30 for the whole package.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    They're also allegedly releasing it slowly to make sure each one works, unlike when they dumped out Halo MCC years ago on Xbone and are still patching it to make it work.

I guess I can't blame them, though it's weird to release Reach first. Wouldn't you want to release the games in chronological release order? Wouldn't Reach have more functions and features than Halo 1?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    They're also allegedly releasing it slowly to make sure each one works, unlike when they dumped out Halo MCC years ago on Xbone and are still patching it to make it work.

I guess I can't blame them, though it's weird to release Reach first. Wouldn't you want to release the games in chronological release order? Wouldn't Reach have more functions and features than Halo 1?

I imagine that they were able to do some of the porting work for Reach while they were also preparing it for inclusion in the Xbone MCC. Plus, it's basically going to be release order after Reach comes out anyway, since everything else is canonically chronological.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

I imagine getting the more complex ones out of the way first is better simply because you take the most time with the complex ones BEFORE the releases, then you're able to speed up releasing the rest.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular

Yeah, it wasn't the best experience but it worked.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular

Run big screen mode or whatever it's called and edit the controller preset. There's a really good one i used that felt pretty great. That might actually be a good game for thr backlog challenge.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    In Xbox Halo MCC now you can chop and choose what to install. The multi and the campaign for each game are all separate modules and you can just install what you want; all that's actually required is the front end of the collection. It's a great setup, and actually handled similarly to Steam's DLC handling (check what you want, uncheck what you don't, it does the rest). And, I'd imagine, lends itself well to this multi-part release on PC.

Also it's 77.2GB on my Xbox (without any X1X 4K extras, and without Reach since that's not out for it yet). So it's not going to be small on PC.

Jazz on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Halo is cool and all, but I think I would just rather binge watch Red vs Blue again.

• Options
    Being able to uncheck all of the stuff I know I'm not going to use is a great feeling.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Further to the Phoenix Point switch to Epic, they’ve also moved the backer builds to the Epic launcher. So if you want to keep getting updated backer builds, you’ve got no choice but to use the Epic launcher.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

I imagine that they were able to do some of the porting work for Reach while they were also preparing it for inclusion in the Xbone MCC. Plus, it's basically going to be release order after Reach comes out anyway, since everything else is canonically chronological.
    ODST would be out of order, since it happens during Halo 2 but was released after Halo 3.
    Man I'm really looking forward to seeing people playing these for the first time and telling them about stuff in it. The Halo Reach grenade launcher has an alternate firing mode! If you hold down the trigger when you fire, it switches to a manual detonation mode with the detonation being on trigger release. In this mode it also gains an EMP effect, allowing you to temporarily disable vehicles hit by it. Probably the best way to make a vehicle vulnerable to hijacking, and it's pretty effective at taking down Banshees as they come in for a strafe.

• Options
    Oh hey, I only just noticed, F1 2018 (my GOTY for last year) is free to play for the next couple of days, and it's 75% off until next week. If you were curious at all it's a perfect time to take a look.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Slime Rancher sold over two million copies?

Hot damn. Love a good indie success story.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
This discussion has been closed.