As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Anthem] Death from Above ! and Sideways ! sometimes even from Below !

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    kaceyp wrote: »
    Hmmm, I seem to have either a map bug or a conversation bug. Twice now I've seen a convo icon for Dax on the map and gone to her apartment only to find no conversation available. And then when I pull up the map the icon is gone. This time I played around a bit and the icon seems to disappear essentially once I move to the second floor. Back up a bit towards the first floor and it returns. Back and forth.

For reference, I'm at the point in Dax's story where
    I talked to her in the bar when she was upset about Vule and her Aunt spending time together.

Oh also a couple of times I've seen convo icons on the map move a bit, by which I mean both that they start to stray from their target location as I walk around, and that they look like they're about to vibrate into another dimension.

Must be a Shaper relic in here somewhere.

That's actually a step where you need to listen to two convos.

Go to vule and the aunt he'll have one conversation about captain hops mysteries, and then another one after that, and then you'll get an email from Dax that ends her conversation story line.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Alright I think I think I need to hear some impressions from @Preacher on The Division 2 and how it stacks up to Anthem so far. Because I really love Anthem but I think I need to just come back to it in a couple months, and I’m curious if Div2 can scratch that itch while I’m waiting. You seem to like both games so I know you’ll give it to us straight.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Occassionally, when conversations deal with other people you also have conversations with, who's available where gets a bit wonky sometimes.

• kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Hmmm, I seem to have either a map bug or a conversation bug. Twice now I've seen a convo icon for Dax on the map and gone to her apartment only to find no conversation available. And then when I pull up the map the icon is gone. This time I played around a bit and the icon seems to disappear essentially once I move to the second floor. Back up a bit towards the first floor and it returns. Back and forth.

I talked to her in the bar when she was upset about Vule and her Aunt spending time together.

Oh also a couple of times I've seen convo icons on the map move a bit, by which I mean both that they start to stray from their target location as I walk around, and that they look like they're about to vibrate into another dimension.

That's actually a step where you need to listen to two convos.

Go to vule and the aunt he'll have one conversation about captain hops mysteries, and then another one after that, and then you'll get an email from Dax that ends her conversation story line.

I saw some people elsewhere mention that, however from what I remember (I've turned it off now)
    Vule is still standing by himself with nothing to say. Dax and Cardea are both in the apartment, also with nothing to say.

I'll mess around a bit tomorrow and see what happens.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

Dax
    I think there's a sequence break in that plotline just after the bar bit. I figure it'll resolve itself eventually, patched or no.

Otherwise, so did you know there's a Legendary heat sink? 50% heat reduction, plus "you spend significantly less time overheated", and mine rolled 90% shields. Put on a Storm, you no longer need to land. It's ridiculous, and I immediately put it on every single javelin.

Div 2 scratches the loot shooter itch, but the gameplay is definitely a tonal snap from anthem and the voice work ye gods like straight up janitorial staff.

There is some variety in open world missions, but its less than anthem. When you've stopped one public execution you've stopped them all.

There is a lot more loot and you'll spend a lot of time looking at numbers choosing different numbers while your in the wild (again complete shift from Anthem where I choose my build and away I go). But set pieces are there in the early game and you have to make a lot of tough choices if your set is more important than the ilevel upgrade.

Gunplay is good, they force you to use the cover system more and all factions I've faced have a rusher group that will push you out of cover and make you have to make the hard choices. TTK is lower for players and enemies (though some boss enemies are definitely bullet sponges though now they have destroyable armor so it feels more earned for the higher hps).

Powers take a long time to reup though at least in early game (I'm only 14) I use a turret and heal drone and the turret is like a two minute cooldown with the heal drone like minute and a half, so you use them sparingly during hard encounters. Which depending on how you liked powers in Div 1 its definitely slower but maybe at end game you can knock those down faster.

Story wise the game is sparse, sparse to the point I wondered when I started if I accidentally skipped a cutscene. You do main story missions with no real rhyme or reason other than normally someone said "hey do this thing over here" the missions are fucking hard though, solo even on normal if you brought in shitty guns its going to be a rough time. And long like before I logged for the afternoon I did a mission that lasted 45 minutes and that wasn't with a lot of wipes or anything.

I will say the game is dark, and I don't mean tonally, very often you can't fucking tell where enemies are because you can't see them, add in really cool rainstorms and it can be super hard to see enemies, plus foliage as well and just level clutter can obscure enemies. No flashight either, apparently the virus broke every flash light, it was weird like that.

Also even on the xbox x there is a weird stuttering in some areas, like single digit frame "is my shit ok?" stuttering. Its only in specific areas but its really bad when it happens.

I'm enjoying it so far, but I'll have to see what end game entails what the loot drops are like and how funneled I feel into various dark zones and the fuckery there in.

Spoilers for my thought on the Division 2 in a scattershot preacher had 3 hours of sleep and played all day... TLDR If your bros are getting it I'd get it, if you don't have bros/didn't like division 1, this probably won't win you over and you should let it pass.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Excellent, that is actually super helpful. Thanks!

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    man I hate being glitched out of tyrant mine, I'll have to get a friend to log on later and get me into it so the glitch fixes

Also quickplay strongholds is a great idea in theory, unfortunately in practice it just puts you into games where progress has glitched and everyone is quitting. I've had 4 out of my 5 tries end up with me just having to quit cos I've just been put into a bugged run

Edit: ok I'm not using quickplay stronghold ever again until they fix this. Six games in a row landing in a broken game. It's like a delivery service for bugged missions

Prohass on
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Ran 2 GM2 strongholds with my buddy, he was a full MW ranger and I was full MW storm. I felt like I hit like a wet noodle. Ten thousand suns did plenty of damage but they had so much health it didn't matter. Since I was stacking blast damage for my abilities my impact damage was low so my guns did damn near nothing. Like 2 entire clips from my Artenias Gambit to kill one elite. I think I will stick with GM1 until I am in full god roll legendaries if that is what I can expect.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular

So apparently reddit ppl are doing a boycott of the game, asking for improved drop rates?

I think it was supposed to start a couple of days ago?
    (as I launch the game this moment)

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    So apparently reddit ppl are doing a boycott of the game, asking for improved drop rates?

I think it was supposed to start a couple of days ago?
    (as I launch the game this moment)

internet rage gets things done right?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Why the hell are they boycotting? I can get MW during freeplay now more or less every half hour, and strongholds have been 1-3 MW for me the last 12-18 hours?

In other news, I have been crafting purple Shield Pulses for my Colossus, as Support slots are currently only purple at their highest, and I am wondering which of these is the best:
    - Armor +24%, Ammo Pickup Amnt +11%, Harvest Bonus +25%
    - or
    - Shield +50%, Repair Amnt +4%, Support +35% Luck

My current base Armor is around 50k, my Shield around 21k, but I have +70% Armor on a (universal) component, and can equip 2 weapons which together have +150% Armor.

And I still have another universal component which “increases armor by a large amount”, but that one only has 1500 armor, which is a huge drop down of the usual 10k you have on a Colossus component, BUT it also has a +60% armor bonus.

Urgh! Time to pick up my calculator!

So, has anyone found on a Purple Shield Pulse a higher bonus that +24% armor?

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Last night I got up to 29, and it seems like I got through enough missions that now contracts are finally rolling in. Hoping to finally hit 30... but my friends list keeps looking smaller and smaller. Hope I didn't miss the boat. I guess a lot of people either had time to be "done" already, or dropped to just weekends.

Hopefully they'll hit their stride and encourage people to jump back in from time to time.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    Why the hell are they boycotting? I can get MW during freeplay now more or less every half hour, and strongholds have been 1-3 MW for me the last 12-18 hours?

In other news, I have been crafting purple Shield Pulses for my Colossus, as Support slots are currently only purple at their highest, and I am wondering which of these is the best:
    - Armor +24%, Ammo Pickup Amnt +11%, Harvest Bonus +25%
    - or
    - Shield +50%, Repair Amnt +4%, Support +35% Luck

My current base Armor is around 50k, my Shield around 21k, but I have +70% Armor on a (universal) component, and can equip 2 weapons which together have +150% Armor.

And I still have another universal component which “increases armor by a large amount”, but that one only has 1500 armor, which is a huge drop down of the usual 10k you have on a Colossus component, BUT it also has a +60% armor bonus.

Urgh! Time to pick up my calculator!

So, has anyone found on a Purple Shield Pulse a higher bonus that +24% armor?

It has to do with expectations for a game that is a looter that is modeled so similar to Diablo games. Diablo made the jump to showering you with loot - where your goal wasn't to get loot - that was going to happen, but to get loot with the stats you need for the build you wanted to make. Right now for those people Anthem has issues on several fronts

-Loot doesn't drop a high enough rate that you can experiment with a ton of builds because if you need some specific pieces of loot there isn't any guarantee over the course of several days that you will get it. Then if you do it might roll with stats that won't work with that build, so you can't even try it out.

-There literally might not be enough types of loot in the loot pool to have the build diversity those people are looking for even if it did drop more often. You tend to be tied to the MW effects and there are only a few you can reliably build around.

-IMHO they either should have made purples the end game loot that you based your build around originally with MW dropping at the rate they are now but opening up builds through their effects OR MW should drop much more frequently and there should be another ACTUAL tier of loot past MW that offered even more crazy build defining effects and not just legendaries which are potential stat boosts to items you already have. Then allow MW and whatever the new tier is roll rarely as a legendary version that has boosted stats.

Adding the MW universal components is a good start and much needed to add a little bit of leeway in making some different builds.

Honestly I feel like the game either needed to give you tons of loot to make creating builds interesting and fun so you don't notice you are doing the same 3-4 things over and over until they get some content rolling out OR they needed much more content variety out the gate for you to play around with using the items you currently have access to.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
    Uhg, scar temple bugged.

It's stuck in the "explore area" and no one can do anything.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    Had a funny scar temple this morning where someone had an open mike the whole time and it was like babys first woke conversation with his friend. It was amusing more than irritating.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MenasorMenasor Registered User regular
    soylenth wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    Ok so a glitch of course, while I was reading this I got stuck behind a wall in a stronghold, like when it blocks off an area and you get stuck behind. It's the one time you want aggressive tethering to teleport you but of course it won't do that

It takes a lot for me to complain about a game being buggy, but dear god Anthem meets that standard

Someone said you could try running back the other direction and it might tether you across the wall?

I ran into this too last night, a wall appeared in my face before the first chest in Temple of Scars. There's a Respawn option if you open up the map, that should get you to the next checkpoint.

Destiny PS4: Earthen1
    Menasor wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    Ok so a glitch of course, while I was reading this I got stuck behind a wall in a stronghold, like when it blocks off an area and you get stuck behind. It's the one time you want aggressive tethering to teleport you but of course it won't do that

It takes a lot for me to complain about a game being buggy, but dear god Anthem meets that standard

Someone said you could try running back the other direction and it might tether you across the wall?

I ran into this too last night, a wall appeared in my face before the first chest in Temple of Scars. There's a Respawn option if you open up the map, that should get you to the next checkpoint.

Yeah anytime you get spawned on that fog wall before the bomb room just choose the respawn option. hopefully they fix that soon because its real dumb.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    How the heck do you leave a squad?

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    I cleared the final mission last night, although for about the third time that day matchmaking decided that "you got this, champ" and sent me in alone, so I had to solo it.
    Death by strider to the face? Yes, I am 100% behind that.

Now for the post game stuff, and maybe even finally playing this with other PA peeps? Who knows, might even get around to unlocking the thicc boi.

sig.gif
  • PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    How the heck do you leave a squad?

if i remember correctly, you have to go the expedition interface and click on your own name. Then some options including leave squad should appear. Similar to clicking on another persons name if you want them to be squad leader, because I think only squad leader can choose the activity (and I don't think you can see the available activities for your squad mates, as when I learned this I was trying to help a family member with one of their earlier contracts I could not see anymore).

“There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    @Noggin I tried to add you on PSN but you are not having any of that "friend requests from Rando Calrissian" foolishness. I am, though! Feel free to send a request if you want one more friend who doesn't play a lot, but plays almost all Anthem right now.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Oh woops, I actually only have Anthem on PC for now. I'll still check if I got your invite, I might eventually double dip to ps4.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    I looked at the Anthem roadmap and they’ve added “Discover” buttons.

There will be 4 legendary missions in phase 1.

Furthermore, complete daily challenges to obtain keys, which are used at the end of strongholds to open the Elysian boxes which give vanity items.

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    I looked at the Anthem roadmap and they’ve added “Discover” buttons.

There will be 4 legendary missions in phase 1.

Furthermore, complete daily challenges to obtain keys, which are used at the end of strongholds to open the Elysian boxes which give vanity items.

Huh they must have locked down the update method for Legendary Missions faster than expected, they were thinking it was gonna be 2-3 for the first update/

• KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I still want to give Anthem some slack, I mean, it's clear why Div2 is launching in a much better state, it pretty much straight up just uses the same framework Div1 set up, but dang do I wish Anthem had even a quarter of the QoL and stuff Div2 has at launch.

I think Div2 is fun for what it is but ultimately I'm still a hundred times more interested in Anthem's future than Div2's. I'm still hopeful that Anthem will turn itself around over the next months, but Div2 launching in the state that it's in, as a much more "feature complete" game, makes it sting a bit.

Not that either has been a particularly bugfree experience. In the two days I've spent with Div2 I've probably been frustrated with the bugs way more than I ever was with the handful I ran into in Anthem.

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I'm not playing much this week, but I am okay with a "get keys for vanity chests" system. Vanity chests in general are something that will get me logging in more often. Grinding coins very slowly isn't as exciting. Not as much as new story content would obviously, but vanity chests are a "yay!" from me. Hopefully they are using it as a placating method while they work on MW loot in general, and not just obfuscating a loot system they will not be improving.

Also, these universal MW components really, really make me want a stats page. Does +50% armor on a universal component with low shield/armor stats leave me better off on my colossus than a colossus component with much higher shield/armor stats? hell if I know.

soylenth on
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I'm not playing much this week, but I am okay with a "get keys for vanity chests" system. Vanity chests in general are something that will get me logging in more often. Grinding coins very slowly isn't as exciting. Not as much as new story content would obviously, but vanity chests are a "yay!" from me. Hopefully they are using it as a placating method while they work on MW loot in general, and not just obfuscating a loot system they will not be improving.

Also, these universal MW components really, really make me want a stats page. Does +50% armor on a universal component with low shield/armor stats leave me better off on my colossus than a colossus component with much higher shield/armor stats? hell if I know.

They actually hinted towards the vanity chests before launch so it was definitely in the works. Sadly it's generally a different pool and they seemingly intentionally didn't mention armor pieces, more vinyls/emotes/etc. But still! Definitely some incentive to play more.

Did a contract on gm2.

No mw.
    :(

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    Did a contract on gm2.

No mw.
    :(

yeah, see, that's not great.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Anyone played Freeplay today?

I've gotten the event "Arcanist Korox Study" like 15 out of 20 events

Don't think I've even seen it before today

Those Brutes don't play around

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular

The first one, most definitely. After that I’m not sure and yes stats page would be much better.
    Turambar wrote: »
    Anyone played Freeplay today?

I've gotten the event "Arcanist Korox Study" like 15 out of 20 events

Don't think I've even seen it before today

Those Brutes don't play around

It’s a special event to help with the kill 100 beasts event (where was the notification in game that this event was on?) I found 2 that appear around the Edian grove. You could fly back and forth between them and they would respawn quite quickly.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I think I'm going to have to add some Xbox players to my alliance, I've been added people as friends on Xbox live but almost none come up and I'm getting nothing in the weekly payout. Do you add via the Xbox live friend system or the ingame favourites system?

I had a new legendary contract mission type this morning, it was like help arcanists open a vault (one of the under ground areas) and then go inside and fight some titans in close quarters.

Also I'll say Anthem has one thing over division 2, it doesn't stutter and freeze like crazy in some sections on console. You'll get some frame drops when shit goes nuts with like 3 storms, but you won't get the flat out stuttering freeze div 2 has in almost one whole section of map plus missions in that area.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Kyanilis wrote: »

They actually hinted towards the vanity chests before launch so it was definitely in the works. Sadly it's generally a different pool and they seemingly intentionally didn't mention armor pieces, more vinyls/emotes/etc. But still! Definitely some incentive to play more.

No vanity armor in chests is a boo from me.

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    So, when I was playing last night between 1am-4am EST, I only had 1 mission out of. 4 storyline missions where I was matchmade with anyone, and zero of the contracts/side missions had anyone else. I had my party set to public, normal difficulty, and I was playing on PC.

Is the game already that dead, or is there some weird bug I’m not aware of?

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I played at 2am after hockey and got in a full group for a random brin contract on gm1.

I got 2 masterworks that were meh.

Only tried the one mission but it was quick and full.

ronzo wrote: »
    So, when I was playing last night between 1am-4am EST, I only had 1 mission out of. 4 storyline missions where I was matchmade with anyone, and zero of the contracts/side missions had anyone else. I had my party set to public, normal difficulty, and I was playing on PC.

I'm guessing people avoid quickplay because of bugged missions and few are playing on normal difficulty anymore because they've essentially leveled past it as the reasons. I'd be willing to bet there's been some drop-off since launch, but at GM1/hard it might still be relatively populated. I guess the good news is normal is not too hard to get through solo? Depending what level/gear you're at, I'd try bumping it up to hard and see what the matchmaking is like.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I'm kind of waiting for the next big event to pop up...do when have any idea when that is?

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »

1AM-4AM is pretty late to start with. But I might try switching the difficulty to Hard once or twice. I'm a nightowl and never had any issues finding a group.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest