As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This Thread Will Go Down in [History]

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Straightzi wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    That seems like an odd complexion for a Roman. Do you get many ginger people in the Mediterranean?

thracians and gauls were classically attributed as having many redheads, so gingers absolutely existed in the late roman period

Nero is of the Julio-Claudian dynasty though

I wouldn't say it's impossible, and we don't really have a lot of information on the appearance of the non-emperor members of that family

But it does seem unusual for an old Roman family

Just wanna say Romans did a lot of adopting and families were less "biological" in nature and more social

But light hair did indeed run in that family

Platy on
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »

This guy's hot.

Just a heads up, the guy didn't get named the "Enemy of all Mankind" for nothing. Just ask the people of Alexandria.
    So what you're saying is that he's a bad boy?

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    That seems like an odd complexion for a Roman. Do you get many ginger people in the Mediterranean?

thracians and gauls were classically attributed as having many redheads, so gingers absolutely existed in the late roman period

I wouldn't say it's impossible, and we don't really have a lot of information on the appearance of the non-emperor members of that family

Well you have to remember that the Romans were super keen on fucking. Every time all the time was a good time as far as they were concerned. Gotta expect a lot of gene transfer in that situation.

Also, blond hair isn't exactly uncommon in Italy today

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

Well you have to remember that the Romans were super keen on fucking. Every time all the time was a good time as far as they were concerned. Gotta expect a lot of gene transfer in that situation.

romans were actually pretty prudish

• V1mV1m Registered User regular

Pompei grafitti tells another story.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019

Also, their comedies

Fencingsax on
    Same as the Victorians, notoriously prudish, but also super horny.

pompei was a resort town where people went to not be prudish

The Roman plays could get pretty horny, they were pretty much the Greek plays but more crass. Sometimes even having actual sex portrayed on stage. However, not too crass as whenever the plays were too rude there was public outcry and disapproval. So it happened, but it didn't seem to be normal.

IIRC

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

This guy's hot.

Just a heads up, the guy didn't get named the "Enemy of all Mankind" for nothing. Just ask the people of Alexandria.
    It's funny, I checked his wikipedia page to see what his deal was earlier, and it's like "he enfranchised a bunch of people, minted a new type of coin, made a really big bath," and I'm thinking huh, sounds like a pretty cool guy, "commited massacres, plural" oh.

He ‘enfranchised’ nearly everyone...because only 'enfranchised' AKA Roman Citizens were obligated to pay taxes. In the long run, this may have contributed in a roundabout way to the Fall of the Roman Empire. Previously, getting Roman Citezenship was a Big Deal. Now that it was just being given away, people stopped caring as much about being part of the Empire.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    you guys all know so much about olden times, and I'm like

who's my governor again, is it Arnold? no, wrong state. The Crack Guy? no I think he's Canadian

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I forget this sort of stuff fairly regularly, I've just been on a big Rome kick recently for unrelated reasons

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

who's my governor again, is it Arnold? no, wrong state. The Crack Guy? no I think he's Canadian

No you're right, your governor is named Arnold and they smoke crack, boy do they

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    Hobnail wrote: »

No you're right, your governor is named Arnold and they smoke crack, boy do they

Actually, he's dead from cancer...and his awful brother is our Premier (equivalent to Governor.)

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I am referring to Govenor Arnold of State X not the Ford family criminal syndicate

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    Whoops, responded to the wrong comment.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I love roman busts. My favourite is the famous one of Caracalla.

800px-Caracalla_MAN_Napoli_Inv6033_n01.jpg

So much emotion.

This guy's hot.

Beefy Justin Timberlake.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

pompei was a resort town where people went to have some rompei-pompei

• SolarSolar Registered User regular

A most excellent post

mods???

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Not really. Romans were very "performativly prudish". Like, IIRC Cato the younger berated a women for wearing silks so sheer that "all who look upon her know her as completely as her husband". Which might suggest that they were prudes, but also tells us that they were definitely dressing provocatively for the time. Octavian's attempts to reform roman marriage also gives us some evidence that they were pretty open about who and how much they were fucking. There were so many attempts at cultural "reform" that we have more evidence that they were being naughty than that they were prudes.

Also the sexual custom was entirely different from our own. Much was based on the concept of dominance. It wasn't considered cheating to screw someone of the same or opposite sex as long as you maintained the dominant position. Ignoring also that slaves basically didn't count in anyone's opinion.

It's a bit more modernist of me I guess, but the very idea that Roman could be conservative about sex is an astounding bit of logic acrobatics for the Romans. This is the group that, in their national origin myth, was founded on a group so uniformly awful that they resorted to mass kidnapping and rape to further their society. Which they were 100% aware was a bad thing.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    There are also some good

This guy's hot.

It's funny, I checked his wikipedia page to see what his deal was earlier, and it's like "he enfranchised a bunch of people, minted a new type of coin, made a really big bath," and I'm thinking huh, sounds like a pretty cool guy, "commited massacres, plural" oh.

He ‘enfranchised’ nearly everyone...because only 'enfranchised' AKA Roman Citizens were obligated to pay taxes. In the long run, this may have contributed in a roundabout way to the Fall of the Roman Empire. Previously, getting Roman Citezenship was a Big Deal. Now that it was just being given away, people stopped caring as much about being part of the Empire.
    "Rome" (western Rome) fell mainly because of just getting so darn big that expansion was unfeasible, and the overhead or maintaining its territory became untenable. Oh and also lots of corruption because all empires forever and always lead to massive corruption.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I think trying to categorize Roman society as being definitively prudish or licentious is a severe misunderstanding of the magnitude of Rome as an entity

Like, we're talking about an empire that spanned a thousand years and occupied significant portions of Europe and the Mediterranean

Even if we're looking at just one specific year of Rome, you still have the geographical expanse and the social strata to contend with

And of course this is all based on the records that we have, which are inconsistent and often exaggerated

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    This is the same group of people who would spill gallons of ink and talk till they were blue in the face about how they were simple farmers, nothing more, and certainly not a military juggernaut who acquired new territory all the time.

In other words, any culture lies about its nature all the time, whether they were a historical powerhouse or not.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Understanding this requires some additional understanding of how they saw family. Genetic heritage was not how you passed down your family name, position or power. It was passed through marriage. Every emperor of the Julio-Claudian dynasty was no closer to the others than a grand nephew.
    Gaius was gruncle to Octavian
    Caligula was great-nephew to Tiberius who is the stepson of Octavian.
    Claudius was the great nephew of Octavian.
    Nero was the great nephew of Claudius.
    I don't think Gaius Julius was even a genetic ancestor of Nero.

Dedwrekka wrote: »

Understanding this requires some additional understanding of how they saw family. Genetic heritage was not how you passed down your family name, position or power. It was passed through marriage. Every emperor of the Julio-Claudian dynasty was no closer to the others than a grand nephew.
    Gaius was gruncle to Octavian
    Caligula was great-nephew to Tiberius who is the stepson of Octavian.
    Claudius was the great nephew of Octavian.
    Nero was the great nephew of Claudius.
    I don't think Gaius Julius was even a genetic ancestor of Nero.

Oh I'm well aware

They are a predominately central Italian family still though, despite the weird way that they were formed, which does make the complexion feel... notable

Which also is probably why we have Suetonius writing about it

edited February 2019
    And yeah, Gaius Julius Caesar isn't a genetic ancestor of any member of the dynasty, as we generally think of it.

The dynasty really begins with Augustus, who was Gaius Julius's nephew.

Gaius Julius's actual children aren't really a part of things - Augustus had Caesarion (who might not even have really been his kid) killed at 17, and his daughter Julia was married to Pompey but died in childbirth (along with the child).

Straightzi on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

This guy's hot.

When your tyranny starts with murdering your brother in front of your mother things can only go downhill.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I love roman busts. My favourite is the famous one of Caracalla.

800px-Caracalla_MAN_Napoli_Inv6033_n01.jpg

So much emotion.

This guy's hot.

Beefy Justin Timberlake.

Yes, thank you. I knew he reminded me of some celebrity.
    edit: looking at othe busts of him, he might've also looked like John C. Reilly
    255px-Caracalla_Louvre.jpg

honovere on
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    "Rome" (western Rome) fell mainly because of just getting so darn big that expansion was unfeasible, and the overhead or maintaining its territory became untenable. Oh and also lots of corruption because all empires forever and always lead to massive corruption.

I mean, there were a lot of things. Wealth concentration in the hands of a very few, the effects of slavery, and lead consumption leading to a stupider ruling class were other reasons. And yes I may have worded those in a certain way to draw some modern parallels.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    There are a million reasons Western Rome fell. It took several hundred years to decline.

I feel that ultimately the fact that they lost slave influx (because they stopped winning external wars) which greatly hurt their economy and suffered through population decline through plague and civil war in the third century.
    The demographics shift in that 100 years is significant.

These 3 things made the Western lands less valuable for the Constantinople emperors, as it meant less tax income and less people to defend the border.

And then various tribes start showing up and they have to negotiate, giving away land and rights and money and suffer defeats.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I feel that ultimately the fact that they lost slave influx (because they stopped winning external wars) which greatly hurt their economy

Slavery greatly distorted labor markets and disincentivized investments outside the household, slaves also mainly contributed to elite wealth which was more difficult for the government to access

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I found history yesterday!

Prehistorical History!

I was looking for fossilized shells to inlay into the guitar I'm making and found a tooth that as near as I can tell came from a Merychippus or Pliohippus (both early horse ancestors that lived between 5 and 15 million years ago). I've found a bunch of shark teeth, but this is the first mammal tooth I've ever found!

this is the one I found
    mv03lvv0vwzy.jpg

this is my find angled the same way as the next picture
    vmi9qji76e9l.jpg

this one is from a museum
    y37sft4vyprn.jpg

this one is from a study on prehistoric horse teeth
    pm8nq3t1h449.jpg

Xaquin on
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Cool, though probably a better fit for the science thread.

Cool, though probably a better fit for the science thread.

Natural history

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Paleontologists were into history when it was underground.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Paleontologists were into history when it was underground.

Nice sneakers, Dad. Please go check the food cooking on the grill. Your glasses are on your forehead.

DouglasDanger on
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Al Muqaddimah. This pop history channel got recommended to me pretty recently and while it isn't that old it's pretty neat. What separates it from most most history channels is its focus: specifically Islamic history. It's also unique in that the channel's author is Pakistani, although he admits he's both an amateur history enthusiast and also not really a practicing muslim despite being raised as one. Still the production values are nice, and the information is accurate. (if, like most channels, a bit on the simplified side)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDjjp4Nf73I

This discussion has been closed.