As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Truly this has been the final fantasy

OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floofRegistered User regular
Ever noticed how they call it final fantasy when there's actually, like, way more sci-fi elements than straight up fantasy?

Anyway if you want to talk about any of the following

Final Fantasy 1: Four nobodies team up and fight monsters to save the world
Final Fantasy 2: A bunch of people stand around punching themselves in the face to get stronger and it actually works
Final Fantasy 3: A different group of four nobodies team up and fight monsters to save the world
Final Fantasy 4: A military man has a crisis of conscience and gets betrayed like 50 times by the same guy
Final Fantasy 5: A bunch of temp workers fight a tree that got so mad it turned into a guy
Final Fantasy 6: A bunch of rebels fight an evil empire and some of them learn magic. It's not Star Wars
Final Fantasy 7: Corporations are evil and are destroying the planet. This is also the plot of Final Fantasy 7.
Final Fantasy 8: Still exists despite Nintendo and Square-Enix's best efforts to convince us all otherwise.
Final Fantasy 9: A naive, but nice girl, the most precious boy in the world, and a bunch of weirdos team up and fight monsters and save the world.
Final Fantasy 10: My old man's a real piece of shit, the video game.
Final Fantasy 11: doesn't get played much these days but sure, why not
Final Fantasy 12: Sky pirates and political intrigue or something. This one's not my jam but some folks around here love it and I gotta respect that.
Final Fantasy 13: Okay so there's this chick, Lightning, and she kinda looks like Cloud but she's a girl and she's just, like, the coolest most important bestest person in the whole wide world...
Final Fantasy 14: has its own thread. It's an MMO and I hear it's a pretty good one if you're into that sort of thing.
Final Fantasy 15: Four somebodies team up and take an epic road trip, brah. ...to save the world I guess I dunno

There's about a billion spinoffs too you can talk about any of those here too.

Except Tactics. You keep that trash out of here.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    sounds like a thing for nerds

BahamutZERO.gif
  • the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed Mystic Quest when it first came out.

I played it again a number of years later and realized there's almost nothing to the game.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I've never played Mystic Quest but the amount of shit it got always made me want to defend it. I should really give it a try sometime

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    My PS4 stopped reading discs so I’m finally playing the fancy FFIX version I’ve got downloaded on there, and this game is even better than I remembered. It’s definitely aged the best for me of all PSone era FFs.

After the past few entries, it’s just so refreshing to play something this fun and charming.

9 has it's problems but it's been doing a great job of continuously being worth putting up with the slow battles and wonky pacing

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    9 has it's problems but it's been doing a great job of continuously being worth putting up with the slow battles and wonky pacing

zidane's gropeyness is a product of it's time like whoa, but he is also a breath of fresh air in a sea of mopey protags and vivi is a good lad

I've never played Mystic Quest but the amount of shit it got always made me want to defend it. I should really give it a try sometime

As I remember it, it's basically a primer on how turn-based JRPGs worked in the 90s. Not much to the story, not much to the game.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

zidane's gropeyness is a product of it's time like whoa, but he is also a breath of fresh air in a sea of mopey protags and vivi is a good lad

Vivi, my son, is a wonderful boy

it's "fine"

it's barely an rpg and doesn't share anything with other finfans (it was only released as a finfan in the states)

it's greatest sin is that it is so pared down that it lacks any real identity

After playing this version I don’t know if I could go back to the original.

I make liberal use of a few of the assists, including the 9999 damage mode you can turn on and off at any time. If I’m stuck, or just don’t want to grind through an area, I don’t have to worry about it. I felt weird about it at first, but I’m having a blast.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    What happened to the FFVII updated version? Did that ever come out?

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »

Hasn't even started develioment

they are doing an RE2 with it where they are just remaking shit from the ground up, also it will probably be episodic???

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I will keep Tactics talk to a minimum, but that "hard mode" hacked ROM released recently fixes a ton of problems in it and makes if feel way more contemporary.

Only downsides are monsters are still trash units and the dialogue is from the PS1 version.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    What distinguishes certain elements of final fantasy as scifi rather than straight up fantasy?

PNk1Ml4.png
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I’m trying to not use the assists in ffix but I will use the safe travel and 2x speed ones when I just wanna fucking get somewhere

I’m really enjoying it but the pace of the combat is leisurely at best

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    What distinguishes certain elements of final fantasy as scifi rather than straight up fantasy?

The steampunk parts

6F32U1X.png
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular

Hasn't even started develioment

Thanks, also, poop.
    I feel like I've been hearing about it for years and was looking forward because I wasn't able to get past the graphics when I tried the original for the first time last year.

this is the star wars is space fantasy rather than scifi argument

it's dependent on if you view scifi as a hard scifi thing where the principle focus is on the technology as a product of hard science rather than something fantastical

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Electronics.

maaaan I dunno, I'm just recycling a joke

cdci44qazyo3.gif

edited March 2019
    So I am the worst with actually finishing Final Fantasy games

FF I have beaten

FF i have played all the way through to the last dungeon but couldn't be arsed to complete

6 (multiple times)

15 I have been near the end for almost a year. Children prevent completion.

What's wrong with me?

the wook on
    the final dungeon of 8 is a garbage fire like the rest of the game is

except the underground research facility which was dope

Holy shit it’s the wook

What the fuck

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    ive been playing final fantasy record keeper for 4 years now and probably spent the gdp of a small african nation

dissidia final fantasy opera omnia is good as well

my phone is very final fantasy

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    You are right, Bravely Default is pretty good

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Holy shit it’s the wook

What the fuck

the wool is dead mori, that's just a ghost

Holy shit it’s the wook

What the fuck

Hey Mori

How's your wife and my kids?

• WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    I didn't think I liked final fantasy but I've played and beaten:
    VII
    X
    X-2
    FF13
    FF15

so I guess I keep giving them a chance because there's always something there that feels special even though I usually don't care about the plot at all by the time the credits are rolling

Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    You are right, Bravely Default is pretty good

ringabel is a good compelling character

I just don’t have much time to play games since I’ve had a kid, so I’m glad FFIX lets me enjoy it as a visual novel with some fights, if I feel like it - which I often do.

And my god, every JRPG should auto-save with the frequency this thing does. If I can’t stop at a moments notice and not lose any real progress, I’m out by default.

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I don't know if it is the best line/translation in the series, but describing an edgelord character as someone who'd "slit their own mama's throat for a nickle" has certainly stuck in my vernacular.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
    the wook wrote: »
    Holy shit it’s the wook

What the fuck

Hey Mori

How's your wife and my kids?

They’re great and waaaaitaminute

yeah the checkpointing in FF9 is really good

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    who the fuck is the wook

6vjsgrerts6r.png

Chewie?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Does the PS4 FFVII have the same features? Because if it does I might give it another go. I beat it once as a kid and have bounced off it every time I’ve come back since. Maybe an all out godmode playthrough would mean I can just have fun revisiting the story/characters.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    lexi come play ff14 with me

liEt3nH.png
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    final fantasy is.. good, imo