As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] April showers bring May Birthdays

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    GuildNav wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Dwarf Fortress is coming to Steam. With music and a tileset.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/975370/Dwarf_Fortress/

I'm all for Toady taking DF commercial, but if he brings it to Steam with the current UI, it is going to get slaughtered in the reviews - and he'll deserve it.

Even looking past how obtuse doing something as simple as setting up infirmary is, the squad management is offensively bad.

What's the over/under on number of hours before, "what a shitty Rimworld clone!" in the reviews?

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Cross-quoting from the Xbox thread, and apologies for the Verge link:

You can stream your PC games to your Xbox One now if you have one. Yes, that includes Steam games. Apparently it only works via wifi, which is odd, but still. Pretty neat!

The streaming from Xbox One to Windows 10 already worked surprisingly well, so now you can go the other way around! I haven't tried it out yet but I'll obviously have to.

Once again, MS include Steam. Add to that Sunset Overdrive and MCC on Steam... seems like there’s some collaboration going on.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

You can stream your PC games to your Xbox One now if you have one. Yes, that includes Steam games. Apparently it only works via wifi, which is odd, but still. Pretty neat!

The streaming from Xbox One to Windows 10 already worked surprisingly well, so now you can go the other way around! I haven't tried it out yet but I'll obviously have to.

Once again, MS include Steam. Add to that Sunset Overdrive and MCC on Steam... seems like there’s some collaboration going on.

Definitely seems like it.

I, for one, am not complaining!

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

Do yourselves a favor and read the sordid history of Boatmurdered and laugh at the carnage.

http://www.threepanelsoul.com/comic/on-mixed-economies

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    -Loki- wrote: »

Definitely seems like it.

I, for one, am not complaining!

Me either. If it means I get Xbox exclusives without needing an Xbox or the Windows store, I’ll happily throw them into my steam collection if the price is right.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular

I'm all for Toady taking DF commercial, but if he brings it to Steam with the current UI, it is going to get slaughtered in the reviews - and he'll deserve it.

Even looking past how obtuse doing something as simple as setting up infirmary is, the squad management is offensively bad.

I think DF is (in)famous enough that reviews will be fine.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Steam sucks, as a service. Epic is sketchy as fuck, as a service. Put everything on Origin!

What was that short-lived Penny Arcade digital storefront called? Greenhouse?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    Steam sucks, as a service. Epic is sketchy as fuck, as a service. Put everything on Origin!

What was that short-lived Penny Arcade digital storefront called? Greenhouse?

Yep, Greenhouse. Back when everyone wanted to do Steam. Jerry's on record as saying it was a terrible idea.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Greenhouse's twitter account still exists. It hasn't been updated in almost 9 years and probably never will be.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Clearly they didn't know what they were doing. None of those tweets appear to be racist, misogynistic or homophobic.

Amateurs.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Clearly they didn't know what they were doing. None of those tweets appear to be racist, misogynistic or homophobic.

Amateurs.

Nah, they only got to that in the comic a few years later.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Thanks to @akajaybay for sending me Shadow of War out of nowhere!

Amusingly it's so large that I can't install it right now because Steam doesn't realize my steam folder is a soft link :evil:

Thanks a bunch :)

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

Amateurs.

I feel like I'm missing something here

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

Amateurs.

On occasion something is said or done in the comic that offends any particular set of people, and in the cases where it directly or tangentially mocks rape victims or minorities or the like, they get justifiable kickback.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

What's the over/under on number of hours before, "what a shitty Rimworld clone!" in the reviews?

Imma go with "as soon as it went up on the store."

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular

Just throwing my two cents (Kiwibucks, they're called) in here, but as a developer - the user interface for DF may be appalling, but the underlying mechanisms of the game itself are complete insanity. It's absurdly complex - and the systems work together in some of the most odd ways - but they consistently work together. In what other game does the patch note
    Cats dying for no reason - alcohol poisoning?
    come up, and it turns out the reason is that the Dwarfs were spilling beer in the bar, the cats were licking themselves, getting drunk, and have their alcohol tolerance for body weight set too low, and end up dying as a result?

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »

Just throwing my two cents (Kiwibucks, they're called) in here, but as a developer - the user interface for DF may be appalling, but the underlying mechanisms of the game itself are complete insanity. It's absurdly complex - and the systems work together in some of the most odd ways - but they consistently work together. In what other game does the patch note
    Cats dying for no reason - alcohol poisoning?
    come up, and it turns out the reason is that the Dwarfs were spilling beer in the bar, the cats were licking themselves, getting drunk, and have their alcohol tolerance for body weight set too low, and end up dying as a result?

* Adjusted value of bees

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Alright guys, 2 days left and so far I've got 2 entrants so your odds are great, and a $5 donation not only gets you a chance at winning some Steam bucks but also helps kids that find their way to Childrens' Hospital Colorado. If you're interested, click here, donate $5 or more, enter 'Justin Last' in the 'USTC Student's Name' field, and then PM me some proof. I'll draw Saturday afternoon and let the winner know. Thanks!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Amateurs.

On occasion something is said or done in the comic that offends any particular set of people, and in the cases where it directly or tangentially mocks rape victims or minorities or the like, they get justifiable kickback.

I don't know about other cases, but the dickwolves comic was more about G&T's response than the comic itself. The comic was making a specific point and some people responded to entirely different things. G&T then proceeded to earn the bad publicity on their own.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Alright guys, 2 days left and so far I've got 2 entrants so your odds are great, and a $5 donation not only gets you a chance at winning some Steam bucks but also helps kids that find their way to Childrens' Hospital Colorado. If you're interested, click here, donate $5 or more, enter 'Justin Last' in the 'USTC Student's Name' field, and then PM me some proof. I'll draw Saturday afternoon and let the winner know. Thanks!

I'm glad you reposted this because I completely forgot about it. What's your goal this year?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    Finally started Slay the Spire last night. A few games later, normal mode beat with the Ironclad. It sure is addictive. It had enough hooks to keep me coming back and playing it. I'll keep playing it on and off every now and then. Thanks again to @Orivon for Slay the Spire!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Talus9952 wrote: »
    Finally started Slay the Spire last night. A few games later, normal mode beat with the Ironclad. It sure is addictive. It had enough hooks to keep me coming back and playing it. I'll keep playing it on and off every now and then. Thanks again to @Orivon for Slay the Spire!

We have a very active StS thread. Come and join us for protips and strats for all your spire slaying needs!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Damn it @Stabbity Style stop playing games that are also on my backlog before I can get to them. It already happened with Chuchel, and I was planning to do Jotun next but you're probably about to finish that up too based on your play time. I mean, there's nothing stopping me from going ahead as planned. It just feels wrong, somehow.

Grrrrr. :P

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    Damn it @Stabbity Style stop playing games that are also on my backlog before I can get to them. It already happened with Chuchel, and I was planning to do Jotun next but you're probably about to finish that up too based on your play time. I mean, there's nothing stopping me from going ahead as planned. It just feels wrong, somehow.

Grrrrr. :P

Do it! It's hard.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Q.U.B.E. Director's Cut is donezo! How 'bout a review while I download QUBE 2?

---
    header.jpg?t=1522154771
    Q.U.B.E. Director's Cut: Quick Understanding of Block Extrusion, Now With Story! Edition.

Continuing in the vein of first-person puzzle-platform games popularized by Portal, Q.U.B.E. begins by living up to its name: your gloves give you the ability to extrude the colored blocks out of the walls that surround you. There are red blocks that can be extended up to three lengths and retracted back, yellow blocks that rise in sets of three whose height is determined by where in the three you click and blue blocks which can be squashed down and spring out when you or something else contacts it. As you continue, additional mechanics are introduced that pull the attention away from pure extrusion: a rolling physics ball that can change colors; "magnet" buttons used to push, pull and levitate floating blocks; and rotatable lasers which can be colored or have blocks moved over then. All told, the puzzles on display in the "main" game were a bit simple but almost all satisfying, pending one I got caught up on due to physics not playing nice. (It gives the achievement for "beating the hardest puzzle" for exactly the wrong reason, especially since I beat it quick after coming back the next night.)

I hear the original release of Q.U.B.E. did not have a story, but the Director's Cut does. You are an astronaut of some kind who has awoken on some kind of alien spaceship, on a course to doom the Earth unless you can stop it. As you progress, another voice pops up on the line claiming the whole thing is a hoax and you're just a rat in an underground maze. The whole thing comes to a head at the end, making you ask whether the escape is worth it. The story is neat but just a bit obnoxious when all you want is to hit the next puzzle.

All in all, I'm very glad I got around to playing it. I'm trying to remember if someone gifted it to me. Certainly, I was gifted Q.U.B.E. 2 and am installing it now!

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Woo, thanks for the reminder :D

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    https://mobile.twitter.com/duvalmagic/status/1070125621785714688

Prelude to an Epic Store exclusive Borderlands 3 announcement?

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    https://mobile.twitter.com/duvalmagic/status/1070125621785714688

Prelude to an Epic Store exclusive Borderlands 3 announcement?

Poor @Iolo :)

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    In case there was any doubt left about Randy Pitchford being a tool...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    As someone who loved Borderlands 1 2 and pre-sequel, and lover of all coop in general, thats a real kick in the dick. Oh well, I can live without it. I won't support having LESS options to purchase games.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Talk about a Sophie's choice...
    I kid obviously. (And to the extent I'm not kidding, my current affinity for BATTLETECH is the methadone to any Borderlands addiction.)

It does, suck though. If I were to decide that my love of Borderlands outweighs my desire not to open an Epic account, some non-zero and potentially large number of my BL1, BL2 and TPS coop buddies aren't going to make the same decision. It's going to split the community one way or the other, which is a bummer no matter how you feel about the merits of the Epic store good/Epic store not good debate.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Ah, the "homework assigner" approach. Okay.

hey, I resent the cheapshot and the cheerleaders

You were the one asking me, I wasn't trying to convince anyone anymore. I just pointed the way.

Honestly, I don't care if you or anyone agree with me anymore. If I went the trouble of writing up a long article about how steam is shit (or any other subject), you'd just look for holes to poke to assert already established and entrenched opinions. I can't be arsed to engage this song and dance anymore, because it's just gonna become more and more aggressive and pissy and no one will be none the wiser and nothing will be gained. We'll just waste hours trying to come up with smart ass bullshit.

There are a lot of articles arguing just that, that steam sucks, so if you actually want to be informed on the opposing stance it's pretty damn easy. If you don't, then this is a good place to stop.

So sure, I concede, you're 100% right, steam is just peachy. And whatever smart sting you come up with after this is one hundred percent smarter than me, you're the victor, please take the spoils.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

They won't finish/follow up on Brothers in Arms? I'm already there.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Well, I can now see the sky lighting up out my window. But it is done. Again.

---
    header.jpg?t=1537966294
    Q.U.B.E. 2: Quicker Understanding of Block Extrusion...er.

Q.U.B.E. 2 is a first-person puzzle-platformer which involves selecting areas on the cubic walls and "extruding" them out into the space where they can be used. Clear panels can be turned to one of three colors which affect how the extruded blocks perform: blue panels are jump pads, sending you or other objects flying; red panels extend into a three-block column, useful for climbing or pushing objects around; green panels generate a hard-light cube, movable by the other panels and frequently used as stepping stones.

Contrary to the first game's too-frequent deviations from the core extrusion mechanic, Q.U.B.E. 2 merely pulls you aside for a minute to introduce you to new ideas before adding them into the mix. Every new thing you learn is used extensively from that point forward, the final puzzle being a culmination of everything you've used up to that point. From oil slicks and spherical marbles to rotatable platforms and magnet panels, new mechanics don't take long to become intuitive.

For those interested, the story is basically a follow-up to that of the first game's Director's Cut. You and your expeditionary comrade awaken in a massive construct composed of cubes far more detailed that that of the first Q.U.B.E.. The tone is mysterious, exploratory, abstract and surreal, with the familiar amnesia situation and hints of an idealism versus pragmatism conflict sprinkled throughout.

All told, a very solid game of its type that I played in a single, almost six hour, sitting. I just wish I didn't have *stuff* to do today.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    So I went against my own inner voice and tried for three keys on the Fanatical gambling thing. Got a game that I have no intention of ever playing so wanted to gift it away here to someone who would want to play it.

The first person to send me a PM with a message of your favorite food gets a copy of Call of Duty 2.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Betsuni wrote: »
    The first person to send me a PM with a message of your favorite food gets a copy of Call of Duty 2.

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    From the high to the low: the job offer may be rescinded. They cannot confirm my education. Without it, there is nothing left for me to do.

• Options
    From the high to the low: the job offer may be rescinded. They cannot confirm my education. Without it, there is nothing left for me to do.

Nooooooooooooooooo!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

I've been saying it for years! In every other universe Randy Pitchford toils away in obscurity, his crowning achievement being getting promoted to part time shift manager at a KFC, but this is a fluke universe and we have to occasionally deal with the fallout of his terrible choices as a result.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I'm glad you reposted this because I completely forgot about it. What's your goal this year?
    Each of us are trying to get $50. I've got $40, and the kids each have zero still. In their defense we're having a blizzard and we won't let them go door to door when the drifts are taller than they are.

camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.