As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Truly this has been the final fantasy

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Hmmm, the FinFan games I've beaten
    I (GBA)
    II (GBA)
    III (DS)
    IV (GBA)
    VII (PS and Steam)
    VIII (Steam)
    XII (PS2)
    XIII (360)
    XIV ...until July (PC)

V and X are the ones I've played the most of without beating and I've seen most of X's story including the ending

I think I might like this series

Care Free Bomb on
    8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    v has a really nice ending

it's the saturday morning cartoon of finfans

Beasteh on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I've never played Mystic Quest but the amount of shit it got always made me want to defend it. I should really give it a try sometime

it's "fine"

it's barely an rpg and doesn't share anything with other finfans (it was only released as a finfan in the states)

it's greatest sin is that it is so pared down that it lacks any real identity

It has some okay dungeon puzzles, catchy battle music, and it's neat how all the enemies have 2 or more sprites depending on their HP% .

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    FinFans i have beaten.

FinFans I have gotten like 80- 95% through before running out of steam.

FinFans I can't make it past the beginning of the second disc

FinFans with the best Piano Collection album

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I played 7, 8, 12, 13, and 15 and quit on them early, but beat 9 and 10.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I only beat 2. Only 2.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    i'm pretty sure ff12 actually ends at Mt Bur-Omisace, given my inability to continue a playthrough the four times i've gotten there

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited March 2019
    i'm pretty sure ff12 actually ends at Mt Bur-Omisace, given my inability to continue a playthrough the four times i've gotten there

I always get to the forest with all the bunny ladies and think “welp, all downhill from here, this is clearly the best this game is getting” then lose all motivation to play further

Whippy on
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    My favourite Final Fantasy post-PS1 era is Lost Odyssey. It’ll never get the rerelease treatment with ease of use features and a fresh coat of paint, but I bet it’d sell pretty well if it did.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    1, 4, 5 & 6

Does spending thousands of dollars on pulls in FFRK and FFBE count?

• Options
    realtalk the best final fantasy is vagrant story

i have yet to find a jrpg with better localization (accurate medieval english!!)

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I've beat all the numbered FFs except for 3, 4, and 10.

You can't really beat an MMO, but I do stay caught up on 14 so that's basically the same thing.

I should go back to 10 sometime. I got stuck on the Seymour fight on top of the mountain when I played it way back when and never picked it back up.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    I've beat all the numbered FFs except for 3, 4, and 10.

You can't really beat an MMO, but I do stay caught up on 14 so that's basically the same thing.

I should go back to 10 sometime. I got stuck on the Seymour fight on top of the mountain when I played it way back when and never picked it back up.

Just watch the super best friends racist wakka compilation

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    the two best final fantasies feature a train

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

So... 6 and 8?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    I've played X like, three times and every time I stop shortly after getting Shiva and I don't know why

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options

So... 6 and 8?

bingo

all hail doomtrain

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

So... 6 and 8?

bingo

all hail doomtrain

Choo choo motherfuckers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09EWchLSeH4

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I played 8 without a guide or the internet and never figured out the whole loading up on magic thing so boss fights took 5 hours because I had to whittle everyone down with the puniest damage you can imagine

It was great

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    my only exposure to him is from a raid in 14, but kefka doesn't seem like he's any good at actually being a clown

dude just straight up isn't very funny

• Options
    edited March 2019
    He's not haha funny he's deeply unsettling

Magitek infusion drove him insane

He's more like the Mark Hamill Joker

Beasteh on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I liked Final Fantasy 13 a lot. Despite the 20 hour intro and the couple super annoying characters. Fang is just the best, and I really liked the combat system.

13-2 was terrible. I never bothered trying 13-3.

• Options
    I started with VIII so my memories of it are extremely rose tinted

Then I played VII then after that IX and X came out

IX is my favourite FF because it is a love letter to the classic FFs and it's a beautiful interactive visual novel

Also chocobo hot and cold is the best minigame

(Triple Triad is the best card game though)

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    my only exposure to him is from a raid in 14, but kefka doesn't seem like he's any good at actually being a clown

dude just straight up isn't very funny
    Gilgamesh, on the other hand, is hilarious.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Been replaying 9 on Switch, really enjoying it. It's always probably been my favorite but its really nice to see it actually holds up super well for the most part. This was the first game I felt compelled to try to 100%. Spent lots of time on the dial-up looking things up. Chocobos, optional bosses, all the cards...you name it, I probably did it.

And speaking of optional bosses...i just got to the second and final chance to fight...Tantarian? I think that's the name. The book demon. Let's see how it goes.

Also, replaying 9 has totally reinvigorated my old love of FF that the last few mainline games squashed, so...I started playing 14. Hot damn that's a lot of game. I've always wanted to play the online entries but couldn't ever make it work until now. I'm pretty hyped, it's really fun.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    My FF experience:
    • Crystal Chronicles: This game fucking owns, played it with a friend of mine in high school
    • VIII: I played like the first half of the first disc after I got my PS1 like 15 years ago. I hated it and my disc was all fucked up, every cutscene slowed to a crawl and stuttered a bunch.
    • XI: I downloaded a trial of this (had to go overnight, took like 13 hours) and played it for about 20 minutes, I had no idea what to do and got lost instantly. This was my first MMO experience.
    • XV: I bought this on a Steam sale just because I was so intrigued by it. I've been playing it on and off, need to get back to it. I really like it, I think? I like the characters, and the car trip theme is neat, but there's too much traveling and the combat is either set to "cakewalk" or "fuck you and die" seemingly at random
    • XIV: I played a trial of this last year, and got a free copy from the Twitch Prime promo last month. I really liked it! I got my character, a sweet cat boy, up to level 50 Bard and 45 Warrior. Got through the Main Story Quest for the base game, and then a bit of the way through the next part of the story in between ARR and Heavensward. There's just way way way too much filler content, forcing you to go through the story is just super boring. It finally got good in like the last 5 levels. Also, a sub fee means I probably won't be playing it :(

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    World of Final Fantasy is great and it makes me laugh a lot

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I don't care what the OP says, Tactics is great. Favorite FF.

....though I don't think I'd have the patience to play it these days.

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I think, for good or ill, FF IV and VI are probably my biggest influence to how I approach game feel and storytelling in tabletop RPGs as a GM.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    My hot take: FF13-2 is very good and the other two 13s are awful. 13-2 is basically is all of 13 had been the end game of 13. Story is a bit meh, but the gameplay loop and combat stays fun throughout.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Favorite Final Fantasy game without the words Final Fantasy in the name
    GO

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    I feel like I’m one bad day away from trying to play ff xi again

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I've only beaten one final Fantasy

It was 9

• Options
    Let's see how this list turns out.

* Final Fantasy I: I had this, but I don't think I beat it? At least I don't remember beating it.
    * Final Fantasy II: Was on the same GBA cart as FF1, I also don't think I ever beat it.
    * Final Fantasy VI: I got to Kefka's Tower in WoR and then stopped because I really do not like "SPLIT THE PARTY" things and only maybe four people were any good on my teams.
    * Final Fantasy VII: Played it, beat it, 100%'d it way back when there was no trophy for doing so. Goddamn do I love this game for all its faults, the Materia system was just so much fun.
    * Final Fantasy VIII: I'll be honest, I only advanced the story so I could play more Triple Triad. As far as I'm concerned the entire game is about saving the world through playing a children's card game.
    * Final Fantasy IX: I played this, but I can't even remember how far I got. I think I remember Bahamut vs Alexander?
    * Final Fantasy X: Played it, beat it, had a lot of fun once Tidus stopped being a colossal idiot. Still an idiot, but he tries. Currently about 1/4 through the International version which is way more fun.
    * Final Fantasy X-2: No.
    * Final Fantasy XII: Ergh. I wanted to like it, but boy this game did not want me to. Spent an afternoon stuck in the Great Crystal, finally emerge with tons of loots and Espers later, then got told I'm going to Pharos Lighthouse and stopped caring.
    * Final Fantasy XIII: I didn't mind the "tutorial" part of the game! Was some interesting worldbuilding and character development, though I fail to see why Lightning is so highly regarded. Never finished it because endgame is dumb.
    * Final Fantasy XIV: If it wasn't an MMO I would play it way more than I did, but it is and so I cannot allow myself to. Fantasy music, good story, good characters, I had a lot of fun and don't regret my time spent. Red Mage is best.
    * Final Fantasy Type-0: I had fun with it. I think? Can't really remember it much to be honest, but I do remember going into a mission I had no business surviving and getting through it by abusing Killshots.
    * Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: So many good memories of playing this game with friends using our GBA's and the Link Cables. Never did finish it, but I got mostly through the last boss solo before dying.
    * Final Fantasy Tactics: I nuked myself on my first real battle because I didn't understand spell timers. And that's about all I remember playing.
    * Final Fantasy Tactics Advance: Marche did nothing wrong. Never beat it, but that's mostly because I drifted away from the grid-based stuff pretty quickly.
    * Final Fantasy Record Keeper: Avoid at all costs, so much regret, so much time lost, nothing can ever be regained and it all fades away like dust in the meta.
    * Final Fantasy Brave Exvius: Why.
    * World of Final Fantasy: Switched to JP voices and had a much better time with Tama's vocal tic. Decent story, great characters, lots of amusement, never did finish it though.
    * Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call: Very yes, but man fuck that highest difficulty. My poor fingers. I guess I kind of "beat" it? Just ignore that highest difficulty.
    * Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2: Fuck you I'm counting it.

• Options
    Bonus Round, I actually had Final Fantasy: Unlimited and watched it.

I still don't remember how it's in any way connected to Final Fantasy

• Options
    Whippy wrote: »

don't do it

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Whippy wrote: »

don't do it

One of these days it’s going to go away forever and then there will be a numbered final fantasy whose story I had never and will never be able to experience

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    FFTA2 got a weird online epilogue where nobody but Luso is satisfied.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Bonus Round, I actually had Final Fantasy: Unlimited and watched it.

I still don't remember how it's in any way connected to Final Fantasy

It's got final fantasy stuff like chocobos, spell names, summon names/designs. So about as much as any two games are connected.

I always thought the gun summoning thing was cool and wished it would have made it into a game somehow.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    I started with VIII so my memories of it are extremely rose tinted

Then I played VII then after that IX and X came out

IX is my favourite FF because it is a love letter to the classic FFs and it's a beautiful interactive visual novel

Also chocobo hot and cold is the best minigame

(Triple Triad is the best card game though)

VIII still have the best music among the ffs followed closely by X