As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Daylight Satans Time

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I don't care which schedule we are on, but we should pick one and never swap.
    Sounds like you might be happy on Venus, Kaplar. A venitian day is 116.75 earth days.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    We should be on Standard Time all the time. That's why it's called Standard Time.
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Yo are we not going to talk about how Marmaduke is yellow?

That is a generous interpretation of “yellow”.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Sounds like you might be happy on Venus, Kaplar. A venitian day is 116.75 earth days.

That sounds like the opposite of what I'd like.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    We should be on Standard Time all the time. That's why it's called Standard Time.
    pretty sure i nodded off driving this morning because it takes me almost a month of feeling like i got run over by a steamroller to adjust to DST.

i fucking hate daylight savings time so much.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    pretty sure i nodded off driving this morning because it takes me almost a month of feeling like i got run over by a steamroller to adjust to DST.

Could you just go to bed an hour earlier?

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

Well see there's this thing called a circadian rhythm and

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Xaquin wrote: »

i can be in bed an hour earlier.

that's a different question from the real one of can i sleep an hour earlier, and the answer, 31 years running, is no.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I'm torn on the whole thing because on the one hand, I love having more sunlight after work (note that this is the important thing: not what the clock says, but the schedules that are imposed on our lives by institutions we can't control, so all y'all correctly pointing out that the sun doesn't change can stop being silly geese please), but on the other hand having more sunlight before school and college classes is a legitimate safety issue.

Honestly I think the real problem is that 8 hour work days are stupid, and forcing everyone to keep the same schedule is really stupid.

This from someone whose biological day runs from noon to 2am standard, mind you. Just let me sleep.

• Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    Is there a push to dump DST and then adjust all time zones by half an hour?

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I like waking up to darkness and having the sun shine until late in the evening. Get on DST and stick with it!
    Seg wrote: »
    Is there a push to dump DST and then adjust all time zones by half an hour?

That would be disastrous unless it was a worldwide effort (and it would not be).

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I dunno if it would be disastrous, but it would be disruptive.

There do currently exist time zones on half-hour offsets

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I like waking up to darkness and having the sun shine until late in the evening. Get on DST and stick with it!
    Yeah, I know about the couple of those that there are, but I feel like trying to do it on a large scale would be very confusing for a lot of people. Not a lot of folks have to do regular communication with Newfoundland, y'know? When that becomes all of your international communications all of a sudden, you're dealing with a much larger disruption.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    India has a half-hour offset as well. They seem to be doing fine.

I don't really care what the solution ends up being, I just want to stop switching.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    I dunno if it would be disastrous, but it would be disruptive.

There do currently exist time zones on half-hour offsets

I live in one. 8-)

It's pointless except for the superiority we feel by having our own half hour timezone.

I don't like the changing of clocks but I like DST because I like a sunny evening.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I've never found the clocks changing to be that big a deal, like with making me more tired or whatever. But I tend to get pretty inconsistent amounts of sleep as standard so maybe that's why.

• Options
    (In this post, I'm using clock time as shorthand for school, work, business, and other schedules relative to sunrise and sunset.)

I was curious, so I looked it up: where I live, the sun rises around 7:30 am and sets around 4:30 pm near the winter solstice. Near the summer solstice, sunrise and sunset on standard time would be around 6 am and 6 pm, respectively. On DST, those times are 7 am and 7 pm.

I really don't want 6 pm sunsets in summer, and I think most people would rather enjoy long summer evenings than get up at the crack of dawn... but I also don't think it would be reasonable to push sunrise any later in winter, because you don't want kids to have to get up well before sunrise for a number of reasons (not that they don't already, but still).

I think the most humane and healthy thing for most people would be to double the number of timezones and peg sunrise to the same time year round... which is completely infeasible. It would require a massive restructuring of how our society works. Plus, you'd need latitudinal as well as longitudinal timezones.

There's got to be a way for the clock to serve humans, rather than the other way around :sad:

• Options
    edited March 2019
    My school day in high school started at 7:25 AM. I had to catch the bus at 6:30.

I was getting up in the dark regardless.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    My school day in high school started at 7:25 AM. I had to catch the bus at 6:30.

I was getting up in the dark regardless.

Starting school that early for teens is criminal because they're wired to be night owls, but that's a whole different problem.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I remember reading about a Canadian metastudy last year (that I can't seem to find right now) that found the only measurable difference made by daylight saving was an increase in motor vehicle accidents in the week or so after each change.

There is no measurable increase in exercise, no change in power usage, no extra productivity or growth in the economy, no extra time spent outside, no health benefits or detriments, no change in crime or safety (aside from the aforementioned accidents)

It's legislation based on the fact that some people like it. It's not good for society at all and in some ways it's bad for it.

In conclusion
    https://youtu.be/vkCGU4CNfXw

#pipe on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    who likes it tho

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    who likes it tho

There is a poll thread on these very forums that's capable of providing you that information

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Straightzi wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    who likes it tho

There is a poll thread on these very forums that's capable of providing you that information

I mean, yes, I too would like Larlar as our official mechanism for time.

But gaming web forums jokey options aside, it's an astonishingly small amount of people who would probably be alright with not having it as well. I don't really see anyone coming to the defense of the switch just rather "momentum" keeping it as is. The people who are in favor of keeping it are a rounding error and will absolutely be able to function if we stop and just like some side tangential benefits because they might live in a crusty environment or something.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Nah man, people actually like it.

There are referenda on the issue pretty often around the world and places where there is no dst have decent votes to adopt it.

Lots of folks claim the benefits and want more sunlight.

• Options
    that's cool I just want one or the other, pick the one with more sunlight if it helps us stop switching and me feeling like shit for like 3 days after it

"jUsT gO To bEd eARliEr" isn't helpful

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I like it when I notice it. It's a reminder that time is arbitrary.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    There's a decent chance that by next year the entire US West coast will be on permanent DST. California passed a bill in November and Oregon and Washington both have legislation in progress. Right now the federal government only allows states to opt in to permanent Standard time, so it'll have to go through Congress before anything is formalized, but there's at least some hope that we can get out of this hellish spring forward/fall back nonsense.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    HeadCreeps wrote: »
    Abolish time

The past, the present, the future, indivisible!

whatever you say, ultimecia

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Well then why didn't they write the bill(s) to opt in to permanent Standard time instead of permanent Daylight time? Then they could be done already instead of having to wait for additional permission.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that's a great question, sabre

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Well then why didn't they write the bill(s) to opt in to permanent Standard time instead of permanent Daylight time? Then they could be done already instead of having to wait for additional permission.

I don't have polling data to prove that DST is more popular, so I'm just going to assume that they did it specifically to make me happy.

• Options
    ST seems more popular here but I don't know how well that tracks outside of the forums.

• Options
    Here's the best story I've found on this thus far. Includes a link to an economic study that goes deep on why it makes more sense to be permanent DST rather than Standard time. Money quote from the abstract of that study:

"Studies show that year-round daylight saving time has several significant advantages, including a decrease in motor vehicle and pedestrian fatalities, energy savings from reduced peak electricity demands, and a potential decrease in crime. Additionally, year-round daylight saving time avoids negative effects caused by the current spring and fall time changes. Finally, year-round daylight saving time does not endanger school children, and its benefits outweigh other notable disadvantages."

So that's why, I guess.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    It's because people like sunlight after work.

Also, re: federal bill, because FL is asking for it, Rubio has actually already introduced a federal bill for it.

The fact that he was the one to do so is the only thing giving me pause.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    The best thing about summer in the UK is sitting in a pub garden until it gets dark at 10pm, so if we ever get rid of BST it would be a sad sad day.

• Options
    i'm always confused how people publish studies saying daylight savings saves energy. my lights use basically nothing, running my AC for the "extra" hour i'm home from work is far more energy. seems a very outdated notion that at best breaks even.

my brain gets so fucked up by the morning light being different and i can't sleep and ugh it's just so fucking bad. i've nodded off at my desk a few times already today.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    The energy costs are mostly negligible from what I've read.

The real kicker is that there's always an uptick in accidents and such centered around the spring forward switch because of the "loss" of the hour.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    India has a half-hour offset as well. They seem to be doing fine.

I don't really care what the solution ends up being, I just want to stop switching.

I'm going to pull the "I read something about this recently but I can't find the source right now" thing and say that I'm pretty sure I read something about this recently and there's a push in India to split the country into two timezones because a) the half-hour offset is weird and b) it also has the effect of screwing over the places on either extreme of the country, which is about 1800 miles across.

Here's a Wikipedia link last updated two years ago, though I thought I'd read something more recently.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Standard_Time#Criticism_and_proposals

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    This year my allergies are in overdrive which is gonna add insult to injury when I have to wake up at 5 AM real time tomorrow morning

Happy fucked off sleep schedule everyone!

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    We passed a bill in California last year, what's the holdup?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Swapping between two different time zones caused an issue for a spreadsheet I designed recently

I had to add a work flow to update the local time zone twice a year so that the end users were able to access the right data at the right time

If we get rid of Daylight Savings, all of that work will have been for nothing

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]