As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Cambridge Analytica], [Facebook], and Data Security.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    https://www.computerweekly.com/news/252458208/Facebook-planned-to-spy-on-Android-phone-users-internal-emails-reveal

Burn it down.
    Facebook project teams developed technology to allow the company to track the location of its customers from their mobile phones.

Documents seen by Computer Weekly also reveal plans by Facebook to pass data on single Facebook users to companies selling dating services and organisations that wanted to target them with ‘political’ advertisements.

The documents, marked confidential, reveal a secret programme by Facebook’s ‘Growth Team’ to collect and exploit data from customers with Android mobile phones.

Their disclosure comes only a week after a critical report by a UK parliamentary committee investigating disinformation and fake news, called for independent regulator to oversee Facebook and other social media companies.

The documents form an unpublished part of a cache siezed when the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee dispatched Parliament’s serjeant-at-arms to arrest Ted Kramer, founder of Six4Three, in the wake of the Cambridge Analytica scandal. Kramer was forced to hand over hundreds of legal documents disclosed in his company’s lawsuit with Facebook.

According to internal emails published on Github, Facebook planned to use its Android app to match users’ location data with mobile phone base station IDs to deliver “location-aware” products.

Marne Lynn Levine, then vice president of global public policy, disclosed Facebooks plans to exploit data from Android phones in an email in 2012.

Absolutely guarantee that we'll find out that the facebook app using the microphone in peoples' phones to listen for advertising purposes will be intentional too. There's a reason I uninstalled that shit.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yeah I uninstalled the Facebook app a long time ago.

• Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    https://www.computerweekly.com/news/252458208/Facebook-planned-to-spy-on-Android-phone-users-internal-emails-reveal

Burn it down.
    Facebook project teams developed technology to allow the company to track the location of its customers from their mobile phones.

Documents seen by Computer Weekly also reveal plans by Facebook to pass data on single Facebook users to companies selling dating services and organisations that wanted to target them with ‘political’ advertisements.

The documents, marked confidential, reveal a secret programme by Facebook’s ‘Growth Team’ to collect and exploit data from customers with Android mobile phones.

Their disclosure comes only a week after a critical report by a UK parliamentary committee investigating disinformation and fake news, called for independent regulator to oversee Facebook and other social media companies.

The documents form an unpublished part of a cache siezed when the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee dispatched Parliament’s serjeant-at-arms to arrest Ted Kramer, founder of Six4Three, in the wake of the Cambridge Analytica scandal. Kramer was forced to hand over hundreds of legal documents disclosed in his company’s lawsuit with Facebook.

According to internal emails published on Github, Facebook planned to use its Android app to match users’ location data with mobile phone base station IDs to deliver “location-aware” products.

Marne Lynn Levine, then vice president of global public policy, disclosed Facebooks plans to exploit data from Android phones in an email in 2012.

Absolutely guarantee that we'll find out that the facebook app using the microphone in peoples' phones to listen for advertising purposes will be intentional too. There's a reason I uninstalled that shit.

I guess, since I'm a software guy, if they did it that way to get around some of Android's wall gardens. In some ways that seems to be the lazy way to do things. Do we know if they were/are doing the same on the iPhone?

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    And in unsurprising yet infuriating news, Facebook had an extensive global anti-data privacy lobbying program:
    Facebook has targeted politicians around the world – including the former UK chancellor, George Osborne – promising investments and incentives while seeking to pressure them into lobbying on Facebook’s behalf against data privacy legislation, an explosive new leak of internal Facebook documents has revealed.

The documents, which have been seen by the Observer and Computer Weekly, reveal a secretive global lobbying operation targeting hundreds of legislators and regulators in an attempt to procure influence across the world, including in the UK, US, Canada, India, Vietnam, Argentina, Brazil, Malaysia and all 28 states of the EU.

Facebook delenda est.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    And in unsurprising yet infuriating news, Facebook had an extensive global anti-data privacy lobbying program:
    Facebook has targeted politicians around the world – including the former UK chancellor, George Osborne – promising investments and incentives while seeking to pressure them into lobbying on Facebook’s behalf against data privacy legislation, an explosive new leak of internal Facebook documents has revealed.

The documents, which have been seen by the Observer and Computer Weekly, reveal a secretive global lobbying operation targeting hundreds of legislators and regulators in an attempt to procure influence across the world, including in the UK, US, Canada, India, Vietnam, Argentina, Brazil, Malaysia and all 28 states of the EU.

Facebook delenda est.

"Lobbying". Uh huh. That has "extortion" written all over it. "Well, you wouldn't want those dick pics that you sent to your mistress making the rounds, do you, Mr. Senator?".

TryCatcher on
  • evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »

Facebook delenda est.

"Lobbying". Uh huh. That has "extortion" written all over it. "Well, you wouldn't want those dick pics that you sent to your mistress making the rounds, do you, Mr. Senator?".

I don't see any personal extortion in there, just using Ireland's government as a secret lobbying group in exchange for keeping their headquarters in Dublin, and generally trading jobs for friendly legislation.

The DoJ has opened a criminal investigation of Facebook over their selling of user data:
    Federal prosecutors are conducting a criminal investigation into data deals Facebook struck with some of the world’s largest technology companies, intensifying scrutiny of the social media giant’s business practices as it seeks to rebound from a year of scandal and setbacks.

A grand jury in New York has subpoenaed records from at least two prominent makers of smartphones and other devices, according to two people who were familiar with the requests and who insisted on anonymity to discuss confidential legal matters. Both companies had entered into partnerships with Facebook, gaining broad access to the personal information of hundreds of millions of its users.

The companies were among more than 150, including Amazon, Apple, Microsoft and Sony, that had cut sharing deals with the world’s dominant social media platform. The agreements, previously reported in The New York Times, let the companies see users’ friends, contact information and other data, sometimes without consent. Facebook has phased out most of the partnerships over the past two years.

“We are cooperating with investigators and take those probes seriously,” a Facebook spokesman said in a statement. “We’ve provided public testimony, answered questions and pledged that we will continue to do so.”

• MorranMorran Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Oh, its cool now guys. Facebook will make privacy their main business from now on:

https://m.facebook.com/notes/mark-zuckerberg/a-privacy-focused-vision-for-social-networking/10156700570096634/

Zuckerberg, from above post:

"I understand that many people don't think Facebook can or would even want to build this kind of privacy-focused platform -- because frankly we don't currently have a strong reputation for building privacy protective services, and we've historically focused on tools for more open sharing."

Morran on
    Morran wrote: »
    Oh, its cool now guys. Facebook will make privacy their main business from now on:

https://m.facebook.com/notes/mark-zuckerberg/a-privacy-focused-vision-for-social-networking/10156700570096634/

Zuckerberg, from above post:

"I understand that many people don't think Facebook can or would even want to build this kind of privacy-focused platform -- because frankly we don't currently have a strong reputation for building privacy protective services, and we've historically focused on tools for more open sharing."

So for now on, he will have the privacy to stalk people he wants to date through the fact that they won't stand a chance of ever knowing until its way past too late.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Facebook had been allowing massive civil rights violations in its advertising, excluding people by race, gender, age, and other protected groups for employment, housing, and credit offers. They are supposed to stop that now as part of a settlement of several discrimination lawsuits from civil rights organizations. We'll see if they actually follow the settlement or go right back to allowing advertising directly to "Jew haters". I suspect the latter.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Facebook stored its passwords in plain text, for years which was accessible to 20,000 of its employees. They claim that there were no security breaches or misuse of the passwords, then state that 2000 of those employees did searches through the plain text passwords, with the earliest searches going back to 2012. Considering the history of all of Facebook's other misdeeds and coverups, we'll soon be finding out how extensively those were all abused.

If you can't delete Facebook for whatever reason, change your passwords even though it's probably too late to fix the damage.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Facebook stored its passwords in plain text, for years which was accessible to 20,000 of its employees. They claim that there were no security breaches or misuse of the passwords, then state that 2000 of those employees did searches through the plain text passwords, with the earliest searches going back to 2012. Considering the history of all of Facebook's other misdeeds and coverups, we'll soon be finding out how extensively those were all abused.

If you can't delete Facebook for whatever reason, change your passwords even though it's probably too late to fix the damage.

You would be astounded at the number of places storing your passwords in plain text.

It's worth remembering that one of the earliest abuses at Facebook was Zuckerberg using it to capture passwords belonging to members of the Harvard Crimson newspaper staff.

And people wonder why I don't trust him.

Sleep wrote: »

You would be astounded at the number of places storing your passwords in plain text.

Which is a practice that needs to be legislated out of existence (since it's pretty damn clear the tech industry won't do it voluntarily.) Get caught improperly storing passwords - you should get fined $10k.

Per password.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    There's pretty much no reason to be storing passwords as plain text strings anymore. It begs the question of whether you're competent enough in the first place.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Not sure if there's a better thread for this?
    In a major policy shift for the world’s biggest social media network, Facebook banned white nationalism and white separatism on its platform Tuesday. Facebook will also begin directing users who try to post content associated with those ideologies to a nonprofit that helps people leave hate groups, Motherboard has learned.

The new policy, which will be officially implemented next week, highlights the malleable nature of Facebook’s policies, which govern the speech of more than 2 billion users worldwide. And Facebook still has to effectively enforce the policies if it is really going to diminish hate speech on its platform. The policy will apply to both Facebook and Instagram.

Last year, a Motherboard investigation found that, though Facebook banned “white supremacy” on its platform, it explicitly allowed “white nationalism” and “white separatism.” After backlash from civil rights groups and historians who say there is no difference between the ideologies, Facebook has decided to ban all three, two members of Facebook’s content policy team said.

Specifically, Facebook will now ban content that includes explicit praise, support, or representation of white nationalism or separatism. Phrases such as “I am a proud white nationalist” and “Immigration is tearing this country apart; white separatism is the only answer” will now be banned, according to the company. Implicit and coded white nationalism and white separatism will not be banned immediately, in part because the company said it’s harder to detect and remove.

The decision was formally made at Facebook’s Content Standards Forum on Tuesday, a meeting that includes representatives from a range of different Facebook departments in which content moderation policies are discussed and ultimately adopted. Fishman told Motherboard that Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg was involved in the formulation of the new policy, though roughly three dozen Facebook employees worked on it.

e: Realized I left out the link https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/nexpbx/facebook-bans-white-nationalism-and-white-separatism

Jragghen on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I am no fan of facebook, and its easy to say "about fucking time," but I am glad they did this.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Stolen from reddit, but-

Facebook: "Please don't regulate us."

No-Quarter wrote: »
    Stolen from reddit, but-

Facebook: "Please don't regulate us."

I'm honestly surprised I don't see more conspiratorial nuttery about this, given how frequently in the past I've seen people drag up that link between Facebook's venture capital stint and the CIA's investment arm.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Is it just banning the phrase "white separatism", or is it banning the idea? After everything, I still wouldn't trust Zuckerberg not to split hairs down to the thinnest margin so as not to piss off too much of his user base, and just have them throw one sacrificial log up on the bonfire so they can keep all their other stuff.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Given that Facebook banning Alex Jones and Infowars was literally them banning the pages of Alex Jones and Infowars while turning a blind eye to other pages they know he owns and operates, I have no faith in their announcements.

sig.gif
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Apparently Facebook's now prompting some new users for the password of the email account they gave when they signed up. For convenience's sake, you see. So they can confirm that's really your email address. How nice of them!
    Just two weeks after admitting it stored hundreds of millions of its users’ own passwords insecurely, Facebook is demanding some users fork over the password for their outside email account as the price of admission to the social network.

Facebook users are being interrupted by an interstitial demanding they provide the password for the email account they gave to Facebook when signing up. “To continue using Facebook, you’ll need to confirm your email,” the message demands. “Since you signed up with [email address], you can do that automatically …”

A form below the message asked for the users’ “email password.”[/email]

And since they got caught with their hand in the cookie-jar again they're totally stopping this because it's not good ('cause no one internally thought of that and got shot down, right?)...
    In a statement emailed to The Daily Beast after this story published, Facebook reiterated its claim it doesn’t store the email passwords. But the company also announced it will end the practice altogether.

“We understand the password verification option isn’t the best way to go about this, so we are going to stop offering it,” Facebook wrote.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Burn it down and salt the earth. With cobalt.

That's so ludicrously indefensible I can't understand how anyone with the faintest inkling of best practices signed off on it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Richy wrote: »
    Given that Facebook banning Alex Jones and Infowars was literally them banning the pages of Alex Jones and Infowars while turning a blind eye to other pages they know he owns and operates, I have no faith in their announcements.

Given that they outright said that a white nationalist video from an avowed white nationalist is not "white nationalism":

Andy Campbell is a reporter for the Huffington Post.

Yes, this falls under "more Facebook CYA".

And Facebook is just dropping the pretense on being in bed with white supremacists:
    Facebook’s controversial factchecking program is partnering with the Daily Caller, a rightwing website that has pushed misinformation and is known for pro-Trump content.

The social network said Wednesday it had added CheckYourFact.com, which is part of the Daily Caller, as one of its US media partners in an initiative that has faced growing backlash from journalists and internal problems. The collaboration was first reported by Axios.

There is no way you can work with Tucker Carlson's empire and say that you are opposed to white supremacy.

Also, Facebook "accidentally" uploaded the email contacts of 1.5M users:
    Facebook harvested the email contacts of 1.5 million users without their knowledge or consent when they opened their accounts.

Since May 2016, the social-networking company has collected the contact lists of 1.5 million users new to the social network, Business Insider can reveal. The Silicon Valley company said the contact data was "unintentionally uploaded to Facebook," and it is now deleting them.

The revelation comes after pseudononymous security researcher e-sushi noticed that Facebook was asking some users to enter their email passwords when they signed up for new accounts to verify their identities, a move widely condemned by security experts. Business Insider then discovered that if you entered your email password, a message popped up saying it was "importing" your contacts without asking for permission first.

And because Facebook continues to possess a learning curve with a slope of zero, they refuse to remove a fake video claiming to show Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi inebriated in public:
    Despite the apparently malicious intent of the video’s creator, Facebook has said it will only downgrade its visibility in users’ newsfeeds and attach a link to a third-party fact checking site pointing out that the clip is misleading. As a result, although it is less likely to be seen by accident, the doctored video will continue to rack up views. Facebook only took the action following inquiries from the Washington Post, which first reported the story.
    A Facebook spokesperson said: “There’s a tension here: we work hard to find the right balance between encouraging free expression and promoting a safe and authentic community, and we believe that reducing the distribution of inauthentic content strikes that balance. But just because something is allowed to be on Facebook doesn’t mean it should get distribution. In other words, we allow people to post it as a form of expression, but we’re not going to show it at the top of News Feed.”

"Free expression"? This is fucking slander, and if it wasn't for Section 230 being blanket indemnification, Facebook would be on the hook here as well.

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    And Facebook is just dropping the pretense on being in bed with white supremacists:
    Facebook’s controversial factchecking program is partnering with the Daily Caller, a rightwing website that has pushed misinformation and is known for pro-Trump content.

The social network said Wednesday it had added CheckYourFact.com, which is part of the Daily Caller, as one of its US media partners in an initiative that has faced growing backlash from journalists and internal problems. The collaboration was first reported by Axios.

There is no way you can work with Tucker Carlson's empire and say that you are opposed to white supremacy.

This exactly what you are asking for when you argue that social media shouldn't care about freedom of speech and should police speech more agressively so this really shouldn't be a surprise.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    HamHamJ wrote: »

This exactly what you are asking for when you argue that social media shouldn't care about freedom of speech and should police speech more agressively so this really shouldn't be a surprise.

I don't see where saying "hey, perhaps social media should not be enabling white supremacists" means "social media should jump in bed with white supremacists".

I don't see where saying "hey, perhaps social media should not be enabling white supremacists" means "social media should jump in bed with white supremacists".

So you just want your ideology to be the one in control of censoring social media?

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

So you just want your ideology to be the one in control of censoring social media?

yes

because my ideology doesn't breed hate crimes

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

AngelHedgie's ideology is "I want everyone to know the truth", so yeah, I would want his ideology to be the one to control what is true or not. An ideology based upon hate of The Other can never ever be an impartial arbiter of truth.

Xaquin wrote: »

yes

because my ideology doesn't breed hate crimes

Or more to the point, if you're viewing this as just competing ideologies, you're missing the point. A large part of why we're at the place we're at is because we treated white supremacy as "just another ideology", instead of acknowledging and reacting to the hate it represents.

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Free speech needs to have a limit, and that limit needs to be backed up by legislation and consequences. Right now we're watching what happens when free speech is unchecked.

Hell, Canada stripped the citizenship of Ernst Zundel, who was a Holocaust denier who published and distributed his garbage. Zundel ended up in jail after he was deported back to his native Germany for his bullshit.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    Veevee wrote: »

AngelHedgie's ideology is "I want everyone to know the truth", so yeah, I would want his ideology to be the one to control what is true or not. An ideology based upon hate of The Other can never ever be an impartial arbiter of truth.

There is no such thing as an impartial arbiter of truth.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

sure there is. people state facts all the time. besides which, impartial or not, it's either the truth or it isn't.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

But abdicating judgement does not improve things. If we limply say "Who are we to say the Nazis do not have some valuable points?" then we are all fucked.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

Ok, but why does that mean we need to listen to the people adamant that the sky is green/is fake/is killing us and needs to be set on fire/other outrageous obviously untrue thing?

Yes, we've heard all the arguments for free speech absolutism. It's just that, after seeing the damage that free speech absolutism causes, they ring hollow. It turns out that when you say that there are no restrictions, what winds up happening is that hate crowds out other voices, forcing them out through fear and intimidation.

Yes, we've heard all the arguments for free speech absolutism. It's just that, after seeing the damage that free speech absolutism causes, they ring hollow. It turns out that when you say that there are no restrictions, what winds up happening is that hate crowds out other voices, forcing them out through fear and intimidation.

The alternative is that Facebook gets to decide what is real. Which is going to translate to what is in the interests of it's owners.