As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] We are that guy. He is us.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »
    Would anyone like to split two boxes of shadowspear? I'm gonna pre order mine from the war store.

The problem is what do you want from it?
    As I plan on getting the marines two more times but really cherry picking them as it's just for my kill team and black templars

Yea, it would have helped if I said what I wanted. My bad.

I want the Space Marine stuff to add to my Space Wolves.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Burnage wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    You're still going to be capped to gaining 1 CP per battle round though, right? That's okay but not that good.

I mean, chaos goes from gaining no cp a turn to 1cp. That’s uh... that’s quite important

Wait, did Chaos not have any ways to regain command points before this? That's kind of bullshit if so.

Second Codex, baby! The power creep is real.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I think I'm going to get a box for myself. It can sit on the shelf with the rest of the boxes I haven't found the time to paint yet.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Reader of Fate is not covered at all by Tactical Restraint. See below.
    TACTICAL RESTRAINT
    There are several Warlord Traits, Relics and abilities that give you a chance to gain or refund Command Points when you or your opponent either use a Stratagem or spend Command Points to use a Stratagem. In matched play games, each player can only gain or have refunded a total of one Command Point per battle round as the result of such rules, regardless of the source.

This does not apply to the Moment Shackle or the Seven-fold Chant abilities, or to or the Player of the Twilight Warlord Trait – in these cases, the ability/Warlord Trait can refund or gain the player more than 1 Command Point if the Stratagem used cost 2 or more Command Points to use, but once any Command Points have been gained as a result of the rule neither it, nor any similar rule, can be used to gain any more Command Points until the next battle round. Also note that this does not apply to Command Points that are gained or refunded as specifically instructed on Stratagems (e.g. Feeder Tendrils, Agents of Vect, etc.).

It is not gained based on a stratagem play. It is not one of the cancel or refund abilities. In fact the closest thing to it is the assassin one you gain 2 cp for killing a character.

So yes, you can get 2 cp a turn off it. At least right now RAW.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Whoah whoah whoah, hold on. Just listened to the winters codex review:
    Reader of Fate is: successfully cast a power, THEN ROLL A D6. on a 6, you get a command point.
    That's not broken at all, and actually kinda sucks ass.

website_header.jpg
    Finished magnetizing the weapons my battlesuits came with. Still not sure how to get a cyclic ion blaster or a airbursting fragmentation projector but I can figure that out later.
    c0WHDsG.jpg

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Finished magnetizing the weapons my battlesuits came with. Still not sure how to get a cyclic ion blaster or a airbursting fragmentation projector but I can figure that out later.
    c0WHDsG.jpg

Cyclic Ion blasters and airbursts only come in the commander kit. Which is a shame because Ion blasters are the best gun to put on a suit by miles and you want three per suit and four per commander.

Personally I used the Ion cannon from the riptide to give each suit a single huge shoulder mounted ion blaster instead of three seperate ones.

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I present to you sergeant Stabbo of the "holy shit he's got a knife" squad

20190312_235418.jpg
    20190312_235449.jpg
    20190312_235427.jpg
    20190312_235438.jpg

A bonus look: At a distance so you see less of my fuck ups!
    20190313_000259.jpg
    20190313_000519.jpg

I made this guy mostly for my kill team. A Reiver sergeant with the combat specialization gets 5 close combat attacks!

TheGerbil on
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    You should call him Sergeant Dundee.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    I really like that bright orange. Very cool.

The new Lord Discordant model is stunning.

Also it gives +1 to hit on deamon engines! Fucking finally I can run the all deamon engine list of my dreams.

Norgoth wrote: »

Also it gives +1 to hit on deamon engines! Fucking finally I can run the all deamon engine list of my dreams.

Quiet literally a game changer with defilers, maulerfiends, and forgefiends. New venomcrawler to.

Now that is an announcement I can get behind.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    That's quite a model. Lot to take in.

The Lord himself looks surprisingly subdued. Just a normal Marine with a coat and some mechandrites.

honovere wrote: »
    That's quite a model. Lot to take in.

The Lord himself looks surprisingly subdued. Just a normal Marine with a coat and some mechandrites.

Actually looks super Mechanicus. Like a beefed out Ranger.

u7stthr17eud.png
    edited March 2019

+++++ I am so happy about this. I've been waiting soooo long for a proper daemon engine HQ.
    I'm really looking forward to the new vigilus book, and the rumored daemon engine detachments/relics/strats/traits too.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    the important thing is that he is riding a giant mechano-chaos-squirrel

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I am so Death Guarding one of those guys up. Need to message my painter guys.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    I am so Death Guarding one of those guys up. Need to message my painter guys.

If they do it like the new daemonkin this will be for codex Chaos Space Marines not T-Sons or DG sadly. If I remember the reviews right they made shadowspear's chaos units a no go for both of those as well.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    If they do it like the new daemonkin this will be for codex Chaos Space Marines not T-Sons or DG sadly. If I remember the reviews right they made shadowspear's chaos units a no go for both of those as well.
    Not even 30 minutes of happiness. THANKS, MAZZYX.

I wonder why they're being that specific. OP reasons?

Keep the factions different? I kinda hate when there's tons of crossover like SM and CSM, because it leads to the "vanillia" faction always being the worst and most boring. All the fancy flavours get everything the vanillia gets, BUT MORE!

website_header.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    death guard daemon engines are busted as shit already

McGibs wrote: »
    Keep the factions different? I kinda hate when there's tons of crossover like SM and CSM, because it leads to the "vanillia" faction always being the worst and most boring. All the fancy flavours get everything the vanillia gets, BUT MORE!

This is true and fair enough.
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    death guard daemon engines are busted as shit already
    My entropy cannons hit on 4s, Pip. 4'S!

McGibs wrote: »

I think is it. They are making CSM less marines with spikes and more something unique. They leaning on this being more the Abbadon side compared to T-Sons and Death Guard which have a bunch of unique units and abilities already plus most of the CSM codex on top of it. And they want all of them to have their own unique strengths and play styles.

DG-Tough with a lot of toys to make them tougher. Good long range daemon engines and close range support.

T-Sons- Psykers, psyskers, more psykers. Tough as nails to small arms fire. Did I mention psykers?

CSM- Right now it is vanilla marines but spikes with some daemon engines. Now it seems to be leaning hard on daemonkin and daemon engines. More towards the dark mechanicus forgeworlds. Havocs, possessed, daemon engines, Abbadon, cultist. Stuff like that.

u7stthr17eud.png
    People sometimes ask why Space Wolves or Blood Angels can use the new Vanguard marines whilst TS and DG can't use the new chaos stuff. But remember SW and BA and DA have a waaaaaaaay more overlap with vanilla marines than DG and TS do with vanilla CSM.

DG and TS have a lot of unique shit.

You should call him Sergeant Dundee.

Would Baal or the planets around it be like the deserts of Australia? I know Catachan is jungle Australia...

I run these guys as Blood Angels.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    The complaining about what's in the box is getting a little ridiculous right now. I get that people are bummed about the mono-pose Marines and the sub-optimal loadouts, but come on.

I mean, the stuff in the box is primarily for the self-contained campaign and people who are interested in getting started. Boxed sets with multi-pose CSM are on the way, I wish they'd tone down the complaining about what's in this box. It's kind of killing my enthusiasm about getting back into 40k.

Its not the monopose. I think everyone expected that.

Its the rules.

Oblits are just a bit overpriced which hurts. Even with the buffs. It is just rough. For the same number of shots you are paying 40 points more now. And the increased toughness isn't really worth it.

Venomcrawler is fully built on the same issues as any daemon engine. Cost the same as a dread who gets legion traits, better shooting but is just a bit less tough without the daemon save. I love the model.

Normal marines are normal marines, good models and I am sure no one expected new rules there.

Greater possessed are good. I see a lot of really great uses. I use possessed as well. Good price for a hard hitting tough character that is decently fast and can beat most folks in close combat.

Master of Possession goes with the above. The spells are focused but has some good ones. I like the +1 to invulns. The rerolls are a bit less useful verse just a lord or in close combat a champ+apostle combo. His special rules are decent too. I see a few folks breaking stuff with him.

I think part of the issue is good units got kind of nerfed, great models though. The new combo-units are buffing meh units which aren't amazing even buffed. I love my possessed but Zerkers are still better point for point.

The big winner here is actually the new warlord traits. Especially if you can take them on a daemon prince. You can have a 11 str prince with 9 attacks if you build it right.

7 base+1 for slaanesh artifact+1 for the warlord trait+2 for daemon strength. So that is 11 str.

Then you have 4 base attacks+3 for dual talons+1 for slaanesh artifact+1 for daemonic strength.

All hitting on 2s, rerolling 1s, with -2 ap and 2 damage. That is a beast.

I get that rules are not super optimal, but I've seen the phrase "literally/completely unplayable" thrown around way too many times. I get the disappointment, but the reactions are a little out of proportion right now.

As someone who's had to play against obliterators quite a bit, I've long thought they were overcosted. But that's my opinion.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    Did anyone want to trade their Space Marine half of Shadowspear for the Chaos half of mine? I should be getting my pre order sometime next week and can mail them out.

I just bought 3 onagers and 3 sydonian dragoons for $200. (Each crawler is $66 retail and dragoons are $42 a pop).

All are built and well painted from a club bro. Also completely finishes my NoVA list except for stormbolter deathwatch.

And I have 8 bodies just need the storm bolters. So I am pretty set.

u7stthr17eud.png
    I wonder if for Kill Team elite they'll leave out elites from Dark Angels, Space Wolves and Blood Angels.

I imagine they will, its seems pretty focused on just a sort of vanilla experience for each faction (which I guess does make it easier to balance around what with the game lacking chapter and legion tactics).

I actually think that the new lord makes forgefiends actually worth considering.

You get for 160 points a model that’s equivalent toughness to an armiger, is cheaper. Has 8 str 8 shots -1 2dmg and d3 str7 -3 d3 dmg shots. It is slower, and does require the invest for the character (who is probably what? 160-190ish points?) but it’s a nice little gunline. Str 8 makes a big difference especially when you have access to demonforged. Plus three forgefiends with thier massive cannons arranged around thier demon riding lord is cool as fuuuuucckkk.

Throw in a MoP for 4++ and rerolls on 1’s and baby you got a stew going.

You know I’m going to play 2 of these dudes, 3 Forgefiends 3 maulerfiends and as many PBCs and drones as I can fit in an allied DG detachment (probably paint em all to match my DG)

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    I wonder if for Kill Team elite they'll leave out elites from Dark Angels, Space Wolves and Blood Angels.

I imagine they will, its seems pretty focused on just a sort of vanilla experience for each faction (which I guess does make it easier to balance around what with the game lacking chapter and legion tactics).

I could see wulfen kill teams but the rest i dont know

I actually think that the new lord makes forgefiends actually worth considering.

You get for 160 points a model that’s equivalent toughness to an armiger, is cheaper. Has 8 str 8 shots -1 2dmg and d3 str7 -3 d3 dmg shots. It is slower, and does require the invest for the character (who is probably what? 160-190ish points?) but it’s a nice little gunline. Str 8 makes a big difference especially when you have access to demonforged. Plus three forgefiends with thier massive cannons arranged around thier demon riding lord is cool as fuuuuucckkk.

Throw in a MoP for 4++ and rerolls on 1’s and baby you got a stew going.

You know I’m going to play 2 of these dudes, 3 Forgefiends 3 maulerfiends and as many PBCs and drones as I can fit in an allied DG detachment (probably paint em all to match my DG)

The more I play with the numbers the more Maulers look the way to go. If you can get them there. The PoM helps with the +1 invuln at least.

A forgefiend for a 160 points is going to take about 7 wounds off a rhino a turn or 4 wounds off a knight. Not including the character cost. Still not amazing. :(

u7stthr17eud.png
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

I could see wulfen kill teams but the rest i dont know

Kill Team is thematically very appropriate for Dark Angels. I actually bought a few Fallen/Dark Angels veterans sprues for this purpose. Knights would be very hard to deal with in KT though.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    Knights (and it seems like Daemons?) are clearly not for kill team. SoB will likely show up with their new codex

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Knights (and it seems like Daemons?) are clearly not for kill team. SoB will likely show up with their new codex

I'd bet solid money that there'll eventually be some kind of "The Righteous and The Heretic" expansion for Kill Team which contains rules for stuff like Daemons, Inquisition, and Sisters of Battle.

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    SoB will show up when their plastic models come out, which hopefully is at the same time as the Codex later this year.

It seems like a lot of inclusion in KT hinges on whether or not a plastic kit exists, Eldar especially have a lot of Aspect options that would work great and haven't been included because they're old models.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I really see GW redoing/rebooting the aspect warriors with the ynnari pamphlet

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    So, both of the last two Vigilus stories on the warhammer community site have been focused on the Sisters of Battle...

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I'm chomping at the bit for Vigilus Ablaze. I just want to see the Death Guard formation that hopefully makes Plague Marines a bit more competitive.

Looking back at 6th edition Chaos, it's crazy how much worse Plague Marines got vs how much better Rubrics have gotten in 8th edition.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    SoB will show up when their plastic models come out, which hopefully is at the same time as the Codex later this year.

It seems like a lot of inclusion in KT hinges on whether or not a plastic kit exists, Eldar especially have a lot of Aspect options that would work great and haven't been included because they're old models.

That seems like it's being relaxed for some of the expansions. Drukhari in particular are getting a few options that are still Finecast in Elites.

Burnage on
This discussion has been closed.