As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] aren't worth playing until you add at least five expansions

• jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    If you didn't look at the full art pieces available on BGG, you're denying yourself the glory that is the Reggae-hermit crab in its complete form. It sure is something. XD

I'm sorry, I have to comment on this. I think it's sort of going for a glam-rock kind of vibe? But what's with his hand? Does he have a claw capable of "throwing the horns", or is it just permanently in that shape? Or is it a glove?

So many questions...

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    On the opppsite side, I haven’t picked up Root because it seems very similar to the COIN games I have already and its theme that intrigues me less.

That plus the balance issues I have heard about, I know they got errata’d but I am fine to wait for an updated printing.

Really the only reason I see for myself to grab Root is because I know the theme will be easier for some to get into vs other COIN games, but considering I already have and play COIN games it feels too niche to own for me.

The one selling point I'd give Root over COIN is that a group that can play COIN games will easily play Root in less than two hours. That combined with the fact that I think Root develops a metagame easier than COIN (because it lacks the events) makes Root a really interesting game to play repeatedly with the same group.

But that's a super-specific thing that I'm interested in because I play a lot of metagame tabletop like Warmachine and Magic in addition to traditional tabletop wargames.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Dang it I am trying not to spend money admanb

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    oh shit sorry

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    oh shit sorry

Come on, we all know you're not sorry.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited March 2019
    On the subject of 6+ games, if someone asked for heavier/longer game -- that is, a non-party, non-social-team game, and more complex than stuff like Bohnanza -- there are good ones but not many I can think of. Cosmic Encounter (which has many things in common with team games), Eclipse, Twilight Imperium, Sidereal Confluence, Ticket to Ride Asia (teams of 2? does that count?)... which others would be a "strong recommend"? Maybe Ladies & Gentlemen? Any recent ones I missed out on?

jergarmar on
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Heavy and six exact is Dune.

(Deeeeewwwwnnn)

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    speaking of, I just saw something about Dune getting a reprint

6F32U1X.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    speaking of, I just saw something about Dune getting a reprint

now the real question is whether it's a "reprint" or a "let's completely ruin the game because we don't fucking understand design" like Rex.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    jergarmar wrote: »
    On the subject of 6+ games, if someone asked for heavier/longer game -- that is, a non-party, non-social-team game, and more complex than stuff like Bohnanza -- there are good ones but not many I can think of. Cosmic Encounter (which has many things in common with team games), Eclipse, Twilight Imperium, Sidereal Confluence, Ticket to Ride Asia (teams of 2? does that count?)... which others would be a "strong recommend"? Maybe Ladies & Gentlemen? Any recent ones I missed out on?
    I honestly wouldn't have recommended a single game on that list. XD I haven't played TTR: Asia though, so ... grain of salt.

7-Wonders is always the old standby of "a game that's actually as good with 6 as with 3 or 4."
    Dominant Species is fantastic, but you're going to be there for a few hours. Still, it does well what it does, and few can say that for a heavy 6-player game.
    Ethnos is not the most complex game either, but it's solid, and will for sure be interesting with 6 players.
    Mysterium, though co-ops aren't necessarily the most interesting answer for the question.
    Letters From Whitechapel if the group doesn't mind 1-vs-Many, and the players are engaged with the kind of game that it is. Honestly, being Jack against competent detectives is among the most brain-burny things you can play. <_<
    Viticulture will be a bit of a slog with downtime, but it's still the same game at 6 as 3 or 4, so it works.

These are just pulls from games I own/have owned/played. I'm sure there's many other good answers.

ArcticLancer on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I honestly wouldn't have recommended a single game on that list. XD I haven't played TTR: Asia though, so ... grain of salt.

7-Wonders is always the old standby of "a game that's actually as good with 6 as with 3 or 4."
    Dominant Species is fantastic, but you're going to be there for a few hours. Still, it does well what it does, and few can say that for a heavy 6-player game.
    Ethnos is not the most complex game either, but it's solid, and will for sure be interesting with 6 players.
    Mysterium, though co-ops aren't necessarily the most interesting answer for the question.
    Letters From Whitechapel if the group doesn't mind 1-vs-Many, and the players are engaged with the kind of game that it is. Honestly, being Jack against competent detectives is among the most brain-burny things you can play. <_<
    Viticulture will be a bit of a slog with downtime, but it's still the same game at 6 as 3 or 4, so it works.

These are just pulls from games I own/have owned/played. I'm sure there's many other good answers.

Many of those are go-tos when my group is at 6 players, and all are good options.

Power Grid is another we like to turn to with 6.

edited March 2019

You wouldn't recommend Cosmic Encounters? You monster!

But seriously, I had forgotten that Power Grid and Dominant Species can handle 6.

And Ethnos, I had no idea! Dang, I need this game.

EDIT: Oh, I was initially trying to avoid all team-based games, but Letters from Whitechapel is still a really solid suggestion.

jergarmar on
    My BoardGameGeek profile
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Ethnos is good fun. I took it to PAX South the last couple of years and everyone who I've taught it to has enjoyed it.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Thanks for the recs my duders. I'm definitely aiming at more of a party vibe, so like 7 to 10+ folks. The simplicity of Secret Hitler is definitely a selling point, as there will almost certainly be some imbibements involved.

I reckon bust that out, and then if folks are keen for some more meat, I'll hit em with Captain Sonar and really blow their minds.

You wouldn't recommend Cosmic Encounters? You monster!

But seriously, I had forgotten that Power Grid and Dominant Species can handle 6.

And Ethnos, I had no idea! Dang, I need this game.

EDIT: Oh, I was initially trying to avoid all team-based games, but Letters from Whitechapel is still a really solid suggestion.
    I'll fisticuffs Tom Vassal any day. Wrong as wrong can be! :p

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    You could do Space Cadets Dice Duel for utter madness after some drinks.

I just got Not Alone to the table finally, which was a neat 1vMany.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Other 6+ player games (or if mentioned already, recommendations I agree with)

- Keyflower
    - Concordia Venus
    - Waterdeep + Skullport
    - Organ Attack
    - Evolution and Evolution: Flight
    - Alhambra Big Box (the expansion modules should mitigate the 6player problem of not getting the card/tile you want)
    - Shadows Over Camelot
    - Camel C/Up
    - Potato Pirates
    - Bargain Quest

• IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular

Not recent, but I like Conquest of the Empire and World of Warcraft: The Board Game (though the latter is team-based, if that matters). Both of those will pretty much cover my table and can easily run 4 hours.

Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

This is a dirty lie, 7 Wonders is 100x better with four players than it is with seven, fite me (that said, it does fit my personal criteria of "decisions to be made that affect the outgame, not too kingmakery" so I will play it with seven if I have to)

Seconding Captain Sonar for large groups. The last time I brought it to a big gathering, someone tried to say it was actually a nine player game, since in their previous experience I had always been "refereeing" (since we had two full boats of new players, and I was trying to make sure everyone had a good time). If you have heavy drinkers at your gathering, you could add some crew stations that were just responsible for drinking and singing sea shanties :P

Secret Hitler and 2 Rooms and a Boom are both good picks for huge groups, though they are both in the "social deduction" genre so you probably don't need both. Earlier someone mentioned player elimination as a drawback to Secret Hitler, but IMO it's fine because it doesn't happen until late in the game, and it's very tense/exciting/engaging when it does happen. It's not like classic Werewolf/Mafia where people are getting eliminated right at the start and then have to sit around bored for two hours.

Fry on
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Thirding(?) Captain Sonar Everyone really seems to enjoy playing it and it produces some amazing stories.

Speaking of stories, have any of you played Captain Sonar on the ice map? If so did one or both subs explode from surfacing into the ice repeatedly? And if not are you some kind of robot?

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Haven't worked my group up to the ice map yet, they are still enjoying the basic maps. In my (admittedly limited) experience, each sub will surface about once per game, so if your boats are surfacing repeatedly, maybe have a talk with your engineers about the importance of finishing the autorepair circuits, and/or talk to your captains about going aggressive when the other team surfaces.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm definitely planning on being a referee for at least the first few games of Captain Sonar.

I've played on the ice map a couple of times. I don't remember the ice destroying the subs directly, however knowing exactly where the enemy is was plenty enough.

There are a couple of movement patterns you can use to keep your ship running perfectly. It is a very straight line though, so it's very easy to get predictable in your movements using it. Let's you power a bunch of system up very quickly once your team is experienced enough with it too.

Fuck, now I really want to play Captain Sonar.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    it's really not possible to overhype code names for casual gamers and non gamers

It's a wonderful, wonderful time for them

sig.gif
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm definitely planning on being a referee for at least the first few games of Captain Sonar.

I've played on the ice map a couple of times. I don't remember the ice destroying the subs directly, however knowing exactly where the enemy is was plenty enough.

There are a couple of movement patterns you can use to keep your ship running perfectly. It is a very straight line though, so it's very easy to get predictable in your movements using it. Let's you power a bunch of system up very quickly once your team is experienced enough with it too.

Fuck, now I really want to play Captain Sonar.

I think you can go North and East pretty easily without breaking things, but you can't easily go the other-way. If I am remembering correctly. Surfacing in the ice is one damage so you probably shouldn't blow up that way... Then again you definitely probably shouldn't kill yourself on your own torpedo either...

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Have you all heard about the Dune reprint?
    I am really excited!
    I am curious if and how they will streamline it. What ruleset they will use.
    It looks like they will use the Ilya reprint as the aesthetic base.

steam_sig.png
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    it's really not possible to overhype code names for casual gamers and non gamers

It's a wonderful, wonderful time for them

Also, for those who haven't checked it out, Codenames Duet is a fantastic twist on the rules that makes the game co-operative and eliminates a great deal of the downtime between turns. It's marketed as a 2-player game but easily permits two teams of multiple people. (The basic twist over regular Codenames is that each team has a set of words they're trying to get the other team to guess. Sometimes the words overlap and sometimes they don't -- the same word could be the assassin when one team is guessing but an agent when the other is guessing. The pleasant result is you're never just waiting around while the other team is guessing or while your cluegiver is struggling to come up with something; each player is always involved in either guessing or giving clues at every moment.)

Have you all heard about the Dune reprint?
    I am really excited!
    I am curious if and how they will streamline it. What ruleset they will use.
    It looks like they will use the Ilya reprint as the aesthetic base.

I wonder if they will lean into the WBC rule balance iterations or not.

• BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Codenames is great, Codenames: Pictures is an improvement. Smaller grid so games go quicker, and its a lot easier to take in the whole board and nobody is sitting there rereading the board every turn.

Though one thing I have learned, Codenames can be rather frustrating for some ESL folk.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Pictures is good, half pictures half words is the best

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I found pictures to be way worse than standard.

• A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    I found pictures to be way worse than standard.

Agreed. I eventually ended up getting rid of pictures. I have really enjoyed duet, tho I have only played it with two, haven't tried doing it with teams like @Hedgethorn suggests.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Pictures is just a different feel, and some people will like one more than the other. I like them both, but if I had to choose one I'd choose words.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I didn't even buy Pictures, because my family is apparently terrible with deducing clues for images based on my experience of playing Dixit and Mysterium with them.

I love Mysterium, and hope to eventually break them of assumptions for clues.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Codenames Pictures is incredibly good for players who aren't English-first. Since we operate in a University-city with a lot of foreign students it's always an asset, as Pictures lets them play the game in whatever language they want and just focus on the game.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Have you folks ever played bilingual Codenames

It's fuckin' wild, I'll tell you what

Bilingual puns crossed with unilingual word association, or false friends combined with real translations...

WILD

Evil Multifarious on
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Man I'm conflicted on Root kickstarter - i have the cash to hop in for 150...but I feel like all the reviews are so skewed by "hotness,' I can't tell if its good or not! I guess I'd note that I have and love Chaos in the Old World and think this might be an easier jump-in point to an asymmetrical wargame.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
    I think CitOW is easier to understand. Watch out for Khorne, don't let Nurgle ruin too much, don't let Slaanesh spin his dial, Tzeentch uh, well change some ways or whatever but don't have to worry about them too much.

Root you have to kill the Vagabond constantly and it seems like it does nothing and they were helping you but otherwise they win.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    I agree that CitOW is easier to understand. I didn’t find Root was too hard, but you have to at least explain each faction to the players, or at least a basic strategy against them. In my group we experienced the common WA wins the first few games as no one stops them.

In some playgroups Root does have a big theme advantage. I’ve played Root with people I would’ve never even dreamed of playing a Warhammer themed game or a COIN game.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Man I'm conflicted on Root kickstarter - i have the cash to hop in for 150...but I feel like all the reviews are so skewed by "hotness,' I can't tell if its good or not! I guess I'd note that I have and love Chaos in the Old World and think this might be an easier jump-in point to an asymmetrical wargame.

Root is a tremendous triumph of accessibility and beautiful theme. I'm not sure everyone here would wholeheartedly recommend it on grounds of mechanics and balance. I also love CitoW and I didn't find root very robust after playing it just twice, though I'd be open to playing again if my group was. I thought the downtime in root was dramatically worse than in chaos.

sig.gif
    Depending on what you mean by easier jump in point, it may deliver in spades on that request.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.