As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] April showers bring May Birthdays

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    Alright guys, 2 days left and so far I've got 2 entrants so your odds are great, and a $5 donation not only gets you a chance at winning some Steam bucks but also helps kids that find their way to Childrens' Hospital Colorado. If you're interested, click here, donate $5 or more, enter 'Justin Last' in the 'USTC Student's Name' field, and then PM me some proof. I'll draw Saturday afternoon and let the winner know. Thanks!

I'm glad you reposted this because I completely forgot about it. What's your goal this year?
    Each of us are trying to get $50. I've got $40, and the kids each have zero still. In their defense we're having a blizzard and we won't let them go door to door when the drifts are taller than they are.

Donated!
    oesa9agokoj4.png

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Why Mr. Gray you're so classy! :D

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Whoo! That was my whole goal and now we're spilling into kids territory - thank you thank you thank you!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @jclast

Here's some proof of my donation. Go break some boards for kids!
    d6zcmvwrfep1.png
    Just kidding.

m4sab05jf75i.png

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
  • Options
    For the record, I love that image. And thank you for donating. You rock!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    @jclast forgot to post it!
    d8IvLQr.png

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    SledGodSledGod Registered User regular
    I'm so hyped about Halo MCC coming to Steam. I had moved on to PC by the time all my friends were into xbox/Halo, but I still played the hell out of the first PC release. Getting to fly the banshee and use the brute shot and flamethrower in multiplayer was so dope!

I feel like I might be one of a handful of folks whose love for Halo is almost entirely based on its PC presence.

• Options
    Awesome, thank you for helping @Stabbity Style - I've got you on the list! :)

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Has anyone here played Vampyr? It looks interesting enough that I'm willing to take a leap at $19.99, but ... backlog. Wasn't sure if anyone had any impressions.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Has anyone here played Vampyr? It looks interesting enough that I'm willing to take a leap at $19.99, but ... backlog. Wasn't sure if anyone had any impressions.

It is janky and has problems and late game balance can be iffy but it is a great atmosphere and NPC system of relationships for keeping the districts of London stable during the ravages of the Spanish Flu.

I really enjoyed it and got about 25+ hours of gameplay while doing most of the side quests so yes I would recommend it.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    https://mobile.twitter.com/duvalmagic/status/1070125621785714688

Prelude to an Epic Store exclusive Borderlands 3 announcement?

Reading his replies was amusing. He has the usual ‘it’s just another launcher’ attitude. Someone points out in simple bullet points why the launcher is bad and he just stops responding.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Well at least they did not lead their audience on for years only to do a hard right turn into epic

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Steam Link's latest beta added an option to stream games to Steam Link devices outside the local network:
    Steam Link Anywhere allows you to stream games to your Steam Link from any computer running Steam, as long as your computer has good upload speed and your Steam Link device has a good network connection.

To use Steam Link Anywhere:
    Update your Steam Client to the beta build, dated March 13 or newer
    Add a computer and select "Other Computer"
    Follow the pairing instructions on screen

This service is in early beta, and we appreciate your patience as we continue to improve the service.

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    I wonder if that is a response to Google Streaming stuff

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    From the high to the low: the job offer may be rescinded. They cannot confirm my education. Without it, there is nothing left for me to do.

I'm pretty sure you could get @HiT BiT to whip up a diploma for you...

Seriously though, that really sucks.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Review time! Didn't realize we could write reviews for points!

Minit
    Minit feels like a weird combination of Half-Minute Hero and a 2D Zelda game. After finding a sword, you have 60 seconds to do stuff before you die and you respawn back at your home. You can find new homes to respawn at throughout the world (I think there are 3 others besides your main one?) and you can also unlock shortcuts to and from your main home. This allows you to get around the world and actually do stuff within that 60 second time constraint. Overall, it's a pretty short experience, clocking in around an hour and change. Your whole goal is finding a way to get to the sword factory that's making these cursed swords and shut it down. To do this, you end up doing a ton of unrelated tasks to help people out, which either opens up paths themselves or leads to items that allow you to go places you otherwise couldn't. This means most of the gameplay is solving little puzzles or figuring out where you can go or what you can do next. This is one of the big reasons it feels like a 2D Zelda game, because the game world opens up as you get new items in a very similar manner. I did have some minor issues with running the game. Apparently there's a GameMaker engine bug that happens if you run the game in fullscreen with gsync on or a monitor set to 144Hz, where it'll speed up the gameplay and ingame timer, making the game impossible to play. I had to turn off GSync to get it to work. Still, I thought the game ended up being pretty charming. Your character is a weird duck blob looking thing and the game looks a lot like those 2D Zelda games, albeit with a black and white color scheme. I honestly don't remember the music at this point, so I guess it wasn't really that memorable, but it wasn't obtrusive or obnoxious either, so I guess that's a good thing. At any rate, I'd definitely recommend it! It's a unique little experience.

Chuchel
    Chuchel is a bonkers little thing. You're a little dustball trying to get your cherry back. That's the basic premise of pretty much every scene in the game. It's similar to an adventure game in that you're presented with lots of basically static screens with interactive elements and you end up interacting with those elements to solve puzzles. And there's a lot of charm to be found just exploring and interacting with all the elements of a given scene. The game also manages to vary it up with lots of one-off gameplay sequences, such as boxing in robots or navigating a maze or a sequence which is essentially just Flappy Bird but with Chuchel riding a bird. It's a lot of fun and structured in a way that you can just play a scene or two at a time if you want to, which I appreciated. The game looks amazing, with a bunch of weird, almost grotesque designs to a lot of the characters. Pretty much everyone in the game seems chill, though and usually has some sort of motivation for doing whatever they're doing. And the music in this game is incredible! I think that's the entire reason I bought the game in the first place, was because I heard some of the soundtrack. I'd definitely recommend this game to people. It's a singular, charming little thing that I think more people should experience. Also, after hearing Vinny and Jeff talk about it on the Beastcast, I'm pretty sure it'd be a great family game to play with little kids, too. So much of the interactive stuff is silly and humorous and Chuchel, while kind of a jerk sometimes, isn't really bad and is endlessly amusing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01JLtQRwzj8

Assassin's Creed: Unity
    So, I went into this game slightly wary due to its reputation. Assassin's Creed: Unity is widely held as the worst AC game that's full of bugs and probably some other stuff too. But I'm kind of anal about playing a series in order, so for me to get up to Origins and Odyssey, I wanted to make sure I had played all the games up to them (just have Syndicate now and then I can get started on them!). Anyway, I was still willing to give this game a shot, especially since the setting sounded perfect to me. An assassin going around throughout the French Revolution, interacting with famous figures and working levers behind the scenes by killing people sounded like exactly the kind of thing I'd like to see from this franchise. And, having played it, I think it was ultimately pretty solid! Of course, I'm playing it years later, so I'm sure some of the main issues people had with the game RE: bugs got patched out. I didn't run into anything major, but there were definitely some times where a bit of jank arose, but in more of an amusing and innocuous way, such as models getting reset when there was a camera change, so all the clothing and stuff re-settled on their bodies, or textures popping in when a camera was sweeping around the city in a cutscene.
    I think I got a pretty solid 30 fps most of the time, with a GTX 970. Not really great, but also not the worst. The combat in this game was a lot more unforgiving that previous games in the series. Previous games basically let you parry and kill infinitely and use enemies as body shields when someone tries to shoot you. While there is a parry mechanic in the game, it's a lot stricter and isn't an instant kill like in previous games, so you can't just take on an army of enemies and parry your way to victory any more. And enemies with guns are a much bigger threat in this game, especially snipers with rifles. This ended up making stealth much more necessary, which isn't a bad thing considering this is at its core a stealth series. The story itself was fine. The plot basically revolves around finding the killer of your adoptive parent, who was a Templar and was betrayed by Templars, so you still end up going around killing a bunch of Templars.
    You also have a love interest, which is your primary motivation for trying to find the killer, since she's his daughter (and I guess your adoptive sister?). Ultimately it ends up almost being a buddy cop + love interest type thing, which I think worked and was kind of a nice change of pace for an Assassin's Creed game.
    I'd probably recommend this game to people, on the condition that they have a relatively good PC. Oh yeah, it also has what is probably the most cluttered map in a video game I've ever seen, but it's got enough filters that you can find where you need to go.

OneShot
    This game was amazing! I think I loved pretty much everything about it? I don't really know how much I can talk about it without spoiling it. Uh, you're basically guiding a catboi named Niko, who wakes up in an unfamiliar world, on his quest to restore light to the world. You encounter people and robots along the way and can talk to them to help you on your journey and learn more about the world. The game is mostly walking around and finding items to combine/use to advance further, in the style of an adventure game. The game is absolutely charming and Niko is basically the most adorable protagonist ever and I just want to give him a hug. The game also does some cool stuff outside of the game in a meta way, but I don't want to get into that because spoilers. At any rate, I would highly recommend this game to everyone. It's cheap and short enough that I consider it a must-play game for anyone with a PC. It's seriously that good. There's a reason it has an Overwhelmingly Positive rating on Steam.

Sunset Overdrive
    I'm kind of surprised how much I liked this game. I guess I didn't really have a good grasp of what it was because I never really watched much gameplay of it. I saw some trailers for it and saw that it was basically a post-apocalypse zombie game with a lot of attitude. Which sounded fine, I guess, but didn't really blow my socks off. That and the main character they showed looked kind of lame. Anyway, it came out on Steam and @Big Classy was kind enough to send me a copy, so I figured I'd give it a play. And wow, this game was great. First of all, you get to make your character instead of being stuck with defaultguy they show in all the promo material. So I made a dope girl as my character. I don't know how good the guy voice actor is, but the girl voice actor is amazing! The whole story is basically carried by the main character's quips and the writing and acting were both good enough that it managed to stay enjoyable throughout. I was really worried it would get tiring or grating or something, but it manages to be entertaining through the entire game, which is kind of incredible. The gameplay itself feels good, too. You grind on rails/cables/etc and bounce on cars (for some reason) and other stuff and it's basically all about looking cool and keeping your momentum going while also killing hordes of enemies. As you keep your style up, you increase your style meter, which enables perks you have set for your character. These can include just random lightning going off, your melee attacks also throwing fireballs, your rolls doing blast damage, or just a one hit shield that recharages every 5 or 10 seconds. These are all useful enough that you want to keep your style up. It also helps that the bouncing and grinding make you harder for enemies to hit. There are a bunch of different weird weapons in this game (I only managed to unlock some of them, they can get pretty expensive). Almost all of them are jury-rigged together and can be a lot of fun to use. There were a couple of firework based ones that I really got into. One of them just shot a bunch of roman candles at enemies and the other one basically shot a mortar firework at enemies and stuck to them, then blew up. There's a pretty great variety of enemies, too. You have 4 main types of enemies: normal OD, humans, robots, and special OD. Different guns are more effective against different types of enemies, so you find yourself switching weapons a lot to use the right ones against the right enemies.
    And because you're switching so much, it gets you more used to switching weapons, so you it's more familiar to switch between weapons even when it's just a single type of enemy. In a lot of these kind of games, it's very easy to just end up using one weapon that works for you rather than experiment with other weapons, so I'm glad that this game figured out a way to encourage weapon switching without penalizing you with lack of ammo or whatnot. Anyway, this game is great and relatively cheap, so I would definitely recommend everyone pick it up and give it a shot. It's a lot of fun and the writing/voice acting is very funny throughout the game.

Refunct
    This is a very small, chill game that only takes like 25 minutes, so there really isn't that much to say about it. Basically, you jump around on tiles and every time you walk on a tile, it turns from concrete to earth and grass. And your objective is to press buttons to make more tiles/buttons appear. It's pretty simple, though it manages to layer on new mechanics throughout the game. It's a first person platforming type thing and you have some limited parkour movement available, such as jumping between close walls to get to a higher place, sliding, and basically ledge grabbing if you jump into a wall just short of the top (just keep going forward and you'll pull yourself up). All of this takes place in the middle of an ocean with huge concrete pillars off in the distance. As you're doing this, some pretty chill electronic music is playing in the background. But yeah, they introduce new mechanics like elevators, or pipes, or jump pads over the game which give you new ways to get yourself to the next tile. There's also little cube things you can find, but you generally just find them as you're converting the tiles, so they kind of feel superfluous. There are a couple of tiles that are pretty tricky to get to and I didn't end up clearing until the end of the game, when I figured out the mechanic to get to them. I think the game's like $2? It's such a simple, satisfying experience that I would definitely recommend everyone check it out, especially at that price.

Serial Cleaner
    Serial Cleaner is a game where you clean up the evidence at crime scenes for criminals while avoiding the cops that are all over the scene. It ends up being kind of like Hotline Miami if it were a stealth game and you didn't kill people. There's a lot of that failure and quick restart that you got with Hotline Miami. There's a big focus on learning enemy patrol patterns and finding an optimal route through them. For the most part, it's pretty generous with the stealth stuff. Getting seen isn't a restart state, you can run away and hide if you break line of sight or just outrun them. It gets harder as the game progresses and they add cops that are either faster or more vigilant. Towards the very end they even add cops with guns that will shoot you on sight, adding another wrinkle to things. Ultimately what you do in any given level is dispose of bodies, collect evidence, and clean up blood, or some combination of them. It's all set in the 1970's and there's definitely that aesthetic going on throughout the game. There are interludes between levels in which you can catch up on events through the tv or newspaper and also talk to your mom, whom you live with. Towards the end things got to be a bit unpleasantly tough. Considering all the things you need to do in a given mission, failing when you get like 90% of the way there and have to restart feels terrible. There's no checkpointing system or anything, so failure means having to restart the entire level. Of course, it's totally doable to do it that way, but it makes failure just suck even more. I don't know if I'd really recommend this game. I think there are better games that are similar enough to it that I'd recommend those over this.

Jotun
    This is a weird viking game where you're some sort of descendant of Thor and die and end up in the afterlife. Odin sets you about going to different areas and killing Jotuns, which are bosses I guess? I'm not entirely sure what they're supposed to be lore-wise. This game has a ton of Norse myth stuff in it, with most of the settings and story centered around different aspects of Norse myth. For the most part you just wander around each world to find a rune. Two runes in a section and you fight the boss for that section. There's like 5? sections plus a final boss, so there's probably 9 or 10 worlds to wander through.
    In each world, you generally wander around getting permanent powerups such as health upgrades or powers and eventually find the rune. Along the way you might have to dodge dangerous environments or fight minor enemies. You have a light attack, a heavy attack, and your powers, which are limited use between recharges at this creepy fountain thing. Each of the boss fights have unique mechanics you have to work around, so you need to dodge attack and environmental stuff and deal as much damage as you can while also using your powers. None of them really feel that great, though, because your moveset is relatively limited, so it pretty much always comes down to getting to their feet and hitting a bunch and dodging stuff as necessary. None of the game really stood out to me all that much. Like, the main character's story, which she narrarates as you progress, is pretty neat. But the rest of it just feels like bland world after bland world. And the last couple of boss fights got pretty hard, to the point where it stopped being even kind of fun and just became frustrating. I don't think I'd really recommend this game to anyone. I think there are both better games that deal with Norse mythology in a more interesting way, and better games that have that focus on boss fights that are actually fun to play.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    If you actually play games in your backlog are you even Steam-ing correctly?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Something I’m curious about with these Epic exclusivity deals. Snapshots deal is guaranteed minimum sales, so I guess Epic essentially prepays a certain number of sales and Snapshots sales to that point to to Epic.

Considering the huge nagativity around these deals, I wonder what happens if they don’t meet those minimum sales? I doubt Epic will be happy to throw money away. In this case, that money is paying for DLC, and if everyone just buys it when it hits Steam/GoG then Epic isn’t getting money from that DLC either.

It really just feels like they’re throwing money away to take sales from Steam/GoG, but the exclusivity being one year means people can just wait it out.

That can’t be good for much smaller devs who go over there for the better cut for the first year and sales tank until the game hits Steam/GoG.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    @Spoit I just want to check: are we getting 1 point per review for as many games as we can complete? Or is it a one time bonus for a single review? Just want to be sure before I type up a bunch.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Combat isn't anything to write home about but the lore, writing and vampire mechanics are pretty interesting.

Its the most fun I've had with blood sucking since VTM:B.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Sunset Overdrive is an absolute blast. Anyone who wants that Saints Row 4-style goofy open world mindlessness definitely needs to try it.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Jiminy fucking Christmas
    Developing: Epic Games Launcher appears to collect your steam friends & play history

But I tried to replicate those and found out that Epic Games Launcher on start up searches for Steam install
    and proceeds to get list of files in your Steam Cloud (this includes mostly game saves for every user that has logged in on your PC)

Steam Cloud is stored under userdata\[account id]\ if you wanna check

It will also create encrypted copy of config\localconfig.vdf.
    This file contains your steam friends, their name history (groups you're part of, are considered "friends").

It seems friends might be used for friends suggestions, but I don't even use that feature and it collects more than that.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    @Spoit I just want to check: are we getting 1 point per review for as many games as we can complete? Or is it a one time bonus for a single review? Just want to be sure before I type up a bunch.

Per game/review. And yes, it has to be for a game you did for the backlog challenge, not just any game you finished in the past

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Jiminy fucking Christmas
    Developing: Epic Games Launcher appears to collect your steam friends & play history

But I tried to replicate those and found out that Epic Games Launcher on start up searches for Steam install
    and proceeds to get list of files in your Steam Cloud (this includes mostly game saves for every user that has logged in on your PC)

This file contains your steam friends, their name history (groups you're part of, are considered "friends").

It seems friends might be used for friends suggestions, but I don't even use that feature and it collects more than that.

yeah that's pretty much a no no. Very bad.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Feeling less bad about deleting my Epic account.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Statement from Epic on the matter
    We use a tracking pixel (tracking.js) for our Support-A-Creator program so we can pay creators. We also track page statistics.

The launcher sends a hardware survey (CPU, GPU, and the like) at a regular interval as outlined in our privacy policy(see the “Information We Collect or Receive” section). You can find the code here.

The UDP traffic highlighted in this post is a launcher feature for communication with the Unreal Editor. The source of the underlying system is available on github.

The majority of the launcher UI is implemented using web technology that is being rendered by Chromium (which is open source). The root certificate and cookie access mentioned above is a result of normal web browser start up.

The launcher scans your active processes to prevent updating games that are currently running. This information is not sent to Epic.

We only import your Steam friends with your explicit permission. The launcher makes an encrypted local copy of your localconfig.vdf Steam file. However information from this file is only sent to Epic if you choose to import your Steam friends, and then only hashed ids of your friends are sent and no other information from the file.

Epic is controlled by Tim Sweeney. We have lots of external shareholders, none of whom have access to customer data.

Daniel Vogel
    VP of Engineering
    Epic Games Inc.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    That seems like BS to me. Why would it look up the file every time and just only happen to share info if you choose to import your friends, rather than look up the file when you choose to import friends?

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Statement from Epic on the matter
    We use a tracking pixel (tracking.js) for our Support-A-Creator program so we can pay creators. We also track page statistics.

The launcher sends a hardware survey (CPU, GPU, and the like) at a regular interval as outlined in our privacy policy(see the “Information We Collect or Receive” section). You can find the code here.

The UDP traffic highlighted in this post is a launcher feature for communication with the Unreal Editor. The source of the underlying system is available on github.

The majority of the launcher UI is implemented using web technology that is being rendered by Chromium (which is open source). The root certificate and cookie access mentioned above is a result of normal web browser start up.

The launcher scans your active processes to prevent updating games that are currently running. This information is not sent to Epic.

We only import your Steam friends with your explicit permission. The launcher makes an encrypted local copy of your localconfig.vdf Steam file. However information from this file is only sent to Epic if you choose to import your Steam friends, and then only hashed ids of your friends are sent and no other information from the file.

Epic is controlled by Tim Sweeney. We have lots of external shareholders, none of whom have access to customer data.

Daniel Vogel
    VP of Engineering
    Epic Games Inc.

As someone who basically only knows the surface level about how computers do any freaking thing, this sounds like a very technical way of saying, "we know what we're doing, just trust us".

Strangely, it does not instill trust of any kind in me.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Boy I can't wait for all the YouTube videos from Jim Sterling and YongYea and all the other professional anger merchants that are just as furious about this as they would be if Valve were caught doing something that bad!

dhgh6dc3xypa.jpg

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Boy I can't wait for all the YouTube videos from Jim Sterling and YongYea and all the other professional anger merchants that are just as furious about this as they would be if Valve were caught doing something that bad!

dhgh6dc3xypa.jpg

To be fair, I wouldn't really get that angry at Valve for pulling up a file of my Steam friends.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

dhgh6dc3xypa.jpg

What do you think VAC does?

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

dhgh6dc3xypa.jpg

To be fair, I wouldn't really get that angry at Valve for pulling up a file of my Steam friends.

The thing is, if a company wants a list of your Steam friends, they can get it in an approved, above-board manner, with your permission, via the Steam API, like a ton of places do. This is Epic apparently making a copy of your info without telling you, then asking for your permission to send it afterwards, among other things. Why do it that way unless you want to wave a large sign saying 'We're shady as fuck'?

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I want someone to dig deep on that engineering response. I certainly don't see any GitHub links there. What are the chances said code is actually on GitHub?

Also just because something is open source doesn't automatically make it okay for you to do it.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    vs09ickmak7i.png

@ReverseCreations did this for reasons unknown.

Thanks for the porn! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Jiminy fucking Christmas

I am so sick of this.

How the fuck do companies keep doing this so casually?

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Jiminy fucking Christmas

I am so sick of this.

Lack of consequences.

Also a lot of gamers seem okay with their information being stolen by foreign entities. ‘Geez I’m only playing games’.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Jiminy fucking Christmas

I am so sick of this.

Lack of consequences.

Also a lot of gamers seem okay with their information being stolen by foreign entities. ‘Geez I’m only playing games’.

"Geez, I just want to play it..." *clicks through unread EULA*

I mean, I'm as guilty of that as anyone. Pretty sure most of us are. It's only when we're alerted from elsewhere about something buried in a EULA that we might so much as stop and think for a second (c.f. Civ VI).

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Jiminy fucking Christmas

I am so sick of this.

Lack of consequences.

I mean, lots of people are in general, it's not just gamers. How many people still use Facebook after Cambridge Analytica? It's super easy to handwave away because there's no direct impact to you.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Thanks @Stabbity Style for gifting me Refunct to bring me back from the edge of darkness.
    jkrowling1-2x.jpg

This discussion has been closed.