As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anthem] Death from Above ! and Sideways ! sometimes even from Below !

• Options
    Phoenix138Phoenix138 ArizonaRegistered User regular
    I still have no idea why enemy scaling is a thing in GM1+. It already has the restriction of needing to be level 30 to play. That alone would seem to indicate it isn’t meant to be played with your friend/spouse who is just starting out or rarely plays.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    niiiiiiice. My colossus would definitely like that.

It's sitting in my inventory because I have this :/
    qvvZ2Py.png

Are there legendary autocannons?

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    niiiiiiice. My colossus would definitely like that.

It's sitting in my inventory because I have this :/
    qvvZ2Py.png

Are there legendary autocannons?

There are legendary everything except support abilities

• Options
    My survivability in GM2 is good but damage is pretty low or enemy health is insane.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Damn I see why best defense keeps popping up as a required build for colossus folks. That is some damn nice proccs right there.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Phoenix138 wrote: »
    I still have no idea why enemy scaling is a thing in GM1+. It already has the restriction of needing to be level 30 to play. That alone would seem to indicate it isn’t meant to be played with your friend/spouse who is just starting out or rarely plays.

Actually GM1+ after the gear changes in the last patch is very easy to manage. If you get a masterwork weapon basically of any sort and a full set of purples otherwise its very doable. Shit I did it the other day on my ranger with two master work guns and whatever random epic shit I picked up playing my storm. I basically had an ilevel 40 launcher and the level 1 grenade and I went through it fine. If you can do your legendary contracts one day fills likely 3 mod slot that boost your survivability so much that GM1 is really not hard/dangerous at all any more.

• Options
    kaid wrote: »

Actually GM1+ after the gear changes in the last patch is very easy to manage. If you get a masterwork weapon basically of any sort and a full set of purples otherwise its very doable. Shit I did it the other day on my ranger with two master work guns and whatever random epic shit I picked up playing my storm. I basically had an ilevel 40 launcher and the level 1 grenade and I went through it fine. If you can do your legendary contracts one day fills likely 3 mod slot that boost your survivability so much that GM1 is really not hard/dangerous at all any more.

Oh I'm not complaining about the difficulty of GM1. I agree it's very easy. I'm commenting on the issues Bioware keeps running into as a result of their desire to have enemies scale based on player loadout (see: the level 1 defender being the most powerful weapon in the game for a while and now having higher survivability if you equip epic items instead of masterworks/legendaries). I should've quoted the post but I was mainly referring to this:

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/40915983/#Comment_40915983

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I haven't played in about a week (before the gear score changes was around 465) and was having zero issues with GM1 then. Should I just start doing GM2 now?

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    I haven't played in about a week (before the gear score changes was around 465) and was having zero issues with GM1 then. Should I just start doing GM2 now?

There is no real reason to do gm2 unless you just want the challenge. The increase to drop rates, if it even exists, is not enough to make up for the massively inflated health pools.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I've been doing missions on GM2 with random pub groups and it hasn't been too messy.

I still do Strongholds on GM1, however.

Though there was one time when I mistakenly took a 'maybe GM1 ready' Colossus into a GM2 mission. That was... a mistake. Anything tougher than trash mobs looked at me and my shield fell apart, at which point I died shortly thereafter.

I've only gotten 2 legendaries so far, both from GM2. Both for the Interceptor (well, one literally as an Interceptor component, and one as a machine pistol that highly suits the interceptor playstyle). RNG gonna RNG, but until I see even a token legendary now and then on GM1, I'll still poke at GM2 now and then.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    mori1972mori1972 FF14: Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn (Y)UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Nothing to see here

mori1972 on
    It's all saltwater these days:
    Ocean, tears and heartbreak soup
    Half alive in a whitecap foam
    Half in love with a white half moon
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    How do you unequip the support item?

ed: figured it out. You have to create a new custom loadout.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

Because difficulty levels aren't supposed to turn trivial. Same reason Destiny has patrol mobs that hurt you no matter what level you/they are. Go into GM1 for masterworks, and regardless of your personal gear level, it shouldn't turn into an effortless farm, because then it will BE the effortless farm, and all anyone ever does after a point.

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I mean, alternatively if they're going with the d3 model, when a difficulty level becomes trivial you bump it up a notch for greater rewards. Maybe they need to pick the destiny OR d3 model not an unholy hybrid because i'm not sure there's a middle ground that feels super great here.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    soylenth wrote: »
    I mean, alternatively if they're going with the d3 model, when a difficulty level becomes trivial you bump it up a notch for greater rewards. Maybe they need to pick the destiny OR d3 model not an unholy hybrid because i'm not sure there's a middle ground that feels super great here.

Well, if GM1 turns easy but gives out MW at a rate not drastically less than 2+, then everyone will just sit in GM1 and bitch. If the rate IS dropped, new players are hosed. If 2+ are increased, depending on the rate of increase, loot will become pointless rapidly. "Ooh, JUST a MW, psh trash garbage SHITTY GAME"

Edit: And honestly... Gamers keep swearing up, down, sideways and backwards that "We want challenge! For its own sake, we want the satisfaction and accomplishment of defeating an encounter with our friends after long hours of failure and frustration!"

My ass they do. Every time they GET that, out come the torches. "This difficulty is intended for careful planning and grouping with your friends, strategy and team composition are critical!" aaaaaaand howling because there's another "more efficient" way of getting loot drops.

dporowski on
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Has anyone who has gotten a legendary component tried to fit the legendary and masterwork version together on one loadout? I know you can use a MW and the same epic?

Or in other words, can you have 6 times the same component (Legendary, MW, Epic, Rare, Uncommon, Common) in a loadout?

(Just thinking about the +300% shield charge component for the Colossus) :wink:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Has anyone who has gotten a legendary component tried to fit the legendary and masterwork version together on one loadout? I know you can use a MW and the same epic?

Or in other words, can you have 6 times the same component (Legendary, MW, Epic, Rare, Uncommon, Common) in a loadout?

(Just thinking about the +300% shield charge component for the Colossus) :wink:

No, it only works for MW/Epic because they are different names and therefore different items in the games eyes. MW/Legendary are same name and likewise for epic/rare etc. So only 2 max.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    dporowski wrote: »

Because difficulty levels aren't supposed to turn trivial. Same reason Destiny has patrol mobs that hurt you no matter what level you/they are. Go into GM1 for masterworks, and regardless of your personal gear level, it shouldn't turn into an effortless farm, because then it will BE the effortless farm, and all anyone ever does after a point.

I don't think we're talking about the same thing. I am not complaining that GM1 is difficult. I'm complaining that it uses a complicated mechanic that, as far as I know, was intended to allow players of different levels to play together without one player feeling tremendously over/underpowered.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Hit 30 last night, finished up some more contracts, then tonight I played followed some people through a GM1 legendary contract.

Got an unremarkably rolled Symbiotic Surge and an Epic Universal component with like 1100 shields and 65% armor. Just those boosted my Inty from 410 to 450ish, but should probably feel a lot tougher.

The real Anthem starts here.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    edited March 2019

I don't think we're talking about the same thing. I am not complaining that GM1 is difficult. I'm complaining that it uses a complicated mechanic that, as far as I know, was intended to allow players of different levels to play together without one player feeling tremendously over/underpowered.

No no, we are.

Editors note: the contents here have been replaced by the below tl;dr.

Edit: tl;dr scaling is for javelin power level, not pilot levels. Nothing scales off pilot level in that manner. So yeah, you're right about "different levels", but they mean "gear levels" not "player levels".

dporowski on
  • Options

Well, if GM1 turns easy but gives out MW at a rate not drastically less than 2+, then everyone will just sit in GM1 and bitch. If the rate IS dropped, new players are hosed. If 2+ are increased, depending on the rate of increase, loot will become pointless rapidly. "Ooh, JUST a MW, psh trash garbage SHITTY GAME"

Edit: And honestly... Gamers keep swearing up, down, sideways and backwards that "We want challenge! For its own sake, we want the satisfaction and accomplishment of defeating an encounter with our friends after long hours of failure and frustration!"

My ass they do. Every time they GET that, out come the torches. "This difficulty is intended for careful planning and grouping with your friends, strategy and team composition are critical!" aaaaaaand howling because there's another "more efficient" way of getting loot drops.

I think a key point to the d3 model is at some point you do reach the max difficulty and have a complete set. But then you can just roll another character. With seasonal rewards for doing so. That doesn't really apply here.

So i agree you don't want a game to end too quickly. But i can tell you that i found the never-ending treadmill of destiny exhausting eventually, along with never seeming to feel more powerful no matter how much i played, and i'm not sure i exactly want anthem to become THAT.

It would be nice to feel caught up with a game until the next content drop (which is more or less where I am now with anthem). These new games that are jealous lovers who want to be my whole life are not ideal for me.

• Options

No no, we are.

Editors note: the contents here have been replaced by the below tl;dr.

Edit: tl;dr scaling is for javelin power level, not pilot levels. Nothing scales off pilot level in that manner. So yeah, you're right about "different levels", but they mean "gear levels" not "player levels".

Yes I get that. Again the reason I voiced my question is in response to the issues they've run into where equipping a lower level gun/gear has resulted in higher actual damage output/survivability than the higher level gun/gear. I know those are bugs and not the intended behavior but I feel like they could've saved themselves the headache by not having scaling be a thing once you get to GM1 and above. If the game is too difficult for someone at GM1 they can lower the difficulty. If it's not difficult enough they can raise the difficulty.

• Options
    I have a 662 gear level masterwork colossus and killing those flying scar dudes with shields is basically impossible alone on GM2. On GM1 it's pretty easy.
    The difficulty needs some further tweaking or I need some way to close the power gap.
    I've run 5 strongholds today on GM2 and just got same level or worse masterworks. I've replaced a grand total of 1 piece of gear.

Gotta give me something to keep putting my dick in the GM2 vice :/

• Options
    I have a 662 gear level masterwork colossus and killing those flying scar dudes with shields is basically impossible alone on GM2. On GM1 it's pretty easy.
    The difficulty needs some further tweaking or I need some way to close the power gap.
    I've run 5 strongholds today on GM2 and just got same level or worse masterworks. I've replaced a grand total of 1 piece of gear.

I think that's the real problem. There's no real incentive to up the difficulty here. They're gonna need to tweak it some more. I'd even be fine with "not going to beat this without a coordinated group" difficulty int he final tier (which I would likely never see), but like put some carrots in there to chase...It's kind of the itemization that's the real problem here. Not enough MW, not enough variety in loadouts. Hopefully they have more coming.

• Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular

I think that's the real problem. There's no real incentive to up the difficulty here. They're gonna need to tweak it some more. I'd even be fine with "not going to beat this without a coordinated group" difficulty int he final tier (which I would likely never see), but like put some carrots in there to chase...It's kind of the itemization that's the real problem here. Not enough MW, not enough variety in loadouts. Hopefully they have more coming.

The main thing is that you can get enough Masterworks, but not enough of them to fine tune the build via Inscriptions. GM1 is doable with random Masterwork gear, GM2 you need some good rolls on those Masterworks and doing that is just not really a good time currently.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I don't find GM2 to be all that difficult with just a couple random masterwork items. I mean, the Storm was my last javelin to unlock and I've only played it a handful of times. I put Elemental Rage on it along with 2 components and hopped into GM2 no problem. It takes a bit longer per mission, but nothing crazy.

It's not like I'm particularly good at the game, either. I'm almost never lead trophy earner, I die randomly to stupid mistakes, and sometimes i just do dumb stuff because i think it looks cool. But I've only seen 2 party wipes since reaching 30. We regrouped after each and finished the mission no problem.

When people say GM2 isn't "worth it" i have to shake my head. It's about 16 times more fun than GM1, so in my view, it'd be worth it without any incentive.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Gm2 is much easier if your team is good and is shooting at what you're shooting at. Ultimately for me enemies just having way more health isn't really fun, they need new behaviours or abilities or compositions. I like that I have to remember to avoid damage in gm2 but I don't like how drawn out it feels cos of the health. I'd prefer the enemies did more damage but had less health

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Just had the best possible partner for a GM1 Tyrant Mine.
    Im in a colossus running with Best Defence (+35% health everytime it fires) and Voltiac Dome (Masterwork shock coil that instantly freezes anything it hits)
    My random buddy was also in a colossus with the same skills.
    We ran through the entire stronghold side by side, running up to everything, instantly freezing it and triggering a combo with a punch or giant cannon. We just melted the entire stronghold. between Best Defence and all the health pickups we didn't even really need our shields either because everything just got instantly frozen and punched into oblivion the second it appeared, so our health was never in any real danger.
    It was glorious

• Options
    Been farming mws but ugh, mostly dups with low rolls.

No way i can swap 10 of them for a leggo, ya? I've only seen 1 lego drop all this time. :(

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    GaryO wrote: »
    Just had the best possible partner for a GM1 Tyrant Mine.
    Im in a colossus running with Best Defence (+35% health everytime it fires) and Voltiac Dome (Masterwork shock coil that instantly freezes anything it hits)
    My random buddy was also in a colossus with the same skills.
    We ran through the entire stronghold side by side, running up to everything, instantly freezing it and triggering a combo with a punch or giant cannon. We just melted the entire stronghold. between Best Defence and all the health pickups we didn't even really need our shields either because everything just got instantly frozen and punched into oblivion the second it appeared, so our health was never in any real danger.
    It was glorious

I love that coil effect. I've got the legendary shock coil and the legendary poison spitter that adds like +200% combo damage, I can pretty much one hit elites even on gm2 when I freeze then shatter them with the melee slam. It is delightful.

I'll need to take a screenshot of my stats and show it here for scrutiny cos I'm really bad with optimising stats and shit, but I feel like having 4 legendaries on my colossus was me finally getting back something from the universe

I need to salvage some of my duplicate MWs, but I'm too much of a hoarder and I can't read stats well enough to know what is garbage. I also find myself saying "oh no I might use that for another build" like a true hoarder

Prohass on
  • Options
    In the featured store today:
    - brand new ranger outfit : helmet is pretty cool, the rest is meh, of course you can only buy the whole outfit
    - brand new storm outfit : helmet and arms are cool, rest is meh, buy only complete outfit
    - ranger arrival emote : the spin is okay I guess
    - 2 new paint textures, one metal and one soft : nothing special
    - new decal : dark, small and unremarkable.

The best thing of the whole bunch is the storm outfit, as it makes you look a bit like a scar.

No Colossus or Interceptor stuff means nothing to buy for me for the moment.

• Options
    Is there any higher chance of getting leggos in GM2 or GM1?

I've been focusing solely on my ranger and want to get him maxed out, but I have like 15 MWs I have no use for now after these stronghold re-runs.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Decals should be rewards for tasks, dolling them out drip by drip is just pathetic. The lack of tangible reward to show off for specific tasks is so frustrating. Also we should be able to move and resize the decals

Also the paint textures, it's like, come on.

Give us cool stuff to buy. Pets like a drone or a gabit or something. What am I going to show off my new metal texture to my friend as something to brag about?

I want to be able to strap like a scarab helmet on my belt as a trophy, get banners, doodads for my javelins. It's just the absolute barest minimum crappy storefront

Prohass on
  • Options
    My Colossus looks dumbfounded at the legendary that just dropped in GM1 as it is a shotgun that does something special after dashing :lol:

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »

I've been focusing solely on my ranger and want to get him maxed out, but I have like 15 MWs I have no use for now after these stronghold re-runs.

Nope, which is why most people on reddit have found that the best legendary grind is Heart of Rage on GM1 but quit out after the first 2 chests, then re-run. It's horrible, and leads to Stronghold Quickplay being broken for most, but apparently it's the quickest way to try and get drops.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    MMMig wrote: »

Nope, which is why most people on reddit have found that the best legendary grind is Heart of Rage on GM1 but quit out after the first 2 chests, then re-run. It's horrible, and leads to Stronghold Quickplay being broken for most, but apparently it's the quickest way to try and get drops.

Heart of rage is the fastest to run period, I guess I must have run with some redditors this morning when two of our people dropped after chest 2 even though the monitor fight is the fastest boss save tyrant if you one cycle her.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Based on the tests I ran GM2 is worth it if you were farming GM1 before.
    It's the same difficulty and I was getting around double the amount of loot

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Based on the tests I ran GM2 is worth it if you were farming GM1 before.
    It's the same difficulty and I was getting around double the amount of loot

I ran 6 legendary contracts and a tyrant mine and got 1 more than the guaranteed MWs. So basically fuck you and your not getting screwed by rng.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Damn I see why best defense keeps popping up as a required build for colossus folks. That is some damn nice proccs right there.

Yup as much as I would like to use the flamethrower even the master work of that thing is just so good. Get in a bad pinch hit it and you get a big chunk of healing off it. It also is a really good fast firing detonator so great when you are up in the thick and brawling.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    So, if anyone cares, the whole scaling thing is kinda broken and probably requires at least a partial, if not full, rebuild of their combat system to fix. Essentially numbers don't matter, at all. When you do 2k damage on a shot to an enemy, that doesn't matter because there's no direct correlation to the actual percentage health you're actually doing to the enemy on the back-end. The percent health damage you do is only a direct correlation of your average (not summed) power level. In fact, any epic gear you wear is actively gimping your damage (though it might increase your survivability via inscriptions). It's the same with the amount of damage you take (though there seems to be an inverse relationship here, the higher your average gear level, the more damage you take a a percentage of your health). While this damage done is mostly measured and seen via melee and ultimate, there are anecdotes of people in the thread testing with weapon damage as well and seeing similar effects; ie take off all but legendary gear and it will take less bullets to kill the exact same enemy on the same difficulty.

Apparently the strongest build right now is an interceptor/colossus wearing as much legendary, but nothing else, and can melee cuisinart/smash GM3 as if it were nothing. Doesn't matter what those legendaries are, just the average item level. Also, if you take a naked level 30 range and equip only 1 item, any legendary, your ultimate will do over 1M damage.

We've reached the point where builds literally don't matter at all.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/b1bcbx/powerscaling_why_loot_doesnt_matter_anymore_math/

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/b0znzd/after_running_tests_it_seems_that_to_shields_does/