As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What kind of skis should I buy?

OrcaOrca Also known as EspressosaurusWrexRegistered User regular
Background: I bought my first set of skis this season. They're 180 cm all mountain skis (99 cm base). I think they're the Saloman QST 99s (currently in the shop so I can't check the model). I love them on non-skiied-out powder and groomed runs. They're fantastic! But they suck when I'm in slushy conditions as are typical at this time of year, and I do not have fun with them then. They're also not great when I'm doing mogul runs and chutes.

I'm about 5'5", so call it 165 cm. Type 2-ish skier, and at least as of earlier this season an instructor put me at 4/10 for skill level. A Whistler single black diamond is about as far as I'm willing to push it. I'm most comfortable on Whistler blues. Does anyone else wish the system was absolute instead of relative? Heh.

What sort of skis should I be looking to buy for slush, moguls, tight operating conditions? Preferably with the flexibility to go off-piste without simply sinking into the snow the way rentals usually do.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Those are fine skis, but I think you're not having fun because they are just completely the wrong size for you. At 5'5" and intermediate skill you're probably looking at a 155cm ski, not 180. Shit, I'm 6'2" and ski a 180 (almost entirely off-piste, in the trees etc). Back in the old days you needed skis taller than you, but with modern shaped skis, you usually go shorter than yourself. Whomever sized you into a 180 should be fired. You're not having fun in slush, moguls and chutes because you can't maneuver such a long ski.

What I'd so is demo a nice appropriately sized all mountain ski at 155cm and see how that performs for you, then buy something comparable and sell your existing skis.

Simpsonia on
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    Those are fine skis, but I think you're not having fun because they are just completely the wrong size for you. At 5'5" and intermediate skill you're probably looking at a 155cm ski, not 180. Shit, I'm 6'2" and ski a 180 (almost entirely off-piste, in the trees etc). Back in the old days you needed skis taller than you, but with modern shaped skis, you usually go shorter than yourself. Whomever sized you into a 180 should be fired. You're not having fun in slush, moguls and chutes because you can't maneuver such a long ski.

What I'd so is demo a nice appropriately sized all mountain ski at 155cm and see how that performs for you, then buy something comparable and sell your existing skis.

The instructor didn't blink twice when he sized me against 'em before running me out; is it seriously that bad of a mismatch? 155s just seem tiny compared to even the rentals I've used in the past.

Orca on
    I am now looking into the demo program at my usual haunt; maybe I can get a test run in this weekend.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    180 is definitely on the long side but I think 155 is a bit too short. Unless you are going to the park. You probably want 170ish.

That said skiing in slush is going to suck no matter what skies you have.

@schuss

camo_sig.png
    edited March 2019
    For what it’s worth when I rented it was typically 160 and 170 cm skis. The salesman claimed the design of the skis (rocker-camber-rocker) I bought meant they were equivalent to 170s. That said, I do find I’m not as maneuverable as I was on the rentals so...

Orca on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    @schuss is the ski guy around here and just to echo above those skis are way too long. I'm 6'0 and use 175 my wife is 5'2'' and she uses 155.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Having a rocker on each tip will make the contact length for the ski shorter. In that sense a 180 cm with rocker tips will have a shorter contact area and will act like a shorter ski on groomers (basically whenever you are carving). But that's not the only type of turn. The skis are still longer overall and for sliding, jump turns, bumps, etc the skis will feel like they turn slower and require more work.

If you are doing a lot of bumpy runs you also don't want to go too short though, because those types of runs are easier putting a little more weight on the back of your skis, and if they are super short it becomes very unstable.

Also, your weight/strength will play into the right length a little bit, as heavier/stronger skiers like their skis a little on the long side so they do feel so bouncy.

Anecdotally I am 5'11" (200lbs) and ski on 178 cms.

edit - I will also add that when skiing in wetter snow it is important to get some warm weather wax on your skis, and/or to make sure you are carving and not sliding. The wetter snow tends to be grabby (makes you feel like you are falling forward or very tiring to turn). Carving helps a ton, but having a very hydrophobic wax can help a bit as well.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    99 waist is generally fine for slush/chunder as long as it doesn't have too much side cut.
    I've been out of the game for a few years so no clue on models, but based on your size a 165-170 (West coast, subtract 10 cm for east)would be as long as I'd go unless you have legs of iron. Powder days you can go bigger, but you don't need a quiver at your skill level
    For your skill level I'd recommend demoing until you find a ski you click with, then skiing it religiously in all conditions. As someone not at expert tier yet, you want to eliminate variables so you can focus on skills not adapting to skis.
    I skied everything under the sun on 95mm explosivs for years, and other skis just detracted from my learning.

West coast skiing, so that probably accounts for the difference in recommendations in the thread.

Sounds like I should be looking for demo skis in the 160-170 range for the time being.

@schuss it sounds like you're recommending getting rid of my current set. Sunk cost fallacy makes me not want to do it but... :P When I get rid of the current pair (presumably after finding a set I like), where/how do you recommend doing so? I assume I'm going to get back pennies on the dollar, because that's the way used equipment goes.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Your skiis should not be more than 5cm longer than you, and it's OK if they're up to 5-7% shorter.
    You should try some of the all-mountain skiis since they're more likely to float.

A friend of mine sings the praises of Stöckli Stormriders, but I'm thinking those might be a bit above your budget. Völkl 90Eights?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    Oh God, not stormriders for a newer skier. Those are like steel beams. Volkls generally run stiff too, just FYI.
    There's no one rule for ski length,as it's height, weight, ability, ski type (carving focused go shorter powder go longer) and personal preference. I'm 5'10" and have skis from 165 (slaloms) to 205 (sanouk swallow tail powder skis).
    You don't have to sell the skis, but you may want to put them on the shelf for a bit. Alternatively, go to the gym a lot and do lots of core exercises, squats, lunges and balance work. The fundamental issue of too big or too stiff skis is that you can't bend them enough to make proper turns, which means your technique gets hacky and you don't feel in control.
    Also, make sure you're in the right size boots. If you haven't worked with a reputable bootfitter yet, do so. Skis matter maybe 30%, boots 70%. This could be part of the issue as only in the quick actions of moguls or the demanding single moves of chutes would sloppy boots really come to the fore. Also fuck moguls.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Orca wrote: »
    Background: I bought my first set of skis this season. They're 180 cm all mountain skis (99 cm base). I think they're the Saloman QST 99s (currently in the shop so I can't check the model). I love them on non-skiied-out powder and groomed runs. They're fantastic! But they suck when I'm in slushy conditions as are typical at this time of year, and I do not have fun with them then. They're also not great when I'm doing mogul runs and chutes.

I'm about 5'5", so call it 165 cm. Type 2-ish skier, and at least as of earlier this season an instructor put me at 4/10 for skill level. A Whistler single black diamond is about as far as I'm willing to push it. I'm most comfortable on Whistler blues. Does anyone else wish the system was absolute instead of relative? Heh.

What sort of skis should I be looking to buy for slush, moguls, tight operating conditions? Preferably with the flexibility to go off-piste without simply sinking into the snow the way rentals usually do.

180s seem huge. I'm 6'0" and my 175s are a little long.

For general spring skiing I'd recommend flexy park skis...at like 165cm

Also after you've demo'd a few go on Craigslist. People baby their skis.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    99 waist is generally fine for slush/chunder as long as it doesn't have too much side cut.
    I've been out of the game for a few years so no clue on models, but based on your size a 165-170 (West coast, subtract 10 cm for east)would be as long as I'd go unless you have legs of iron. Powder days you can go bigger, but you don't need a quiver at your skill level
    For your skill level I'd recommend demoing until you find a ski you click with, then skiing it religiously in all conditions. As someone not at expert tier yet, you want to eliminate variables so you can focus on skills not adapting to skis.
    I skied everything under the sun on 95mm explosivs for years, and other skis just detracted from my learning.

I thought I had clicked on the "Need a New Belt" thread

Then I thought I was having a stroke because I could not parse the first three sentences no matter how hard I tried :P

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I thought I had clicked on the "Need a New Belt" thread

Then I thought I was having a stroke because I could not parse the first three sentences no matter how hard I tried :P

1. Skiis that are 99mm wide at the bindings are just fine for watery melt or snow that has been repeatedly gone from slush to frozen and back again (or is otherwise non-optimal), as long as they're not attached to skiis with too much curve (ie, the tips and tails are much wider than the waist).
    2. East coast is icier, bumpier, tighter and colder. West coast is basicly the choice of Hedonismbot. East coast tend to favor heavier, stiffer skiis that cut better (give you better grip when turning), while west coast tend to favor softer and wider skiis since the snow is very airy and light and it helps you stay on top.
    3. Longer skiis means you have to work more when turning, but a bit more stability, glide and lift without sacrificing your performance on icier slopes.
    4. "Having a quiver" is basicly owning multiple pairs of skiis so that you always have the perfect pair of skiis. Expensive as fuck (since you can easily blow 1000$ on a pair of skiis+bindings)
    5. "Demoing" is a specific type of renting where you rent a pair of skiis for the day, and if you buy them the store will subtract that demofee from the price.

P.S: American skiiers are very slang/terminology heavy, and compared to Europeans americans treat skiing as less vacation/hobby and more a choice of lifestyle. It takes a lot of time to get used to their vernacular.
    P.P.S: I wouldn't describe newer Völkls as stiff. More like...springy/snappy. Stormriders are indeed very stiff, and more suited to advanced skiiers.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    Thanks, I used to talk skis constantly, so I sometimes forget I'm not posting to a ski community.
    Also re:demos - manufacturers will often also have demo days where if you show up to a mountain you can try any of their skis for free. Also on mountain shop demos are the best as you can change out to another pair after a few runs. Should only take a few days to find what you like if you're trying 2-4 pairs per demo day.

On the mountain now with some Fischer pro mt. 95s that are 170. Let the best ski win!