As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    First episode of that Netflix thing was pretty good, it's definitely more of an explainer of what f1 is rather than anything more at this point though. Still, it's nice to see embedded stuff and it should build on things the series progresses I hope.

I saw the first 2 episodes and its really good. Great cinematography, the most current season. Really gets my hype up for the upcoming season. I even bought the season pass for formula1.com to watch the races.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    ok i'm 90 seconds into the mclaren episode* of this new F1 doc and i'm already cringing

(well, the one that opens with mclaren)

Jasconius on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    ok i'm 90 seconds into the mclaren episode* of this new F1 doc and i'm already cringing

Are you watching the Netflix or Amazon doc? The Amazon one is a McLaren fluff piece, and the Netflix one is a pretty good look into all the teams (except for Mercedes and ferrari), and their journey through 2018. Binged it saturday, I recommend it.

The Force India headquarters are not what I was expecting it to be, and yet it seems perfect for them.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    F1 2018 is free to play on Steam for the next couple of days, and 75% off until next week. Good time to take a look!

Bought'd, thanks.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Veevee wrote: »

Are you watching the Netflix or Amazon doc? The Amazon one is a McLaren fluff piece, and the Netflix one is a pretty good look into all the teams (except for Mercedes and ferrari), and their journey through 2018. Binged it saturday, I recommend it.

The Force India headquarters are not what I was expecting it to be, and yet it seems perfect for them.

the netflix one

the amazon one is a comedy because it is *meant* to be a fluff piece but is in fact an open portal to hell

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Well, this is sad. Charlie Whiting has died. He's been race director for a heck of a long time, and was due at the Australian GP this weekend, before passing.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/47564762

• Options
    edited March 2019

the netflix one

the amazon one is a comedy because it is *meant* to be a fluff piece but is in fact an open portal to hell

A comedy narrated by Michael Douglas no less!

EDIT: And yeah, devestating news about Charlie Whiting. He was such a fixture in F1 over the past 2 decades and 66 is really way too young to die.

EDIT2: And here is a great obituary for Whiting - https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/charlie-whiting-obituary/4352149/

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Jesus, a pulmonary embolism. Could be from DVT from so many flights...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    That's so sad. F1 really won't be the same without you, Charlie. RIP.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm gutted :( I've watched Formula 1 seriously for over a decade and Charlie was an icon. Through new cars, owners, drivers, whatever, Charlie was always there to press the button just as the clock ticked over, setting off an explosion.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Terrible news about Whiting... so sudden

I finished the Netflix series. I'm a little surprised at some of the subject matter they chose, but I guess it could be to do with Mercedes and Ferrari not cooperating with interviews

No mention of Hamilton/Bottas, Vettel/Hamilton... very little focus on Kimi

But still it was very good... and as usual, revealing about how seemingly ramshackle things are just off the podium.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    Shocked and saddened by Charlie's death. Like the rest of you, I just can't imagine him not being there. No matter what happened, you always saw that the entire grid liked and respected him. An impressive feat considering the job he had.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Terrible news about Whiting... so sudden

I finished the Netflix series. I'm a little surprised at some of the subject matter they chose, but I guess it could be to do with Mercedes and Ferrari not cooperating with interviews

No mention of Hamilton/Bottas, Vettel/Hamilton... very little focus on Kimi

But still it was very good... and as usual, revealing about how seemingly ramshackle things are just off the podium.

The omission that I was suprised by is not making more of the fact that McLaren and Torro Rosso were on the Honda, making Red Bull's decision making a bit more complex. But I guess that level of technical semantics wasn't really the focus.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    That’s just not fair to lose Charlie like that.

Just over 3 hours until FP1. I’ll be watching and listening through my F1TV Pro Subscription.

• Options
    I'm not sure if many of you knew about the "Fake Charlie Whiting" parody twitter account, but the guy that ran it put up this as a tribute, felt it was worth sharing:

• Options
    man Sky's coverage is so good

great tidbit in practice

they've reduced the peak temperatures of the tire warmers for the rear tires so that the teams can no longer deflate the rears down to play-doh before race starts... they said it amounts to a 3 PSI resting difference

that is a fucking huge difference. we're going to see some squirrely damn racecars this year

• Options
    Really excited for Q to see what the real pace is of all the cars.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Just so everyone knows, I’m probably going to cancel and request refund on F1TV Pro. The app experience is like a middle school programming class project that still isn’t finished. It was fine last year, no idea what they were thinking. There is no ability to scrub back and forth on recorded video and any time you leave the app or the video stutters for whatever reason, it starts from the beginning again. And to repeat, there is no way to scrub ahead to where you were and it certainly doesn’t save your place.

Like, I can’t use my device for anything else without having to watch FP1 from the beginning again and it doesn’t allow you to cast the feed to anywhere else like chrome cast or Apple TV.

I can’t even test out the good ideas they have like multiple camera views and audio streams because trying to start those messes up the video feed and it starts with over again.

Very frustrating.

Edit: of course as soon as I post this I go back to try again because why not and finally figure out how to scrub. It is NOT intuitive. Maybe I’ll keep trying. Would be nice to cast to my big screen though.

davidsdurions on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    some stray observations...

the nose of the Mercedes is really weird and thin... they added a little bit of paint to the Haas to make it look not terrible... its ok on camera. certainly better than at first... sure there's sandbagging going on right now but it does look like we have a real chance at a true 3-team fight at the top, thank god

the williams, to nobodies surprise, looks completely undriveable and horrendously slow....

oh yeah and the ferrari paint looks horrible....

Jasconius on
  • Options
    I had a look into practice this morning (F1 TV is really stuttering. Hope that clears up for the race).

I love the look of the Renault.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Gonna be interesting to see how things play out in two weeks. Everyone seems high on Ferrari but you have to wonder how much Merc is sandbagging.

ololol

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Gonna be interesting to see how things play out in two weeks. Everyone seems high on Ferrari but you have to wonder how much Merc is sandbagging.

ololol

Yeah but Friday results mean nothing.
    Mercedes are still sandbagging. :(

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

ololol

The visual presentation of the gaps in that article
    Williams...
    or rather
    ... ... ... Williams

• Options
    edited March 2019
    honovere wrote: »

ololol

The visual presentation of the gaps in that article
    Williams...
    or rather
    ... ... ... Williams
    Wow.

Mercedes>>>>>>>>everyone else>>>>>>>>Williams

That's... uh... bloody hell.

At least the potential for midfield scrapping looks good?

Jazz on
  • Options
    Does F1 have a minimum laptime that must be maintained to not be black flagged?

2 full seconds from the rest of the field. If that is how qualifying shakes out, I think they should probably be black flagged before the race. They are nothing but a danger to the rest of the field when they're that far off the pace.

• Options
    Does F1 have a minimum laptime that must be maintained to not be black flagged?

2 full seconds from the rest of the field. If that is how qualifying shakes out, I think they should probably be black flagged before the race. They are nothing but a danger to the rest of the field when they're that far off the pace.

I believe they brought back the 107% rule but it's much more lax now. Used to be if you couldn't post 107% of the poll time or better in qualifying you didn't qualify. Now that there aren't a bunch of extra teams trying to run you can set the time in practice/make excuses for why you couldn't/I'm not even sure if it's poll or just best Q1 time.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    107% of pole time to make race day

but considering Williams' legacy status... it would be nearly scandalous to DQ them on those grounds

• Options
    I was gonna post that it's be under 107% or ask Charlie nicely and now I'm sad. :(

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Going off P1 times, Williams is about 106.5% off Hamilton's time. Close, but if Mercedes is sandbagging still (They are) Williams might be in trouble

• Options
    evilbob wrote: »
    I was gonna post that it's be under 107% or ask Charlie nicely and now I'm sad. :(

:sad:

:bro:

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    This doesn't bode well for the season.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    It's a shame that Kubica is finally driving again and he's in such a terrible car. Williams now being the backmarker team is rather unfortunate. They used to be one of the best but now...

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I don't actually believe that Ferrari or Red Bull are 8/10th's off Mercedes....but as I expected the Merc is much quicker than they've let on in testing and up until this point.

Which is fine with me. As a Lewis Hamilton fan I'm fully in "Career Milestone" watch at this point and want to see Lewis take the wins record and tie Michael on the championships list.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    i think if williams ended up like.... 109% off or something... then there would have to be serious discussions

because being slow is one thing, but the in-cars of the Williams make it look downright uncontrollable under braking, which makes them a categorical hazard

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I just saw something about Indy Car going to COTA. Are they going to run on the same course? When was the last time F1 and CART equivalent ran the same course so we could 1to1 compare?

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »
    I just saw something about Indy Car going to COTA. Are they going to run on the same course? When was the last time F1 and CART equivalent ran the same course so we could 1to1 compare?

it's already happened, at least for testing sake... Indy is like 10-15 seconds slower per lap

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Frikken awesome end of Q1

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Folks, big, shocking news!
    Mercedes is still really fast

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »

it's already happened, at least for testing sake... Indy is like 10-15 seconds slower per lap

In fact, there’s a side by side video of it. Not 100% representative, as one is Hamilton’s pole lap and the other is a testing lap, but still fun to watch.

https://youtu.be/2Ft3Ug_YthM

• Options
    Quali
    Hamilton (mostly) nailed it. Bottas was closer than expected. Merc well clear of the field. Typically at this point the internet jumps to "no competition", "Merc have it won already" etc, but the gap was similar last year in quali and the race but the season was far from settled.

Red Bull hard to judge with Gasly out in Q1. Verstappen splitting the Ferrari's was a strong result but it just feels like they're struggling to get pace out of the car. Haas put in a very strong showing in the midfield group - but again, the same thing happened last year. Norris put in a good performance in the McLaren, Renault a bit disappointing. The rest of the midfield is very mixed with rapidly changing conditions and gaps in driver talent splitting teams all over the place.

The exception is, unfortunately, Williams. It doesn't look good, does it? The car is poor, the organization seems a mess and they're the firm back markers. Kubica's pace looks bad, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt for the incident. That he has been grumbling to the press already might mean he's more bother than he's worth if the pace doesn't improve though. I hope they can recover as the season goes on. It's not like they don't have the tools either - they have one of the best engines on the grid. I suspect though that having a strong engine masked deficiencies in their area package over the past few years, except now the other engines have (mostly) 'caught up'.

So yeah, far too soon to make any firm judgements for the season.

This discussion has been closed.