As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Blizzard to restore Classics: Diablo 2 Resurrected September 23rd!

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    the design that modern mmos remind me most of nowadays are theme parks; everybody's on the same ride having the same experience which insists that you're centered in the story, but your actual agency is reduced to picking which ride to go on next

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    The advantage held by FFXIV is that right from the very start the game is presented to the player as a single player game that allows you to play with other people who are also playing a single player game. Game progress is not about gear level, but about story completion. You can't skip story content by and large and the game treats story content as a reward.

WoW on the other hand treats the story as a joke half the time, as something to skip over to get to the good stuff. Sometimes the player is the center of the story, sometimes just another body out in the world. Typically the player's status resets every expansion which produces a narrative focus that is all over the place. Consistency would go a long way to creating more of a coherent story and feel of the story.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    the design that modern mmos remind me most of nowadays are theme parks; everybody's on the same ride having the same experience which insists that you're centered in the story, but your actual agency is reduced to picking which ride to go on next

Eh isn't that what is literally called "theme-park MMO"?

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    The advantage held by FFXIV is that right from the very start the game is presented to the player as a single player game that allows you to play with other people who are also playing a single player game. Game progress is not about gear level, but about story completion. You can't skip story content by and large and the game treats story content as a reward.

WoW on the other hand treats the story as a joke half the time, as something to skip over to get to the good stuff. Sometimes the player is the center of the story, sometimes just another body out in the world. Typically the player's status resets every expansion which produces a narrative focus that is all over the place. Consistency would go a long way to creating more of a coherent story and feel of the story.

I'm playing both XIV and WoW at the moment, and each definitely has its pluses and minuses.

XIV excells in its story and presentation. It's essentially a single-player Final Fantasy with multiplayer dungeons and boss fights. There's hardly any "Run around and collect 10 X" quests. My biggest complaint is how small and sectioned off the world is. While travel is a lot easier (on-demand teleportation FTW), the world itself feels disjointed due to the way it's constructed, which is likely due to the fact that the game was originally designed for the PS3.

WoW has a much more united world. Zones flow a lot better. It feels like a world rather than stages. But, at least in early levels (my current character is only level 42), it just feels like really repetitive busy work with no payoff. It's just about grinding through one unremarkable quest after another to gain levels.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Caedwyr wrote: »

I'm playing both XIV and WoW at the moment, and each definitely has its pluses and minuses.

XIV excells in its story and presentation. It's essentially a single-player Final Fantasy with multiplayer dungeons and boss fights. There's hardly any "Run around and collect 10 X" quests. My biggest complaint is how small and sectioned off the world is. While travel is a lot easier (on-demand teleportation FTW), the world itself feels disjointed due to the way it's constructed, which is likely due to the fact that the game was originally designed for the PS3.

WoW has a much more united world. Zones flow a lot better. It feels like a world rather than stages. But, at least in early levels (my current character is only level 42), it just feels like really repetitive busy work with no payoff. It's just about grinding through one unremarkable quest after another to gain levels.

WoW also excels in feeling better to play. Some combination of netcode, animations, and system-level stuff makes it feel better to push in button in WoW than any other MMO, imo.

• Options
    WoW has always felt pretty smooth to play in comparison to its competition of the era. It has always been a bit of a janky experience going to other MMOs.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    There has been a LOT more ability lag in bfa. I realize in general there is more data being passed, but they havent done shit to upgrade their servers. 40v40 was possible in past expansions with maybe some fps loss. Now everything lags out if its even 15v15

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    There has been a LOT more ability lag in bfa. I realize in general there is more data being passed, but they havent done shit to upgrade their servers. 40v40 was possible in past expansions with maybe some fps loss. Now everything lags out if its even 15v15

You really see this in War Mode a lot around Tortollan WQ sites. There'll suddenly be a raid there and everyone in the entire zone can't do shit.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    that shit happens in the 40v40 battlegrounds, where they probably should have that crap ironed out. but yea its always fun just doing whatever in a zone then suddenly you push buttons and nothing happens, and someone in general says "theres an (opposite faction) raid at X location". Even in non warmode when there are the invasion things, everything can lag really hard. It really makes it seem more like wow is just on life support with cursory looks towards developing new stuff. They sure arent investing in any hardware.

I hope the WC3 remaster comes with some server upgrades as well because they weren't all that hot back in the day, but i seriously doubt they will do much with it.

• Options
    that shit happens in the 40v40 battlegrounds, where they probably should have that crap ironed out. but yea its always fun just doing whatever in a zone then suddenly you push buttons and nothing happens, and someone in general says "theres an (opposite faction) raid at X location". Even in non warmode when there are the invasion things, everything can lag really hard. It really makes it seem more like wow is just on life support with cursory looks towards developing new stuff. They sure arent investing in any hardware.

I hope the WC3 remaster comes with some server upgrades as well because they weren't all that hot back in the day, but i seriously doubt they will do much with it.

That's pathetic. I last played in MoP/beginning of WoD and I don't remember it being that bad. There'd be a problem sometimes on World Boss fights with like 80 people, but I don't remember the game having significant network issues for lots of players outside of that.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

Warcraft 3 is mostly peer to peer, with the clients kept in perfect sync. Any in-game lag is due to that, not anything on Blizzard's end.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    You cannot overstate how much better WoW's interface was. All other games had shit tier interfaces, now all of them mimic WoW's or improves over it.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    That was immensly helped by the UI being incredibly moddable.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

This is true, but it was also a conscious design decision on the WoW Devs staff to expose that to the players.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I've used various custom UIs over the years.

These days, playing casually, I just use the default UI. It's 100% fine for my purposes.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I remember back in Vanilla / TBC my guild insisted that I get a particular raid mod. I asked why it was necessary and they rattled off features - most of which I didn't need nor were pertinent to raiding. The one function that actually was, was a thing that would pop text up on the center of your screen about shit going on in the fight. Buuuuuuut it turns out that kind of info would happen with the game's normal feedback system, like bosses emoting and shit.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    I remember back in Vanilla / TBC my guild insisted that I get a particular raid mod. I asked why it was necessary and they rattled off features - most of which I didn't need nor were pertinent to raiding. The one function that actually was, was a thing that would pop text up on the center of your screen about shit going on in the fight. Buuuuuuut it turns out that kind of info would happen with the game's normal feedback system, like bosses emoting and shit.

People wanted everyone to have ctraid because the mod would only work with other people that had the mod, which was important for healers and decursors. There were some other things that were nice to have, but that was the primary thing.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I mean, look at this shit

5ime2k3wl0rd.png

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Gah, what even is that? Is that Everquest or something?

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

correct

my nostalgia is flaring up

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

To be fair most people played in transparent view, not that old timey view. But yeah eq is a hard game to look at.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Not all old MMOs looked terrible leave my baby alone!
    tw6hj0ragphq.jpg

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Jesus, how did we ever play these things.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    EQs UI was moddable every bit as much as WoWs, it was just harder to find mods

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

and harder to get the damned things to work correctly

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Someone is trying to get their Hoary robe.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Vladimer wrote: »

I had the most beautiful UI for EQ

• Options
    Vladimer wrote: »

I had the most beautiful UI for EQ

I 100% believe this, but configuration was like 20 hours worth of work with those damn files lol

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Star Wars Galaxies(how I miss it) had the most intuitive and minimalist UI of any MMO of its time up until WoW came by a year and a half later.

SsSr5iq.jpg
    (yes, that is a player house with a wookie food vendor set up in it)

It even had a unified bag system, which 15 years later WoW still can't quite grasp without a player mod.
    t5ldFfb.jpg
    KXrBApC.jpg

It was pretty competitive with WoW's in terms of minimalism, you can see a lot of the UI elements that were very similar to what eventually formed vanilla WoW's UI. WoW's claim to fame though was moddability, and it definitely "felt" more responsive to play by comparison - but beyond that I don't think in itself it was particularly more impressive than some of the things that came before it.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    AFAIK, Dark Age of Camelot had a similarly modern UI three years before WoW came out.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Is it bad that I really want to play EQ again because of that screen shot?

• Options
    edited March 2019
    urahonky wrote: »
    Is it bad that I really want to play EQ again because of that screen shot?

STAY STRONG, THIS IS WHAT WE HAVE THE MEETINGS FOR

Vladimer on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Recently I've been thinking about how great the Scars of Velius expansion was in EQ. That was pretty much the pinnacle of that game, in my opinion.

Of course, if I were to log in to EQ today, that content would be irrelevant and trivial. Same problem WoW has.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Matrix Online was also pretty minimalist, but mainly because the entire combat of the game was just rock paper scissors.

And yes, I miss that game a lot too.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    It was post-WoW, but I remember the interface of City of Heroes feeling really clean.
    But I never really spent much time in other MMOs, so I don't have much to compare it too.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    Someone is trying to get their Hoary robe.

Mattekars ain't gonna kill themselves.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    GuildNavGuildNav Registered User regular
    The lack of Ultima Online pictures on this page is making me sad.
    (I'm at work and the firewall blocked every one I tried to share)

• Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    GuildNav wrote: »
    The lack of Ultima Online pictures on this page is making me sad.
    (I'm at work and the firewall blocked every one I tried to share)

qce3qlb89eju.jpg

Here you go @GuildNav ! This is my house from UO back in the day. It got used by some of the sites since we had one of the first small houses in the game I believe.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I don't like addons that combine bags. I like "specializing" what each bag holds.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    I don't like addons that combine bags. I like "specializing" what each bag holds.

Well, the thing is Galaxies had so many novel ways to organize and categorize your items that it didn't matter at all if your core inventory was a single space. But WoW is so regressive in how it allows you to manage your inventory by comparison that it's hard to imagine it came out a year and a half after Galaxies, and even harder to imagine that it hasn't significantly changed in 15 years.