As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I got a bunch of 40k stuff from a seller on ebay he sent along something extra
    Paint!
    9ta2hfabx673.png
    da4ld1vodmvl.png
    A lot of it is dried out or settled. I know just by shaking a few it came back to paint but it needed a lot of mixing or stiring to get back to the color it was. is it worth trying to resuscitate?

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Those are foundation paints so they’re gonna naturally be thicker and goopier. Try adding acrylic medium instead of water, and agitator beads. That should fix anything that’s not just a solid rubbery lump.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    Those are foundation paints so they’re gonna naturally be thicker and goopier. Try adding acrylic medium instead of water, and agitator beads. That should fix anything that’s not just a solid rubbery lump.

Some of them are kind of a slimy lump
    I was using a toothpick to see if I can stir them back up one of them is maybe not going to make it the rest are just in need of a stir

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Purple
    e: Never mind, just read you ARE NOT supposed to thin VSP.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

If VSP is vallejo surface primer you definitely can thin it and it dries faster. I used thinner when I primed my two imperial knights and warglaives.

It absolutely isn't required for a good prime though.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Purple
    Stragint wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »

If VSP is vallejo surface primer you definitely can thin it and it dries faster. I used thinner when I primed my two imperial knights and warglaives.

It absolutely isn't required for a good prime though.

I think this might depend on the material that you're priming. In my experience, if it's thinned even slightly it'll have a really hard time adhering to metal.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Purple
    I feel like a broken record having to say this every time it comes up - VSP can definitely very by the bottle, and the vast majority of the time I have to thin it quite a bit to not immediately clog my airbrush (like, somewhere around 2:1 VSP to airbrush thinner). I've never had anything close to the experience others describe here of being able to throw it straight in and go. It 100% works fine thinned.

• BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Guys painting Space Marine Centurions is the worst

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Purple
    I believe it. Which is why after my last game, I've decided to go all Primaris Marines. No more tiny, squatting marines for me.

Besides, Shadowspear looks awesome. And they might not play the best, but I'll rotate other stuff in as they release new models. Like Primaris devs. I can't wait for those.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    Botznoy wrote: »

I really want to get Centurions because I think they look cool, but they're ridiculously expensive and I hear they're not that great on the table.

I can see how painting them would be a difficult process.

I managed to get them for half price and apparently they got their point cost slashed in half aswell?

IZF2byN.jpg

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Purple

I really want to get Centurions because I think they look cool, but they're ridiculously expensive and I hear they're not that great on the table.

Right now they are probably one of the best space marine units. They got an huge points decrease.

Stacking multiple + to hit on crimson fists ones is an incredible amount of firepower with bolterdrill.

If you want to kill hordes of dudes dead then they are your guys.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    Norgoth wrote: »

Right now they are probably one of the best space marine units. They got an huge points decrease.

Stacking multiple + to hit on crimson fists ones is an incredible amount of firepower with bolterdrill.

If you want to kill hordes of dudes dead then they are your guys.

Are we talking Devastator or Assault centurions?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Purple
    I can't edit comments on my work pc apparently... Follow up being, bolter drill only works for the hurricane bolters and not the heavy bolters, correct?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Bolter drill should work for any bolt type weapon. Bolter discipline only works on rapid fire bolt weapons, like boltguns or bolt rifles.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Do bolters shoot paint now?

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Asher wrote: »
    I have been painting the Shadespire warbands! this is really giving me my painting mojo back. Got these guys a week ago and I've managed to carve out enough painting time to get Steelheart's Champions done. Garracks Reavers are also 80% of the way there.

iOKOqXJ.jpg?1
    JqOcNoO.jpg?2
    C2R6PKh.jpg?1
    6Lgj7By.jpg?1

Had heaps of fun painting them, and doing the little conversions too. Of course I'd forgotten how good my camera was at finding all the little flaws and bits I've missed and need to touch up, so I guess there's more to be done ... :P

your skin tones are so fucking good, depth with out being muddled, great highlighting...god man so good.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Bolter drill should work for any bolt type weapon. Bolter discipline only works on rapid fire bolt weapons, like boltguns or bolt rifles.
    That's part of the reason why all the new SM weapons popping up are 'bolty bolts of boltiness,' so that they also are included in the bolter drill rules.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I finally bought some paint and brushes and stuff so I can stop freeloading off my buddy who got me into this in the first place

r7jxpqk9cmyq.jpg

Gonna start painting some of my Deathwatch fellas' chapter shoulder pads, and do some touch up work on them otherwise

Rius on
    Shoulderpads!

I didn't get Maccrag Blue to do my Novamarines fella, but these eight are pretty good to go and the tenth is a Black Shield so he's already fine. I need to work a bit more on the Space Wolves one, I'm not really happy with that, but the rest came out pretty nice.

qyz8e3qlcgvl.jpg

• AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Draeven wrote: »

your skin tones are so fucking good, depth with out being muddled, great highlighting...god man so good.
    Thanks man! I really, really enjoy painting skin and I've been having a lot of fun recently and over the last few years playing around with different skin tones. Human faces are really facinating and kinda creepy when you start really looking at what colours they are. On the same note, I finished Garreks Reavers (except Tagors top knot which I juuuust noticed)

WgF8HW1.jpg?1
    The main man! They don't call him Garrek Pristine Beard thats for sure.

fDBecwM.jpg?1
    Saek gon give it to ya. (It is the Axe)

4071Z5E.jpg?1
    Krasus the Cursed. Pretty cursed I guess. Cursed to not have his face be in focus for the camera.

kt7Ft7P.jpg?1
    Arnulf, the gangs #1 redshirt!

1DfHZ7e.jpg?1
    Tagore is also here!

I've also got started on the Farstriders. Loving painting fur cloaks.
    FIIwoNE.jpg?1
    4FeVi6e.jpg?1

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • CreganTurCreganTur Registered User regular
    I never knew there was a mini painting thread here- this is exciting!

Took a masterclass from the Miniature Monthly people a few weeks ago and just recently completed the project I started at that class.

Miniature photography is something I've always struggled with, despite a lot of advice over the years, so this photo is a bit on the rough side.
    UV0vsT4h.jpg

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Purple
    That's super good!
    [edit] Also "Welcome", I suppose. ;P I'm definitely not the introductions guy, as may now be apparent.

ArcticLancer on
    I've never tried edge highlighting before, but I wanted to paint something from scratch tonight so I figured what the hell. I assembled one of my Space Marine Heroes from those blind boxes and started doing him up in Dark Angels colors. Finally got to a point where it was time to put some highlights on.

I tell you, while I'm doing it, I fuckin' hate it and I think it looks ugly (because my lines are anything but thin and graceful.) But then I put him on the table and step back a step and damn it. It looks pretty good. Might have to keep practicing this.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Edge highlighting is one of those things that really makes a model pop, even if you do it a bit sloppy (like me)

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    KetBra wrote: »
    Edge highlighting is one of those things that really makes a model pop, even if you do it a bit sloppy (like me)

For whatever reason for me it's what brings everything together, even if I'm not going to paint every little diode and button just getting the edge highlighting done makes me weirdly prideful.

IZF2byN.jpg

For edge highlighting- are you using the edge of your brush or the tip?

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Purple
    Use whichever part of the brush works better for you.

For that GW look you would generally do at least 3 edge highlights:
    1. Thick one with a mix of the base and highlight colors
    2. Thinner one with just highlight color
    3. Thinnest one just on upper edge where light would hit with a mix of highlight color and a brighter color (white, yellow, etc)

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    Use whichever part of the brush works better for you.

I didn't want to offer advice if he was already using the side of the brush.

Edge highlighting is easier if you use the side of the brush against the edge you want to highlight since the surface area is greater and it's not as easy to wander as using the tip. This isn't always practical due to the sculpt, but can make these easier as a rule of thumb.

Yeah I used the side of the brush where possible. I'm not actually wild about the fiddly-ness of edge highlighting, and I definitely don't ever want to go to the extremes with it that GW's box art does. But it does look really nice on a few, really prominent surfaces.

Purple
    Rius wrote: »
    I've never tried edge highlighting before, but I wanted to paint something from scratch tonight so I figured what the hell. I assembled one of my Space Marine Heroes from those blind boxes and started doing him up in Dark Angels colors. Finally got to a point where it was time to put some highlights on.

I tell you, while I'm doing it, I fuckin' hate it and I think it looks ugly (because my lines are anything but thin and graceful.) But then I put him on the table and step back a step and damn it. It looks pretty good. Might have to keep practicing this.

I don't necessarily want to run an imperial fists army, but I've been jonesing to paint one. Those blind box marines are a great solution and I might grab one on the way home from work.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    edited March 2019
    Khraul wrote: »

I don't necessarily want to run an imperial fists army, but I've been jonesing to paint one. Those blind box marines are a great solution and I might grab one on the way home from work.

It worked great for my purposes, plus they have sculpted bases already which is nice. They have some nice poses, too.

Open it at the store because you might get the rare lieutenant dude and that's not exactly a normal marine for painting purposes xD

Rius on
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    After doing Tyranids for so long, Genestealer Cult are a pure joy to paint. A lot more room for color and diversity. Here’s a bunch of bad dudes.
    Bb5RCh6.jpg

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    That Dominus conversion is radical

04xkcuvaav19.png
    Purple
    Khraul wrote: »

It worked great for my purposes, plus they have sculpted bases already which is nice. They have some nice poses, too.

Open it at the store because you might get the rare lieutenant dude and that's not exactly a normal marine for painting purposes xD

Or the even rarer Brother-Captain Thessalius.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I got a new desk for hobby stuff! I can finally stop crowding the corner of my computer desk with painting stuff

1516zodzqe3n.jpg

And the first project I'm going to finish on it is the kill team I've been dragging my feet on for Adepticon

v2ozxrr73f7u.jpg

Purple
    I'm assembling some more of my Dark Imperium models, and I swear I've cut myself on these models more than any other I've put together.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Purple
    I bought a leather finger protector off ebay a couple of years ago. Came in a two-pack. One for thumb and one for other finger.

No cuts since I got them, and I use the knife pointing towards my fingers.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    Purple
    I've never heard of that, but I'm looking now.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Purple
    My first 40k models were the first edition space hulk ones. I had seen glimpses of Warhammer models through store windows and in a friends copy of white dwarf and begged my parents to buy it when I can across a copy in a discount store.

On getting it home my father sat me down, eager to show me how to handle the craft knife to cut them off the sprue. He a little hesitant having only allowed me to use safety scissors to clip parts for airfix kits previously. He gave a big long speech on the correct way to hold a knife, how to cut, how to protect the surface I’m cutting on.

And then immediately slashed his hand open trying to cut a genestealer off a sprue.

And that’s the story of why my mother would only let me use nail clippers to build models for about five years.

This discussion has been closed.