As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[3D Printing] A toy to build toys...New to the hobby....

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Someone linked to the dragonlock kickstarter in our 3d printer channel on slack. Looks pretty cool and wasn't sure if anyone had seen/used any of the others.

PSN: jfrofl
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Had I waited a few months I'd probably have bought an Ender 5 instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0uxK_uRyjQ

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    hot damn I should get that

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Yeah, I may be pushing up getting one if I can sell a few more things.

Wow. So upgrading the stepper drivers makes a huge difference in sound levels. I'll have to look into doing that since I have my printer on my desk. It's not massively loud, but it is a constant sound.

19:50 for the sound comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H41hIXdB6js

Does anyone know of good modeling software for more organic shapes?

Radiation wrote: »
    Does anyone know of good modeling software for more organic shapes?

ZBrush seems to be the most popular one. It's commercial though.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Blender is free and extremely powerful* but has a learning cliff.

*See the line in my sig about dragons.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    This was pretty darn interesting about how stepper motors work under the hood. I knew they use magnets, but how do they work etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWMai3oirnM

3d printing all the different types of motors just to get a feel for how to build them always seems fun.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited February 2019
    Oh, I don't think I've advocated it here on the forums, but I was listening to the audiobook The Perfectionists: How Precision Engineers Created the Modern World. Pretty good listen/read, but it does talk about jet engines and I kind of want to print one out now.

Edit: This is less related than I thought it was. I was thinking motor=engine.

Still though, neat stuff.

Radiation on
    great now I want a CNC again, thanks

Pfft. I don't think my CNC could handle a jet engine.
    I mean, I guess it could.

I was more thinking about using one of the many designs on thingiverse to print it out and just marvel at it.

edited February 2019
    So printed out the v2.0 of the pen box for my buddy. I really like being able to print things to get a feel for them before machining them out.
    I'm not quite 100% on this, but going to meetup with my buddy and ask his opinions. I think I'l maybe suggest a roundover on the top lid portion at least (which I wont need the machine to do). Or maybe flip the top and middle (so thin portion is the middle body)

I do think adding one to the home shop would augment things nicely.
    mcPGDXhoQ_OXGra0b6r-9klZ5lE6_RTLYlhxHf8A_26_Mak3bDr_vCY6W2yAGNccZXXDatSHCJLHx19zBX_ELLvwFBoIDmgR55I0UAN5N3aDKlvC3a8MzpvNvaTqFHVydDzk7feRNUXHj9rN7rWmnS51xYdH-4rYriAQsgkXNfj6EM2SoM0EMtCYAFihU2fypZk7GrnD1-zxnhN7RNBabO5z-YOCd8ncchRSP1vayFWRWgJSIk8S1O9OpW4TOkJdScH9B8OfPmw00gy9HS5uCgBH_2bSvZEobZLlN31Q5OQVFkXEJ0uwuiE09SFw42UgANpeJ8dG9f4K74h4LVmVHrI4V1OF0yUx9egwu3OUdee8bopr5ESDQgJMcv79QaoJfqzdML79XLprTzBlcPQUOdv7GCahWmeB7DoQ6hE73KABpMDZvW5MR0YcUCiv_oPh95dhdH8waYMgPCmMSzfxlDV-PsnaLaDHqjFq3LvawG70kmWa2faBG4z9QxZKvw_N_HAw1bVh553Ds6mIxmOJtBlFUGGLx6cdiUxkkhOVEePKix1XBlDDMDVwzNT8GIntC-Z5cPuDqjYdDg3Zh5vhtZ9xZksXSgcGIrfIUQNn_SBCgKfqF5Bv7t7B0FgyILyoNet1RWHwfQRzoop_ixhbXrCWe6qgfDgTFmeeUN7ix9GEMJad0mHLfQ9IObA7JUwDGatpIfDPpawJ7KFmWrVIIJcx=w1292-h970-no

hGgz3VPNUA-RCxmFztgPspmpUvifN0kVCYYbqXQ-mHqDCK5lboI5c4M6JARUNFeGQ10rGOW7Id0fSqeuYkwNuQh_G4Erq_WMSENa1GAfM2HM-Q-BV7rrdQErk9yS4fGXNUPmzwUAef4pAjyvbVW2gS9WfPVHgwxeYl6pW0aMOAgSVzi3RzqrVysqqDv-Jw5jd1PcuY66xs4svLQzt8g7b64Stz_ewU3ZH6prwaD_wzbj9mTJj7x9pRlEUTAJXdel1rTSj7HrV_hhwsqxFSa6d4qRzx4NKh6lC-HR9YjD9xwe9CyV3CW6gfhdDnV3SYrcu97Y-OJ_iCsLdMlbp6dMeZAdduogiPGg3QCFfv6_DjOImFAVXTEK4ALOCinNVNHClld15BozLGuV2Em-CrK9WTe2zr-Ekw06H0yJbuxXHmY9t2-d6lIKuN1PKyZtt_GGqBfE5EKd23UBaTg00GyujHRTvMsIDPcK-rjYGiUU56cdiFLiVzHg2HscNHu5r_ws3SH81Y2srgIbGJZvRABSY2f5dUpx1v3YBaheThPS2i4w7FIibFEU-ojub0CmiozLNEtkXK0EZTEYYNVq-SsC3N-oCOxbLXa9IIc_xwUMSMEnCS0ZlHWq2DDe9sgYxNpeSof11I9QaeXocHhi8hT16YgBG4DTKQrDH_fcY3r6wacFuabb7s2vMalw-CjiHMHoBY3H2AZQfKKuWlzfw_eQZEaI=w1292-h970-no

Radiation on
    Saw this on Thingiverse and just had to print it as some scatter terrain.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3460882
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3451361

c6Kdh4j.jpg

edited March 2019
    Got my new control board and stepper drivers, so that's my weekend project settled.

The drivers can plug'n'play in legacy mode and work as generic wotsit model drivers but still be a whole lot quieter. Some point later I'll mod them though so I can go into full dynamic UART mode for more features and software-controlled configuration.

fvTslPPl.jpg

Echo on
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I'm teaching a class on 3d printing to a bunch of 5th graders tomorrow. The curriculum I'm using was originally made in 2017 and it's all based around using Sketchup Make as the 3d modeling solution, but of course, Tremble decided they're going 100% in the cloud these days and they haven't updated Sketchup since 2017.

I spent most of the day yesterday looking for free alternatives but ultimately it looks like I'm still going to have to use Sketchup Make for a couple reasons: 1. The school I'll be teaching in I've taught other STEM classes in before and their internet is slow as fuck. So this rules out cloud solutions like Sketchup Free or TinkerCad. I'll have nine laptops for the students to run on and I can just imagine how bad the response will be when all nine try pinging the cloud at the same time even with reliable bandwidth. 2. I saw all the talk here about Autodesk offering Fusion360 for free for hobbyists and startups, but I realized there's a huge catch: it's only good for one year! I could use it for this class, but the company that I'm working for would like to offer classes at the local schools for lot longer than just a year, so that's pretty limiting.

So ultimately I'm back at using Sketchup Make and I have that frustrating feeling where I spent several hours on something but accomplished nothing. Anyway, has anyone here any suggestions on a simple print job I can do in about a half hour or so that I can demonstrate to the students? Some kind of toy or something? I was thinking of making a small top, which I've made before in about 40 minutes, so that's probably the best be, but it's a little dull. (Or maybe that's just my bias because I've already done it several times.)

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    I think that means "one year, then renew", but I'm not sure about that.

edited March 2019
    Yeah, it's just a little more tricky since I'll need nine copies (eleven actually, one for my teaching laptop and one for class prep at home.) So then I'll need to register the business and it's not actually my business. It's not even a qualified educational institution either (they're a for-profit and not actually part of the local school system) so I can't really use the educational license either.

I think Sketchup Make is probably fine for a bunch of kids: it's not too hard to learn the controls and they'll be doing simple stuff on it anyway. My main lesson plan is more based around the idea of introducing them to the idea of 3d printing and encouraging them to explore their own ideas teaching them about the different materials and other physics concepts that can be printed. I'll have them follow me as we makes some toys (such as tops, tiddly winks, hook games like Barrel of Monkeys, etc...)

A year or so ago I taught a class on 3d design for comics and I made the mistake of choosing Blender. The poor kids really burned out by the third week; they still made some cool designs in the end, but it was hard. Personally, I like using Blender for my hobbies, but I wouldn't want turn the kids off from 3d modeling forever.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    edited March 2019
    It does auto renew. Though I think the year allows them to cut it off if they ever change their mind.
    Do the students get their own e-mails? Because then they can create an account and it follows them forever and they could use at home or at the library or whatever.

Also you can download the software and install it on computers and then tie the profile to your e-mail (so 1 e-mail for you covers 3 machines potentially home, work, prep)

I haven't tried to work at the same time in the same logging on multiple computers. Not sure how well that would work.

So ultimately I'm back at using Sketchup Make and I have that frustrating feeling where I spent several hours on something but accomplished nothing. Anyway, has anyone here any suggestions on a simple print job I can do in about a half hour or so that I can demonstrate to the students? Some kind of toy or something? I was thinking of making a small top, which I've made before in about 40 minutes, so that's probably the best be, but it's a little dull. (Or maybe that's just my bias because I've already done it several times.)

I think the 3d print class we did at the library had everyone make a small keychain. Some people did initials, or their name or whatever.

Does print time or the model time matter more? Modifying an existing model might be cool. Like adding initials to an animal or something, but that print might take forever.

5th grade doesn't do playdough, but custom cookie cutter/playdough cutters could be fun for a younger audience.

Hmm, fun problem to have. I'll think about it.

Radiation on
    I've got a crappy model I use for in class demonstrations, so I have it do something the first day just to show them how it all works. The guy who owns the business knows a local guy who runs a huge operation in his basement as a hobby, so he's able to get high quality printing for cheap. So once the students have some kind of design they like in the second-to-last class I'll have them all printed and returned the final week so they can show it off.

The keychain is a great idea though. I had originally thought about a simple toy car, but then it occurred to me that although a block with holes for a chassis, two rods for axles, and four wheels might be easy, the assembly afterwards might just create too much frustration if it turns out they didn't measure it right and the basic Sketchup doesn't give much tools for accuracy.. So I'm avoiding anything that requires assembly.

I'm still thinking about pitching an idea for a class solar power cars to the business where we get one of those educational solar car kits so we can use the wheels, the motors, and the solar panel, but then the students can design their own chassis instead of using the one that comes with the kit. It could be a fun way to combine 3d printing and an engineering class.

Well, looks like I got a bum stepper driver. One of them turns shitty hot as soon as I turn the power on, while the others just feel like a little bit above body temp. That sucked, was hoping to get this done this weekend, now I have to wait for delivery of a new one. At least it's cheap stuff, they're five bucks each.

6vBcStc.jpg

edited March 2019
    So here's how loud my 3D printer is after I switched to a new controller board and better stepper drivers. You hear two mouse clicks and the endstops clicking as it's homing.

It's noisy in Z because it's moving way too fast, need to see if I can adjust that. But it won't move more than 0.1mm in Z at a time when printing anyway.

https://streamable.com/n5y08

For comparison, this was how it sounded before the upgrade: https://streamable.com/x2bv3

Echo on
    There, fixed the excessive Z speed that caused noise.

This was the default value in the Marlin firmware I downloaded:
    /**
     * Default Axis Steps Per Unit (steps/mm)
     * Override with M92
     *                                      X, Y, Z, E0 [, E1[, E2[, E3[, E4]]]]
     */
    #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   { 80, 80, 4000, 500 }

And Creality's default settings for the firmware it ships with:
    #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   {80.000,80.000,400.000,93.00}

...so Z was moving ten times too fast with the stock Marlin. Now all stepper motors are perfectly silent and I can just hear some whispering from the actual mechanical parts moving.

This is how it sounds now: https://streamable.com/nn554

Hitting the endstops sounds like a pen click. That's without any fans running though, they'll run when it's actually printing.

This looks cool, and was kind of one of the reasons I considered getting a 3D printer in the first place - a PCB milling machine with lots of 3D-printed parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmm16oOhpKM&t=0s

edited March 2019
    Is this the mpcnc? Mostly printed CNC?

Oh, looks like pcb stuff. Neat! Was talking to my buddy for the pen box and he has the snap maker and has been fairly happy with it so far. Workspace is his main concern, but snapmaker 2 should resolve that.

Radiation on
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    I apologize for jumping in with no clue, but that seems to be my usual bit. I have a bunch of projects that I think would be well suited to 3d printing. Namely miniatures, terrain for diorama, assorted tokens for games, etc. Been reading through the thread as well as a few other places to get an idea of what I would even be looking for.

Seems like the creality ender 3 might be a good starting device. However I haven't worked with modeling software in a loooooong time. What's the recommendation for something free that I can mess around with? Basically I want to try out the modeling piece because if it is an exercise in frustration I am going to end up with an expensive paperweight/printer.

Fusion360 is fairly solid but steep learning curve. I can't intelligently comment on others.

I will say thingiverse is a good source for already modeled things as well (there are other sites as well).

Also there are people who will make models for you on commission.

Not to say you shouldn't look into modeling at all, but if you aren't good at the modeling, there are plenty of ways to use it without needing to know how to model.

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Fusion360 is fairly solid but steep learning curve. I can't intelligently comment on others.

I will say thingiverse is a good source for already modeled things as well (there are other sites as well).

Also there are people who will make models for you on commission.

Not to say you shouldn't look into modeling at all, but if you aren't good at the modeling, there are plenty of ways to use it without needing to know how to model.

I wanted to take a shot at it, but I'm more than willing to hand it off to someone else so I won't just bash my head against it for hours and ruin something that should be fun.

edited March 2019
    @Echo where did you buy the 3d printer from? Was it a kit?
    You got a new controller board and such. How standard is that.

Basically wondering if I should buy components to build it myself instead of purchasing the kit.

Edit: The controller board replacement makes a substantial difference.

Radiation on
    edited March 2019
    where did you buy the 3d printer from? Was it a kit?
    You got a new controller board and such. How standard is that.

Basically wondering if I should buy components to build it myself instead of purchasing the kit.

Edit: The controller board replacement makes a substantial difference.

It's a Creality Ender 3 Pro. Bought it from a Swedish store, Amazon also has it. You get it with most of it assembled, you pretty much just have to put the sub-assemblies together.

Replacement controller board + stepper drivers was another 60 bucks in total.

Echo on
    So now I have a print running on the new board + stepper drivers (plus replacement for busted stepper driver), and it feels weird when the fans are suddenly the loudest moving part.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    My nozzle doesn't seem to be heating. I'm hoping I can just buy a new one.

Argh, clogged nozzle when I had 1cm left to print. That sucked. Maybe I can convert it to a ruined building or something.

nJLoHWrl.jpg

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    My nozzle doesn't seem to be heating. I'm hoping I can just buy a new one.

Chances are it's a wire going to the nuzzle than the nuzzle itself.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've disassembled it, not sure what wires do what. I'll post a pic up sometime.

There, solved the new problem of the printer being so quiet that I don't hear it finishing until it cools down to the level where the fans shut down.

rn6o1x8ao7c6.png

Obviously you need to hook up a boat horn to it to notify you when its done.

Hmm. Wondering if I just accidentally killed the new controller board.

Was upgrading it with a new fan. Good news, fan works. Bad news, board doesn't. Completely unresponsive, can't connect over USB.

Got my Arduino at work, tomorrow I'll try flashing it with a new bootloader and see if I can get it communicative enough to upload a new firmware, it may have gotten a jolt and dropped stuff.

Worst case a new board is 23 euros.