As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NCAA Basketball: Selection Sunday

1909192939496»

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Ducks stole a bid...from like Indiana, because the bubble is comically soft this year, but still.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Reid Travis fouling out absolutely changed the dynamic of that game

As someone who watched Travis at Stanford, this is just the weirdest thing to read.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »

As someone who watched Travis at Stanford, this is just the weirdest thing to read.

He wasn't good at Stanford?

I remember when he transferred to Kentucky, everybody was talking about it being a huge coup.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Nirya wrote: »

He wasn't good at Stanford?

I remember when he transferred to Kentucky, everybody was talking about it being a huge coup.

Maybe personal bias on my part, but he was never a guy who impacted games and Stanford was generally average to bad when he was there. It maybe says more to me that he couldn’t drag Stanford through a bad PAC-12 last year to make the tournament, or even be close to consideration.

In other news, my alma mater UC Irvine won the Big West tonight to clinch their second-ever tournament bid. The scary thing is that they’re legitimately good, and you could make a convincing argument that they’re the best college basketball team in California (especially since they have a road win over St. Mary’s, the other team with a claim to that spot). Can’t wait for the committee to fuck them over when they should get a 12 seed at worst.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    My guess is Michigan goes up 10 at half and loses by 5 at the end.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Depends how much Ward plays vs. Tillman plays and how many fouls are called on Teske.

• Options
    I like how in ESPN's Bruce Pearl at Tennessee retrospective, the end of his tenure is just sketched over.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Oooof Kyle Ahrens of MSU just seriously injured his ankle. Already dealing with a bad back. One replay was more than enough of that.

EDIT: Immediate air cast, so probably broken.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Depends how much Ward plays vs. Tillman plays and how many fouls are called on Teske.

Tillman gets in foul trouble, Michigan has an eight point lead at the half.

There is going to be an absolute avalanche of fouls called in the second half, especially on Michigan. Only one in the first half. And the only consistent thing about Big Ten refs is that they are NEVER consistent from half to half.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Michigan is panicking and launching early contested jump shots. 13 point lead down to a tie.

• Options
    Just didn't run offense for the last five minutes or so.

That said, second time in two days a team intentionally fouled on a three pointer at the end of the game and it wasn't called.

• Options
    With Tillman, State was like +20 in that game, without him Michigan was +15.

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    MSU only lost 4 conference games this season, 1 at Purdue, 2 to Indiana and 1 to Illinois.

• Options
    East:
    (1) Duke
    (2) Sparty
    (3) LSU
    (4) Virginia Tech
    (5) Mississippi State
    (6) Maryland
    (7) Louisville
    (8) VCU
    (9) UCF
    (10) Minnesota
    (11) Belmont/Temple
    (12) Liberty
    (14) Yale
    (15) Bradley

Didn't catch the 13 or 16.

• Options
    South:

Columbia, South Carolina
    (1) Virginia vs. (16) Gardner-Webb
    (8) Ole Miss vs. (9) Oklahoma

San Jose
    (4) Kansas State vs. (13) UC Irvine
    (5) Wisconsin vs. (12) Oregon

Hartford
    (3) Purdue vs. (14) Old Dominion
    (6) Villanova vs. (11) Saint Mary's

Columbus
    (2) Tennessee vs. (15) Colgate
    (7) Cincinatti vs. (10) Iowa

• Options
    It's real weird they've stuck 5 Big Ten teams in two halves of two regions.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Purdue kept the 3 seed that had been projected and a beatable 2 seed in Tennessee in the South region. I’m happy. Wouldn’t actually be surprised if Cincinnati beats Tennessee though and we end up playing them.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Midwest:

Columbus
    (1) North Carolina vs. (16) Iona
    (8) Utah State vs. (9) Washington

Salt Lake City
    (4) Kansas vs. (13) Northeastern (Kansas seemingly ALWAYS gets home games the second weekend, it's absurd, this is KC if they make it)
    (5) Auburn vs. (12) New Mexico State

Tulsa
    (6) Iowa State vs. (11) Ohio State
    (3) Houston vs. (14) Georgia State

Jacksonville
    (7) Wofford vs. (10) Seton Hall
    (2) Kentucky vs. (15) Abilene Christian

• Options
    West:

Salt Lake City
    (1) Gonzaga vs. (16) Fairleigh Dickson/Prairie View A&M
    (8) Syracuse vs. (9) Baylor

Hartford
    (4) Florida State vs. (13) Vermont
    (5) Marquette vs. (12) Murray State

Tulsa
    (6) Buffalo vs. (11) Arizona State/St John's
    (3) Texas Tech vs. (14) Northern Kentucky

Des Moines
    (7) Nevada vs. (10) Florida
    (2) Michigan vs. (15) Montana

• Options
    Nevada's a rough draw.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Of course UNC gets both Kansas and Kentucky in their bracket, and in Kansas City to boot. AFAIK Roy Williams' Tar Heels teams have lost every matchup to Kansas since he left that job for ours. But this is a particularly weak Kansas team, so I guess will see if this Jayhawk curse can finally be put to rest.

First look has me thinking UNC over Utah State then Kansas. Probably Iowa State losing to Kentucky, but I may just pick Wofford down there because Wofford is tough and Fletcher Magee can potentially bury any team in the tourney from behind the line.

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    The committee took Washington AND ASU? No. No, fuck that. Those teams lost to bad competition, they are not deserving. jesus
    Nevada's a rough draw.

Florida's been playing with house money, that's just a rough draw no matter who you get

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    First instinct is Duke, UNC, Michigan, and chaos in the South. Vols are probably the safest bet except Rick Barnes.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    The committee took Washington AND ASU? No. No, fuck that. Those teams lost to bad competition, they are not deserving. jesus
    Nevada's a rough draw.

Florida's been playing with house money, that's just a rough draw no matter who you get

I think the Buckeyes are a questionable inclusion. I think they're getting rewarded for a strong early season.

• Options
    Looking some more, Michigan has easily the hardest road to the F4. Sorry, ebum

UNC vs Kentucky isn't a lock, but I'd say one of those teams is in the F4

Duke's got absolutely no one in their bracket besides Virginia Tech and LSU (I don't believe Izzo is getting over the ACC hump this year)

The only coach I trust in the South is Jay Wright. What a difference 2 titles can make, eh?

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Bummed that UK didn't get into the South, but I guess we needed Tennessee to beat Auburn and get a 1 seed for that to be possible?

Tough path out of the region too. We likely get Houston in the 3rd round, and then UNC is probably the second scariest 1 seed (after Duke). I'm not afraid of Kansas if they make it past UNC though (even in KC), so I guess I'll hope for that.

I was really hoping to be in UVA's region tbh. I hate having to play a team a second time, but I'd be surprised if UNC doesn't make it to the Elite Eight. Kansas really isn't that scary this year.

How scared should I be of Houston? They're a trendy dark horse pick this year.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Ugh, I think I'm going to have Tennessee coming out of the South?? Which means we'd have to play them a fourth time in the Final Four? Why aren't they on the other side of the bracket from us?

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Looking some more, Michigan has easily the hardest road to the F4. Sorry, ebum

UNC vs Kentucky isn't a lock, but I'd say one of those teams is in the F4

Duke's got absolutely no one in their bracket besides Virginia Tech and LSU (I don't believe Izzo is getting over the ACC hump this year)

The only coach I trust in the South is Jay Wright. What a difference 2 titles can make, eh?

Disagree on several of those things. I think we'll win most rock fights and there are a lot of rock fight style games over there in the West.

This MSU team is good, I think they have an easy path to the Elite Eight, even though Izzo keeps biffing it in the first weekend.

Agree on the Midwest and South.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Bummed that UK didn't get into the South, but I guess we needed Tennessee to beat Auburn and get a 1 seed for that to be possible?

Tough path out of the region too. We likely get Houston in the 3rd round, and then UNC is probably the second scariest 1 seed (after Duke). I'm not afraid of Kansas if they make it past UNC though (even in KC), so I guess I'll hope for that.

I was really hoping to be in UVA's region tbh. I hate having to play a team a second time, but I'd be surprised if UNC doesn't make it to the Elite Eight. Kansas really isn't that scary this year.

How scared should I be of Houston? They're a trendy dark horse pick this year.

Ken Pom thinks Houston is a little over valued and has them 15th. Having seen most of those guys last year in a game they should have won against us, they're real good.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    The South has two big tourney underperformers in UVA and Purdue. The rest are...man I don't even know. I think UVA is probably the best team, but I think they lose early to Kansas State or something. Tennessee probably takes them down if not.

Duke cruises to the Final Four, jesus that's an easy bracket.

And yeah, Michigan has a really tough road. Nevada and Buffalo are better than their seeds and Gonzaga is no pushover.

I think my Final Four is Duke, Michigan, Tennessee, Kentucky.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    LSU is a shadow of its former self right now without their coach imo. Plus two of their big wins came on controversial final calls/no-calls (at least one of which was explicitly wrong in hindsight). I wouldn't be all that scared of playing them in the tourney.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    The South has two big tourney underperformers in UVA and Purdue. The rest are...man I don't even know. I think UVA is probably the best team, but I think they lose early to Kansas State or something. Tennessee probably takes them down if not.

Duke cruises to the Final Four, jesus that's an easy bracket.

And yeah, Michigan has a really tough road. Nevada and Buffalo are better than their seeds and Gonzaga is no pushover.

I think my Final Four is Duke, Michigan, Tennessee, Kentucky.

Also Bruce Weber and Rick Barnes, who traditionally underperform. And a Wisconsin team that is not built for the tournament unless Trice starts making threes again. I kind of want to take Villanova, but this year's Nova team is just not as talented as it usually is.

• Options
    Honestly I hope anybody but Tennessee comes out of that bracket. I really don't want to play them a fourth time.

It's not even that I'm scared of them, it's just like...ugh.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    I keep staring at the South and hating all of my options.

• Options
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    @enlightenedbum Now would probably be a great time to make a new thread and put that in the OP :+1:

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    UCI is making the Sweet 16. Actually, let me take that back.

UCI is making the Elite 8. UVA ain't shit.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    This year is so top heavy, I have a tough time seeing any 1/2 seed not making the elite eight.

• Options
    @enlightenedbum Now would probably be a great time to make a new thread and put that in the OP :+1:

I am grading papers, if nobody has when I'm done I'll put something together.

• Options
This discussion has been closed.