As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    Watching the race got me in playing mood. Started a season in F1 2018 with Renault. Gotta love the manual handling of the ERS, it's just so much fun to juggle that, fuel, driving and getting Jeff to tell me what I want to know.

And getting the achievement for telling him to shut up. :lol:

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Just so everyone knows, I’m probably going to cancel and request refund on F1TV Pro. The app experience is like a middle school programming class project that still isn’t finished. It was fine last year, no idea what they were thinking. There is no ability to scrub back and forth on recorded video and any time you leave the app or the video stutters for whatever reason, it starts from the beginning again. And to repeat, there is no way to scrub ahead to where you were and it certainly doesn’t save your place.

Like, I can’t use my device for anything else without having to watch FP1 from the beginning again and it doesn’t allow you to cast the feed to anywhere else like chrome cast or Apple TV.

I can’t even test out the good ideas they have like multiple camera views and audio streams because trying to start those messes up the video feed and it starts with over again.

Very frustrating.

Edit: of course as soon as I post this I go back to try again because why not and finally figure out how to scrub. It is NOT intuitive. Maybe I’ll keep trying. Would be nice to cast to my big screen though.

I watched the replay of a training session on friday at work. It stuttered like crazy and was basically unwatchable. I still didn't know if there would even be commentary on the stream or not, so I was wary about the race and my investment (granted, 65€ is not a really big investment).

But qualifiying and the race itself were absolutely fine (watched them on a laptop at home - for some reason, the browser on my PS4 doesn't get the video to play). And I found out, not only is there commentary - it was in different languages. I basically had the same experience, if I watched in on German free TV, RTL - except without the stupid commercials.

So I am really happy with the F1 TV package after one race. Now I need to figure out how to get the different camera positions and how I can watch F2, F3 and the Porsche Cup as well.

Also - that Netflix documentary is really good. I am halfway through by now and I didn't even realize what was going on between Renault and Red Bull last year until now.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Yeah the replays on F1TV Pro turned out to be “not bad”. Still a bit upset that live broadcasts don’t have the ability to pause/rewind/fast forward. And I guess it’s perhaps my internet speed being not the greatest but switching views is a painfully slow process.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    If I had to throw out a wild guess, I'm thinking they don't have a low resolution stream that your internet can handle so the stream cuts frames (aka stutters) to compensate. The replay is probably better because it can be fully downloaded so it doesn't need to skip frames and lets you control it. I wouldn't be surprised if F1TV is expecting internet speeds that are more common in Europe than the US, so it very well could be your internet that is at least partly to blame for giving you a terrible experience.

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    evilbob wrote: »
    I see the traditional "this doesn't mean merc will dominate again" is in full force again.

Maybe you'll all be right one year.
    "Mercedes are still sandbagging..."

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    We'll see after Bahrain. I still think Ferrari has more pace, but it's not like Mercedes is going to stand still. If Toto Wolff is right and their overall car concept gives them more room for development, this could be a very dominant year for Merc. Will be interesting to see if Bottas can actually challenge Lewis over a whole season. Lewis rarely starts seasons super strong, but he always gets it together by the summer break.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i wonder if BBC has decided not to cover F1 as much on their website anymore?

their F1 site used to be my go-to just for keeping up to date on things, but it seems like they're doing way fewer articles, more of them are just fluff (hey guys, did you know Robert Kubica hurt his hand?), and they dropped their gossip feature, which was basically just a running list of links to other insider articles from the week, and a good way to stay current

what's a good no-BS F1 news site?

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    I read RaceFans.net, not sure how "no-BS" it is.

steam_sig.png
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    motorsport.com is pretty good too. They often do 8-15 minute long analysis videos on aerodynamics and engineering.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/health-warning-australian-grand-prix/4356791/?nrt=54

Did you attend the Grand Prix? Congratulations, you may have measles!
    A woman is currently being treated in hospital for measles, having acquired the viral infection in the Northern Territory.

Authorities are warning health providers that she spent Saturday and Sunday at the Australian Grand Prix at Albert Park, sitting in the Jones stand on the Saturday and the Fangio stand on the Sunday.

She also visited the Gate 2 entrance and food areas at Gate 1.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    As someone who has cut the cord in the US, what is my best bet for streaming the races?

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    As someone who has cut the cord in the US, what is my best bet for streaming the races?

I believe NBC Sports has a steaming service, which likely gives access. I use YouTube TV, as it has all the NBC channels.

edited March 2019

Purchase a F1TV Pro account for $80, get the non-pro account for $27 and get replays only, or resubscribe* to a cable provider in order to have access to ESPN.

Edit: *If you previously had an account for a cable provider with an activated login for their web-based services, check to see if you can still log in. I cancelled my Spectrum subscription about 6 months ago, but I am still able to use that login info to activate cable streams.

Veevee on
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Sling TV has ESPN as a channel. But is the race on like ESPN 4 or the main channel?

edited March 2019
    Sling TV has ESPN as a channel. But is the race on like ESPN 4 or the main channel?

Either the main channel, ESPN2, and maybe once or twice on ABC

Veevee on
    Did F1 move off NBC and I didn't notice??

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »

It's been on ESPN/ABC since last year.

It's been on ESPN/ABC since last year.

And they are essentially streaming the Sky broadcast from england

The sky broadcast is good and please never go back

I was always kind of ho hum about the NBC crew until finally I got a dose of the real shit

Huh, had no idea. Though, I never watched a ton last year, and again, mostly through YouTube TV, which doesn't really put the channel you are on at the forefront.

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I guess I'm the only one watching on TSN :)?

edited March 2019
    Ew bbc ran a pole on which F1 car looked the best and McLaren won (????) With 18% while both red bull teams got a combined 5%

In short Europeans have no taste. I mean the McLaren is ok but BEST? Over Alfa? Mercedes? Insane

Jasconius on
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Mercedes ist just boring, Alfa is good, but the McLaren Renault is indeed the best looking one.

edited March 2019
    IndyCar at COTA in Austin is about to start. Will be interesting to see how they look compared to the F1 cars. Haven't watched an Indy race in ages.

oldmanken on
    IndyCar at COTA in Austin is about to start. Will be interesting to see how they look compared to the F1 cars. Haven't watched an Indy race in ages.

It's been a good race so far, and these guys know how to pass!

honovere wrote: »
    Mercedes ist just boring, Alfa is good, but the McLaren Renault is indeed the best looking one.

The factory Renault is good. McLaren is ok at best

New F1 2019 game announced:

http://blog.codemasters.com/f1/03/f1-2019-defeat-your-rivals/

Looks like it will be out 2 months earlier than usual, hitting in late June.

Interesting bit is that they seemingly have developed a generic spec car, and are going to allow custom livery. Feels like they may be pursuing the esports route a bit.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    The spec car clearly is going the Red Bull route for rake :lol:

F1 2018 was already my overall GOTY for last year. This has a lot to live up to, but looks like it'll do it handily. And earlier in the season will be really nice.

Added it to the OP too.

Jazz on
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I wonder (and hope) if the customization will extend to the in-car view of the steering wheel. I would most appreciate being able to match my real life steering wheel to show up in game the same.

Now that I have a super amazing desk and a triple monitor setup what is a good medium budget wheel and set of pedals to play F1 and Rally type games?

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Now that I have a super amazing desk and a triple monitor setup what is a good medium budget wheel and set of pedals to play F1 and Rally type games?

What's the budget?

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Logitech Driving Force G29 Racing... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z0UWWYC?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Logitech 941-000119 G Driving Force Shifter – Compatible with G29 and G920 Driving Force Racing Wheels for Playstation 4, Xbox One, and PC https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z0UWV3O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.gvNCbDSQPPNJ

GT Omega Steering Wheel stand... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FENJWZG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

That’s all the stuff I have for driving things on PC and PS4. I definitely recommend it for the price. You can go higher and I’m not sure if you get much value out of it, but maybe.

Logitech Driving Force G29 Racing... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z0UWWYC?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Logitech 941-000119 G Driving Force Shifter – Compatible with G29 and G920 Driving Force Racing Wheels for Playstation 4, Xbox One, and PC https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z0UWV3O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.gvNCbDSQPPNJ

GT Omega Steering Wheel stand... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FENJWZG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

That’s all the stuff I have for driving things on PC and PS4. I definitely recommend it for the price. You can go higher and I’m not sure if you get much value out of it, but maybe.

G29 I agree, but honestly rather than spend 50+ on the shifter (that's highway robbery for something that was included in the G27) just jump into the Thrustmaster TH8A if you happen to need one.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    I only use the shifter if I’m aiming for some authentic experience that would require it. The flappy paddle shifting is the way of the future and the current reality for F1 and many other high end racing anyways.

I only use the shifter if I’m aiming for some authentic experience that would require it. The flappy paddle shifting is the way of the future and the current reality for F1 and many other high end racing anyways.

Well, he did say Rally, and non-paddle sequential shifters are common enough.

And I personally love old timey racing. :p

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Is the multiplayer in 2018 any good? I've just been doing the solo career in Ericsson's Sauber and it has been a ton of fun.

Just finished up catching up on Free Practice 1/2 in Bahrain. No big surprises or anything but I am curious if there’s explanations for some of the team’s differences between drivers. Hulkenberg and Ricciardo, Verstappen and Gasly, being the two main outliers right now.

i dont know if they changed the shifter on the G29, but the shifter for the G27 is garbage and not worth using

Thanks for this, $500 is probably my limit and I'm in Canada land so the g29 eats up almost all of that heh.

Jasconius wrote: »
    i dont know if they changed the shifter on the G29, but the shifter for the G27 is garbage and not worth using

As far as I know, it's exactly the same thing sans the buttons and dpad because that's on the wheel now.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
This discussion has been closed.