As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OLmDh6Fyy8

11 minutes of gameplay. Definitely gives me more of a 98/99 vibe than 96.

I think i played this mod already a decade or so ago.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    thats fucking bulletstorm

... i'm okay with this

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    thats fucking bulletstorm

... i'm okay with this

the best game that nobody played

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH0KH9F4He8

im still furious nobody edited trishkas lines onto femshep

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Butterdick Jones and his Heavenly Asshole Machine.

My god

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Bulletstorm is seriously underappreciated. Interesting high-action gameplay, loads of amusing dialogue and one-liners, and some seriously impressive battles. I dunno what's better: the theme park where you get a 15-foot-tall remote-control giant monster from the "smash a city" ride, or later fighting the Godzilla-sized lifesize version of said monster because it's local wildlife and you have to shoot your way through its nest at some point.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Yeah I picked up BulletStorm way late after release and it was great. I was pretty shocked it didn't sell better. It did get a console remake at least. Not sure how well it sold. I thought about buying it again but the mandatory multiplayer trophies means I can't easily get the Platinum.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I really want to try Bulletstorm, but the only version of this nearly decade old game that is available for sale is the graphically downgraded "remaster" that costs $40.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Shame about that. It was one of the PS+ freebie games from 2018. October or November, I think? It wasn't too long ago, honestly.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    I hope Amid Evil, Wrath: Aeon of Ruin, and Ion Maiden have some form of Deathmatch. These old FPS games were so fun to play running around blasting each other.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    I really want to try Bulletstorm, but the only version of this nearly decade old game that is available for sale is the graphically downgraded "remaster" that costs $40.

How is it a downgrade? I have not actually played it yet but I am surprised it looks worse.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Everything I heard about Bulletstorm was that is it was a skillshot/score game, which is why I passed

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »
    I hope Amid Evil, Wrath: Aeon of Ruin, and Ion Maiden have some form of Deathmatch. These old FPS games were so fun to play running around blasting each other.

DUSK has multiplayer but I haven't tried it yet

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    furlion wrote: »

How is it a downgrade? I have not actually played it yet but I am surprised it looks worse.

Most modern remasters are downgrades from the original versions. Developers have to target modern consoles which tend to be less powerful than PCs were when the game was originally released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjYQNdK1W7s

The majority of the time the only reason to get a remastered version of a game is if you played the original on a console and wanted to play the remaster on a newer console.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Everything I heard about Bulletstorm was that is it was a skillshot/score game, which is why I passed

Honestly, having played thorough it the thing that was tedious for me is that the skills/point challenges were very specific things. Nut shot a guy, etc. It wasnt... freeform, i think is the best way to put it, like a good CAG (Bayonnetta, DMC etc) is where it's about showing off what you can do - it felt like you were ticking boxes off instead. Which could be gratifying in a sort of puzzle-sense, but yeeeah. Pretty fun overall though

Also there was no jump button i think and that was just real weird.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    furlion wrote: »

Most modern remasters are downgrades from the original versions. Developers have to target modern consoles which tend to be less powerful than PCs were when the game was originally released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjYQNdK1W7s

The majority of the time the only reason to get a remastered version of a game is if you played the original on a console and wanted to play the remaster on a newer console.

Oh yeah I don't play PC. So the newer version from 360 to PS4 is definitely an upgrade.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    The remaster also doesn't have Games for Windows Live.

So that is a hugely massive gigantic upgrade.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    DOOM 3 LOOKIN’ GOOD
    https://youtu.be/KQSIT18bOvg

• Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    JMan711 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Anyone else kinda want them to backport Crash into Doom canon?

• Options

If it meant co-op I'd be pretty excited.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular

Crash?
    s6yreuvmdkuh.png

Yes. Absolutely.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2019

Crash?
    s6yreuvmdkuh.png

Yes. Absolutely.

Doomgirl.

-Loki- on
  • Options
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular

Still waiting on that 1.3 update for Bombshell, guys.

It will be kind of cool to have their source for it since the Quake 1 engine is GPLed.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    After reviewing that eleven minute gameplay snippet, I just don't know. It absolutely screams vintage Raven Software to me in the aesthetic they're pursuing. It's getting harder for me to pinpoint what the game should be recognized as. This is clearly doing some stuff vanilla Quake 1 is unlikely to pull off. And there's secondary firing, charged melee attacks, the ability to target limbs of an opponent-should these things be being counted against the retro feel they're going for?

Then there's things like watching the player awkwardly *HOOF* jump their way over some raised geometry that's meant to be some kind of oblong terrain. That's distinctly earlier 3D FPS stuff, but it's also the sort of thing that doesn't really speak to a strength of the games at that time. I'm not sure it adds to the game to have stuff like that in it, compared to some kind of mantling or just not having the terrain be able to be traversed at all.

Most damning, to be honest, I was bored by that video. The combat isn't made to look compelling. The enemies don't appear threatening, just as things to slow you down at best. The first trailer was a lot more compelling to me, punchier, and, admittedly, Quake 1 was all about mood, and god damn it, Wrath is trying to nail that mood thing too, but...this was like copying the choreography without any knowledge of the music.

Yeah, agreed, I get that they didn't want to show to much off, but if you are going to release an 11 minute video it probably shouldn't be boring...

Some of it is the guy playing the game awkwardly back tracking all the time.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    Rage 2 appears to be a crossover between nuDoom and Australia.

What would doomguy do if he fell through the wrong hell portal and woke up in an apocalyptic wasteland populated by an unlikely number of armed demons?

Launches next week, 5/14, but I haven't seen much promotion of it. RAGE 2, that is. But perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I'm seeing loads of RAGE 2 promotion, mostly on Facebook but also on gaming websites.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    There's a poster up in the station on my commute just recently.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    From the trailers I've seen it looks like it will actually be good, it's self-aware and doesn't seem to be super dark-broody-serious. If it ends up with some positive reviews I just might grab it.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    If it plays anything at all like Doom 2016, I'm absolutely picking it up.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Ugh. Trailers like that cost a fortune and make my heart sink. Nothing but cliches from top to bottom-- here we are ripping off BORDERLANDS, and here's DOOM, and MASS EFFECT 3, and oh look, BORDERLANDS again. To show how edgy we are, will include plenty of juvenile swearing, too.

• Options
    Rage 2 seems really colorful and stylish, and that gets a lot of bonus points for me, but the best thing I remember from the first game was how interestingly mobile the standard cannon fodder enemies were, swinging from the ceiling and vaulting over obstacles and ledges. It was a marketing point for the game, even. Other than the bosses, it looks like all the standard baddies in Rage 2 are just dime-a-dozen FPS enemies hanging out near chest high walls. That's a bit disappointing.

• Options
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I hope they do a console version of blood

• Options
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

FYI all of the sites I've seen selling keys (GMG, Humble, Fanatical) specify their keys are for the Bethesda launcher. Looks like the only way to get it for Steam is to buy it directly from Steam.

• Options
    august wrote: »

If you already own it I think this version is just using this open source port, https://github.com/nukeykt/NBlood

• Options
    edited May 2019
    I'm not familiar with that port, but my understanding is Nightdive has done their own work on this one. I picked it up for a fiver (on discount because I already own the other Steam version) and it's really nice so far. Comes with standard FPS controls, gamepad support, the rebinding menu actually recognizes everything you might want to use, you can add ambient occlusion, Anti-Alias, Vsync, etc etc. Apparently they took a pass at the netcode and you can play multiplayer. I haven't checked myself but apparently it even has local split-screen?

edit: ahahahahah I just booted it up to check and apparently it supports up to eight player splitscreen

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I'm not familiar with that port, but my understanding is Nightdive has done their own work on this one. I picked it up for a fiver (on discount because I already own the other Steam version) and it's really nice so far. Comes with standard FPS controls, gamepad support, the rebinding menu actually recognizes everything you might want to use, you can add ambient occlusion, Anti-Alias, Vsync, etc etc. Apparently they took a pass at the netcode and you can play multiplayer. I haven't checked myself but apparently it even has local split-screen?

edit: ahahahahah I just booted it up to check and apparently it supports up to eight player splitscreen

8 player split screen sounds dope. Have you tried to play Deathwish on it? They did Turok on the Switch, I would love to have Blood on the Switch, it's a much better game.

I may be wrong, but I believe that port is literally what the Nightdive version is. The author of the port was talking about working with Nightdive on Twitter. Giving $5 to Nightdive for their hard work makes sense to me as well.

Uselesswarrior on