As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When Should I go to the ER for a Staph Infection?

Aesir23Aesir23 Registered User new member
I've been dealing with a staph infection on and off for roughly 6 months. It never goes away completely or it will appear to be gone for a period of time until I get a cut or even scratch an itch in the location (behind my ear) and it will come back. I'm on my third round of antibiotics since November.

What has me concerned is that the infection is reacting more slowly to the antibiotics than the last two times. I've also been having intermittent tightness in my throat and chest that feel as if my airway is a bit constricted but I'm not wheezing, only coughing every now and then. Is it time to pay a visit to the ER, should I just go back to my doctor to report this, or am I just worrying over nothing?

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    There is no good advice anyone here can give you that isn't to talk to your own doctor, or emergency care if you feel that you are rapidly getting worse in a short amount of time.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    There is no good advice anyone here can give you that isn't to talk to your own doctor, or emergency care if you feel that you are rapidly getting worse in a short amount of time.

He could do one of those $50 video chat with an MD apps and ask them what to do!

sig.gif
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I am not a doctor, so take my advice with that in consideration.

Not sure where you live or what your health coverage is like, but this is definitely something to talk to your doctor about.
    You said you've been on antibiotics, I'm assuming those were prescribed by someone. You should probably bring it up with them at an appointment you schedule ASAP. Maybe they'll be able to get you a different course of medication, or try something else.

As for an ER visit, I don't think a staph infection is worth an ER visit, particularly if it's been ongoing for 6 months, maybe an urgent care visit if you're unable to get an appointment with your normal doctor on short notice. But then, I live in the States, where an ER visit could prove a significant financial burden to me even with health insurance, so that may be shading my perception a bit,

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    I am not a doctor, so take my advice with that in consideration.

Not sure where you live or what your health coverage is like, but this is definitely something to talk to your doctor about.
    You said you've been on antibiotics, I'm assuming those were prescribed by someone. You should probably bring it up with them at an appointment you schedule ASAP. Maybe they'll be able to get you a different course of medication, or try something else.

As for an ER visit, I don't think a staph infection is worth an ER visit, particularly if it's been ongoing for 6 months, maybe an urgent care visit if you're unable to get an appointment with your normal doctor on short notice. But then, I live in the States, where an ER visit could prove a significant financial burden to me even with health insurance, so that may be shading my perception a bit,

I'm in Canada, so the financial aspect isn't really an issue. I had tried using online resources but they didn't really cover circumstances where someone was already on antibiotics so I wasn't sure if I should skip the GP's office entirely.

Thank you for the help. I'll call to set up an appointment with my GP right away.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'd schedule an appointment with your GP. Please mention that this has been multiple courses of antibiotics with no resolution to the problem over a period of several months. What sort of symptoms do you usually get with this? Not all staph infections are the same in presentation, and there are a multitude of Staphylococcus bacteria species and subtypes. The word Staphylococcus just means spherical, in grape-like clusters (when viewed under a microscope), so it's literally just the shape and the fact that it is Gram-positive (stains positive under a Gram stain technique).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd schedule an appointment with your GP. Please mention that this has been multiple courses of antibiotics with no resolution to the problem over a period of several months. What sort of symptoms do you usually get with this? Not all staph infections are the same in presentation, and there are a multitude of Staphylococcus bacteria species and subtypes. The word Staphylococcus just means spherical, in grape-like clusters (when viewed under a microscope), so it's literally just the shape and the fact that it is Gram-positive (stains positive under a Gram stain technique).

Since it's behind my ear I can't really get a sense of what it looks like aside from some redness extending below my ear, but it's a skin infection with discharge that eventually hardens. There's an intense itching sensation that occurs on and off as well and my earlobe has become fairly swollen. It's been exactly the same symptoms every time.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Yeah definitely at least call your doctor. Because if it is resistant to antibiotics it could be mrsa or something mrsa-like and that is not something you want.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    A staph infection that does not go away with antibiotics is Real Bad. Stay on top of it and do whatever you can to get rid of it.

Also make sure you're carefully taking those antibiotics on a strict schedule and never stop before finishing out the course. That's how staph infections become MRSA and then TRSA and onward. If they give you a cream, use it religiously. Make sure you're washing your hands whenever you touch it.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    If you're in Canada then you should absolutely be seeing your GP pronto or a walk in clinic/ER if you can't get seen within a day or two at most. Staph infections are serious shit, you need to get that dealt with.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Go see your GP and maybe get referred to a dermatologist. I had something very similar symptoms that you describe and it was psoriasis.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041