As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NCAA Basketball: South Carolina Wins The Best Women's Tournamnet

enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
Discuss college basketball here!
Ringo wrote:

We're a small thread that took six years to get 100 pages, but still! Come join us!

(The last time I made an effort OP for this thread, Michigan went into a massive tailspin and only recovered when I deleted it, so I am not making that mistake again)

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
enlightenedbum on

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    If I had known there was an OP jinx, I would've told @bobble to do it :wonk:

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I made the previous thread, I think, the week before Michigan lost to previously winless in conference Penn State. This was during the Trey Burke national runner up year.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    In non-tourney news, rumors are Wake Forest buys out Danny Manning tomorrow after the board of trustees meets. They pursued Shaka Smart, but it looks like Texas will keep him another year.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    If I had known there was an OP jinx, I would've told @bobble to do it :wonk:

Rude.

• Options
    I settled on Tennessee in the South, but not before taking a long, hard look at Cinci and Nova.

• Options
    So I'm looking at the NCAA's team sheets

UNC-Greensboro got screwed

They beat every team they were supposed to beat. They have zero losses outside of Quad 1. And of their Quad 1 losses (they were 2-6), only one was to a non-tourney team (Furman). The others were 2 seed Kentucky, 3 seed LSU and 7 seed Wofford (three times). No other losses.

Let's compare to Pac12 Regular Season Champion, Washington. 2-4 in Quad 1, losing to 1 seed Gonzaga, 4 seed Va Tech, 5 seed Auburn, and 11 seed Arizona State. Three losses to Quad 2, 10 seed Minnesota and 12 seed Oregon (twice). Plus one Quad 3 loss to California. The only tournament team Washington beat in their entire season was Oregon. The only real difference between the records here is that UNC-G only played two Quad 2 games total. Whereas Washington played 11 total Quad 2 games and lost three of them. Is Washington's one win over Oregon really worth that much? Given that, if Oregon had not beaten Washington by 20 points in the Pac12 Title Game, Oregon wouldn't even be a tourney team?

And now let's look at Arizona State:

First off, Arizona State just plain has a worse NET ranking (63 to UNC-G's 60). But they went 3-3 in Quad 1 games, actually managing to beat three tourney teams, 4 seed Kansas, 5 seed Mississippi State, 8 seed Utah State and only one Quad 1 loss to a non-tourney team (Colorado). Looks pretty good so far! But then they went 8-3 in Quad 2, beating two tourney teams (Oregon, Washington) and losing to two non-tourney teams (Stanford, USC). And then they lost two Quad 3 games. And two more Quad 4 games just for good measure. Does beating three tourney teams outweigh losing to seven(!) non-tourney teams?

But hey, UNC-G does have that non-tourney loss to Furman. That's got to be a black mark, right?

Well, let's look at Furman! Their NET ranking is 41, better than at-large teams Syracuse (42), Iowa (43), and Washington (45). They went 1-5 in Quad 1, their lone win against Big East Champs and 6 seed Villanova at Villanova. Their Quad 1 losses are Wofford, UNC-G, LSU, and ETSU, so two tourney teams and two non tourney teams. They went 3-1 in Quad 2, with another loss to UNC-G and 2-1 in Quad 3 with a home loss to Samford. Strangely enough, Furman has a Quad 4 victory over a tournament team - 16 seeded Gardner-Webb (eventual destroyers of Virginia, just you watch)

So what does it all boil down too?

TL;DR Washington and Arizona benefited from the fact that their league was overvalued, giving them both a bevy of mediocre Quad 2 wins, that UNC-Greensboro could have never picked up due to the relative strength of their league. UNC-G won the games they should have won, and neither Washington or ASU can say the same.

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    MSU gets screwed. Not only robbed of a 1 seed but gets thrown in the East with Duke. If we're to be a 2 seed, at least don't put us with fucking Duke. Were something like 1 and 12 vs Duke. Also 3 ACC teams as 1 seeds?

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    This is going to be the first bracket where I put the 1 and 2 seeds all through to the elite 8.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Syracuse is going on a run this year so don't @ me when the Orange ruin your bracket.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Is Ohio State any good, or..? I haven't paid much attention this year. We're obviously playing pretty hot off the B12 tournament, but I don't know what to expect from tOSU.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Ohio State isn't that good.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    I'm mildly reassured. We can play with anyone, if we show up. We're just so weirdly inconsistent. At least we seem to be firing on all cylinders right now.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Time to care about college basketball again

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    OSU has no business being in the tournament this year

They had a “great” non conference record but it turned out all those teams they beat were a turd buffet

I’m not even sure they went .500 in conference and they have a loss vs Rutgers

Don’t pick them

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    RickRude wrote: »

I didn't watch a single game of basketball all season, so I went and filled out a bracket.

Ended up with Michigan as the only non-number 1 in the final 4, and have them winning it all.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Veevee wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »

I didn't watch a single game of basketball all season, so I went and filled out a bracket.

Ended up with Michigan as the only non-number 1 in the final 4, and have them winning it all.

Yeah, um, no. We have six functional players and are utterly lost if we run into a mobile center who can switch onto our guards. Also we can't shoot. Won a ton of games because we defend like motherfuckers, but against elite talent that has figured out what to do we're probably screwed.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Yeah, he's absolutely amazing

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Oh man what happens if Wisconsin and Virginia end up playing in the S16

What’s the record for fewest possessions in a modern college game?

• Options
    Oh man what happens if Wisconsin and Virginia end up playing in the S16

What’s the record for fewest possessions in a modern college game?

Wisconsin would win that one.... somehow
    Badgerball takes its due

Its stupid, stupid due

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

*quietly erases Syracuse upset from bracket*

• Options
    Howard is way more of a problem than he is a solution to anything so we're not doomed yet but I hope he's happy that he potentially already played his last game.

Good riddance I say. Howard's been nothing but a bad attitude.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    IT BEGINS

I'm looking forward to seeing people's brackets.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Barry's picks are in. https://www.obama.org/wp-content/uploads/BO-NCAA-Mens-Bracket-2019-1.png
    Similar to mine but I have Michigan St. upsetting Duke then losing to Michigan and UNC winning it.

edit:
    ALSO IT ME GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR ITTY

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Belmont and Bradley both blew it

Bummer

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Ringo wrote: »
    Belmont and Bradley both blew it

Bummer

NMSU too, after Auburn pulled a Bruce Pearl special.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Well my Northeastern over Kansas upset pick looks real stupid now.

I think Auburn can beat 'em though.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Yyyyyyup, was pretty sure Nevada was untrustworthy

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Naturally, Michigan is going to tip at 9:43 Eastern on the night before the last day of the marking period.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    People on the radio kept talking about Fairleigh Dickenson and all day my thought was “must be the notable player on whichever team is playing Gonzaga”

Nope, it’s the school

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Magell wrote: »
    Xavier Simpson's last hookshot was disgusting. I love it.

The ones he hit in the Maryland game Kevin Harlan was referencing were amazing, because he was shooting them over a 6'11" shot blocker and basically hitting the top of the backboard.

• Options
    Well fuck.

You guys have fun with the rest of the tournament.

I'm rooting for Duke now.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I’m shocked, SHOCKED to discover Tom Izzo is a belligerent asshole

Imagine how he acts when there aren’t any cameras on him

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I'm shocked, SHOCKED, that this is even news. Every coach yells at their players. You can debate if it works or is appropriate or or not, but for ESPN and others to single out Izzo is stupid.

At least he's not Coach K: Mother of former Duke player says Coach K shouted at her, making her cry.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Yesterday let me have hope that my brackets were good, today comes the crash and burn

Veevee on
  • Options
    I missed a bunch of the Day 1 games, but none of the teams I have making it out of the first weekend lost, so I'm still in pretty good shape I think.

In other news, I'm a bit worried about facing Wofford without PJ Washington, but hopefully keeping him out of this game will help him recover better by next weekend if we win. A PJ-less Kentucky team doesn't have much chance of making it out of Kansas City.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    I'm shocked, SHOCKED, that this is even news. Every coach yells at their players. You can debate if it works or is appropriate or or not, but for ESPN and others to single out Izzo is stupid.

At least he's not Coach K: Mother of former Duke player says Coach K shouted at her, making her cry.

He's still a whiny asshole, and deflecting by pointing out how shitty ESPN is is beneath you. Also Appling and Payne.

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Kansas State and Irvine somehow tied at the half, so could be an upset special brewing.