As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Come to my [house], be one of the comfortable people

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    You could likely call? I think you usually go to the service desk to set that up, but I can't imagine you couldn't do it over the phone.

PSN: jfrofl
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I don't know what I want quite yet and their website is well a labyrinth.

Oh, you should totally go in to the store.
    Are you going to do the flooring yourself?

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Click type laminate flooring can be laid very quickly and easily and you seem like a pretty handy person, so as long as you have tools you can use to year up the old flooring (where needed) and cut the laminate planks to shape, you should be fine to just figure out what coverage you need, and hire a U-Haul or whatever to take it home, if the delivery charges are too high.
    Get the best quality flooring and underlay you can, the really cheap stuff looks and feels cheap, the nicer stuff looks and feels very close to real wooden flooring.

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Spent Saturday getting connected to the mains. There were a few issues (junction box wiring had splayed and joined the L1/L2 of the two-way switch for the stairs, push-to-fit fixings in some of the GU-10 spots weren't in tight enough, completely forgot about neutral in the boiler room's pendant light, you know - the usual stuff) but I guess it's.. done?

Sunday was spent putting furniture together and moving everything up, and now I'm sat up here enjoying the natural light of three skylights

Here's how I ended up with my desk. Any other configuration would've put me sat right next to the radiator and this thing kicks out a lot of heat
    d3egQUzl.jpg

Stanley has his area in the corner whilst he's still in "chew everything" mode:
    cpxU04il.jpg

The bed fits nicely in the nook. We just need some lamps for the bedside tables to finish it off
    3xSx2Zkl.jpg

My other half has her desks next to the boiler room:
    ja5wi81l.jpg

And my PC is set up temporarily in the other corner. Now I get to start saving up for a TV-stand that can fit my tower and something that can help me use the keyboard / mouse on the sofa comfortably
    NHaDwP8l.jpg

There's still everything left to do that I hadn't gotten round to yet (I need to fit the door that's laid down by Stanley, paint the doors, fit latches and handles, etc) and for some reason the network ports by the TV are coming in at 100mbps instead of 1gbps so I've messed the wiring up of those somehow. But I'm calling this a win.

The stairs went in 17th July and we moved in 17th March. It feels like longer than 8 months but also exactly that because I know just how much I've had to do

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    That has been so very awesome to watch happen.

Mazel Tov!

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    That has been so very awesome to watch happen.

Mazel Tov!

Thanks! I need to switch my critical brain off and just enjoy it now it's finished and stop looking at every flaw that no-one else notices

Last night I was on the verge of getting my ladders / scaffolding out to patch in some white where I got a bit wonky with the blue above the stairs but decided against it when my other half couldn't even see where I was talking about. I just need to leave it alone and move on

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    It can be hard to let go of the little shitty bits you know are there, but if they're all you're seeing then you've already done a good job on all the big stuff.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    That’s a really great use of the space. I agree that it’s been awesome to see it all unfold!

Click type laminate flooring can be laid very quickly and easily and you seem like a pretty handy person, so as long as you have tools you can use to year up the old flooring (where needed) and cut the laminate planks to shape, you should be fine to just figure out what coverage you need, and hire a U-Haul or whatever to take it home, if the delivery charges are too high.
    Get the best quality flooring and underlay you can, the really cheap stuff looks and feels cheap, the nicer stuff looks and feels very close to real wooden flooring.

I went and asked I have to buy $500 of stuff to get it delivered so yeah I can do that I am just doing to do the living room to dining room first since it's basically one large room

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    You're gonna want a saw that you can make exact 90 degree cuts across the planks with, and something like a jigsaw for the little cuts here and there around door frames and such.

Just pull the skirting boards, tear up the old floor, give the subfloor a good scrape to get any adhesive off, then roll out the underlay and start laying out the planks. If you can be bothered going to the effort, if the planks aren't going to fit across the floor in a whole number, you're better trimming both sides of the room down to width instead of just one and ending up with a narrow half-plank on one side, but it's not vital, only really if you're anal retentive like I am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv2rWwBt7gg

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't worry too much about *exact* cuts, baseboard covers a lot of it (Depending on what baseboard you use) and unless you're cutting more than 2 degrees off 90 you'll barely notice.

I wouldn't worry too much about *exact* cuts, baseboard covers a lot of it (Depending on what baseboard you use) and unless you're cutting more than 2 degrees off 90 you'll barely notice.

Yeah I suppose. Like I said, anal retentive.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Also, mitre boxes are pretty cheap and easy to stand up, so it's easy to get those 90 degree cuts ...

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    One thing I learned by watching (as opposed to doing), is that you want about 1/4" gap between you flooring and the wall in parallel to the direction they are laying down. This is to allow for heat expansion. If you are putting the flooring in when it is really really hot, (a) I feel sorry for you, and (b) you may not need that gap.

• BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Also, mitre boxes are pretty cheap and easy to stand up, so it's easy to get those 90 degree cuts ...

no no no no - this is a perfect excuse to buy a shiny miter saw! Then suddenly you find all kinds of other projects that can make use of a miter saw. Even if it doesn't!

96058.png?1619393207
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    All you need is a grinder and some ingenuity.

bkqk90ug38dw.jpg

Kakodaimonos on
    I wish I was slightly more competent at DIY. I’m learning - like I do have a jigsaw and I did manage to install our cat door - but at some point to me it’s more worthwhile to just pay someone.

I’d love to be able to replace our carpets myself but I feel as if by the time I bought the tools, learned how to do it and spent time actually doing it, it wouldn’t actually be cost-effective.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    $100 to fix the problem

thank goodness

Now I've got to make sure house guests who come over know not to flush fucking tampons.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    I wish I was slightly more competent at DIY. I’m learning - like I do have a jigsaw and I did manage to install our cat door - but at some point to me it’s more worthwhile to just pay someone.

I’d love to be able to replace our carpets myself but I feel as if by the time I bought the tools, learned how to do it and spent time actually doing it, it wouldn’t actually be cost-effective.

Doing your own carpet is a huge pain in the ass and will not turn out as well as a professional can do it unless you know how to use and can borrow a power stretcher. Just knee kicking a bedroom carpet is going to be a painful experience both on your back and your knees. If you do anything larger with a knee kicker you will have waves in the carpet sooner rather than later since it won't be taut enough.

steam_sig.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Now I've got to make sure house guests who come over know not to flush fucking tampons.

... just, what the fuck?

bowen wrote: »

... just, what the fuck?

Like there's a fucking trash can RIGHT there next to it too because I ain't a fucking fool.

Nope, 5 tampons.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I feel like that should be pretty common knowledge right next to "flushable wipes aren't actually flushable".

Daimar wrote: »

Doing your own carpet is a huge pain in the ass and will not turn out as well as a professional can do it unless you know how to use and can borrow a power stretcher. Just knee kicking a bedroom carpet is going to be a painful experience both on your back and your knees. If you do anything larger with a knee kicker you will have waves in the carpet sooner rather than later since it won't be taut enough.

Sorry, to clarify I want to replace all our carpets with laminate flooring. It’s a ways off, though, but I can dream!

I loathe carpet with a passion.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I used to be okay with carpet, but as I get older I'm realizing how much of a pain in the ass it is. Harder to clean, traps dirt and allergens, etc.

I'm all about that rug life now.

My brother gave me like 4 area rugs when he left to colorado and I tossed them in storage and I'm glad I did, so much easier to deal with than carpet.

Strikor wrote: »
    I feel like that should be pretty common knowledge right next to "flushable wipes aren't actually flushable".

You'd think!

That's pretty much the reason my guest bathroom has a trash can.

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular

Apparently, my mom flushed q-tips for years before my dad caught her and had to explain to her she was building dams in the pipes

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »

Sorry, to clarify I want to replace all our carpets with laminate flooring. It’s a ways off, though, but I can dream!

I loathe carpet with a passion.

Ah, that makes more sense and laminate is very easy to install on your own, or at least with two people to make it go quicker. Having a good, smooth subfloor is pretty key for that, but it's not that hard to manage.

steam_sig.png
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular

Yeah I suppose. Like I said, anal retentive.

When I redid our guest bedroom I started out this way but by the time I got to the end it was - Is it gonna be visible? No? Good enough!

I get it though... sometimes I remember how bad things look under the baseboard and it makes me want to redo the floor.

bkqk90ug38dw.jpg

Post should be marked NSFW.

Cut by hand? Ew, gross! Our Lord and Saviour Jesus H. Christ invented electricity for a REASON, silly!

Radiation wrote: »
    bkqk90ug38dw.jpg

Post should be marked NSFW.

Not Safe For LIFE...

I like carpet though as for a time I dealt with wooden planks. metal floors and other things. Office carpets are so generic and unappealing. I know down the road after I do the floors {hall,living room, kitchen and dining room} I would keep carpet in the bedrooms

I live in an area turning into a desert? or that type of land that is transending from desert to grassland so dirt and dust everywhere are facts of life [hence my house is a dusty tomb}

One of the discussions my brother and I get into often is over the house and how it can quickly turn into a money pit with all the stuff that needs to be done. How it would be far easier to just level it and buy a kit home
    Things I have to do. Upgrade the electric box and wiring, redo the bathrooms {the tub in one and shower in the other are falling apart} the kitchen sink needs work. the windows and insulation {he showed me how going solar with a electric heat pump with the right insulation how much better it would be.} and lots of minor stuff.

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Spent Saturday getting connected to the mains. There were a few issues (junction box wiring had splayed and joined the L1/L2 of the two-way switch for the stairs, push-to-fit fixings in some of the GU-10 spots weren't in tight enough, completely forgot about neutral in the boiler room's pendant light, you know - the usual stuff) but I guess it's.. done?

Sunday was spent putting furniture together and moving everything up, and now I'm sat up here enjoying the natural light of three skylights

Here's how I ended up with my desk. Any other configuration would've put me sat right next to the radiator and this thing kicks out a lot of heat
    d3egQUzl.jpg

Stanley has his area in the corner whilst he's still in "chew everything" mode:
    cpxU04il.jpg

The bed fits nicely in the nook. We just need some lamps for the bedside tables to finish it off
    3xSx2Zkl.jpg

My other half has her desks next to the boiler room:
    ja5wi81l.jpg

And my PC is set up temporarily in the other corner. Now I get to start saving up for a TV-stand that can fit my tower and something that can help me use the keyboard / mouse on the sofa comfortably
    NHaDwP8l.jpg

There's still everything left to do that I hadn't gotten round to yet (I need to fit the door that's laid down by Stanley, paint the doors, fit latches and handles, etc) and for some reason the network ports by the TV are coming in at 100mbps instead of 1gbps so I've messed the wiring up of those somehow. But I'm calling this a win.

The stairs went in 17th July and we moved in 17th March. It feels like longer than 8 months but also exactly that because I know just how much I've had to do

Second the idea of being up there in a thunderstorm. Especially if it's also cold outside. Just lay in that bed and bundle up.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Hey ya'll - and specifically @Strikor - should I buy a lime tree or a Cara Cara orange tree? Or do I have too many trees already?

https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/products/persian-bearss-lime-tree-tx
    https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/products/cara-cara-orange-tree-tx?variant=13940924219444

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    I say lime tree

• StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I feel like a single small-ish lime tree is much cooler than a single small-ish orange tree.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I feel like a single small-ish lime tree is much cooler than a single small-ish orange tree.

Well it would go pretty well with the avocado tree. Though did you notice the Cara Cara orange makes pink juice? Because that was the big reason I wanted that specific one.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Don't citrus trees take on the order of 10+ years to start bearing fruit?

You should time travel, ask future Cambiata which she went with and if she's satisfied, and make your decision based on that.

This discussion has been closed.