As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    I don't like using any of the "Meta" weapons. Am I handicapping my success or is everyone else wrong? I think everyone needs to learn to Longbow instead of Wingman.

• Options
    StasisStasis Registered User regular
    I'm not worried about what's "meta", just what I can succeed with. I tried to make the Longbow work when I first started playing, but the game just doesn't favor long distance engagements, and the Longbow's slow fire rate and small magazine make it not work for me at medium/close range. It always felt futile. (Although I was a lot worse then... Hmm... Mental note to try the Longbow again.)

Mind you, I'm not very good with a Wingman either. Or Peacekeeper. The latency and bullet travel is so weird and unpredictable that pretty much anything that can't spray a lot of bullets very fast hamstrings me. If I can get my hands on both an R301 and R99 and kit them out, that's my ideal loadout, but I'll also take a Hemlok (single shot, of course), EVA-8 with a good bolt, or I actually kinda like the Devotion even without a turbocharger.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I was experimenting with the single fire mode on Hemlok and I like it. I feel like R99 is my current favorite but I have a problem where I hoard 500 ammo and die before I get in range to use it. Up close it shreds, you just really need that purple mag to make it work.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I am super duper bad at this game.
    I should stick with MWO.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Hemlock single fire is like, really good to the point where I think burst damage potential doesn't even make much of a difference

Makes me wonder if I'd be much more comfortable with Flatline on semi

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    I don't like using any of the "Meta" weapons. Am I handicapping my success or is everyone else wrong? I think everyone needs to learn to Longbow instead of Wingman.
    The meta weapons are meta for a reason. However, if you personally get better success with other guns, there's no real harm with it. Now, you may yet get better success if you learn/force yourself to use something meta but if you're not trying to be esports it's like whatever.

It's only if you use non-meta weapons and consistently perform poorly that there's arguably an issue, but even then so long as you are still having 'fun', it's fine.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Me and @Peen had a 2 man victory last night. Our third, a random, dropped out of the blue midmatch. The circle is ending around the burnt forest and there's a massive firefight by the two bunkers near the Cascades. We decide to play it cool, and walk along the edge of the circle so we don't get into the shitshow in the middle.

We make it to the far side of the circle and see a team in the lone bunker. The team spots us and we run away as they fire, deciding to lay low in some bushes to see where things go next. Final 4 teams, and the circle is pushing everyone towards that bunker. Two teams duke it out nearby us in the brush, one team dies, and the other survivors head into the (occupied) bunker. We sit patiently waiting until the fateful counter falls down from 3 teams to 2...

Then we attack. I throw a zipline to the roof, pushing on the weakened final team. I back off to heal, reposition to the roof, and tell Peen to lure them outside. He peppers them with bullets, runs out on the balcony, and they follow, allowing us to pick them apart one at a time:
    https://youtu.be/V9Kz4XnXf-I

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    The single shot hemlock flatline and carbine are all pretty great. DPS isn’t great but they are very forgiving and good st all ranges. You can circle strafe hip fire at close range.

For a while they were my jam but I started losing too many 1v1s if other dudes hit their shots. Still, they aren’t bad at all.

Carbine is one of the best guns in the game fully nodded so it’s great to pick up and start with single shot until you can get mods to make it easier to full auto.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    We had another two man heartbreaker, Jay and I were up on top of a platform thing in Thunderdome in the second to smallest circle, with two other one man teams left on the ground underneath us. The ring was about to contract down to the little-tiny one man ring when the two one-man teams started fighting each other, so Jay and I jumped down to clean up, only we split up and I downed a guy while Jay lost a close fight to the other guy and then he ran around to where the tiny circle was and I couldn't run around to where he was fast enough and the combo of his shots and being outside the last circle killed me. We were this close.

It's a little situational but I'm a huge fan of the full-auto Prowler. That is a really great gun, easy to control, hard hitting, and you can use it and a Longbow with the same ammo and really have your ranges covered.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    Um honestly, the rewards seem really stingy to me. Yeah it's ten bucks, but the S1 kill tracker is one level per character? Every fifth level is nothing but the level indicator we already had for free? This seems like less than the rewards we were getting for free from 1-100.

The level indicators are new level indicators just for that season. To show off your current season level now and in the future.

Some quotes from Devs in the reddit thread regarding rewards
    The full rewards are:

1000 Apex Coins
    Apex's first ever 3-stage Evolving Legendary Weapon Skin (Havoc)
    Exclusive Epic PDW weapon skin
    Legendary Apex Pack with Guaranteed 1+ Legendary
    Epic Apex Pack with Guaranteed 1+ Epic
    5 standard Apex Packs...
    Player level and Battle Pass level are completely independent and don't impact each other. Player Level ain't goin' anywhere :)
    The 18 trackers are in the free rewards track. The paid rewards have 100 other rewards (9 of which are trackers)

Regarding Apex packs
    You'll be able to earn 5 more via the battle pass free track. And if you purchase the premium battle pass you can get another 5 standard, 1 epic and 1 legendary.

Wait, so if you buy the thing that unlocks all the battle pass for you upfront, you basically get an instant 1000 apex coin refund on the purchase?

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Um honestly, the rewards seem really stingy to me. Yeah it's ten bucks, but the S1 kill tracker is one level per character? Every fifth level is nothing but the level indicator we already had for free? This seems like less than the rewards we were getting for free from 1-100.

The level indicators are new level indicators just for that season. To show off your current season level now and in the future.

The full rewards are:

1000 Apex Coins
    5 standard Apex Packs...
    Player level and Battle Pass level are completely independent and don't impact each other. Player Level ain't goin' anywhere :)
    The 18 trackers are in the free rewards track. The paid rewards have 100 other rewards (9 of which are trackers)

Regarding Apex packs
    You'll be able to earn 5 more via the battle pass free track. And if you purchase the premium battle pass you can get another 5 standard, 1 epic and 1 legendary.

Wait, so if you buy the thing that unlocks all the battle pass for you upfront, you basically get an instant 1000 apex coin refund on the purchase?

There isn't anything that unlocks all the battle pass upfront. The costlier battle pass just unlocks the first 25 levels.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

The full rewards are:

1000 Apex Coins
    5 standard Apex Packs...

Regarding Apex packs

There isn't anything that unlocks all the battle pass upfront. The costlier battle pass just unlocks the first 25 levels.

That one seems like a really bad value to me. The first 25 levels of rewards are not worth $20. The only reason I see to buy that is if you're a completionist and you don't think you'll reach level 100 in time otherwise.

Zek on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Also the reporting features people have been asking for:
    Added Report a Player feature for cheating and abuse on PC.
    Players can now report cheaters they encounter in-game and it’ll be sent directly to Easy Anti-Cheat. You can do this from either the spectate view after dying or when looking at your team’s Banner Cards in the Squad tab.
    We have lots of other work going on behind the scenes and this remains high priority for us. We won’t be able to share many specifics of what we’re doing but we’ll strive to provide updates on progress for the things we can talk about.
    As I'm finishing the notes this morning, 499,937 accounts and counting have been banned for cheating.
    Speed hacking: We do currently have anti-speed hacking in Apex Legends, but it’s not being as effective as intended due to a bug that we believe we’ve identified and will be addressing in our next server update. Will provide ETA for it when I have it. Working to get it out ASAP.

Added Report a Player for abuse on Consoles
    You can report players from the spectate view after dying or when looking at your team’s Banner Cards in the Squad tab.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Yay

Pathfinder:

Grapple
    Increased distance 850 -> 900.

Insider Knowledge
    Increased the number of beacons in the world 10-> 12.

Adjusted hitboxes for Gibraltar, Caustic, and Pathfinder to better align with their shapes.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    How long does this first season run until?

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I guess, if they are banning people, it is actually happening.

I have never understood how a person can find cheating fun in a multi player game. Unless they are literally sadistic.

Screw those guys.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Anyone having trouble logging into the game on the XB1? Been stuck on the opening screen as the loading circle goes around and around.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    How long does this first season run until?

Three months.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I guess, if they are banning people, it is actually happening.

I have never understood how a person can find cheating fun in a multi player game. Unless they are literally sadistic.

Screw those guys.

I don't think that it's 100% spiteful on their part. I believe it's the same reason why when I had a single digit age, I spent my most of my gaming time running around in god mode or whatever the equivalent was. The concept of improvement was far from my mind and instant gratification was paramount. Which is fine when the only one suffering is the poor pinkies that I'm savaging with my BFG9000, but it becomes at least sociopathic when you involve online gaming.

But yes, screw those guys right in their childish faces.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Octane good

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

The full rewards are:

1000 Apex Coins
    5 standard Apex Packs...

Regarding Apex packs

That one seems like a really bad value to me. The first 25 levels of rewards are not worth $20. The only reason I see to buy that is if you're a completionist and you don't think you'll reach level 100 in time otherwise.

The FAQ explains that if you buy it after already earning battle pass ranks, you'll unlock all the earned ranks +25 levels above.

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    After installing the update I crash during every drop. No apex legends for me I guess.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah this new guy is pretty fun. The jump pad is nifty, I like how his kit is around mobility and moving fast. Also the passive healing? Really nice, even if it's super slow.

• Options
    Stim lasts 6 seconds, takes 2 seconds to recharge, and the health regen has you back to full <20 seconds later

Use stim lots

Steam ID
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Octane is the new Wraith then?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Stim lasts 6 seconds, takes 2 seconds to recharge, and the health regen has you back to full <20 seconds later

Use stim lots

Yeah it's great but not sure how much you wanna spam it in a gunfight, since it can kneecap you pretty quick. It's short cooldown is begging to be abused but the health it takes def balances that out quick.

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    He looks kind of neat, but I think I will stick with my existing Lifeline>Mirage>Pathfinder priority system.

At least I won't be part of the "Everyone wants to play the new guy" problem.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    giev female octane skin

i wanna be a coked out wasteland girl

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Here's how my first game as Octane went:

https://youtu.be/DBc2scGmdLk

I then got attacked as I called in the two respawns, so I tossed my jumppad down and scrambled away using the sweet sweet juice, which led to the two randoms getting slaughtered again by a different team, at which point they quit leaving me alone.

Still made it to like, 4th place solo

• Options
    The jump pad is a pretty strong as both an aggro and a panic button

Steam ID
  • Options
    The jump pad is a pretty strong as both an aggro and a panic button

I like that it's a lot quicker than Pathfinder's Zipline, you just plop it down and you're good to go

I haven't tried yet, can you place the pad on walls?

• Options
    Nothing more frustrating than moving before Pathfinder zipline fully deploys and accidentally cancelling the whole thing

Steam ID
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Can't enemies just chase you on the jump pad?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Can't enemies just chase you on the jump pad?

They can, and probably will. They'll have to hit it at the same angle as you to land nearby which may take some finesse. You can also place it in a non obvious spot as you sprint away at high speed

Also Octane just made a My Hero Academia reference as he dropped, nice

• Options
    It's gonna take a looooooong time to grind these levels. The XP for Battle Pass level 1->2 is double that from regular level 97->98, and while you get regular match XP as BP XP, plus bonus XP for playing on different legends each week, it's still pretty slow.

But it's a three month season so vOv

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Yay

Pathfinder:

Grapple
    Increased distance 850 -> 900.

Insider Knowledge
    Increased the number of beacons in the world 10-> 12.

Adjusted hitboxes for Gibraltar, Caustic, and Pathfinder to better align with their shapes.

Patch notes briefly mentioned a grapple indicator too, but it was removed. Devs said the art isn't ready yet, holding off on including it "for a bit longer".

• Options
    Got queued up with a pretty competent duo and got my second ever victory =) I wasn't even dead weight either!

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    It's gonna take a looooooong time to grind these levels. The XP for Battle Pass level 1->2 is double that from regular level 97->98, and while you get regular match XP as BP XP, plus bonus XP for playing on different legends each week, it's still pretty slow.

But it's a three month season so vOv

Ugh. I was hoping they’d take the lesson from fortnite and add challenges/quests so you can level it with a few hours of play every week.
    I’m not paying them $10 so I can have a second unpaid job for 3 months.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I won my first match with Octane!

...I got one kill and 19 damage.