As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Division 2] Launching in March! Beta has started.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Eh gads the npcs are ugly in this game. I can't believe people complained about the Anthem faces, which were actually quite good. Seriously seeing a mission vendor do that weird puppet mouth close/open motion to mimick speech is pretty immersion breaking

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Prohass wrote: »
    Eh gads the npcs are ugly in this game. I can't believe people complained about the Anthem faces, which were actually quite good. Seriously seeing a mission vendor do that weird puppet mouth close/open motion to mimick speech is pretty immersion breaking

I guess if "facial animations" were ever really part of the development narrative of The Division 2... this would be a germaine point of discussion?

The whole facial animations thing has a lot more to do with Bioware/Mass Effect: Andromeda and the face tech used in that game and how much better Anthem's would be compared to that, and the questionable faith of the people involved in the discussion around said tech. There was no situation where people wouldn't whine about the facial animations in Anthem, and really no reason why people would feel the need to complain about the facial animations in this game.

The narrative around The Division 2 revolves around it being an apolitical game set in the/a Clancyverse.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    So.. there is a compression layer without a shirt over top of it.

But... it's a full zip... either way yay. Just need to get a shemagh to drop...
    I found a nice scarf the other day. Because, you know, it's summer in DC and 8000% humidity, and you need to keep your neck warm!

More likely it's protection from mosquitoes.

26904.png
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Whats your GT?

BlackDragon1066, I'm on the Google doc as well.

I’m not seeing any requests from you.

I’ll try to send you an invite instead.

Well, it was right before the server shutdown for the hot patch, might've got lost in the wind.

Wait...I had accept invites turned off. Might have screwed with it, I had a hell of a time just finding it in a search.

I've got it set to on now and have sent a new request.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I picked up a raspberry beret. it looks second hand.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019

You must now wire one of the safe houses for sound, so if you feel the need to memorialize you're new headware in song, you can do so while taking a shit.

Just like Prince could've in Paisley Park.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    *rubs self on woe bundy clan area forcefield*

let me innnnn

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Didnt see your name on the spreadsheet, sorry! its accepted now. <3

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Came home from St. Patrick's Day party Sunday night and somehow downloaded Division 2 (PC) only to wake up Monday and realize I've nobody to play with! Hit about 8 or 9 last night and planning to play again Tuesday night. Going to make my way through mostly story missions since the side stuff scales and I can tackle it later. There any sort of clan or groups? I started my own clan but apparently it doesn't work till you get enough people in it.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    Came home from St. Patrick's Day party Sunday night and somehow downloaded Division 2 (PC) only to wake up Monday and realize I've nobody to play with! Hit about 8 or 9 last night and planning to play again Tuesday night. Going to make my way through mostly story missions since the side stuff scales and I can tackle it later. There any sort of clan or groups? I started my own clan but apparently it doesn't work till you get enough people in it.

Just a slight thing, but the main story missions now have scaling XP. The loot may not be scaled, though (ran through NOA tonight as a level 20 on the verge of 21 and was getting a bunch of level 18 stuff).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Got to the third settlement. Finally got some matching set gear drops. Yeah these are making a difference.

• squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular

You must now wire one of the safe houses for sound, so if you feel the need to memorialize you're new headware in song, you can do so while taking a shit.

Just like Prince could've in Paisley Park.

Solid Kevin Smith reference. 5/7 Would reference again.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    After doing the intro mission, I spent an hour in the first Dark Zone after some rando came across me and invited me to their group. I basically got a guided tour of D2's mechanics from loot extraction, going rogue to open crates, the thieve's den, and fighting off rogue agents trying to steal our shit. Ended up DZ level 17 and with a slightly more positive opinion about it.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    so i finally got to play for a long stretch- this is less forgiving than div1.

also how do the weekly clan caches work?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    After doing the intro mission, I spent an hour in the first Dark Zone after some rando came across me and invited me to their group. I basically got a guided tour of D2's mechanics from loot extraction, going rogue to open crates, the thieve's den, and fighting off rogue agents trying to steal our shit. Ended up DZ level 17 and with a slightly more positive opinion about it.

The Dark Zone was sporadically a lot of fun in Division 1, especially in the period after the game was first released. It takes a bit for the griefing tactics to really gel.

• LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular

True, but the rest of the game isn't an unfinished broken mess, so I'll give it a pass =)

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    This game is weird cause in theory I like Anthem more but in practice I like this more.

Wonder how each will stand up after a few months of patches/updates.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Anthem has a higher potential ceiling, but doesn't deserve me because they released knowing it was a patchwork mess.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    D2 benefits from being a sequel. I will say that D2's open world feels like a better playground to explore than Anthem's freeplay despite that game's flight mechanics.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »

True, but the rest of the game isn't an unfinished broken mess, so I'll give it a pass =)

Division 2 has its fair share of bugs like the skill one they just fixed partially, the skill mod bug that's still around, I got screwed on an exotic drop yesterday twice (once the loot disappeared, second time it wasn't there at all). Neither game is perfect.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I don't think I've actually looked close enough at an NPC's face to notice if it was good or bad.

I had a lot of fun in the DZ last night. Got some good loot, ambushed a rogue agent who tried to kill me, extracted a full 5 items worth of loot with the help of some other friendlies in the zone, then avenged one of them when that same rogue agent showed up and killed one of the friendlies.

• RhahRhah Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I impulse bought and am enjoying this but I gotta say i'm surprised @ how err, underwhelming? The graphics are for a 2019 flagship game. I have everything maxed on PC and it really doesn't look all that much better than the division 1 did. The setting itself is great it's just a bit of a technical letdown.

I was still going back to D1 the first few nights this came out and the one huge noticeable thing to me was how much smoother everything felt in D1 (which is funny because I used to think D1 felt a little herky jerky compared to other games just how you stop running and such it seems jarring) but then compared to its successor D1 now seems smooth as butter. I am hoping D2 will eventually either just feel "normal" or get some improvements to it.

Oh also... meant to add this tidbit of thought. I saw two prominent streamer/youtubers playing (one who famously complained about snipers). And BOTH of them are wearing some dumb looking purple hat with headphones (that I assume is some rare item, maybe some stupid item only "famous" people can get). I mean it is bright purple and seems like a nice target if for others trying to get headshots on you. If you are complaining about snipers maybe don't wear a giant beacon on your head.

Rhah on
    Its not like people who one shot you with a sniper rifle would miss if you were wearing more sensible head wear.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    I am absolutely loving this game so far overall, but it can fuck. right. off. with this newfound love of spawning waves out of random invisible locations. I have so many deaths from when dudes magically materialize out of an area I've just cleared, and because of the move towards more punishing cover mechanics, I'm just dead before I have a chance to react or reposition.

edited March 2019
    rndmhero wrote: »
    I am absolutely loving this game so far overall, but it can fuck. right. off. with this newfound love of spawning waves out of random invisible locations. I have so many deaths from when dudes magically materialize out of an area I've just cleared, and because of the move towards more punishing cover mechanics, I'm just dead before I have a chance to react or reposition.

Yeah in the dark zones this happens all the time, you'll get a slight warning about a "patrol" and then all of a sudden 6 dudes will circle shoot the fuck out of you.

And the fact player hps are lower/harder to keep up, but mob hp can be just as bullet spongey as division 1 has me dreading the fuck out of their raid. Like everyone knew the devs were full of shit about that not being the case, but god damn guys realize people actually hate having to kill a gold bar with two full 60 round clips of ammunition. Or having to cheese the fuck out of encounters.

Like control points are fun/challenging enough with just variety of enemy spawn and their team work, you don't also need to give them three times the player health bar.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    Rhah wrote: »
    I impulse bought and am enjoying this but I gotta say i'm surprised @ how err, underwhelming? The graphics are for a 2019 flagship game. I have everything maxed on PC and it really doesn't look all that much better than the division 1 did. The setting itself is great it's just a bit of a technical letdown.

I was still going back to D1 the first few nights this came out and the one huge noticeable thing to me was how much smoother everything felt in D1 (which is funny because I used to think D1 felt a little herky jerky compared to other games just how you stop running and such it seems jarring) but then compared to its successor D1 now seems smooth as butter. I am hoping D2 will eventually either just feel "normal" or get some improvements to it.

Oh also... meant to add this tidbit of thought. I saw two prominent streamer/youtubers playing (one who famously complained about snipers). And BOTH of them are wearing some dumb looking purple hat with headphones (that I assume is some rare item, maybe some stupid item only "famous" people can get). I mean it is bright purple and seems like a nice target if for others trying to get headshots on you. If you are complaining about snipers maybe don't wear a giant beacon on your head.

Ironically enough I was commenting just the opposite the other night. At least on console the movement, especially when sprinting felt a lot smoother and less jerky "I have to come to a complete stop to change my direction more than 5 degreees" like Division 1

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I kinda like the weightiness of the movement, now that I’ve acclimated to it. Makes more sense for a person carrying a heavy backpack and eight thousand firearms than being able to stop and pivot on a dime.

I DON’T like getting snagged on environmental geometry in the middle of a firefight, but that’s a different issue.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me

My overall feeling with the Division 2 is that it is both the absolute best loot shooter around right now and an inferior game to the original. I'm still having a blast with it, but the combination of a weaker writing in the collectable items, which is reducing the desire to explore, and the change from mostly placing enemies on the map to spawning on combat really are huge negatives compared to Division 1. The combat and the environment design, especially when you get past the opening areas, are still really strong.

The chief reason the contracts are so hard, especially playing solo, is because they don't spawn until you engage the random enemies in the area. This usually means that you are in a terrible position when the named boss and his elite goons spawn, and any attempt to move will end up with the swarm of elites and randoms murdering you really quick.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    idk how you balance multiplayer scaling in a loot shooter. for me solo while leveling i don't think enemies are spongy at all except for heavies, but once 4 people are shooting i imagine you'll need to shoot 4 times as many bullets minimum.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    finnith wrote: »
    This game is weird cause in theory I like Anthem more but in practice I like this more.

Wonder how each will stand up after a few months of patches/updates.

Anthem is really something new and fresh when it comes to the moment-to-moment combat. It's just that the world is so barren and the tasks so rote, that it doesn't take long to get to the "I guess this is it?" feeling.

The Division 2 is a masterclass in how to do these games right. Just like the original, the missions and the worldmap are full of life and provide a full and deep single player experience even outside the multiplayer and loot chase. There is a lot of variety in encounters and missions, with plenty of Easter eggs, unusual twists on the formula (Not every Control Point supply room is the same), and the presence of named elites and other random elements on the map to disrupt the flow of normal activities.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. They want you to keep in cover so seem to encourage you to move up from cover to cover but when random doors that are not openable suddenly spawn out a squad of baddies it trips my BS meter more than random portaling in enemies in anthem for some reason. I died 3 times in one mission learning where the BS mobs spawns would happen so I knew where I could dodge for cover and where you couldn't. Maybe thats more acceptable when in a full group but when soloing its pretty frustrating.

Knight_ wrote: »
    idk how you balance multiplayer scaling in a loot shooter. for me solo while leveling i don't think enemies are spongy at all except for heavies, but once 4 people are shooting i imagine you'll need to shoot 4 times as many bullets minimum.

For me I'd rather have more enemies and them to use more of their different units (which challenging does do, it just does it with bullet sponge enemies), but I'd rather have encounters that are more fun than super bullet sponge team shoot things, also for me to be able to use a whole arena and not just the corner of a room that gives us the best chance to win because of enemy hps.

My hope is that challenging is currently tuned for tier 5 and when players can get there we can kill enemies and have fun again, but right now when you do a challenging run its just cheese mechanics and like two taps from enemies.

Like when you play a normalized dark zone that's the challenge I want, enemies die fast, so do players but it doesn't feel like one side has an obvious advantage like lz multi person encounters.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    kaid wrote: »

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. They want you to keep in cover so seem to encourage you to move up from cover to cover but when random doors that are not openable suddenly spawn out a squad of baddies it trips my BS meter more than random portaling in enemies in anthem for some reason. I died 3 times in one mission learning where the BS mobs spawns would happen so I knew where I could dodge for cover and where you couldn't. Maybe thats more acceptable when in a full group but when soloing its pretty frustrating.

If nothing else, they absolutely should not be spawning to your rear. That's death for a single player, and it happens way to often.

My least favorite one that has happened to me was trying to find a contract in a field with some debris and a single, very small shed. When the shed door popped open behind me and all the elites flooded out, that was me done for that contract.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I mean enemies are being alerted to your presence. Yes I hate it as well, but knowing that "Oh the objective is here, so the enemy should spawn over there" is a bit cliche. At least in missions it doesn't happen that much.
    Knight_ wrote: »

You make enemies that have more aggressive toolsets. Just increasing health/damage is the really lazy way of doing mission difficulty. It's one reason why I'm kind of soft on the end game stronghold designs. It really isn't much different than the missions you've been playing up to that point. No unique bosses just reskinned enemies that run around shooting at you. The final boss in the capitol I didn't even realize we had killed him it was so anti-climactic.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    kaid wrote: »

Its one reason I avoid the southwest and south east open field areas. There is no cover, and npcs seem to just come out of the ground over there. Well that and until a patch ago southwest was stuttery as fuck on the xbox.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    ED! wrote: »
    I mean enemies are being alerted to your presence. Yes I hate it as well, but knowing that "Oh the objective is here, so the enemy should spawn over there" is a bit cliche. At least in missions it doesn't happen that much.

In the first game, these kind of targets were usually out in the world - patrolling or camped in buildings. That made a lot more tactics - including long-distance sniping, ambushes, and stealth - viable, while still allowing for the game to bring in more enemies from the edges of the map for reinforcements. I just don't think the combat engine really supports the hidden doors approach they are using, especially in solo play, since so many strategies are dependent on being able to focus on the most dangerous targets before they close to lethal range.

In the first game, these kind of targets were usually out in the world - patrolling or camped in buildings. That made a lot more tactics - including long-distance sniping, ambushes, and stealth - viable, while still allowing for the game to bring in more enemies from the edges of the map for reinforcements. I just don't think the combat engine really supports the hidden doors approach they are using, especially in solo play, since so many strategies are dependent on being able to focus on the most dangerous targets before they close to lethal range.

I would agree in a game where you can brawl up close a fair bit like anthem stuff just appearing on you is a mild annoyance but when you are in a game were if you are out of cover you basically are dead having the random clown car closets of death spawn random stuff right behind you is frustrating. Seriously one mission I was working the cover taking down targets feeling good and then suddenly what was a non openable door behind me vomits out a yellow boss and 2 purple bar lackies who started in melee range of me. In a full group you could gripe until you got a rez but that shit is infuriating when you are solo in a mission.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'm only level 14 but I'm not having many problems with enemies spawning behind me. I am usually making pretty short hops from cover to cover though, not moving around the map in a circle.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular

True enough. I've been caught by the "peek-a-boo" enemies from out the side door as well and died and almost deleted the game in anger because it feels so cheap (especially in a no-respawn area).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    I am okay with mobs spawning btw they just should do it from actual corridors/halls that you can at a glance tell are actual pathways not out of what may or may not be a painted on door.