As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Totally Accurate Battle Sim (EA) out today!

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Anyone else remember Onlive?

I feel like this is basically the same thing, except ten years later and this time it's Google doing it.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    slapping art styles onto something by feeding it example images is the most soulless thing imaginable

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Peewi wrote: »

I feel like this is basically the same thing, except ten years later and this time it's Google doing it.

Pretty sure that's what I used a few times.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

The only way they can succeed with that is pushing for better data plans (ahem. no data plans at all) and better infrastructure. They got the money I guess

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    slapping art styles onto something by feeding it example images is the most soulless thing imaginable

it also just looks so bad

like a visual algorithm slapped on some polygons without actual art direction just looks like shit

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    What the shit is that, it feels haunted

• Options
    berserk (2016)

they tried to save money by doing CG animation and applying a cel-shaded filter on top to make it look like an anime

the end result is... not convincing

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I've never heard of a teraflop before. That is a silly sounding word for whatever a teraflop is.

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    wait is that why berserk 2017 looked so bad

that's amazing

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    If there's anyone who could do game streaming stuff right it'd definitely be the company that already has more datacenters and network infrastructure than God, so on that end of things at least I'm optimistic.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Brolo wrote: »

BUT IT GOT DEM FLOPS

hqdefault.jpg

Donnicton on
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    berserk (2016)
    they tried to save money by doing CG animation and applying a cel-shaded filter on top to make it look like an anime
    Well, it was not only the art style. The animation also could be really bad non-existent:

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I thought the art filters looked neat and I could imagine it possibly being useful to smaller devs depending on how it works? maybe?

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    and it's not like CG is inherently bad on its own

but you have to put effort into it, in order to make the style work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhGjCzxJV3E

like Guilty Gear Xrd (and Dragon Ball Fighter Z) use this technique

but once they apply they cel-shading filter

they go through *EVERY SINGLE FRAME* of animation and fix it!

like it's not a time saving technique or a shortcut to spend less money on animation!

If you want it to look good, you have to put the effort in

• Options
    There's no way I'm not calling this the Google Stevia.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    berserk (2016)
    Well, it was not only the art style. The animation also could be really bad non-existent:
    lmyfjl.gif

Guts died on his way to his home planet

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    The GameStream demo worked fantastic on my average connection. I was really impressed.

Did they mention pricing? Is it a subscription service, or do you have to buy games individually?

They mentioned a store a bunch and that games would be available through the Google Play Store. But that's it.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I've never heard of a teraflop before. That is a silly sounding word for whatever a teraflop is.

Flops means "floating point operations per second".

It's basically a measure of how much math a computer can do in a second.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    there was a good gif floating around for that shot

yeah here it is

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I dunno why but gifv’s never work for me on mobile.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

Yeah, they're always super zoomed in for me

• Options

the mobile stylesheet needs

video {

max-width: 100%;

}

if you're using firefox mobile (on android) you can actually install a greasemonkey modification that will add this css, which makes them viewable and not get cut off

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I'm skeptical about streaming gaming platforms until we live in a world without data caps

Promotion of these things always comes from places that live in fibre bubbles

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    I'm gonna post that in the bug forum

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    The big problem with Stadia is that Google has a habit of creating products (Hangouts, Google+, Inbox etc.) and forgetting that they ever existed.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

the mobile stylesheet needs

video {

max-width: 100%;

}

if you're using firefox mobile (on android) you can actually install a greasemonkey modification that will add this css, which makes them viewable and not get cut off

I’m on iOS and also that is gibberish to me

• Options
    I played and loved Project Stream, personally. Of course, I don't have a data cap and a high-end connection.
    If I end up using it at all, I'll use it for big games. Like, Shadow of War is 100 GB without DLC. Deus Ex Mankind Divided is 90. The free copy of Assassin's Creed Odyssey I got from Project STrem, I haven't even installed yet, as it's 60 GB. I don't have hard drive space for my games.

Also thank god I can just use any USB controller, I already have an Xbox One controller.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    As Google moves to launch a new service platform that they say will bring together a community of creative people, let us remember that they are killing Google+ off as we speak. Google+ was instrumental in bringing together TTRPG groups and led to the meetings and collaboration of many folks who are now big names in those circles. Apocalypse World and Roll20 would not exist without Google+.

• Options
    For people who care, Digital Foundry got an early look at specs and hands-on footage of Stadia. Here's a bunch of info on hardware specs and latency:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG06H7IQ9Aw

It's faster than Project Stream, about on par with an Xbox One X in terms of input lag.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    A Tera flop is when a korean mmo tries to come over to the US in an oversaturated market.

• Options
    FLOPS is actually an acronym

for Floppy Loppy Oppy Poppy Socks

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    FLOPS is actually an acronym

for Floppy Loppy Oppy Poppy Socks

I am issuing you a fine for one marmalade anchovy pumpernickel sandwich for unreasonable silliness

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    There's no way I'm not calling this the Google Stevia.

hahahaha

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular

To be fair, that time someone put the Doom box art on Doom was kind of cool.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    343 Interactive did an AMA about the upcoming PC release of the Master Chief Collection on Reddit, here's a rundown with links to the important info that was shared: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/b2zqw1/halo_mcc_ama_summary_of_answered_questions/

Some big ones include:
    • No PC/Xbox crossplay at launch, but Steam/Microsoft Store is in
    • No package deal until all the games are out, you have to buy them one at a time unless you want to wait until everything's available, no pricing yet
    • Goal is to support uncapped FPS in every game (being worked on), there will be FOV sliders for all of them
    • No mod support at launch but they're working with modders (including the guys who hacked Halo Online to make El Dewrito) to get something working
    • There will be a server browser for custom games, but no actual community owned custom servers
    • Reach's mix and match armor customization is coming back, working on doing this for Halo 3 as well

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    wait you have to buy the Master Chief Collection piecemeal?

doesn't that kinda negate the collection part of it?

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    As Google moves to launch a new service platform that they say will bring together a community of creative people, let us remember that they are killing Google+ off as we speak. Google+ was instrumental in bringing together TTRPG groups and led to the meetings and collaboration of many folks who are now big names in those circles. Apocalypse World and Roll20 would not exist without Google+.

That's interesting. I thought G+ was as close to universally lambasted as a Google product had ever been.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    G+ was a bad replacement for Facebook at the moment it was released, but it secretly had a bunch of useful functionality and also Facebook has never stopped getting worse which assuredly does not help

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    wait you have to buy the Master Chief Collection piecemeal?

doesn't that kinda negate the collection part of it?

It's all still run through the same program.

I am surprised there's no "season pass" equivilant, but given they're releasing the games one at a time as they're finished being ported, maybe they didn't want to charge people for content they might not see for years.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    mkpS8aE.png
    stadia controller

So instead of developing their own controller, they're just reselling those rip-off PS4 controllers you can buy on AliExpress for $10/each?

This discussion has been closed.