As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV] Job Action trailer out now. So shiny!

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    I'm not sure how much has changed since I stopped playing but most of the DoL/DoH jobs seemed unable to justify the investment involved in levelling them.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah I did a couple levemetes last night for gathering, which seemed handy. Probably will do the level 5 job quest for botanist.

It seems like I could maybe use things I gathered (outside of levemetes) to craft botanist things as a carpenter?

• MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    I am deliberately limiting my Crafting/ Gathering to the GC supply missions to not crush my soul into paste. It's nice to craft a little and fart around while waiting for queues to pop.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I don't think I'll do crafting/gathering stuff, like, exclusively. But if I'm just wanting to chill out and level up that stuff, I dunno, seems okay.

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    The problem with DoH/DoL jobs is the most efficient way to level them is kind of unintuitive and you really want to do like all of them together so you dont burn your entire bank account repeatedly buying gear for them.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Roegadyn
    yeah I leveled all of mine to 60 because I'm a madman who used to have a lot of gil

and now that I'm getting into SB, that means more beast tribe crafting yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

edit: It is really nice to be able to repair and overrepair your gear though, and I can make stuff for glamours and houses and stuff

Depressperado on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    the keys to leveling doh/dol from someone who's capped them all over the course of stormblood:

1) balance grinding them with other activities to avoid burnout
    2) have something to kind of relax/zone out to going, like a podcast or maybe a youtube video on another monitor
    3) take the time to learn what your skills do and how they synergize!
    4) level them all in lockstep if possible, for both gear and cross-skill reasons
    5) if you're doing both, try to level your gatherers before your crafters
    6) doing something specific (filling out gathering/crafting logs, leves, GC turn-ins, collectable turn-ins, custom deliveries, beast tribe quests) is always preferable to gathering/crafting randomly, for a myriad of reasons
    7) level at least one retainer as a dow/dom to hunt shit for you, preferably as the same class you main in combat, and give them your old gear, trust me on this
    8) the ffxiv community has written thousands of guides, recorded hundreds of videos, and built about a dozen comprehensive databases to make all of this shit easier to understand, keep track of, and find, so take advantage of that!

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I've been leveling my DoL jobs each weekend while I watch Overwatch League. It helps breaking them into 5 level chunks, can usually knock out all 3 via leves in a couple hour block.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    You will not make a dime on crafters or gathers for a long time. You can eventually, but it's a long ass journey.

They're pay to win in essence. Spend gil and save time, or don't.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Crafting early items for a few gil and selling them for 5-15k/each is actually a way you can turn a profit early on with crafters. The game economy might have moved on a bit, but the sub-20 gear tended to be decent money makers early on when I went through those levels. the 40-50 stuff is miserable and HW onwards crafted items tend not to sell very well on whole.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Larlar
    why buy leveling gear off the auction board when you can buy it from vendors for dirt cheap?

BahamutZERO.gif
    Yeah, I'll probably do some of the gathering quests and stuff just to see the content, but otherwise I'm probably gonna not focus on it hard.

Roegadyn
    Because other MMOs, WoW especially, teach people that vendor gear is garbage. Which isn't the case in FF14 but people won't figure that out right away.

X22wmuF.jpg
    Miqo'te
    Plus HQ gear has an extra stat or 2 and 15k per item is cheap and convenient when you are leveling up an alt class.

Roegadyn
    You really don't need that stat or two though. You'd be hard pressed to even notice it.

X22wmuF.jpg
    Roegadyn
    leveling doh/dol is a long term investment but honestly I did mine to see the stories

the goldsmith's especially are great

Miqo'te
    Oh, HQ crafted gear is totally an unneeded luxury or laziness tax. Most crafting and gathering is selling to other crafters and gatherers.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hyur
    leveling doh/dol is a long term investment but honestly I did mine to see the stories

the goldsmith's especially are great

ALC is where it's at on that.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    I'm just doing botanist right now because it's the only DoL class I was interested in

I wanna do culinarian tho

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Au Ra
    i think it'll be https://www.twitch .tv/squareenix

they confirmed this today btw!
    The English commentary stream will feature FFXIV’s own Michael-Christopher Koji Fox and North American Community Director Matt Hilton commenting and discussing the content of the Japanese stream. The duo will not be translating the Japanese stream in real-time, but will be watching it alongside the audience and covering details of the announcements and discussing the content taking place on the main stage.

The English commentary stream will cover:

Naoki Yoshida’s Keynote Address – Day 1
    Letter from the Producer LIVE Part L – Day 2
    Development Panel – Day 2

liEt3nH.png
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    A FFXIV song played for the 2019 MLB Opening Series.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Larlar
    quest leading up to heavensward thing:
    why is Y'shtola's holy bigger than mine >:(

holy shit Alphinaud did they change your voice actor in Heavensward or did you hit puberty in the last 10 minutes since I last talked you?

I'm choosing to believe it's rapid onset puberty

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Au Ra
    A FFXIV song played for the 2019 MLB Opening Series.

At least two songs.

Roegadyn
    quest leading up to heavensward thing:
    why is Y'shtola's holy bigger than mine >:(

holy shit Alphinaud did they change your voice actor in Heavensward or did you hit puberty in the last 10 minutes since I last talked you?

I'm choosing to believe it's rapid onset puberty

plenty of voice actors changed going from 2.0 to 3.0

thankfully I don't think there was ever another shake-up that big

most of the new cast does just fine, though I, for one, miss merlwyb's original voice

also

https://youtu.be/US18WiYOvcQ

Au Ra
    Roegadyn alt up to level 32 and everywhere I go I'm still being constantly reminded, "Wow, cats are short."

uMEw1H3.jpg

Miqo'te
    We're not short, we're vertically challenged!

edited March 2019
    Au Ra
    I know that, having three Miqo'te characters myself, but it's just standing next to them at this angle seems to throw that into starker contrast than being on my Miqo'te character(s) looking up at a different player's Roegadyn does.

Alts may not be strictly necessary in this game to experience content, but they do provide a fascinating change of perspective.

SabreMau on
    Miqo'te
    I did make an Au'ra female as an alt, and they're even shorter.

Might make a Roe if I ever feel like having the good ping of the EU datacenter, just to be massively different from my main.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Larlar
    I just realized I haven't done any Hildibrand stuff this expac.

aTBDrQE.jpg
    Roegadyn
    well the good news if you'll be able to catch up real quick

• hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Just got my first class up to 50! Dragoon! That was fun.

Now to do it like ten more times...and I guess try to finish the msq. Just unlocked beast tribe stuff.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hyur
    Just got my first class up to 50! Dragoon! That was fun.

Now to do it like ten more times...and I guess try to finish the msq. Just unlocked beast tribe stuff.

The 1.0 beast tribes are a terrible slog. They're much improved in Heavensward.

1.0 tribes give shitty rep per run and don't scale. Heavensward has much higher rep and scales to level (so they're good choices for XP while queued from 50-60).

That said, each beast tribe does have a vendor with useful mats for crafts in the 25-40 range or so, which can be helpful for crafters to unlock. And the Ixal are less awful and actually useful for leveling crafters (although still a slog, compared to the crafter beast tribes in the expansions).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Roegadyn
    The ARR beast tribes aren't quite as bad as they first seem. They cap out at only rank 4, and each rank you unlock new quests that give more rep than the previous ones. So each rank takes about the same number of days, despite the rep needed going up.

Its probably still slower than the HW or SB tribes, but not by much. And the zones the quests are in are fairly small, so if you come back when you're a few levels above fifty you can really blow through all the dailies each day.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Nice, my first mount, a chocobo, of course.

Ooh, I get to name it? I’ll name it after my kid, who really likes Chocobos. No one is going to see its name.

Oh, I can use it to fight with me..... eh.

• Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Nice, my first mount, a chocobo, of course.

Ooh, I get to name it? I’ll name it after my kid, who really likes Chocobos. No one is going to see its name.

Oh, I can use it to fight with me..... eh.

If you have it summoned people can see it's name

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    I named mine Kwehvin

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    I named mine Rondo, after our family's car.

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Roegadyn
    I named mine Birdian because I've done a thing for years where I name all my mmo characters some variation of ____dian.

It started from a totally made up name "Grodian" I used for my first WoW character but I've now got a list ~100 long of different name choices.

steam_sig.png
  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Larlar
    Mine’s named after my Dobie, Ada.

This discussion has been closed.