As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The State of Food around the BCEC, 2019

2»

• Options
    janosicekjanosicek Registered User regular
    Thanks for the list!

Any tips for a keto diet? I saw a fellow keto person posting above, so there is more of us! :)

• Options
    yutani sanyutani san MaineRegistered User regular
    janosicek wrote: »
    Thanks for the list!

Any tips for a keto diet? I saw a fellow keto person posting above, so there is more of us! :)

That would be me :D Hello fellow keto-er!

Last year I really did struggle with food. I was staying at the Midtown and there is an amazing breakfast cafe down the road (thorntons). Basically I ate there every morning and had a big breakfast and their menu was super easy to keto-fy. I would bring snacks with me throughout the day like quest bars, almonds, meat things, etc. Dinner was a challenge. I could get something overpriced like a turkey leg, or a hotdog/sausage and skip the fries and bread or get a salad. The salad station wasn't too bad though. Just be prepared to be sad to pay an absurd amount of money still when you are removing half the items that you can't eat.

This year I am staying at the element so I plan on bringing most of my own food. If you want a good breakfast and don't mind the travel, Thorntons on huntington ave is great. For dinner, Fire and Ice (mongolian bbq) is amazing since you can get just what you want and have them cook it for you. Im gonna go there at least one night. The issue is both places you have to travel to, not walk but use the subway or whatever. In walking distance I really struggled to find anything I could eat. Food trucks were my favorite in the past, but I found them essentially out for keto.

Good luck :)

• Options
    jables617jables617 Registered User regular
    A tip from another Financial District person and long-time resident: Stay away from the Barking Crab. It's notorious for poor food-handling practices and has made me and various people I know sick in the past.

• Options
    draedrae Registered User regular
    jables617 wrote: »
    A tip from another Financial District person and long-time resident: Stay away from the Barking Crab. It's notorious for poor food-handling practices and has made me and various people I know sick in the past.

Yeah, that place is a disaster.

• Options
    draedrae Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Elzemere wrote: »
    falkness wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any supermarkets within walking distance of the Element? We drove to a Whole Foods last year, but something closer would be nice.

Unfortunately Boston doesn't really do supermarkets. Your best bet for walking distance would be Roche Bros. at Downtown Crossing about a 5 minute walk north of South Station. Aside form that there's a Stop & Shop supermarket if you follow Summer St south, cross the reserve channel to the City Point area and its on East Broadway.

You'll have better luck with finding a CVS (one at south Station and one a block south of Shake Shack by the ICA).

drae wrote: »
    I work in the Financial District.

Hey what's up fellow FD worker! :)
    Some other options/info for people in that area.

1. Kane's Donuts - Over the top, sugar bomb donuts. Kinda expensive, but worth it as a treat. If you get a (non-mini) coffee roll it'll feed about six people.
    2. Max's Deli - Great breakfast and lunch options. Friday mornings they have a pancake special. Similar energy to Al's except they kinda do everything a diner would. If you LOVE bacon, get a BLT, they aren't stingy.
    3. Villa Mexico Cafe - Authentic Mexican food. Go for the house recipe salsa and return because Mama makes you feel like family.
    4. If you're looking for food trucks not at the BCEC on Thurs or Fri, check https://rosekennedygreenway.org/visit/food/full-mobile-eats-calendar/ for what is supposed to be offering service. If an individual truck has piqued your interest, check their social media for any changes/specials.

OHHAI.

Villa Mexicana is absolutely incredible. One of these days I'm gonna muster up the courage to ask Mama wtf happened to her finger.

The Greenway food truck map is great, but don't forget that the city of Boston maintains their own and they don't always line up.

https://www.boston.gov/departments/small-business-development/city-boston-food-trucks-schedule

Don't trust the city map for the Greenway, basically, but check both to make sure you aren't missing anything.

Oh! also! If you want one of those, "ugh this place can't possibly be worth a line this loOH MY GOD I WANT TO MOVE IN AND NEVER LEAVE!" experiences: Beard Papa!

http://www.beardpapa.com/

Edit to add:

I don't do Kane's really - not my kind of donut - but the thing they DO have going for them is, they're a reliable source of Tower root beer. If you like local sodas when you're somewhere new, Tower is THE best.

drae on
  • Options
    revengeancefulrevengeanceful Registered User regular
    I'll add one more recommendation to the list - Gather. It's a short walk from the BCEC, and serves a good variety of comfort foods. Has a particularly good brunch menu on the weekends.
    https://www.gatherboston.com/

• Options
    pakopakopakopako Registered User regular
    I am upset at the loss of a nearby KO Meat Pie.

• Options
    nycguynycguy Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    anyone with recs for breakfast? ie: diner or the like? looking for like a standard eggs, potatoes, meat skillet or something.

also re: food trucks, the entrance is a bit messy this year. gotta go out the right and walk all the way around to get to the food trucks off of West. super annoying

finally, i DO NOT recommend getting the wings near the BYOC/PC freeplay area. terrible and at $2/wing (pay $12 for an order of 6) soggy badness

nycguy on
  • Options
    PainePaine Registered User regular
    nycguy wrote: »
    anyone with recs for breakfast? ie: diner or the like? looking for like a standard eggs, potatoes, meat skillet or something.

also re: food trucks, the entrance is a bit messy this year. gotta go out the right and walk all the way around to get to the food trucks off of West. super annoying

finally, i DO NOT recommend getting the wings near the BYOC/PC freeplay area. terrible and at $2/wing (pay $12 for an order of 6) soggy badness

Mul’s Diner is excellent, but be prepared for a bit of a wait on weekends.

6nOrszL.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Feneuil Hall is great if you're up for a walk. Great variety of food. We're here now and I make the mistake every year of getting underwhelming fish and chips. Then I look longingly at the mac and cheese walking by. I did it again this year!

But my daughter got mac and cheese. And now she won't eat it because she's almost four and that's what kids do.

All that is to say get the damn mac and cheese. It's excellent.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    The food trucks behind the BCEC and between the hotels were excellent. I recommend the poutine from "The Dining Car" at least I think that's what it was called.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)