As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Division 2] Launching in March! Beta has started.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Does oxidizer set them on fire, because I've seen a number of guns that do more damage when they're doing the flaming hokey pokey.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Does oxidizer set them on fire, because I've seen a number of guns that do more damage when they're doing the flaming hokey pokey.

No oxidizer is armor acid, there is a specific flame one that does the fire, and its great if you're a survivalist/have a gun that does more damage to burning targets...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    So you need to do SO MUCH Cxp to unlock a clan cache. Woe Bundy got extremely close to unlocking the bronze cache, but not quite there. I think the numbers need to be tweaked a little bit to make it easier to grab a cache, at least the bronze.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    CorriganX wrote: »
    So you need to do SO MUCH Cxp to unlock a clan cache. Woe Bundy got extremely close to unlocking the bronze cache, but not quite there. I think the numbers need to be tweaked a little bit to make it easier to grab a cache, at least the bronze.

Yeah they seemingly set the clan stuff at "Sweaty group of 30 dudes who play streamer hours a day".

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Ok game, if you're going to keep calling me Sheriff, you bet your ass I'm spending those free shop points on a cowboy hat

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

No oxidizer is armor acid, there is a specific flame one that does the fire, and its great if you're a survivalist/have a gun that does more damage to burning targets...

Note that when you first choose the Chemical Gun, you can choose one of four variations as your starter gun-type. It's the only Perk that does this (I think) and is not immediately obvious when you first look at the item description, so it's easy to go with Healing Gun as default because you didn't know you could select Poison Gun instead.

• Options
    Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    Can someone tell me what page or where the Clan link is for PSN? Sorry, I was traveling last week and wow, this thread is amazing.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Spicy_Rev wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what page or where the Clan link is for PSN? Sorry, I was traveling last week and wow, this thread is amazing.

First post, between the videos

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »

Note that when you first choose the Chemical Gun, you can choose one of four variations as your starter gun-type. It's the only Perk that does this (I think) and is not immediately obvious when you first look at the item description, so it's easy to go with Healing Gun as default because you didn't know you could select Poison Gun instead.

It works that way for all skills. When you unlock the skill for the first time, you can choose any of the variations to start with.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Where do clan caches go? I saw something about a silver cache this morning but couldn't find it anywhere.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    Where do clan caches go? I saw something about a silver cache this morning but couldn't find it anywhere.

There is a large chest in the clan section of the white house that you can open and then clan cache goes into the same place as your field proficiency caches.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »

Yeah they seemingly set the clan stuff at "Sweaty group of 30 dudes who play streamer hours a day".

Yeah, it's kind of depressing. They basically made the clan rewards an insurmountable obstacle for clans of the minimum size. My clan is 4 people, will probably never be more than 6, and we haves jobs, some of us kids, some grad school.

They should really have it scale at least somewhat if they want people who want a small clan of close friends to ever get a reward.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    I don't think it should be nerfed, but the chem launcher multiple charges + negligible cooldown seems wildly out of line with the other skills. Like, it would be good under any circumstances, but a huge part of it's utility is just having ~100% up-time vs other skills.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Croaker wrote: »
    I feel like some of the spawning issues folks are talking about in this game aren't really as random as they might seem - D2 just changes the movement patterns of the player in combat over D1, which I absolutely appreciate and has made the game a lot more enjoyable for me, personally.

Whereas in D1 I always knew I could push forward in cover after taking a few enemies out, I can't really do that in D2. I have to always be looking for more spawns and keeping options open. It's less of a bulldozer moving through the environments and more of a skirmish feel. I really like it, personally.

There absolutely are issues with random patrols engaging out of nowhere at bad times, but I'm okay with those too. Some kind of warning would be nice, but I feel like the audio cues of enemy footsteps are so much better in D2 that I'm not too bothered.
    I think maybe you're on to something here. I never really played Div1 that much and the spawns here in Div2 feel very organic to me. I mean the only time it felt bad to me is when I was looking directly at an un-openable non-interactable door and it popped open and three enemies strolled out. I was like, "Wait... what?!?" For the most part that backspawn doesn't really affect things much in real gameplay. You just can't be too aggressive pushing a point and you need to keep continually watching the radar for red on your flanks and rear.

Honestly, it just makes the LZ areas feel more PvP-like, where things are more unpredictable and you could get shot in the back with no warning at any time. Minus the annoying childish smack-talk, of course.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Well, hit Lv30 in Div1 and it only took me a couple of hours or so (plus the three pieces of high-gear loot I got from opening the box I got as part of the Gold Edition) to go from there to World Tier 4. Still have the last Story mission to beat but are there any tips for a player new to Div1 endgame? Is there an order I oughta take with things?

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    ED! wrote: »
    Yeah but what boss is moving slow enough for it to do real damage? I mean I guess the big tank but I've tried it on them and wasn't that impressed with the damage to armor.

Most bosses either move slowly or go from cover to cover. If they are the latter, then I just wait till they stick to cover and nail them with it.

Last night i did the MLK library side mission solo.

Last boss was giving me lots of trouble. Constantly either behind cover or spraying a ton of bullets at me. Took me a while to whittle his armor down, but he still had some and I was out of packs.

Then he threw 3 Molotovs at me, then ran all the way around the atrium and stood next to one of the bookshelves he'd just set on fire.

I took the win and didn't feel bad at all.
    I guess that mission is difficult for many people? Every time I answer a random call for help in that zone it's always that same side mission. I think I've done that final fight at least five times now!

26904.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    I feel like some of the spawning issues folks are talking about in this game aren't really as random as they might seem - D2 just changes the movement patterns of the player in combat over D1, which I absolutely appreciate and has made the game a lot more enjoyable for me, personally.

Whereas in D1 I always knew I could push forward in cover after taking a few enemies out, I can't really do that in D2. I have to always be looking for more spawns and keeping options open. It's less of a bulldozer moving through the environments and more of a skirmish feel. I really like it, personally.

There absolutely are issues with random patrols engaging out of nowhere at bad times, but I'm okay with those too. Some kind of warning would be nice, but I feel like the audio cues of enemy footsteps are so much better in D2 that I'm not too bothered.
    IU think maybe you're on to something here. I never really played Div1 that much and the spawns here in Div2 feel very organic to me. I mean the only time it felt bad to me is when I was looking directly at an un-openable non-interactable door and it popped open and three enemies strolled out. I was like, "Wait... what?!?" For the most part that backspawn doesn't really affect things much in real gameplay. You just can't be too agressive pushing a point and you need to keep continually watching the radar for red on your flanks and rear.

Honestly, it just makes the LZ areas feel more PvP-like, where things are more unpredicatable and you could get shot in the back with no warning at any time. Minus the annoying childish smack-talk, of course.

For me, it's a simple game design issue. I play solo. Finished the Division 1 that way no problem and did a bunch of Dark Zone stuff after. I had no problem with dying in PvP, because it is generally fair. When it stopped being fair too many times was when I noped out of the endgame and went on to other things.

With the new design, I'm spending a lot more time staring at loading screens and replaying mission sections/losing bounties. I love the difficulty of the game, but the spawning patterns here just create too many situations where its instant game over no matter my skill level at the game. That feels less like PvP and more like someone griefing with a cheat.

I appreciate the difficulty of balancing a game for single and multi player, but the spawning mechanic as it is feels overly punitive to single players.

• Options
    Yeah but what boss is moving slow enough for it to do real damage? I mean I guess the big tank but I've tried it on them and wasn't that impressed with the damage to armor.

Most bosses either move slowly or go from cover to cover. If they are the latter, then I just wait till they stick to cover and nail them with it.

Last boss was giving me lots of trouble. Constantly either behind cover or spraying a ton of bullets at me. Took me a while to whittle his armor down, but he still had some and I was out of packs.

Then he threw 3 Molotovs at me, then ran all the way around the atrium and stood next to one of the bookshelves he'd just set on fire.

I guess that mission is difficult for many people? Every time I answer a random call for help in that zone it's always that same side mission. I think I've done that final fight at least five times now!

If you do it early on/didn't do it in the beta it can kind of hit you pretty hard with snipers at a distance, and a big dude slugging it out on you.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    The continuous random enemy spawns in West Side Piers of the first game were disliked by a large number of players so I was surprised that they went with that system as the basis for everything in Div2.

• Options
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    The continuous random enemy spawns in West Side Piers of the first game were disliked by a large number of players so I was surprised that they went with that system as the basis for everything in Div2.

You know I hadn't thought of it like that, but yeah west side piers is how some places in the lz feel.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Washington Monument spoiler.
    So behind the bill of rights is a division logo on the floor and a button. Pushing the button pops a map up on the screen with marks around the monument. I took a photo and went to each spot. They seem to be graves of other Division agents and the marks are their watch locations. There doesn't seem to be anything else you can do with that though. Odd.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I did the Lincoln Memorial just before I finished for the night and wow that last guy is an absolute monster solo.
    I guess if you have one more person you can find a tank on him somewhere with his back turned but a fully armoured sprinting flamethrower man is tough, even if the game gives you a lot of kiting room.

I feel that I am definitely going to hit 30 before the end of the story..I assume whatever happens to start the next phase is tied to 30 and that last story mission otherwise it's going to get weird real fast.
    So behind the bill of rights is a division logo on the floor and a button. Pushing the button pops a map up on the screen with marks around the monument. I took a photo and went to each spot. They seem to be graves of other Division agents and the marks are their watch locations. There doesn't seem to be anything else you can do with that though. Odd.

Huh
    I swear I tried to hit that button and there wasn't any interaction so I thought it must open later. I'm going to have to go look tomorrow now!

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    if you salute each grave and go back to the monument at night... something happens. I think there's a light on somewhere. Last I checked nobody had figured out what to do next.

• Options
    edited March 2019

IU think maybe you're on to something here. I never really played Div1 that much and the spawns here in Div2 feel very organic to me. I mean the only time it felt bad to me is when I was looking directly at an un-openable non-interactable door and it popped open and three enemies strolled out. I was like, "Wait... what?!?" For the most part that backspawn doesn't really affect things much in real gameplay. You just can't be too agressive pushing a point and you need to keep continually watching the radar for red on your flanks and rear.

Honestly, it just makes the LZ areas feel more PvP-like, where things are more unpredicatable and you could get shot in the back with no warning at any time. Minus the annoying childish smack-talk, of course.

For me, it's a simple game design issue. I play solo. Finished the Division 1 that way no problem and did a bunch of Dark Zone stuff after. I had no problem with dying in PvP, because it is generally fair. When it stopped being fair too many times was when I noped out of the endgame and went on to other things.

With the new design, I'm spending a lot more time staring at loading screens and replaying mission sections/losing bounties. I love the difficulty of the game, but the spawning patterns here just create too many situations where its instant game over no matter my skill level at the game. That feels less like PvP and more like someone griefing with a cheat.

I appreciate the difficulty of balancing a game for single and multi player, but the spawning mechanic as it is feels overly punitive to single players.
    I don't completely disagree, but speaking for myself only (as a wannabe PvP player, but lacking skillz to actually realize that dream) I much prefer dealing with backspawning enemies rather than bullet sponges that take multiple clips hitting right on the sweetspot to go down.

I guess, for _me_ (a non-representative player with specific tastes) the supposedly "random" spawning enemies (which actually aren't random at all) make the game more fun and challenging.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    if you salute each grave and go back to the monument at night... something happens. I think there's a light on somewhere. Last I checked nobody had figured out what to do next.
    Hunters spawn at certain locations, if you kill them you can unlock hunter masks
    https://youtu.be/h-DRBaXpFho

• Options
    Yeah good on you guys for finding that shit, I swear to god I find nothing like that!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

If you do it early on/didn't do it in the beta it can kind of hit you pretty hard with snipers at a distance, and a big dude slugging it out on you.
    There's a few things going on. As far as I know the mission only has 1 ammo restock box, and it's not before the boss fight. You can actually backtrack to get it and initiate the fight from the other side, but it's annoying. Particularly if you die and have to do it over again.

The bottom floor has 3 assaults and a purple bar grenadier. Then 2 more assaults and 2 snipers rappel in to the second floor. Then suddenly hey there's the boss throwing molotovs and having so much armor it takes what feels like several full clips from my M60 to get through it, though it's hard to tell because you can barely get 2 rounds off before he's completely stripped your armor.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

There's a few things going on. As far as I know the mission only has 1 ammo restock box, and it's not before the boss fight. You can actually backtrack to get it and initiate the fight from the other side, but it's annoying. Particularly if you die and have to do it over again.

The bottom floor has 3 assaults and a purple bar grenadier. Then 2 more assaults and 2 snipers rappel in to the second floor. Then suddenly hey there's the boss throwing molotovs and having so much armor it takes what feels like several full clips from my M60 to get through it, though it's hard to tell because you can barely get 2 rounds off before he's completely stripped your armor.

Yeah I totally know why that particular place fucks you up. Because it fucks me up! In beta and in the main game! And I freaking knew it was coming!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    Hunters spawn at certain locations, if you kill them you can unlock hunter masks
    https://youtu.be/h-DRBaXpFho
    I have no idea how someone found the hunters there, I can barely see them when the video pauses and zooms in on them.

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Is this the kind of game you need to play the first one to understand or can you just jump into the sequel and not be too lost?

• Options
    edited March 2019
    soylenth wrote: »
    Is this the kind of game you need to play the first one to understand or can you just jump into the sequel and not be too lost?

Considering I played the first game and I was lost as shit in the second one. No you don't have to play the first game.

This is a game with very little story or connective tissue, its strength is the gameplay and systems.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Ah okay. I'd mostly be into it for the looting and shooting. It's probably for the best in any case. I'm usually not the target audience for the politics of the Tom Clancy stuff.

soylenth on
  • Options

The things to take away from Div1 story-wise besides the Green Poison/Dollar Flu epidemic and that you're part of a secret organization called the Strategic Homeland Division (or Division/SHD for short) is that...
    ...a Division agent from the first batch sent into NYC went rogue and stole what he needed to make a new version of Green Poison as well as kidnapped a Russian virologist to help him do it. He fled the city with both while the Div1 Agents were taking down his partner in the game's final boss fight. Between that and the SHD-tech he still has, he's the largest threat to fixing the country if not the world. Also, there's a fifth faction of sorts that originated from Div1's expansion DLC called the Hunters which for some reason are stalking Division agents and being quite adapt at doing so. It helps that in-game they move as quick and even behave some like actual players.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    As someone who played the first game quickly to get the story down, don’t bother if that’s the only reason you’re gonna play it.

Read a quick synopsis and jump in to this one.

The first game is totally worth playing but that’s because it’s world building and atmosphere are great.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    I might just play it casually anyway at some point. Maybe wait for another ubisoft sale, assuming they put div 1 on sale.

I guess my second question is: is the looting and shooting better in 1 or 2? Or about the same?

soylenth on
  • Options
    I got the Gold Edition on XB1 for 18 bucks and it seems Ubisoft puts it on sale on a regular basis.

• Options
    Owenashi wrote: »
    I got the Gold Edition on XB1 for 18 bucks and it seems Ubisoft puts it on sale on a regular basis.

Cool, I'll keep an eye out. I want to try watchdogs at some point too. I am increasingly entangled in the Ubisoft ecosystem and I can't say I hate it.

• Options
    I might just play it casually anyway at some point. Maybe wait for another ubisoft sale, assuming they put div 1 on sale.

I guess my second question is: is the looting and shooting better in 1 or 2? Or about the same?

Div 2. Shooting (at least the 1-30 shooting) feels much better, and there’s more skills to play with. There’s more gear variation with brands and sets on top of the quality and Exotic status’s. The combat is more fun - enemies are smarter, use lots of different tactics against you and attack from all angles. The world itself is full of stuff to do, whereas the first game was very empty outside of quests and collectibles.

Though the real world aspect may dull the excitement - you’re looking for better versions of real world guns, sets, knee pads, etc

• Options
    When it comes to Watchdogs, it might be best to skip the first game. From what I've heard so far, nothing from it really matters in the second and it's lead wasn't exactly the most charismatic fellow to follow.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    -Loki- wrote: »

Div 2. Shooting (at least the 1-30 shooting) feels much better, and there’s more skills to play with. There’s more gear variation with brands and sets on top of the quality and Exotic status’s. The combat is more fun - enemies are smarter, use lots of different tactics against you and attack from all angles. The world itself is full of stuff to do, whereas the first game was very empty outside of quests and collectibles.

Though the real world aspect may dull the excitement - you’re looking for better versions of real world guns, sets, knee pads, etc

This is the assessment I was looking for, ty! Loki always comes through.

I'm guessing if i play one i'll just do the story and leveling and stop at endgame and then move on to div 2.

soylenth on