As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Corsair is actually a better mech than I expected. Plays a bit like a Fafnir or Atlas.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I tried the Corsair with 2xUAC10 and LRM30. It was okay.

First thing I did was get rid of that XL engine - in a mech that wide it's suicide.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Speaking of suicide. Today I fought a King Crab that used an XL engine. He died.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Corsair is actually a better mech than I expected. Plays a bit like a Fafnir or Atlas.

But is it as greebly as the key art made it look?

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

It looks Orky AF. It's gloriously haphazard.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
    kdc501ggofty.jpg
    tirh3afube3n.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I’m so damn tempted to speed tweak the Broadside and paint it red.

And put a decals on the back that spell “Waaagh”

• monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    I love the Broadside.
    In fact, I killed two in one match last night! (A match we ended up losing despite my 800+ damage, I got cocky when we were up 7-9, lost a leg, then lost 4 friendlies in the span of a few seconds)
    It's so easy to hit.
    -Love, my ACH

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Ahhh, another Arctic Cheetah convert. I miss the days when those were target #1 on everybody's radar. Now you can hide in the shadows with a Piranha and take people by surprise.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    chasm wrote: »

Its not even balanced, the torso sags on one side

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    I’m so damn tempted to speed tweak the Broadside and paint it red.

And put a decals on the back that spell “Waaagh”

https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#cc684d36_COR-BR ? So very bad. :biggrin:

I would download a car.
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    HBS BATTLETECH career mode could benefit from some navigation map enhancements.

Since there's a huge bucket of career points tied to visiting systems for the first time and for visiting them all, it would be great if you could see whether you've visited a system before or not.

And it definitely would be nice to have some filters you could use. Even a simple filter (show me 3-4 skull systems, show me unvisited systems, etc.) would be useful. Being able to go a few variables deep would be amazing (show me any 3-4 skull systems in Liao owned space excluding any Martian biomes. :) )

EDIT: Oh, also, not on the nav map but give me a list somewhere of the mech chassis I've acquired and the ones I still need to collect.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Ahhh, another Arctic Cheetah convert. I miss the days when those were target #1 on everybody's radar. Now you can hide in the shadows with a Piranha and take people by surprise.

After I finished Skilling it I left it for a while, instead playing around with some other mechs. I recently decided to play more for fun than for filling bars, and have re-discovered the joy of lots of machine guns.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

Hardpoints are also not 100% straight. They're often slightly askew. On the Broadside the CT launcher is just wonky.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden

Hardpoints are also not 100% straight. They're often slightly askew. On the Broadside the CT launcher is just wonky.

Its so good

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    monkeykins wrote: »

After I finished Skilling it I left it for a while, instead playing around with some other mechs. I recently decided to play more for fun than for filling bars, and have re-discovered the joy of lots of machine guns.

Let me tell you about the Piranha. Mwuahahahaha!!!

oosik_betsuni.png
    I settled on TTB's build for the Broadside (2xGR, 3xLL). Doesn't require as much facetime and has a hell of a long range punch.

I have a strong dislike for the new (old) winter version of River City or whatever? One match on it a mech went down about 15 seconds after powerup. It's so small there's hardly any opportunity for movement. It just feels like smashing tonnage together and the winner is the team that focuses fire and has better aim?

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    It'd be interesting if the matchmaking system handled those maps as 8v8 like they were designed to be. But I imagine coding that would be a huge pain in the ass, especially if you wanted to combine it with the regular 12v12 queue.

I like classic frozen city, it works out well as a brawling map.

I just never get it on my brawlers

Wait... they brought the old maps back again? Eesh...

oosik_betsuni.png
  • nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular

Why can the Pirahna get 12 Ballistic hardpoints, but the Corsair 5R can only equip 6 Machine Guns? IS needs some fun too. Having 10 hardpoints is all well and good except 8 of them are basically only good for 1 slot weapons.

AFAICT (having never looked at them) Pirahna cannot carry ECM. And that lack has been getting me into trouble with my Flea. I cannot be expected to play different mechs differently, especially not in the same gofastshootbutts category!

Old Forest Colony and Frozen City. Having never played on them before I’m finding them to be a lot smaller than I’m used to, but I like that they can’t devolve into Nascars

Why can the Pirahna get 12 Ballistic hardpoints, but the Corsair 5R can only equip 6 Machine Guns? IS needs some fun too. Having 10 hardpoints is all well and good except 8 of them are basically only good for 1 slot weapons.

The Inner Sphere Engineers could not fathom a reason for someone to be that insane to pilot a mech with so many useless weapons.

Seriously though I never understood why the IS was limited on ballistics as they are...

Old Forest Colony and Frozen City. Having never played on them before I’m finding them to be a lot smaller than I’m used to, but I like that they can’t devolve into Nascars

Oof. So we're back to the tunnel side or water side on Forest. Well at least we can have fun running the tunnel again on Frozen.

oosik_betsuni.png
    My experience so far with Frozen is that most teams just start fighting around the crashed dropship or around the small hill near the middle.

My experience so far with Frozen is that most teams just start fighting around the crashed dropship or around the small hill near the middle.

Just like old times.

steam_sig.png
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Next, all PGI needs to do roll back the 12v12 to 8v8, and shrink the modern maps to match, and the game will be good again!

(I'm not actually sure that'll make the game good again. Ignore me, I'm off my salt-meds this morning.)

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    I don't think the old maps are sticking around. Either way if they come up its better than Polar.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    The two tactics were actually not used at all. Which is why you could catch your opponents off guard. Especially 3 or more Assaults waddling out of the tunnel on Frozen.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The two tactics were actually not used at all. Which is why you could catch your opponents off guard. Especially 3 or more Assaults waddling out of the tunnel on Frozen.

2-3 fast assaults going tunnel on Frozen. Watch as the enemy light that wanted to scout and back-harass rounds the little bend and sees the 240+ ton wall of death trotting towards him...resulting in a panic stop and turn in an attempt to nope the fuck outta there.

I seem to remember this happening on at least one Oosik night way back in the day. Of course, our team crumpled because we had 240+ tons of armor away from the front-line...but it was still hilarious to do.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Yep, the king crab bucket brigade. That was the one. Someone announced on comms that we detected butter in the tunnel and scuddled off. The team chose to not listen or wait for us to flank.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Dangit, more MW5 pre-order freebies.

Pre-order before April 9th to qualify for CPLT-C2 (S), WHM-9D (S), MAD- 9M (S), KGC-001 (S)
    Pre-order before April 16th to qualify for WHM-9D (S), MAD- 9M (S), KGC-001 (S)
    Pre-order before April 23rd to qualify for MAD- 9M (S), KGC-001 (S)
    Pre-order before April 30th to qualify for KGC-001 (S)

oosik_betsuni.png

Pre-order before April 9th to qualify for CPLT-C2 (S), WHM-9D (S), MAD- 9M (S), KGC-001 (S)

If that's retroactive...well...guess I finally have a Catapult.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    The MAD-9M is an ECM Marauder. LET THAT SINK IN.

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2019
    The MAD-9M is an ECM Marauder. LET THAT SINK IN.

As somebody who pilots a MAD-IIC-D, it doesn't take long to sink in.

EDIT - huh...and it's a jump-jetting Warhammer. Interesting. Actually, with that Marauder, it wasn't the ECM that caught my eye...but the torso missile hardpoints. Finally! A Marauder with symmetry!

Erlkönig on
    The Marauder and Warhammer look interesting, not sure there's much to the King Crab or Catapult to suggest them over other models for me.

@Erlkönig stompy bots? STOMPY BOTS!

Just making a last minute announcement of Oosik Night!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

What does "to qualify for" mean here? That is not wording I would always assume means "you will receive...?"

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Yep in PGISpeak that means, "to get".

oosik_betsuni.png