As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] April showers bring May Birthdays

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Uninstalled starbound because frame rate at final boss murdered me more than the boss

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    If you're ever looking for a puzzle game about toy trains (and who isn't, really?) then Conduct Deluxe is pretty dang good. I just got the last gold medal giving me the last achievement (been a while since I finished a game let alone completed one), and it was fun the whole way through. :)

camo_sig2.png
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Grid 2 Key, must be redeemed ASAP
    Loading...?

steam_sig.png
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    ... I really hate when I go to add a game to the wishlist based on a recommendation only to see that damnable blue checkmark on the button.

steam_sig.png
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's the worst......

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I don't know what I expected.
    kgs30kp0te69.jpg
    Thank you @Pixelated Pixie for Conduct DELUXE!

steam_sig.png
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I really should not have complained about DMC 1. DMC 2, uh...

• Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

DMC2 is infamously bad. Seriously, skip it and go straight for DMC3.

Dac Vin wrote: »

NO. I BOUGHT THIS TRILOGY AND IT WILL NOT REMAIN IN MY BACKLOG.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    That's a Devil may care attitude.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    vamen wrote: »
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YLMk1E41kE"

here's the ending for system shock 2, spoilers obs

It's funny to me how Looking Glass made some of the best game endings ever, and had one of the absolute greatest and most amazingly acted characters in a game (love me some Garrett)...and then there's System Shock 2 =p.
    The "nah" gets me every time.
    Oh. that's because Ken Levine had some grandiose ending about the player putting complete trust in shodan and being betrayed and murdered at the end, and the rest of the devs fucking hated it, so they snuck that ending in last minute to tell Levine to go piss off.

As I heard it, he claims he was going to offer it as a choice... but now I'm not sure I believe him.
    If that was the intended single (forced) ending, I would not have been happy about getting stuck with it.
    And if it was a choice, I can pretty much guarantee no one would choose that option except idiots and completists.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Devils never cry.

Except for when they play DMC 2.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

It's funny to me how Looking Glass made some of the best game endings ever, and had one of the absolute greatest and most amazingly acted characters in a game (love me some Garrett)...and then there's System Shock 2 =p.
    Oh. that's because Ken Levine had some grandiose ending about the player putting complete trust in shodan and being betrayed and murdered at the end, and the rest of the devs fucking hated it, so they snuck that ending in last minute to tell Levine to go piss off.

As I heard it, he claims he was going to offer it as a choice... but now I'm not sure I believe him.
    If that was the intended single (forced) ending, I would not have been happy about getting stuck with it.
    And if it was a choice, I can pretty much guarantee no one would choose that option except idiots and completists.

To hear others tell it, that's a Far Cry Protagonist level stupid action to do.

"Yeah, sure computer program, I totally trust you!"

"Agh! Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    That's a Devil may care attitude.

It'll end in tears, I tell you now.

steam_sig.png
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular

This story just sounds so dumb that it has to be one of those things the Internet makes up about people it doesn't like. Like, rogue developers went behind Levine's back and made an ending cutscene, brought in the voice actress, recorded the audio, finalized the game and sent it to QA, out the door to be pressed and packaged? To spite the president of the company?

I guess this isn't "grove flying to Tau Ceti" unbelievable, but on the face of it it sounds at least "laser attack on Earth from Saturn orbit" ridiculous.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Orogogus wrote: »

This story just sounds so dumb that it has to be one of those things the Internet makes up about people it doesn't like. Like, rogue developers went behind Levine's back and made an ending cutscene, brought in the voice actress, recorded the audio, finalized the game and sent it to QA, out the door to be pressed and packaged? To spite the president of the company?

I guess this isn't "grove flying to Tau Ceti" unbelievable, but on the face of it it sounds at least "laser attack on Earth from Saturn orbit" ridiculous.
    https://kotaku.com/system-shock-2s-surprise-ending-for-ken-levine-anywa-5460395

Here's the article where Levine just basically says that's exactly what happened.

and I dont mean that Levine had an ending cutscene already. I mean it was scripted, and the devs hated it so they went behind his back and made the ending cutscene without his approval, not following the script.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Plus, the process of game development was a lot smaller and cheaper and less refined back then, so while it probably couldn't happen nowadays, back then it could've been possible.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Yeah. system shock 2 WAS 20 years ago.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Orogogus wrote: »

https://kotaku.com/system-shock-2s-surprise-ending-for-ken-levine-anywa-5460395

Here's the article where Levine just basically says that's exactly what happened.

and I dont mean that Levine had an ending cutscene already. I mean it was scripted, and the devs hated it so they went behind his back and made the ending cutscene without his approval, not following the script.

It sounds to me more like they sent scripts to a third party to render the cutscene, than devs working for and being paid by Levine went behind his back. Unless there's a second story from their standpoint?

EDIT:
    From the source article, the rest of it sounds pretty different from the account posted here, too.

https://irrationalgames.ghoststorygames.com/insider/what-might-have-been/

This article suggests what the other devs didn't like was the SHODAN reveal. It doesn't mention the player getting killed, either, just that SHODAN was going to double-cross you, which is basically her thing. I didn't see anything more detailed than that in a Google search.

Orogogus on
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Chat was hyping FC3 Blood Dragon last week. I tried on my laptop but when I downloaded from steam and it launch I get an error launching in uplay. Forced to uninstall, then download from uplay. So I try to play in steam but Steam wants it downloaded again. So I let it, and but turns out my crappy old laptop can't handle it.

Any way, tonight I decided to try it on desktop, and am now again at the point of downloading it for uplay after already downloading and uninstalling it for Steam. Because again after downloading it from Steam it won't run. :+1: Bummer is, I'm at home on with slow internet, instead of at work on blazing fast. So, not Blood Dragon for me.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

DMC2 is so bad that they intentionally skip past it in the story recap at the start of DMC5.

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Man, thinking about the SHODAN still gives me the spooks. That was expertly done and completely swept the rug from beneath me

steam_sig.png
    Donnicton wrote: »

DMC2 is so bad that they intentionally skip past it in the story recap at the start of DMC5.

It really is very not good. Was it made by the B team or something?

The level geometry looks like something straight out of a PS1.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

It really is very not good. Was it made by the B team or something?

The level geometry looks like something straight out of a PS1.

It actually was! They brought Hideaki Itsuno in as Director at the last minute to fix it up, and he was so embarrassed about how bad the end product still was that he resolved to make the next DMC game fucking incredible.

And that's why 3 came out so good.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    This was mentioned in the Castlevania thread, but it's relevant here too. Konami is bringing a bunch of its classic games to various modern platforms, including Steam:

First up is a bunch of arcade games, including Haunted Castle (a bad arcade Castlevania game), Typhoon, Gradius, Gradius II, Life Force, Thunder Cross, Scramble, and TwinBee.

Next is a Castlevania collection, including Castlevania I, III, IV, and the Game Boy Castlevania II. Four more titles will be announced later.

After that, a Contra collection, including what appears to be the arcade versions of Contra and Super Contra, the NES version of Super C, and Contra III: The Alien Wars. And four other games to be announced later.

Obviously I am most interested in the second collection, but it's pretty cool that they're doing this....if they do it right.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I'm almost certainly getting all of those collections. Maybe not the Contra Collection. Those games are hard.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    The most exciting thing about that news is that if Konami are opening up to releasing collections of their classic games, we might see Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill collections on Steam eventually.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Sounds like Konami is trying to take some thunder from Bloodstained. I'd rather they put the GBA and DS Castlevanias up.

Madican on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Devils never cry.

Except for when they play DMC 2.

i-fS4LLMj.jpg

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    stop hating System Shock you meanies.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Just getting ready to go do some room remodeling and @Karoz decides to drop a key for something on my wishlist.

Many thanks for Wish -tale of the sixteenth night of lunar month-! I'm always up for another VN!

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Chat was hyping FC3 Blood Dragon last week. I tried on my laptop but when I downloaded from steam and it launch I get an error launching in uplay. Forced to uninstall, then download from uplay. So I try to play in steam but Steam wants it downloaded again. So I let it, and but turns out my crappy old laptop can't handle it.

Any way, tonight I decided to try it on desktop, and am now again at the point of downloading it for uplay after already downloading and uninstalling it for Steam. Because again after downloading it from Steam it won't run. :+1: Bummer is, I'm at home on with slow internet, instead of at work on blazing fast. So, not Blood Dragon for me.

That's a bummer. :( Blood Dragon is really good, executes well on its vision, has some great gameplay loops, and doesn't overstay its welcome.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    When I tried to play Blood Dragon last week, it offered me two different "versions", one was steam and the other was Uplay. They had the same name
    One started the already installed steam version and worked fine, the other (the first on on the list) tried to install on UPlay.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    Disney just resurrected Lucasfilm games.

Sign of good things to come?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular

*Looks at modern Disney Star Wars films*

...maybe?

Karoz wrote: »

...maybe?

Rogue One was the best Star Wars movie. I will fight over this.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

...maybe?

Lucasarts was just as capable of fucking themselves. Now they'll have Disney money to do it more thoroughly.

Or perhaps they'll just subvert our expectations.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

...maybe?

Rogue One was the best Star Wars movie. I will fight over this.

R1 was incredible.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I liked TFA just fine.

Hopefully this means more than just EA will be making starwars games so at least we'll get something.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Is there a difference between Lucasfilm games and Lucasarts? Or were they the same thing?

This discussion has been closed.