As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come to my [house], be one of the comfortable people

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Strikor wrote: »
    I feel like a single small-ish lime tree is much cooler than a single small-ish orange tree.

Well it would go pretty well with the avocado tree. Though did you notice the Cara Cara orange makes pink juice? Because that was the big reason I wanted that specific one.

Get both!

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    3clipse wrote: »
    Don't citrus trees take on the order of 10+ years to start bearing fruit?

You should time travel, ask future Cambiata which she went with and if she's satisfied, and make your decision based on that.

Fast Growing Trees (where I buy my trees) sell trees that bear fruit in two years.

Edit: Actually the Meyer Lemon I bought got a lemon in the first year. But that was a larger tree, I don't get a choice on tree size for the lime and orange, they only have one size.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Strikor wrote: »
    I feel like a single small-ish lime tree is much cooler than a single small-ish orange tree.

Well it would go pretty well with the avocado tree. Though did you notice the Cara Cara orange makes pink juice? Because that was the big reason I wanted that specific one.

Get both!

My dilemma is cost. Both is over $200. I'd rather buy one of them for $100 this year, and then the other for $100 next year. But then the added problem comes up that in two years this is the first time I've seen them both available for Texas, so I'm flummoxed again. And I wanted to spend that money on the tushy bidet attachment for our toilets. Maybe I should get one tree, one tushy.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Get the pink orange!

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    yes get the bidet

get the orange because they're rarer I think

then get the lime in a few years

win win win

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I think I've decided on the lime and getting the pink orange later. They may be rare but FGT has them at least every few years, so I'll just have to wait for it. Limes are more generally useful in cooking, IMO. And go well with our lemon. And I still am going to get a tushy, just not today.

• Options
    that was my thought too, seems to have a lot more uses

• Options
    So apparently this billboard is up in a tiny town about 50 minutes from where I live:

Ejb3QjM.jpg

Apparently it's a protest because Dallas is removing a confederate memorial.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I wonder how much to rent the spot below and put up a big painting of Sherman's march to the sea.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I did a GIS and found this while searching for "painting of Sherman's march to the sea."

sherman-march.jpg

Daaaaaaamn

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    Get the pink orange!
    I think I've decided on the lime and getting the pink orange later. They may be rare but FGT has them at least every few years, so I'll just have to wait for it. Limes are more generally useful in cooking, IMO. And go well with our lemon. And I still am going to get a tushy, just not today.

Pink isn't orange! Quit messing with my head!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My downstairs neighbours cat is hammering at my back door. Last time I let her in she set up camp on my couch and wouldn't leave. Not falling for that again, cat.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    My downstairs neighbours cat is hammering at my back door. Last time I let her in she set up camp on my couch and wouldn't leave. Not falling for that again, cat.

Its too late. You've let her in once.
    You are her pet now.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Maybe you'll get lucky and she'll be a party cat.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    This entire floor of my apartment complex smells like a dude farted the entire length of the building and then tried to cover it up with equally-awful-smelling cleaning supplies.

It's the worst mix of sulphur and fake floral perfumed nose-burning cleaning chemicals. And the hallways have absolutely zero ventilation. Pray for me.

• Options
    This entire floor of my apartment complex smells like a dude farted the entire length of the building and then tried to cover it up with equally-awful-smelling cleaning supplies.

It's the worst mix of sulphur and fake floral perfumed nose-burning cleaning chemicals. And the hallways have absolutely zero ventilation. Pray for me.

I feel attacked

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    lmT2boel.jpg

This weird snow melt pattern has happened the past few years. I don’t know why the snow melts first in that spot, when it doesn’t get extra sun during the day, and in the evening the tree blocks the sun from that spot.

Is the tree collecting warmth and that happens to be where the roots are? That was my guess but doesn’t explain why it’s just that patch and not a circle around the tree.

• Options
    Trees radiate heat, especially from sunlight they absorb, and snow reflects it. The bases of trees will generally melt snow more quickly than an open field will. There's almost maybe a giant root that runs under that that makes that spot less cold maybe?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Giant pit of decaying bodies throwing off waste heat.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Aliens.jpg

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Isn't plant decomposition exothermic? So that area looks to be where the majority of the leaves would land and even if you do a good job of raking it up there would be a lot of small particles left over that would start to decay once it gets warm enough.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    My first thought is that the snow that had been up on the tree limbs melted, hit the ground, contributed to the melting there beneath the tree, and then soaked into the ground.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    My first thought is that the snow that had been up on the tree limbs melted, hit the ground, contributed to the melting there beneath the tree, and then soaked into the ground.

That makes a lot more sense than my theory.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Trees radiate heat, especially from sunlight they absorb, and snow reflects it. The bases of trees will generally melt snow more quickly than an open field will. There's almost maybe a giant root that runs under that that makes that spot less cold maybe?

That was something like what I was originally thinking, it just seemed odd since the tree on the other side of the house seems to be melting the ground at a more circular pattern.

RmHo2rvl.jpg
    chromdom wrote: »

This might be it. Most of the branches on this tree are mainly focused Eastward, where the branches on the tree in the front are more evenly distributed (with a slight preference towards the South).
    Daimar wrote: »
    Isn't plant decomposition exothermic? So that area looks to be where the majority of the leaves would land and even if you do a good job of raking it up there would be a lot of small particles left over that would start to decay once it gets warm enough.

I'll have you know I take great care to neglect my yard evenly across all surfaces.

Either way, I'm probably going to have that tree either trimmed or removed this year (it had a few limbs that somebody said looked like Fire blight). And if that same patters keeps up after the tree is gone, then we know we're down to bodies, aliens, or both.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Just about to drop £2200 on hiring a digger, whacker plate and various materials to have our drive re done.

Father in law is doing all the work so the cost isn't too bad! Hiring a company would cost thousands more In labour whereas my father in law is being paid in baked goods and cups of tea.

This should hopefully be the last big spend on the house for a while.

Just hope the digger doesn't get nicked off our drive.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    My parents moved out of our renovation house and back to their 13+ month nightmare repair. Their sidings are incomplete, the front door doesn't work, only one of the floors has water, and the kitchen is currently unassembled cabinet carcasses waiting to be installed. But the roof is on and building weatherproof so they're headed back in the knowledge the leaks have stopped and the roof is actually now supported and won't just pancake the house in a serious earthquake. That, and Mum is hoping actually living on site will give the builders a bit of a boot in the arse to complete the work, because she's feeling like they're dragging it out a bit now it's winding down into the finishing phase.

But that means our own build and renovation can finally begin, which is quite exciting. We're still waiting on final approval for the consents (hopefully this week), and also that whole landscape architect earthworks drama to resolve (maybe next week), but overall we're feeling like we've finally made it to launch position and now just waiting for the final green light.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    But that means our own build and renovation can finally begin, which is quite exciting. We're still waiting on final approval for the consents (hopefully this week), and also that whole landscape architect earthworks drama to resolve (maybe next week), but overall we're feeling like we've finally made it to launch position and now just waiting for the final green light.

Good luck, Director!

We need pictures so we can live vicariously through a project. Seeing stuff happen for other people quietens the voices inside that make me want to knock down walls or do anything more drastic to my own place.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »

Good luck, Director!

We need pictures so we can live vicariously through a project. Seeing stuff happen for other people quietens the voices inside that make me want to knock down walls or do anything more drastic to my own place.

Yeah, I want to shoot over today or tomorrow with one of the DSLRs so I can take some decent 'before' photos for prosperity.

I need to get my hands on a copy of the finalised plans as well. My wife keeps replying to the Architect without CCing me in, and I keep dropping out of conversations.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I don’t to be the grumpy neighbor but when I arrived home tonight, 6 teens and their dog were in my yard/driveway. I waited for them to move out of my way so I could park and instead of leaving my lot they just moved over a few paces and decided to hang out in the front yard. :|

I get that our rock is pretty cool, but have some manners and at least scamper when the residents are home!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    I don’t to be the grumpy neighbor but when I arrived home tonight, 6 teens and their dog were in my yard/driveway. I waited for them to move out of my way so I could park and instead of leaving my lot they just moved over a few paces and decided to hang out in the front yard. :|

I get that our rock is pretty cool, but have some manners and at least scamper when the residents are home!

This is a totally acceptable situation to yell at strangers, by the way.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    There’s only three people alive I can confront and/or yell at and that’s @Moriveth and my two kids

I couldn’t even yell at my own siblings to get off my lawn!

Usually my solution to any problem I have with someone is to ghost them until they go away. Can’t exactly do that on my own property

Janson on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    get some real ghosts to haunt your yard
    problem solved

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Could you turn on the lawn sprinklers?

• Options
    That also seemed like prime honking of the horn until they decided somewhere else is more pleasant.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    God damn, the house behind me is on fire!

Firemen are busting in right now and smoke is billowing out the top floor windows.

This is fucked i hope the people are okay

• Options
    Landscape Architect has unexpectedly beat the Council consents. He has plans he'd like to show us tomorrow.

... I'm not actually sure which Landscape Architect, though.

• Options
    Next week we are getting our fence replaced and I am jazzed. Especially jazzed since home insurance is going to pay for most of it since a heavy windstorm knocked down a portion of our fence. I've been waiting on planting some of my stuff in the ground because I didn't want tender young plants to be in the way of contract workers, once it's up I can go crazy! ALSO, we'll finally get a gate behind our back yard.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Finally had some time last night to do some touch-ups where the carpet fitters had dragged carpet across walls, or where I'd made a mess second-fixing the sockets / switches. I spent a good hour scouring the walls touching up marks and making sure I didn't miss any

Queue me coming back upstairs after washing the brush out to spot a massive mark right at eye-level as you open the door to the stairs

I'm going to leave it as a mental health exercise, I think

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Landscape architect was the good one who was very busy. He apologised and proceeded to present exceedingly good plans. Like, I was immediately concerned how much these guys were costing us because they were so good. They literally had books on how to design zoos and schools and major urban park sitting around while they showed us plans for our 50's box home next to the train tracks. So you know, that came out alright.

And the council consents came in same day. So that's basically everything. All systems green, we're go for launch.

Pretty excited. Now I can watch my savings evaporate like they never existed.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Janson you should tell those kids that if they want to hang out on the rock, they need to help with the yard work or something. Get some free labor.

I'm so excited to see the changes to the house, Fishman. I hope your remembered to take photos! Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.